Will a Wells Fargo ATM work in England?

Anyone use a Wells Fargo ATM in England and other parts of Europe? The back of the card says it works with:STAR, PLUS, and Interlink.

I'm assuming you mean a Well Fargo ATM card, not the ATM itself. (That would be too heavy for me to carry.)

Yes, it should, if you have a 4-digit PIN.

Anyone use a Wells Fargo ATM in England and other parts of Europe? The back of the card says it works with:STAR, PLUS, and Interlink.

You'll see Star & Plus ATM's all over the place. Stick with the ones outside banks. The fees will be less than the private ones at shops and stores.

Dave

In addition to letting your bank know (for security purposes) that you will be travelling and using your card in England, also ask them

if Wells Fargo has an alliance with any British Banks; if they do, you will save on transaction fees by withdrawing funds only from ATMs of that particular bank. (For example, Bank of America has such an alliance with Barclay's, which has offices & ATMs throughout England.)

PS. Phone Well Fargo's 800 number, not your local branch, regarding this. If Bank of America is anything to go by, the folks at your local branch will be completely clueless about international transactions.;)

Has anyone ever had an ATM card fail that was part of a major network like Star, Plus or Cirrus because they didn't call their bank in advance? I have never called my bank and I have never had a problem. Just curious.

SelectSYS: If you have a Wells Fargo bank card (ATM or Credit)...you definitely want to call them and let them know your itinerary. I've been making reservations all over US & Europe and, just last week, they declined on 5 transactions. They're fraud dept called me to alert me of "activity" in Britain, Denmark, Nevada (home) and Calif ("you can't be in all those places at once!"). I advised them I was making advanced reservations and gave them the details of my itinerary and they lifted the hold; everything then went through. In short..yes, they will cut you off, if you don't call them. They'll also give you an access code and ph# to call from whatever countries you're visiting, in case your card is lost or stolen. (interesting side note: 2 years ago we made the same trip...I called WF then, to advise them of our itinerary, and they didn't really care, although my other credit card companies did...guess they've changed and become more diligent! Good!)

• 1 month later...
We checked with Wells Fargo and they don't have an alliance with any banks in England. My DH banks with Bank of America and they do have an agreement with Barclay.

Charlie

I have a Wells Fargo ATM card, and have used it throughout the UK and Europe. No problem. Unfortunately!!!

It is pretty funny to use an ATM card with a picture of a stagecoach in such a different place!

We checked with Wells Fargo and they don't have an alliance with any banks in England. My DH banks with Bank of America and they do have an agreement with Barclay.

Charlie

and......there are Barclays literally all over Europe. We saw/used them in the UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, and Portugal. No "other bank service fee" at the ATM's.

Has anyone ever had an ATM card fail that was part of a major network like Star, Plus or Cirrus because they didn't call their bank in advance? I have never called my bank and I have never had a problem. Just curious.

Not an ATM, but years ago we had one of our major credit cards denied on a trip thru Central Europe, because we forgot to notify them we were going to use the card abroad. Good thing we traveled with several cards. Lesson learned!:o

Archived