Anchorage hotel with shuttles?

gonna go cruising

Comfort Inn on Ship Creek has an airport shuttle and train shuttle - it is actually close enough to the train station that you could walk if you don't have much luggage.

The Clarion also offers shuttles to both.

They are both Choice Hotels - www.choicehotels.com

Thank you for the quick reply. I just looked after your post and of course it is booked. Our trip is last minute and I was afraid we would run into this. I shall keep checking though in case someone cancels.:)

There are several hotels near the airport that all have shuttles including Courtyard by Marriott, West Coast Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Microtel, and the Millenium. Not sure if they have train shuttles so you might contact them individually.

http://www.marriott.com

http://www.coasthotels.com

http://www.hiexpress.com

http://www.microtel.com

http://www.millenium.com

There are several hotels near the airport that all have shuttles including Courtyard by Marriott, West Coast Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Microtel, and the Millenium. Not sure if they have train shuttles so you might contact them individually.

http://www.marriott.com

http://www.coasthotels.com

http://www.hiexpress.com

http://www.microtel.com

http://www.millenium.com

Thanks! Going to check these out now!

Thanks. I booked Springhill but really wanted to take the train so may change to Ramada now!

Other than the Alaska Native Heritage Center, the Ramada Muldoon really isn't near much of anything of interest to tourists. However, if you are spending only one night, it is ok but be aware it is in a rather interesting area known for bars, some fast food places, and a strip joint. Might be better off at the downtown Ramada or staying at the Springhill.

Other than the Alaska Native Heritage Center, the Ramada Muldoon really isn't near much of anything of interest to tourists. However, if you are spending only one night, it is ok but be aware it is in a rather interesting area known for bars, some fast food places, and a strip joint. Might be better off at the downtown Ramada or staying at the Springhill.

I have to disagree, this is not a bad area, and I have stayed here several times. Never any problem at night and way better than the Days Inn downtown- which is dicy. :) You most likely will have a wait for the shuttles so plan some extra time.

Just giving my take on a basic lower price lodging option that includes both shuttles the poster asked for.

We drive by this place virtually every day and it's remoteness is a major drawback. It may be ok but it is pretty much removed from the tourist areas. Dining is limited to a very good Chinese restaurant, the Whaler's restaurant (pretty good hamburgers) and fast food chains like McDonalds and KFC. Of course, this can all change next year since the CIRI Native Corporation is building a huge mall on what was once an RV park. Plans include a Target store, restaurants, and a multiplex theater that will certainly enhance the strip mall nature of the area.

Check out reviews on the Ramada Anchorage Limited and other Anchorage hotels at http://www.tripadvisor.com Unfortunately, summer rates are totally inflated for what you get up here - it's the nature of a seasonal busy but many locals are embarassed an what seems to be a "raise the prices for the tourists" approach.

As an aside, the University of Alaska Anchorage campus does rent out dorm rooms for the summer on a nightly basis. This is best suited to someone with a rental car although the campus is served by public transportation. You can contact UAA's Housing Office at 907 751-7364 or check out their website at http://www.uaa.alaska.edu Rates go from $50.00 for a single to $115.00 for a quad unit.

we stayed at the Hawthorne Suites last week and they have a free shuttle to the airport. We didn't use it as we had a rental car, though. I ran into the same problem with finding a hotel in Anchorage. They sure book up quickly. My first 10 choices were gone but the Hawthorne Suites were nice enough and large for our family of four. Had a great free breakfast with eggs, sausage and Belgian waffles, etc.

We drive by this place virtually every day and it's remoteness is a major drawback. It may be ok but it is pretty much removed from the tourist areas. Dining is limited to a very good Chinese restaurant, the Whaler's restaurant (pretty good hamburgers) and fast food chains like McDonalds and KFC. Of course, this can all change next year since the CIRI Native Corporation is building a huge mall on what was once an RV park. Plans include a Target store, restaurants, and a multiplex theater that will certainly enhance the strip mall nature of the area.

Check out reviews on the Ramada Anchorage Limited and other Anchorage hotels at www.tripadvisor.com Unfortunately, summer rates are totally inflated for what you get up here - it's the nature of a seasonal busy but many locals are embarassed an what seems to be a "raise the prices for the tourists" approach.

As an aside, the University of Alaska Anchorage campus does rent out dorm rooms for the summer on a nightly basis. This is best suited to someone with a rental car although the campus is served by public transportation. You can contact UAA's Housing Office at 907 751-7364 or check out their website at www.uaa.alaska.edu Rates go from $50.00 for a single to $115.00 for a quad unit.

I stayed at the Ramada Muldoon last year. Booked really early and the rate was something like $65/night. Nothing special but I liked the location actually - away from the downtown traffic hassles for example. I did have a car though. It depends on what you are looking for. One appealing thing to me was the free internet (unfortunately I often have to work when I travel, though that means I can travel a lot more frequently than most). Trip Advisor didn't have glowing reviews of this property but I found it more than adequate. Another thing they had was washer/dryer - very helpful after 3 nights at Wonder Lake campground and before our cruise the next day.

I considered the Ramada Muldoon again for this summer but between the Extended Stay Deluxe through Hotwire and a free room at the Days Inn through their Best Rate Guarantee (this hotel gets low reviews but hey, it is free!), I am all set for very cheap this summer.

There are actually two Extended Stays in Anchorage. One is downtown while the other is on 36th Avenue and the Seward Highway. This one is very close to a number of restaurants including the locally popular Moose's Tooth Pizza restaurant.

A car is a real plus if one stays at the Ramada Limited since it is on the east side of town.

There are actually two Extended Stays in Anchorage. One is downtown while the other is on 36th Avenue and the Seward Highway. This one is very close to a number of restaurants including the locally popular Moose's Tooth Pizza restaurant.

A car is a real plus if one stays at the Ramada Limited since it is on the east side of town.

Thanks for the info. We have the Extended Stay Deluxe downtown. Thanks for the tip on the Moose's Tooth pizza restaurant.

John

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. I was able to get the Springhill Suites for 181 and Hawthorne was 235. I think I can get to the train for less than the amount of the difference. At least Springhill does the airport shuttle and depending on if they are busy they will try to get us to the train as well. I know the rates are no deal but that was the best I could do so I shall just be happy with my Vancouver Priceline deal and bite the bullet for Anchorage.

How bad is it.. stayed there a couple of years ago and it was okay but is it really that bad now? Since you live in Anchorage I'd like your input. . we are just crashing there for the night getting there around 9:00 p.m and catching train the next a.m. at 9....

Always appreciate a local's perspective on things:)

p.s. .. sorry i misspelled your name

How bad is it.. stayed there a couple of years ago and it was okay but is it really that bad now? Since you live in Anchorage I'd like your input. . we are just crashing there for the night getting there around 9:00 p.m and catching train the next a.m. at 9....

It was me who posted, I consider this place a dump. Junky beds, dicey area at night. Also on the same page is Murray. My opinion only.

My wife stayed there once with a statewide teacher's conference and was not impressed. The rooms all surround a small courtyard that can get very noisy and people were awfully loud at times.

If it is just one night, you'll probably do ok but there are better places to stay. For convenience alone, the Comfort Inn on Ship Creek is walking distance to the Alaska Railroad depot. It's fairly new although close to the bridge that connects downtown Anchorage with the port of Anchorage; too bad it is apparently booked. The Hilton (pricey) and the Anchorage Hotel (historic but ok) are also fairly close to the depot as is the Howard Johnson's (formerly a Holiday Inn). A downtown location with a good reputation is the Copper Whale Inn, a b&b next to the popular Simon and Seafort's restaurant.

Good luck on finding a suitable place. http://www.anchorage.net is a good source for listings.

I am also staying there just for one night in July. But for free (best rate guarantee) I can't complain. Also will only be there for a relatively short time (arrive 9pm one night, need to repack and shop the next morning before my flight to Katmai). I don't think any hotel will ever compare with the Travelodge Col Springs I stayed at last September. Now THAT was a dump!!

Aww. c'mon do tell;) Thanks for the input... we always put a lot of stock into "local" opinions bec. after all you aren't visitors and being a former TA I can tell you that one person's poison is another's passion when it comes to hotels! And even cruises.. I've heard 'horror stories' for the same week at the same propery from two clients depending on their perspective.. I take everything I read on here as advice and opinion from a fellow traveler that I may or may not agree with but not as "gospel"..

Aww. c'mon do tell;) Thanks for the input... we always put a lot of stock into "local" opinions bec. after all you aren't visitors and being a former TA I can tell you that one person's poison is another's passion when it comes to hotels! And even cruises.. I've heard 'horror stories' for the same week at the same propery from two clients depending on their perspective.. I take everything I read on here as advice and opinion from a fellow traveler that I may or may not agree with but not as "gospel"..

OK, from a local's point of view and considering that most cruise ship visitors to Anchorage do not have cars, the best bet, even if it costs more, is to stay in the downtown area at one of the so-called "chains". I've never been a fan of the hotels over on Gambell Street/Seward Highway or those by the small plane airport known as Merrill Field. They might be cheaper but you get what you pay for. Further out at 36th and the Seward Highway one can fine an Extended Stay, a Residence Inn by Marriott, and a well-regarded Best Western Golden Lion. Again, having your own transportation is a necessity.

In the downtown area, I really like the Extended Stay Downtown (formerly the local Aspen Hotel), the Clarion Suites, the Hawthorne Suites, and the Comfort Inn at Ship Creek. They are newer yet walking distance to all downtown shopping, restaurants, etc. The Sheraton is a nice hotel but it is several blocks east of the tourist area; some complain that their rooms overlook the city cemetary but the hotel itself is great. The Howard Johnsons (formerly Holiday Inn) has a great location but it's always seemed in need of more lights inside. The Anchorage Hotel is right next to the Hilton and very historic. When I worked for the University and brought up candidates for job interviews, they really liked it.

I'm also forgetting the downtown Marriott which has a good reputation as does the Westmark Hotel (good location), the Hilton (variable rooms and views) and the grand Captain Cook Hotel.

Have to also put in a word for some excellent bed and breakfasts that are listed at http://www.anchorage.net A local favorite during the off season is the Copper Whale Inn which is right next to the popular Simon and Seaforts restaurant.

Anchorage continues to add more lodging every year. Thankfully, there seems to be a focus on the mid-range properties which, hopefully, will make things more affordable.

Now that Cruise Critic is owned by Trip Advisor, check out the Anchorage listings. I enjoy reading them since some are quite entertaining.

We are letting a young couple have our ressie at the Days Inn and staying at Clarion Suites.. got a good deal and after roughing it for 3 nights I will be ready for a hair dryer and a free breakfast :) Not to mention hopefully getting the car back to Spenard Rd and checked in by 6 so I can give my new DH a short walk around downtown.. We usually stay at Choice Hotels and always find them satisfactory. We stayed at Capt Cook twice and it's just too much $$ for what you get IMHO... and it was during TA days so of course not as expensive.

Thank you for posting these hotels, really... I am glad to give advice on Charlotte, NC but unfortunately it's not a very interesting place:rolleyes:

Absolutely agreed on the cost of luxury hotels up here. During the off season, they drop their rates spectacularly. We used to get University rates at the Captain Cook during the fall for $79.00; heaven knows what they charge during the peak season yet they are always booked to the max.

The Clarion Suites are very nice and only a block from the downtown Fifth Avenue mall, Nordstroms, and JC Penneys.

I think the real overcharges are at Denali National Park. No hotel up there is worth the $250.00-$350.00 a night charge. That's why we prefer the lodging up at Healy. I know the argument that this is a seasonal business but enough already on the inflated prices.

Glad the information was helpful. As a local of 35 years, always glad to chip in my two cents, especially if it can improve someone's vacation.

We got a great deal on a "customized tour" from a local co. so ended up paying about $150 a day per person total for car, lodging and tours. I know gas and food are high but still figure that's a bargain for Alaska! We are staying at Eagle River Motel one night, McK Princess one night just bec. I love the location and two nights at Denali River Cabins before heading back to Anchorage.... leaving in two days!

Thank you for all the advice you take time to give on the boards! :)

Archived