How long have they been doing this red team blue team stuff?

lynnber

I was so darn confused. I had NO idea if I was red or blue. :o

On our dining table there was a vase with a flower in it. Tied around the vase was a red ribbon. Our waiter told us that represented what team we were on.

It is my belief that the whole "teams" and "points" system is nothing but a farce that was started with good intentions and should be eliminated.

I kind of felt that way too. I wondered if they really even kept track. Maybe they just rotate for each cruise. One week blue wins, the next it's red and then the next it's white. They could dump the colors contest for all I care. I didn't pay much attention anyway. I do enjoy the dancing and singing at dinner tho. My kids liked it and now, whenever I hear a song that they played in the dining room it brings back fond memories of the cruise.

I'd say it's closer to two years that it's been going on. Some people on the cruise ship take it seriously...and it has added some excitement to events that might have been getting old or tiresome. We've not always known right away what color we were but they've always announced which team won the last night of the cruise or first thing in the morning of debarkation. It doesn't really matter since all you get for winning is free Pizza. We don't usually participate but do cheer for our team. What's the harm. I enjoy seeing other people have a good time, too.

Sorry....but some of us enjoy the singing waiters. There is one maitre'd who sounds like Frank Sinatra. That was a great cruise....he'd sing a song every night and then the waiters would, too!

Winners get free Pizza?

Thought everyone on board could eat free Pizza. So you win something that is already free to everyone.

Wow what a great prize.:D Must cost Carnival a bundle to give that prize away.:D

Maybe this would make a good pole?

I enjoy the "red, white and blue" game. Sometimes I just cannot think of something to say but I can always start a conversation about, "what color/team are you on?

And I think the waiters make not only the dinning experience, but the whole cruise! I love their dancing, singing and wonderful personalities. Geez, I rather give up the lobster than have to give up the singing.

They need to lose the teams and also the singing and dancing waiters. We get all spiffed up for dinner and then they treat us like we're at Chucky Cheese! One of the few things I dislike on Carnival.

You are absolutely right. So tacky.

On our dining table there was a vase with a flower in it. Tied around the vase was a red ribbon. Our waiter told us that represented what team we were on.

OHHHHHH our waiter never told us that. :mad: I knew I didn't like him for some reason...lol. ;)

I don't take the game seriously or even get involved with it.. But I can see how some people can. For Carnival to keep it going this long, there has to be a "BIG" interest in doing so.

I can't imagine Carnival keeping something going like that if people disliked it. I wounder how many people really enjoy the game..

The 1st time I remember seeing it, was on our 2006 cruise on the Destiny

As for the dancing and singing waiters I do enjoy watching that. But if we don't want to watch we just leave early.

color teams--I don't care, but some do and that is what a cruise is about--diversity. I do not have to participate. Just like the news of Paris Hilton and other young things acting foolish--I tune them out.

Singing waiters--they remind me of years ago when my parents(both deceased now)went on a cruise with us and one got my Mom up dancing. Good memories. If I do not want to listen I am free to leave.

Winners get free Pizza?

Thought everyone on board could eat free Pizza. So you win something that is already free to everyone.

Wow what a great prize.:D Must cost Carnival a bundle to give that prize away.:D

Yep free pizza for everyone! I hereby give your team 500 points for pointing that out.

Husband and I would eat out dinner quickly so as to have coffee and desert before the singing/dancing started.

Would have liked to have enjoyed our mealtime and not rushed it to avoid the poor attempt at dinner entertainment

teams get people involved and/or cheering...if you don't like it, don't participate

i enjoy the singing and the dancing...a little extra entertainment...if you don't like it, eat t the buffet

i really enjoy ken, the singing maitr'd

Singing and dancing waiters sounds like fun to me. I'm a kid at heart and enjoy watching silly stuff. The waiters at Johnny Rockets sing and dance as well and that's part of the fun of going there.

But the Johnny Rockets here(Memphis) went out of business.:eek:

Maybe that was why....

Maybe they should deduct points for those that wear shorts or jeans in the dining room, or OMG:eek: don't dress formal enough on formal night. At least then those who blow a brain gasket will actually be affected by these non-dresses. Maybe they will cheer for those that are not on their teams cause they cost the other teams points!!:D :D :p

teams get people involved and/or cheering...if you don't like it, don't participate

i enjoy the singing and the dancing...a little extra entertainment...if you don't like it, eat t the buffet

i really enjoy ken, the singing maitrd

So, as a first time Carnival cruiser, are you saying that if I don't like all this "unusual" stuff I have to go to the buffet........:eek:

Gosh........make me feel good about my first Carnival cruise!!

the first time i remember seeing it was 2005. don't recall it on cruises prior to then. they did not do it in feb of this year on elation though. but, if you read another thread on here it was apparently done on that ship very recently. i guess we just got lucky in feb, b/c like you, i find it distracting, but i also find it very annoying.

Do they do this red white and blue thing and the the singing/dancing on the 1st night in the dinning room? I dont do the dinning room..but i do plan on doing it the very 1st night..and i hope they DO do it the 1st night :)

thanks,

David.

I loved the "teams" thing. We just got off the miracle today, and maybe it was that the staff was fantastic, but they really got us into it. It makes more sense if you go to a lot of the contests, we did every trivia they had to offer, so of course if you didn't win, you wanted someone on your "team" to win. I absolutely loved the cruise director, Brent and also Bonnie, Jennifer, Brandon and....the British girl. I thought they were all fantastic. I'll write a real review tomorrow, I have 600 pictures to post on webshots so thats what I'll be doing tonight...

So, as a first time Carnival cruiser, are you saying that if I don't like all this "unusual" stuff I have to go to the buffet........:eek:

Gosh........make me feel good about my first Carnival cruise!!

i don't think he meant to imply that. you cld go to the buffet if it drove you so completely nuts (nails on a blackboard) that you couldn't stomach it.

remember, some people actually love this. it adds to the experience for them. i, personally, find it annoying, but not to the point where i miss dinner. it really doesn't last that long. don't misunderstand, this stuff does not go on throughout the entire dinner service.

I have a very hard time getting into the formal environment with this and the very poor quality singing and dancing.

Conga line does not make for a formal environment.

I guess you have never been to a Mardi Gras Ball? We dress up formal, eat at a dining room table and havr fun.:)

Once upon a time, the only night the waiters danced was the last night of the cruise, when they did the baked alaska parade. Then it was a special event to be anticipated.

Now, when my waiters are so busy dancing around the restaurant every night that I have to wait for dessert it loses a bit of its appeal. I like to have as much fun as the next person, but give me my pep rallys on the lido deck and my entertainment in the theater. Let me eat my dinner in peace.

Archived