Coral: Panama transit (Vanc-FLL) Best side for a.m. shade/p.m. sun?

CoolChile

Hi all. First post, getting my feet wet. So many good posters out there in cruise land!

We HOPE to go on Coral's repositioning *Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale* cruise this Fall. I need to book (hope we're not too late :eek: ) but after perusing here, I'm still not clear whether to book port or starboard to get MORNING SHADE and late AFTERNOON SUN on the balcony.

If only "THEY" had made the canal straight through and east-west, I wouldn't be having a problem figuring this out. :D :D :D

CoolChile

I agree with Tarheelbelle. Your trip pretty much breaks down into three directional parts. The first part is heading south for 12 days therefore the starboard side meets your criteria on that leg. The second leg for three days heads east making the aft the only section then that gets top marks. The last part of you trip is heading north for two days making the port side where you'd want to be. So, taking all that into consideration it appears that the starboard side meets your criteria for the majority of the trip.

CoolChile

Welcome aboard. We are on the same cruise but will be joining you in SF. We are on the starboard side so as to get a good view of the city when we leave on Sept 26. It was my understanding this cruise was sold out but I am sure there will be space available as the 90 day window approaches. Good luck and be sure to join the our roll call forum "Panama Canal Sept 26,2007"

49er

Nancy

Port-Starboard... never can get it right:-) In landlubber terms, we are on the left side of the ship looking towards the bow. Should afford a good view of the city as we go under the Golden Gate.

49er

Michael, Tarheelbelle, larsen and 49er: Thanks for your thoughtful responses (and your welcome 49er). YOU unfortuneately were right 49er -- this cruise is sold out. So nevermind praying to the upgrade fairy, I'm working on the one who makes people cancel so we can join the Coral panama transit roll-call Sept 25 ;)

CoolChile

Nancy

Port-Starboard... never can get it right:-) In landlubber terms, we are on the left side of the ship looking towards the bow. Should afford a good view of the city as we go under the Golden Gate.

49er

Here's a tip. PORT has four letters. LEFT has four letter. Starboard has more than four letter. Right has more than four letters.

Nancy

49er

I think he's got it!:D :D :D

Left + Port= 4 letters Now add PINK (four letters for RED) and you will know the red light on a vessel is located on its PORT side!!

right+ starboard= more letters so it is the other colour light ie GREEN

In no time we will have you really ready!!!

Left + Port= 4 letters Now add PINK (four letters for RED) and you will know the red light on a vessel is located on its PORT side!!

You can also remember it this way - Port Wine is red, port side is the red light.

Julia:)

Speaking of colors, they also will help you while walking on the ship... When you go down the stairs or step out of the elevator, you won't probably know on wich side to go for your stateroom... So, just look at the carpets:

Left side - Port side - red light on a vessel - also red bands on the carpet - even stateroom numbers...

2281904310054935757S425x425Q85.jpg

Right side - Starboard side - green light on a vessel - also blue bands on the carpet - odd stateroom numbers...

2859618800054935757S425x425Q85.jpg

BTW, these photos are from the Coral Princess but I know the colored carpets works the same on other Princess ships.

Hope this help !

Alain R.

Archived