Would u give up lunch for Xhr in Hermitage?

TWOJERSEYGIRL

Hi All:

Need some opinions please. I have 1 1/2hrs in Hermitage with a choice of additional 1hr if we eat a box lunch on bus. I've been to Louve, Rykes & other major musuems. Is passing up a nice Russian lunch worth it? We still wouldn't have time for the gold room?

Thanks Twojerseygirl

Hi All:

Need some opinions please. I have 1 1/2hrs in Hermitage with a choice of additional 1hr if we eat a box lunch on bus. I've been to Louve, Rykes & other major musuems. Is passing up a nice Russian lunch worth it? We still wouldn't have time for the gold room?

Thanks Twojerseygirl

Hands down, stay at the Hermitage!! There is so much to see and usually they try to sprint you through the collections. Take the additional time, I've been there 2 times and would love to return. If you only have 2 days in St. Pete's see as much as you can.

P.S. The Gold Room is amazing, but I was far more impressed with the impressionist collection.

Absolutely, go for the extra time at the Hermitage. For me, this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I wanted every minute there that I could get. A lunch is just a lunch. You will not regret your time there. It is wonderful!!.

YES !!!!! We have seen many of the finest museums in the world and nothing compares with the Hermitage. Lunch is lunch, but you may only go to the Hermitage once in your lifetime and it's beauty cannot be explained.

If it were me, i would even skip the box lunch on the bus for extra time in the Hermitage. Eat more at breakfast and skip lunch entirely. The Hermitage is a once in a lifetime despite the Louvre and Rijks. And Russian food in general leaves a lot to be desired anyhow unless you are eating at a first class hotel or restaurant.

I traveled to St Petersburg in 1989 when it was called Leningrad.I'm not what you would call an Art Lover but I was more than impressed with the Hermitage.I'm looking forward to returning.When I saw painting by Gaugan,I said to myself 'Hey,I saw that painting on McHales Navy:D.I would not not hesitate to skip lunch if I returned.Its not like you'll go hungry cruising...................Frank:)

I've been to St Petersburg three times and spent more than 4 hours at the Hermitage each time and I still haven't seen everything I want to see. I would skip dinner to stay longer at the Hermitage.

Hi All:

Thanks Twojerseygirl

starve if you have to - just spend as much time as possible at the Hermitage. It's a gem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ONE & ALL

This is the first time that everyone that responded agreed unanimously on a thread posting. Usually I find lots of disagreements. Will definitely do my fine dining in the van. Again you all came through like pro's.:D

Regards Twojerseygirl Natalie

Hi All:

Need some opinions please. I have 1 1/2hrs in Hermitage with a choice of additional 1hr if we eat a box lunch on bus. I've been to Louve, Rykes & other major museums. Is passing up a nice Russian lunch worth it? We still wouldn't have time for the gold room?

Thanks Twojerseygirl

Having eaten many more Russian meals than I care to consider, take the box lunch (better yet smuggle some good Celebrity food from the ship) and spend the extra hour in the Hermitage. It is truly one of the great museums of the world. The holdings are incredible--by virtue of being stolen twice, first by the Germans then by the Russians. And the building itself would be an over-the-top opulent artwork even if empty! Unless you absolutely hate art, 2 1/2 hours will still be way too little time.

Skip the extra hour. You will see that the museum is so crowded, that it's hard to see much more in an extra hour. By crowded, I mean wall to wall people. At least is was for me one August.

One reason a lunch hour is offered is so that the tour guide can eat if you are doing a full day of touring. If you brown bag it from the ship, bring something for the guide. We were there last summer and agree with everyone other than the preceding poster that you should spend as much time as possible at the museum. Enjoy your cruise.

I never had a single good meal in Russia ( I was there in 1987). They aren't known for their cuisine! It's Kiev this or Kiev that- some tomatos and cucumbers. Maybe even some pickled herring. Yuck. Do extra time at the Hermitage.

Give me lunch - with the people. We will see the Hermitage and Gold Room. We will not go stressy trying to see everything in St. Petersburg. But I don't need to see all the 'sites'. On our 2 days I want lunch with locals and lunch at a restaurant - where we can mingle with everyone else.

I guess it is up to you what travelling is about. The history and the riches of the past have their place. But what is doing now - with the people across the continents. So the food is not 'good' - what does that mean? Many tourists to the good old USA probably find our food not so good. When you consider where tour groups take people and their trying to 'appease' everyone inexpensive and bland are the key words for tour groups.

FYI...Be careful taking anything off the ship in St. Pete. I grabbed a banana from the buffet and put in in my pack for a snack later in the day. I was met with great hostility at the gates to Red Square (we flew to Moscow) because of that banana. I got stopped and searched and my group kept walking. I was a little nervous as I saw my guide walking very fast away from me. For anyone that has been there the guards are very intimidating. It all worked out though, but he did keep the banana.

Although we enjoyed the lunches provided from Denrus Tours, (one was borscht and beef stroganoff), since it was the one and only time that we could see the Hermitage, I would opt to spend the extra hour there if there were a chance to see even more than we did. As noted in an earlier post, if the displays are not to your liking just look up, down or around. The walls, floors and ceilings are works of art in themselves! Have a great time!:D

If it were me, i would even skip the box lunch on the bus for extra time in the Hermitage. Eat more at breakfast and skip lunch entirely. The Hermitage is a once in a lifetime despite the Louvre and Rijks. And Russian food in general leaves a lot to be desired anyhow unless you are eating at a first class hotel or restaurant.

As a Russian I don't agree with this ;) , but absolutely agree about spending more time in the museum.. It's not possible to see 1/100 of it even with an additional time!!!

I spend a month + 1 week in St.Pete and went 5 times to the Hermitage and didn't see everything.

It takes 11 years/ 8 hours a day/ 30 sac (or 1 minute?) to see all arts.

I never had a single good meal in Russia ( I was there in 1987). They aren't known for their cuisine! It's Kiev this or Kiev that- some tomatos and cucumbers. Maybe even some pickled herring. Yuck. Do extra time at the Hermitage.

My guess is there is a lot of changes from 1987 to present day (just as China is a lot changed from when my Mother toured it during the early 1990's) as last summer when I did the Baltic Cruise we did eat lunch at a upscale restaurant in Saint Petersburg and had excellent food. The menu selection was huge and not limited to Kiev, and pickled herring. It was difficult to make a decision, but among the 5 of us everyone enjoyed their selection and my husband and 18 year old son are very picky. However, I would still take the extra hour at the Hermitage if someone is only scheduled for 90 minutes or so there.

. The menu selection was huge and not limited to Kiev, and pickled herring..

Modern Russian cuisine is greatly influenced by Western Europen cuisins, for example French..It goes from the time when rich people in Czar's Russia had european chiefs and nannies.

Aside from Hermitage, I would definitely got to Petergoff.. while it's replica of Versailles it's much more interesting and rich, partly because Russian Czars hadn't spent so much on all wars like Napoleon did.

Archived