"RCCL needs to Keep Voyager or Freedom class in Port Canaveral!!

The thought of losing the Mariner just makes me sick. We (DH and I) are so disappointed that it will be leaving. We made the decision after our last cruise (first on Mariner) that we were going to sail on her at least once a year from now on, and we began making changes to our budget accordingly.

We have only sailed from PC, and I can't imagine sailing from anywhere else. PC is driveable for us, and we are very familiar with the area. DH does not like to fly.

We felt that the Mariner is the perfect size for a one week cruise. We love the Sovereign, but I just don't see us going back to her, or back to short cruises. I am sure that Freedom and Liberty are wonderful, but I think it may be too big for us. Plus, unless the prices for those ships come down considerably, we will not be able to cruise once a year like planned.

So, I really was hoping this was just a rumor. Now that we know it is not, I can only hope that RC will bring another Voyager class ship to PC, and hope that most of the wonderful Mariner crew stay there also.:(

I couldn't agree with you more...

The thought of losing the Mariner just makes me sick. We (DH and I) are so disappointed that it will be leaving. We made the decision after our last cruise (first on Mariner) that we were going to sail on her at least once a year from now on, and we began making changes to our budget accordingly.

We have only sailed from PC, and I can't imagine sailing from anywhere else. PC is driveable for us, and we are very familiar with the area. DH does not like to fly.

We felt that the Mariner is the perfect size for a one week cruise. We love the Sovereign, but I just don't see us going back to her, or back to short cruises. I am sure that Freedom and Liberty are wonderful, but I think it may be too big for us. Plus, unless the prices for those ships come down considerably, we will not be able to cruise once a year like planned.

So, I really was hoping this was just a rumor. Now that we know it is not, I can only hope that RC will bring another Voyager class ship to PC, and hope that most of the wonderful Mariner crew stay there also.:(

I love the ship too. We may change from FOS in Feb. to a January Mariner sailing in early 2008. Just to say goodbye. Love the ship and crew.

We live in Daytona Beach, FL and just took our daughter and son-in-law on the Sovereign on May 21, 2007 and they are hooked! They ask us every time they see us "When are we booking our next cruise?" They are ready for a 7-nighter! (and so are we!!):D

We wouldn't drive to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale......too far for us.

I couldn't agree with the above posters more. We were looking and budgeting for our next cruise....and we finally settled on Mariner...but now she will be gone. I can not tell you had sad this makes me after planning and scheming and saving ....... snif.....:(

We had RCI into talk to us today at a training session and PC definitely WON'T be getting a Freedom Class vessel and wouldn't even commit that you all are getting another ship.....???? Sorry, she didn't look very positive but wouldn't say anything else. I tried to find out for you all.....

DH and I just sailed Mariner in February with our friends who first sailed Mariner in September 2006, loved it so much that we all booked for this past Feb... they are booked also for one in September again and are getting married on Mariner next February when we all sail the Western route...

So yeah, we're a bit committed to the Mariner... and will definitely be sorry to see her go West... best wishes, but I can't help but feel a bit greedy.

We love Mariner... just the right size, and I have to agree... a Freedom class would almost be too big for us... I for one hope that they expand the PC port and put both a Freedom AND Voyager class ship at this wonderful port. Sure would be nice if one of those ships would do a Southern Caribbean route... we're not too jazzed about flying into PR to do that route.

We like PC for the convenience... we get great airfare into Orlando from Indy and with the parks... it's easy to extend the vacation. If we had to drive, it wouldn't be bad either...

Might be nice if they brought her sister ship in - Navigator...

We had RCI into talk to us today at a training session and PC definitely WON'T be getting a Freedom Class vessel and wouldn't even commit that you all are getting another ship.....???? Sorry, she didn't look very positive but wouldn't say anything else. I tried to find out for you all.....

I really hate to hear that we will not be getting a Freedom class....I don't care to go on any larger then that class...and really don't want lower then the voyager class...so guess I might be looking at a different cruise line...

I really hate to hear that we will not be getting a Freedom class....I don't care to go on any larger then that class...and really don't want lower then the voyager class...so guess I might be looking at a different cruise line...

RCI listens to their cruisers. I'm writing a letter. We all should.

Janet -- the Voyager class were pricey too when they came out compared with Vision Class but they have come down considerably.

The Voyager prices START at $699 for a inside guarantee out of Galveston. To me that is pricey. You guys must be really rich...or Im just cheap.

You mean the next class up of ships starts even higher prices $, yikes

RCI listens to their cruisers. I'm writing a letter. We all should.

Where do you think we should direct the letter...

I am really worried if PC don't get another ship or larger then a Freedom class...

firefly333 I have a cruise for the Mariner for 3 people this Sept...after keeping an eye on it and crown and achor discounts...the total price for an E1 is $1,589 that includes all taxes...

No complain here I think that is great.:confused:

Where do you think we should direct the letter...

I am really worried if PC don't get another ship or larger then a Freedom class...

firefly333 I have a cruise for the Mariner for 3 people this Sept...after keeping an eye on it and crown and achor discounts...the total price for an E1 is $1,589 that includes all taxes...

No complain here I think that is great.:confused:

Adam Goldstien. He won't read it, but his people will.

Im sorry, BUT I dont by this statement at all...It is most likely the trainer just does not know...There is NO way that RCCL will leave PC un attended...This simply wont happen, my inside source, the same one who told me the Mariner was going West told me we will be getting a Freedom Class, it is just not yet known which one. Now If they decide to bring Genesis here that is fine with me.

Im sorry, BUT I dont by this statement at all...It is most likely the trainer just does not know...There is NO way that RCCL will leave PC un attended...This simply wont happen, my inside source, the same one who told me the Mariner was going West told me we will be getting a Freedom Class, it is just not yet known which one. Now If they decide to bring Genesis here that is fine with me.

Just got off the phone trying to put a hold on the Mariner, for October. She's almost sold out. dag nabbit. Anyway, the guy at the reservations desk knew nothing, or would say nothing. I'm glad you have an inside source. I'm starting to believe your source too.

We have sailed on Mariner twice, and are scheduled again in October of 2008. After our last trip on Mariner in October 2005, we were talking to an employee of the Port Canaveral. For what it's worth to the rumor mill, we were told that RCI had committed to the Port Authority to place a Freedom Class ship at PC.

Since then, I've been hoping that information would bear out. We have sailed out of PC seven times, and love the port. The area is easy for us to get into, and there are plenty of nice hotels and car rental facilities that just make planning a trip easy.

I just went through the reservation process on RCCL to see what ships would be in PC from Jan. 2009 thru Sept. 2009 and it is only showing Sovereign.:mad: The last sailing of Mariner from PC is Dec 29, 2008 and it does not show up again until Feb. 2009 in CA. I sure hope we are not left with only Sovereign!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2009 is shaping up to be an interesting year as far as ship home ports...I just read another thread about the Enchantment possibly moving to Tampa or Mobile..so I ask why not put Enchantment in PC to do 5 day cruises or better yet take over the Jewel itinerary of the 6 & 8 day cruises...

Jim

I wouldn't mind if this were true, where did you hear this? First time Iv heard this and Mobile especially would surprise me. Tampa and the gulf ports sure need a ship full time.

When the lady from RCI called me, I asked her about the rumor that they will bring Rhapsody to New Orleans. She said maybe, but anything can change, so they must be considering bringing in another ship for the gulf ports where they pulled out all of their full time ships.

I just went through the reservation process on RCCL to see what ships would be in PC from Jan. 2009 thru Sept. 2009 and it is only showing Sovereign.:mad: The last sailing of Mariner from PC is Dec 29, 2008 and it does not show up again until Feb. 2009 in CA. I sure hope we are not left with only Sovereign!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually,it is Dec 28th......I know cause Im on it.......first we booked it for New years eve....then it has become a final farewell:( :( :(

(Hope to stay the night before and go you know where to have a "beverage" or two..;) )

A "TA" in my Fl area informed us that although the Mariner will be leaving PC, she will be replaced with at least a similar size vessel.

With her sailing almost at full capacity, why would RCI try and fix something that already works well for them by not replacing her with a sister or even a larger sister. Tee Hee!

Only good things will come!

I'm not buying it one bit either.

There is NO WAY RCI abandons PC. IMO, there is just no way it can happen. Now it is just wait and see.

I was thinking, PC can handle a ship the size of the Freedom Class, can't it?

I think there are many reasons the crews at PC tend to be happier than at other ports heres a few: The crew buses are cheap and one fare is good all day, plus they work with what the crew that boards wants to do. Ex. First thing the driver asks when people get on is where they want to go (choices are MI mall, CB post office, WMart, Hdepot or the Beach). This can take a while because of language or timidness of the crew. The driver radios other buses, usually van size and they all meet at Kelly Park on MI to reorganize so crew can go where they want. I sometimes take the crew bus home post cruise because I live on their route so I know this first hand. At the MI mall there is a bar/grill/internet cafe run by two former crew called the European Cafe. It's packed on Sat & Sun where the crew (mostly from EEurope) can hang out, party, eat native food, or call home and shop. It's a big place with plenty of outside seating. Wmart bends over backward for the crew wiring $$ home, they bring in extra people to help and set special lines at customer service, and on Sundays when the CB post is closed even help with the shipping of goods home. At PC there is a non profit called the Seafarers Ministry, that is non-denom. where they serve food and drinks plus pool tables and internet if you have a seamans visa. They have a van that picks you up at the pier. That place was a life saver when the cruise ship Mirage II went bankrupt several years ago and the crew where stranded her for many weeks.

Guess I need to put my 2 cents in.

I am glad the West coast is getting a Voyager class ship to sail the Mexican Riveria!:)

I hope, IMHO, that the replacement, which I am sure there will be, is a Voyager class ship.

Adventure is out of San Juan, PR

Mariner is out of Port Canaveral, FL

Voyager is out of Galveston, TX & Barcelona Spain

Explorer is out of Cape Liberty, NJ

Navigator is out of Fort Lauderdale, FL

Freedom is out of Miami, FL

Liberty is out of Miami, FL

Independence is out of Fort Lauderdale, FL & Southhampton, England

We have driven to PC to be on Mariner once and Sovereign many times. Do not think we would drive for Freedom class. Like the Voyager class or smaller. We did Freedom in November 2006.

Archived