Transatlantic... typical formality schedule?

vjmatty

Do either the QE2 or the QM2 have a regular program of formal, informal and casual nights or does it change from crossing to crossing? I am guessing it would be two nights of each since they are 6 night crossings.... is that usually the case? As much as I love formal nights, anything more than 4 gowns to carry around between the two crossings might get a bit cumbersome :)

Do either the QE2 or the QM2 have a regular program of formal, informal and casual nights or does it change from crossing to crossing? I am guessing it would be two nights of each since they are 6 night crossings.... is that usually the case?

Would that it were so simple or logical! It also differs between the ships. QE2 is formal every night except first and last, which is informal. I have been told that my crossing tomorrow is 2 casual (I assume first/last), 3 formal and one "semi-formal" which I think is the term they use for 'informal' (jacket/tie for men, cocktail dress for ladies). Time will tell.....

Peter

Would that it were so simple or logical! It also differs between the ships. QE2 is formal every night except first and last, which is informal. I have been told that my crossing tomorrow is 2 casual (I assume first/last), 3 formal and one "semi-formal" which I think is the term they use for 'informal' (jacket/tie for men, cocktail dress for ladies). Time will tell.....

Peter

Hi Peter,

On my list for QM2 Transatlantics it quotes-First and Last night- Elegant Casual, Three days at sea -Formal ,One day at sea-informal (not that i can remember) Hope you have a great time, next Sunday i will be on QE2, speak to you on my return.

Regards,

Gavin :cool:

Ok then, for the two crossings that would be a total of 7 gowns, three cocktail dresses and two coatdresses. Believe it or not I probably won't have to shop for anything, except a second garment bag... so that I can mail the first one back home when I get to Southampton ;)

On our crossings a year ago on the QM2 is was Eastbound: Casual, Formal, Formal, Informal, Formal, and Casual; and Westbound the same: Casual, Formal, Formal, Informal, Formal, and Casual.

Would a sport jacket be appropriate for the elegant casual and/or informal nights, or is it more prudent to bring a dark suit as well as a tuxedo? My inclination is to bring all of these items, but the idea of packing all that gives me pause.

A sport coat is acceptable for casual, but I recommend bringing a sport coat, suit, and tuxedo if you can fit them in your luggage. (Wear the sport coat the first day and pack the suit and tuxedo.) It will give you more options. (For the same reason, bringing both a bow tie/cumberbund and necktie/vest gives you a lot of options for formal nights with little extra packing.)

Would a sport jacket be appropriate for the elegant casual and/or informal nights, or is it more prudent to bring a dark suit as well as a tuxedo? My inclination is to bring all of these items, but the idea of packing all that gives me pause.

I think so. I've worn a sport jacket, button down shirt, quiet tie, slacks on the QM2 on informal nights and none of my lounge-suited fellow travellers looked askance at me. But, then I try to get as much use as possible from by blazers and sport jackets because the only suit I own is a tuxedo.

Paul

Thank you, flag fan and pb82 for the quick responses.

Pb82, I'm glad to hear that you have worn a blazer and didn't feel out of place on the informal nights.

Flag fan, your suggestion to wear the blazer was also made by my wife, and I think it helps the packing aspect. As to your advice regarding the cummerbund/bow tie and vest/necktie, that is what I plan to do to create different looks for the three formal nights.

Of course, you both offered good suggestions, so I am still confused. :). If I had to wager, I'm guessing my desire to be "super prepared" will win out over my desire to travel lightly.

The "rules" suggest that sports jacket should be fine for informal.

The convention may be different. I'll let you have my view later in the week.

For what it is worth, "Elegant Casual" seemed very casual compared to my normal experience of first night fashion, but then QE2 (on which all but 24 hours of my Cunard experience represents) doesn't do casual.

You also need to consider what will make you happy, whilst following rules and respecting conventions.

FWIW, I have yet to find a reliable way of getting a suit on board in decent nick. Fortunately my suit is of sufficent quality that the creases fall out very quickly.

I suppose ultimately there is no "right" answer - although there are wrong answers.

Does that raise more questions than it answers?

Matthew

Commodore Club, QM2

Since Peter doesn't own a jacket that isn't part of a suit, and won't wear a jacket without a tie, it has occurred to me that the distinction between informal and elegant casual will be meaningless. He will likely bring a tuxedo, a dark gray suit and a meduim gray suit. The medium gray will be his "elegant casual" wear.

Since Peter doesn't own a jacket that isn't part of a suit, and won't wear a jacket without a tie

I'm the same. I'd never wear a jacket on its own and just cant see the point in wearing a shirt with a collar if I don't wear a tie. I wear either a dress suit, a dark suit or a light weight suit which will double for informal nights in warm weather and elegant casual.:)

I'm the same. I'd never wear a jacket on its own and just cant see the point in wearing a shirt with a collar if I don't wear a tie. I wear either a dress suit, a dark suit or a light weight suit which will double for informal nights in warm weather and elegant casual.:)

I know it is very common to wear a blue jacket with tan pants (trousers for the cousins) but I never cared for the look myself... looks too "prep school" for me.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

Vjmatty, I think your comment about not making a distinction between informal and elegant casual brought it all into focus. As you and Malcolm have said, a tux, a dark/gray suit, and a lighter suit seems to be the way to go.

Matthew, your observation that "You also need to consider what will make you happy, whilst following rules and respecting conventions", makes perfect sense. Dressing to the nines is an essential part of the allure and the experience. Even more importantly, it will make Mrs. BillNY happy! :)

As a "new kid on the block", I truly appreciate the wisdom imparted here.

having spent the past 2 months putting together a fabulous wardrobe for me we have now turned our attention to hubby and today he bought a lovely black lounge suit - i hoped this would suffice for the whole trip as he has no "casual" jackets (waiting for shopping in the States!); I was really hoping that he could get away with the suit and a dress shirt and proper bow tie for the formal and the suit with a white shirt and tie for the semi-formal - could someone please reassure me that he won't be laughed at ......

am sailing on 26 June for 20th wedding anniversary - have splashed out on AA (although having read the threads may have not needed to do this - but we weren't to know - QMII virgin and all that)

am bouncing off the walls with excitement - thank you all for all the advice you have given me on previous threads

L

having spent the past 2 months putting together a fabulous wardrobe for me we have now turned our attention to hubby and today he bought a lovely black lounge suit - i hoped this would suffice for the whole trip as he has no "casual" jackets (waiting for shopping in the States!); I was really hoping that he could get away with the suit and a dress shirt and proper bow tie for the formal and the suit with a white shirt and tie for the semi-formal - could someone please reassure me that he won't be laughed at ......

am sailing on 26 June for 20th wedding anniversary - have splashed out on AA (although having read the threads may have not needed to do this - but we weren't to know - QMII virgin and all that)

am bouncing off the walls with excitement - thank you all for all the advice you have given me on previous threads

L

Rest assured - AA is worth the money.

Right. His clothes.

A really good lounge suit will always be acceptable. I wear one for informal/semi formal and casual/elegant casual.

I (personally) like to wear a dress suit. I own a nice one, and enjoy using it. I'd certainly encourage you to try and persuade your husband to go the extra mile, assuming he is happy.

But it isn't essential on Queen Mary 2. But please, do him a favour. Either have him wear a lounge suit and tie, or a dress suit and bow tie. Mixing the two will not work, and he will be neither fish nor fowl.

He'll always look better in a suit that (a) fits and (b) makes him happy. But a dress suit shouldn't be any less comfortable than a lounge suit.

Best of luck. You've picked a wonderful ship - and ignore those who counsel against AA grade.

Matthew

Current residence - AA Grade, Queen Mary 2, North Atlantic.

Rest assured - AA is worth the money.

But it isn't essential on Queen Mary 2. But please, do him a favour. Either have him wear a lounge suit and tie, or a dress suit and bow tie. Mixing the two will not work, and he will be neither fish nor fowl.

Matthew

Current residence - AA Grade, Queen Mary 2, North Atlantic.

Au Contraire, Matthew!

there are plenty of people who NORMALLY wear bow ties with a regular suit. In fact, Marc has done it and looks fabulous! It is a regular look for some.

It just depends on the person AND the bowtie!

Karie,

who usually thinks of accountants when she sees bowties...with or without the arm band and eyeshade!

<G>

(no offense David)

Au Contraire, Matthew!

there are plenty of people who NORMALLY wear bow ties with a regular suit. In fact, Marc has done it and looks fabulous! It is a regular look for some.

Karie,

who usually thinks of accountants when she sees bowties...with or without the arm band and eyeshade!

<G>

(no offense David)

Very common in the South actually.... in fact I know one attorney from VA who only wears bowties with his business suits. He is little guy so it is kind of cute on him.

Au Contraire, Matthew!

The suggestion was for bow tie and dress shirt. Rather different from bow tie and normal shirt.

The difference, to my mind, is important. I think that you'd look far better in a nice suit, nice shirt and sober tie than a half hearted attempt at a dress suit.

Perhaps more importantly, this look would be quite acceptable and accepted on Queen Mary 2, based on what I observe.

Ultimately, the decision isn't mine of course.

Matthew

there are plenty of people who NORMALLY wear bow ties with a regular suit.

who usually thinks of accountants when she sees bowties

it is kind of cute on him.

I think that you'd look far better in a nice suit, nice shirt and sober tie than a half hearted attempt at a dress suit.

Doesn't a lot depend on weather you want to be looked on as an accountant type or "kind of cute". I would not wear a bow tie with a normal suit (besides a black tie would look funny and I refuse to wear brightly coloured:p ties); Neither would I wear a normal tie with a dress suit.

Doesn't a lot depend on weather you want to be looked on as an accountant type or "kind of cute". I would not wear a bow tie with a normal suit (besides a black tie would look funny and I refuse to wear brightly coloured:p ties); Neither would I wear a normal tie with a dress suit.

Malcolm!

Your cover has been blown. I was looking for information for a friend on the Easycruise Board and there was a posting by phhmrk. :eek: :eek:

Malcolm, are you a closet Easycruiser?

Should we be taking your sartorial advice?:rolleyes:

David

Malcolm, are you a closet Easycruiser?

David - I've never been on Easycruise. That is not to say that I wouldn't go though. With Easycruise you go for the ports, with Cunard you go for the ships:)

Well - I certainly asked for that didn't I!

Was really hoping that I would be assured that I didn't have to worry and that hubby won't be laughed at in his very very smart black suit and bow tie - I shall take the majority advice and assume that most people are nice enough not to mind and will just appreciate that he is a very nice man in a suit .........

Have stopped counting the days now as it will be here before I know it and then it will be over (is that a bit perverse?)

Thank you all

L

Well - I certainly asked for that didn't I!

Was really hoping that I would be assured that I didn't have to worry and that hubby won't be laughed at in his very very smart black suit and bow tie - I shall take the majority advice and assume that most people are nice enough not to mind and will just appreciate that he is a very nice man in a suit .........

Have stopped counting the days now as it will be here before I know it and then it will be over (is that a bit perverse?)

Thank you all

L

June.

Ignore Malcolm. He wears a big red clown nose nad a flashing bowtie on formal night.

I am quite certain your DH will look fetching. If you want to see who looks like what, go to the sartorial splendors of the Oscars gents page and see people who wore ties with NO shirt. And were lauded for it!

Honestly, Malcom is about the strictest schoolmarm on these boards. His tastes are not necessarily those of the other 99.99999% of the population! I would wager than unless Malcolm is on your cruise, no one will even notice, and in the 21st century, a straight tie is perfectly acceptible with a tux, and a bow tie is perfectly acceptible with a business suit.

Trust me on this!

Malcolm, how many time have we got to tell you. Stop scaring the newbies.

Go back to your room!

And don't come out until I've told you you can! <G>

Karie,

<kiss,kiss>

Archived