"X" air dept strikes AGAIN!!

Cruisin_Tommy

Had a similar situation last year going through Phila Airport, going from ATL to Spain. Connection was not quite as short, but not knowing the layout in Phila, I was not a happy camper with the situation. Some courses of action: 1) Easiest course of action is to contact the airline and advise them of the connection issue, they may be able to provide you with alternatives. (These folks are not familiar with the airport and will spout the company line, but most I have dealt with are at least intelligent enough to see the problem and will look for solutions.) 2) When you get to the MIA airport speak to the gate agent and flight attendant as you board and advise them of your short connection problem. If the flight is late arriving ATL they may permit you to deplane before the rest of the passengers. In any case, they do have the ability to coordinate getting you from one gate to another with the ground personnel in ATL. I live in the ATL area and weather will not be a problem this week, so you should be able to make it. Good Luck.

DL has one flight per day ATL-YVR, which will leave at 8:30 AM. The OP probably is booked on the DL MIA-ATL flight leaving @ 6:00 AM, arriving ATL @ 7:47 AM, leaving a 43 minute connection.

The good news here is that the ATL-YVR flight leaves from A29 (at least it did yesterday, today, and is scheduled there tomorrow.), so it won't be necessary to transit out to Concourse E. If the MIA-ATL flight is reasonably on-time, he will make the flight with no sweat. Hopefully, so will the luggage!!

We don't know which ship the OP has booked. The Summit leaves 6/8. So does the Mercury. The Infinity leaves on 6/10. I hope he is on the Infinity!! (For peace of mind with luggage, of course!)

I hope he is on the Infinity!! (For peace of mind with luggage, of course!)

AG,

Infinity it is......thanks for your legwork on the flights and gates...it matched my own research. Did you notice where the originating MIA-ATL flight arrived...it looked like "B" gates to me.

B to A "should" be doable...right??

Again thanks to all for their interest in ideas...I will certainly post from YVR on 9 JUN to let all interested know what the final outcome was....

When you check into the airport for the first leg, ask the agent to request you be met by a people mover/golf cart thingy. When you get on the plane, ask again. Do you at least have decent seats in the front of the bus (oops, plane)? If not, try to prevail on check-in and/or gate agent to get one or both of you moved.

Do you have travel insurance? It could really benefit you if you get stuck in ATL and have to overnight. It could also help you if your luggage doesn't make it.

Have you contacted Delta Rebooking Department -- just call the 800# and ask for rebooking. They made several changes to our tickets for last November and rebooking made sure that seat assignments were correct and I was actually able to change flights with no additional cost because we were concerned about a short layover in ATL....

Page # 1 ideas

...situations of schedule changes were often the flier's best friend with regard to flexibility, although few people knew it... easier to call and get your flights changed to something that works better for you IF you were the "victim" of a schedule change. Agents working in this department don't have to rely on booking you into the same type of fare class if it involves a schedule change. It's pretty much get you on a flight connection that works for you and that's that.

So if you want to go to ATL the night prior and stay in a hotel, I'd give it a shot w/Delta. You've got nothing to lose.quote]

Easiest course of action is to contact the airline and advise them of the connection issue, they may be able to provide you with alternatives.... most I have dealt with are at least intelligent enough to see the problem and will look for solutions.) 2) When you get to the MIA airport speak to the gate agent and flight attendant as you board and advise them of your short connection problem. If the flight is late arriving ATL they may permit you to deplane before the rest of the passengers. In any case, they do have the ability to coordinate getting you from one gate to another with the ground personnel in ATL.

Page # 2 ideas...

Tommy,

One other suggestion. Depending on your seat assignment from MIA to ATL, you might want to see if you can move up closer to the front of the plane. I would consider center seats to move up 10+ rows which could save 3-5 minutes.

I can't count the times there have been requests for those passengers not connecting to stay in their seats to allow a few passengers with 'tight' connecting flights to get off first AND the request for the most part ignored. [Personally I hope EACH and EVERY person being unhelpful has it happen to them tenfold] Just so they can appreciate the thrill of anxiety. Not wishing anyone to miss a flight though.:)

Tommy,

One other suggestion. Depending on your seat assignment from MIA to ATL, you might want to see if you can move up closer to the front of the plane. I would consider center seats to move up 10+ rows which could save 3-5 minutes.

I can't count the times there have been requests for those passengers not connecting to stay in their seats to allow a few passengers with 'tight' connecting flights to get off first AND the request for the most part ignored. [Personally I hope EACH and EVERY person being unhelpful has it happen to them tenfold] Just so they can appreciate the thrill of anxiety. Not wishing anyone to miss a flight though.:)

Sam --

That is real good advice. OP is flying on a 757, and it can take forever to deplane from the rear of the main cabin.

Problem flying into ATL is that MANY pax have connections, and want to get off the aircraft immediately!

AG,

Infinity it is......thanks for your legwork on the flights and gates...it matched my own research. Did you notice where the originating MIA-ATL flight arrived...it looked like "B" gates to me.

B to A "should" be doable...right??

Again thanks to all for their interest in ideas...I will certainly post from YVR on 9 JUN to let all interested know what the final outcome was....

Tommy, you are correct. The MIA-ATL plane has been arriving on B Concourse. On June 7, that flight's equipment changes from MD-88 to 757. That will hopefully not cause a concourse change unfavorable to you.

B to A is definitely doable in your connection window.

I hope it goes well for you!!

Call the airline-- Our Delta flight was changed by DELTA to an earleir departure & we felt it would be too close for comfort even though the cruise line said it would work out. I walk slowly due to a minor foot problem & just did not want the stress & hurry.. DELTA was very helpful--they gave us a day later, same price, similar seats..so now we can stay an extra day & not worry abt getting to the airport in time.. Why be stressed out--check with them maybe they can help-- It did take a long time on the telephone from one Dept calling another but they came through...

Please let us know what happens. It is good information for all of us. Airlines have changed my schedule twice. But it fit my schedule anyways. What did the airline say to you?

Dear Cruising Tommy: Princess did the same thing to me in February. I had a 45 minute transfer to an international flight to Santiago at DFW. I paid an extra $200 to get on the earlier flight. 200 people missed the ship in Santiago due to their fine air plan. They caught up in the next port at considerable cost to the airline. I have elite status with Celebrity have the gotten rid of the perk that allows a free change in your air plans. They had me making a two hour stop over in ATL on my last Celebrity cruise out of San Jaun and I found there was a non stop flight to CLE and had them change it and it didn't cost me anything. Have not sailed them in 2 years, but am booked on the Mercury to Australia-NZ next February.,

:o After numerous suggestions on this thread, I have decided to bite the bullet and wade thru IVR (voice prompt) hell to try and get DELTA to change my out bound flights.

I've found a few flights from MIA to ATL on 7 JUN. Planning to buy 1 room nt near the airport if this works out.

My DW made a good point however.....if we make this change and go to ATL on the 7th, when we go back to the airport for the 0830 flt to YVR on the 8th, we will have to go thru TSA AGAIN!!:eek:

Never mind lugging all those bags around for two days thru 3 airports and various shuttle busses....:confused:

Would my close personal CC friends like to weigh in on this dilemma?

Try to go early on the 7th or ride the lightning on the 8th and hope for the best?

tommy

:o After numerous suggestions on this thread, I have decided to bite the bullet and wade thru IVR (voice prompt) hell to try and get DELTA to change my out bound flights.

I've found a few flights from MIA to ATL on 7 JUN. Planning to buy 1 room nt near the airport if this works out.

My DW made a good point however.....if we make this change and go to ATL on the 7th, when we go back to the airport for the 0830 flt to YVR on the 8th, we will have to go thru TSA AGAIN!!:eek:

Never mind lugging all those bags around for two days thru 3 airports and various shuttle busses....:confused:

Would my close personal CC friends like to weigh in on this dilemma?

Try to go early on the 7th or ride the lightning on the 8th and hope for the best?

tommy

Tommy --

I would just go ahead and fly on the 8th. You have a two-day layover in Vancouver before the Infinity leaves. So if:

(a) You miss the ATL-YVR flight, or

(b) Your bags miss the flight.

You'll still make the ship with your bags on the 10th. DL has 3 daily flights from their western hub, SLC to YVR. They will be able to get you and your bags to Vancouver, if there is a snafu.

Now, if you fly up to ATL on the 7th, and spend the night at an airport hotel, you will need to: claim your bags in ATL, take 'em to the hotel, check in, sleep, check out, get bags back to airport, check bags, go thru ATL security in the AM when the lines are a bear, etc. This could be a royal pain for you.

Leave things as they are, IMHO!!

Why not move the entire itinerary to one day earlier?

Another option would be to fly out of FLL. As has been pointed out, Delta has multiple flights from Salt Lake City to Vancouver - and they have a non-stop from Fort Lauderdale to Salt Lake City.

One thing to keep in mind - a schedule change doesn't give you unlimited changes. Generally, once you have them redo everything they won't redo it again without another schedule change.

Why not move the entire itinerary to one day earlier?

Danny,

Couple issues with your idea, good as it may be.

1) Air was an "X" special, only available to fly from MIA.

2) No room nights open in YVR thru X for the 7th.

thanks for your ideas though....

Dear Cruisn Tommy: Confirm with Celebrity that you can change your air plans on your own. Princess told me if I did my own air plans for part of the trip that they would cancel everything and I would lose $9000 that I paid for the SA cruise. I will be doing my own airfare on their cruises in the future even if it costs me more. My trip home thru ATL included a lost bag with all my stuff in it and they took 3 months to settle and I lost things I cannot replace.

In a concerned connection like this, I usually check-in very, very early to request to move to the front row seats if available. If not, try it again quietly with a flight supervisor after sitting down.

Before landing, check with her/him again for the connecting flight's boarding gate details. And upon leaving the plane's gate, I'll have the ground agent to notify the airline that I'm getting there straight.

The chance is my connecting flight will wait for me because it is a direct flight. Not to mention the hassle of taking my luggage out the plane there.

And it works for me.

request to move to the front row seats if available. If not, try it again quietly with a flight supervisor after sitting down.

:D A number of folks have suggested this strategy of sitting as close to the front of the plane as possible to facilitate a quick exit upon arrival in ATL.

My question is this...from checking seating charts it "looks" like all seats are gone forward of where we are assigned.

Does anyone know if the ticket counter agents, gate agents, or plane personnel have the abilty to move us if this is the case:confused:

If they do, a few tips on who to speak to and what specifically to say would be welcome....;)

Thanks again to all who stopped by to hear our plight and perhaps offer a few kind words...

tommy

would be to first check with the ticketing agent at the front counter, if you can't get anywhere with them, the gate agent has control of the seating and usually blocks off a number of seats to facilitate families with young children, elderly and handicapable people, check with them next and simply explain that you have a really close connection. If that doesn't work then theres always the PSA.

I do think you'll be fine so stop worrying about it and start thinking about enjoying your cruise:) .

The other thing to keep in mind is that your luggage is SUPPOSED to travel with you according to the new heightened security rules. Being said, the agent at the gate will have a manifest of passenger that are making connections, so they do know you are coming. They won't wait forever, but they are not going to push back if you are on your way. Its a lot less paperwork to hold the doors for a minute and get you onboard as a connecting passenger with a tight connection than to leave you behind, pull your bags, and rebook you.

Besides unless things have changed drastically since I left ATL, almost every flight out of Hartsfield is a few minutes late pushing back.

Dave:eek:

Besides unless things have changed drastically since I left ATL, almost every flight out of Hartsfield is a few minutes late pushing back.

Not to be a fly on the ointment but almost every flight is also a few minutes late pulling in as they typically have to wait for the gate to be clear.

In the whole scheme of things 45 minutes is a huge amount of time. Even if it takes you 15 minutes to get off the plane (sometimes it seems like you are waiting an eternity but all planes clear in less than 10 minutes) you are at most a 5 minute walk to the concourse transfer station, a maximum of 5 minutes to your new concourse, and then at most another 5 minute walk to your gate. That gives you 15 minutes of extra time.

I would not stress about this one whatsoever. The first thing you do when you get off the first flight is talk to the agent with the clipboard greeting you with the connecting gates. They have a walkie talkie and will call your connecting gate to say you are on your way. After that it is a done deal for you.

Come on guys....admit it...it's easy to by cavalier about my issue....ITS MY ISSUE!!!....LOL......

Seriously...I know it will work out...if I've worked myself up this much in advance I will be pleasantly surprised when all ends well...

It wouldn't hurt to keep my in your thoughts on FRI though....;)

I go through Atlanta all the time, and if your original flight is ontime, you'll be fine. If you miss your connection because the first flight was late, there are later flights to Vancouver, and Delta (I assume, since you're going through Atlanta) will work to get you on one of those. Since your cruise is not until Sunday, you have no worries. One thing for the future though, be very careful about making decisions based on what plane the airline will use (like the same one) - that changes ALL the time. My flights for Vancouver (in August) have changed 12 times since I booked them (equipment, etc), and I doubt seriously if the airline notified Celebrity in your case. As long as the flight leaves at the same time, and gets in around the same time, you don't often get notified. I wouldn't worry about anything - you'll get there before your cruise!!!! Have a great time.:D

Archived