Anchorage hotel with shuttles?

gonna go cruising

Oh, you know about the Eagle River Motel! We also have a Microtel out here and they're advertising $99.00 a night. Wait until you see how Eagle River has grown. New restaurants, new stores, and the largest Fred Meyers supercenter in the chain.

Glad my contributions help since I love giving my local perspective on things.

Having a brain F** re "Fred Meyers".. I know there's a Walmart near the motel to stock up on water, some cokes etc. before we head up Parks Highway but is Fred Meyers the same???

Have not decided what to do on Parks Hwy bet. there and Talkeetna yet... I would love to go by Plettners since I'm a doggie lover and active in Humane Soc. but I see soooo many dogs here and friend runs Yukon Quest each year so I can get a 'fix' in Carcross any time... got a couple job offers w/ cruise line etc. over the years.. wish I'd taken the paralegal offer in Juneau 10 years ago .. oh well.. maybe my new DH will fall in love w/ the place and want to move up there... I can only dream :rolleyes: ;)

Oh, you know about the Eagle River Motel! We also have a Microtel out here and they're advertising $99.00 a night. Wait until you see how Eagle River has grown. New restaurants, new stores, and the largest Fred Meyers supercenter in the chain.

Glad my contributions help since I love giving my local perspective on things.

Fred Meyers is one of the two major grocery stores in Alaska, the other being Carrs/Safeway. They're based on Portland; locals refer to it as Freddies. It's a very well organized store and the largest store in the area. To get to Freddies, leave the Eagle River Motel, turn right, and go to the third traffic light. Can't miss it! Walmart is a different store but I know Freddies carries more including having some of the cheapest gas in the area (currently going for $2.91 to $2.99 per gallon of unleaded).

On your way to Talkeetna, turn off in Wasilla and visit the Iditarod Museum. Very few know about it. We saw two tour busses enjoying holding some seven week old puppies.

A great lunch stop is the Best Western Lake Lucille Lodge and the Shoreline Restaurant. Beautiful view of the lake and excellent food.

Funny how this place grows on you once you've seen it. The enchantment of Alaska is real. Despite the long winters, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Alaska Airlines just announced new service to Hawaii so there's always that for an escape when temps drop below freezing.

Reddington also has the cheapest cart rides in Wassila at the Sled Dog Museum for $5. They also have stuffed Togo, Balto is in Cleveland. I think one of the most interesting things between Anchorage and Talkeetna is Eklutna Spirit House tours. About an hour but an extremely interesting tour.

I am surprised that you haven't been to/know about Fred Meyer's- Carolyn??? In Washington too. Clearly a store that has everything. Excellent for lunch at their deli, almost more choices than the cruise ship in some stores. :)

Yeah, Freddies is an institution up here. There's also one in Juneau, Wasilla, Fairbanks, Soldotna, and several in Anchorage.

Budget Queen is right about that sled dog ride. It is only $5.00 and a real bargain compared to what others cost. Again, it's not something a lot of people know about.

Re F. Meyers: I've never grocery shopped in Alaska or Seattle soo...(just get water etc. on ship/hotel etc. since cost isn't factor) and also since I am a "cruisetour" person more than a "driver" esp. since I used to lead group for the travel agency and hey, when you aren't paying you go whatever way they want you to! :D .. New DH wants to get water etc. and insisted on renting a car so...... to each his own = we'll see....

We aren't doing the kart rides, will save that for next trip but had already planned a stop at the Iditarod venue and are definitely now looking forward to it... We are meeting up with some friends in Talkeetna and from near Denali that I haven't seen for a several years and who are anxious to meet the hubbie ;) ... going hiking etc. with them so that will be fun but we have less time to stop along the way.

But thanks for directions to F. Meyer wrote 'em down and will probably go there... my last driving round Anchorage/Eagle River was in the early-mid 90s so I'm sure it will look very different!

Honk at all the Dodge Neons Monday evening and Tues a.m and we will wave back :)

Funny how this place grows on you once you've seen it. The enchantment of Alaska is real. Despite the long winters, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Alaska Airlines just announced new service to Hawaii so there's always that for an escape when temps drop below freezing.

... could not agree more.. am actually going to meet with the attorneys and the cruise line people this trip if DH loves the place.....I saw re the Hawaii air on ADN site.. great option if you don't want Mex Riviera eh? All my friends in Ketchikan and Juneau know more about the Mex. Riv. than anyone else I know!

Hilton Homestead is in a complex next to the Hilton Garden Inn on Tudor and C streets. Walking distance to Anchorage's only TGI Fridays, a Stuart Anderson's Cattle Company, an IHOP, a new buffet restaurant, and Applebys. About a 5-10 minute cab ride to the train depot

Yeah, Hawaii is our getaway place and since Alaska Airlines is considered "local" (even though they are based in Seattle), this route is very welcome.

Have a great trip up here. Everything is turning nice and green. Will look for those Dodge Neons going down the Glenn Highway. When you get near Chugiak (next place past Eagle River), look for the Chevron Station and Bella Vista Restaurant on the left; we only live a mile from there.

::sigh:: I know I saw you at Fred M's the other night but you didn't wave back.. loved Mexican at Garcias.. Mountain has been out all day, flightseeing was incredible..

thanks for your help re Anchorage :)

Hey, we were at Fred Meyers but ate in Anchorage instead. "Garcy's" is another local place we love - great fajitas and nachos.

Yes, you hit it right for weather. We can see the mountain from our home in Peter's Creek/Chugiak and it's lovely. 10:30pm at night and the sun has yet to set. Temps at our place hit 70 today!

So glad you enjoyed the flightseeing. Good weather isn't always possible and many people are disappointed.

Do you return through Anchorage?

Archived