How long have they been doing this red team blue team stuff?

lynnber

Just got off the Fascination this morning, and after a weekend of 'points go to the red team', 'let's hear it for the blue team", etc. we never did find out which team won. I found the whole thing somewhat distracting. Is this done on every Carnival ship now? How long has it been going on?

It's been going on for over a year now, and I agree ~ it's a little tiresome by the end of the cruise, and you never do really learn which team "won". I wouldn't miss the Red, White and Blue team if they did away with them. :p

It's been going on for atleast several years as far as I can remember. I know some people enjoy it, but I find it distracting and senseless. You often don't find out what team wins and it's not like anyone wins anything for being on the winning team. I guess it's purpose is to encourage passengers to participate in the contests around the ship during the week. I too wouldn't mind it going away forever.

I'd say it's closer to two years that it's been going on. Some people on the cruise ship take it seriously...and it has added some excitement to events that might have been getting old or tiresome. We've not always known right away what color we were but they've always announced which team won the last night of the cruise or first thing in the morning of debarkation. It doesn't really matter since all you get for winning is free Pizza. We don't usually participate but do cheer for our team. What's the harm. I enjoy seeing other people have a good time, too.

Sorry....but some of us enjoy the singing waiters. There is one maitre'd who sounds like Frank Sinatra. That was a great cruise....he'd sing a song every night and then the waiters would, too!

Just got off the Fascination this morning, and after a weekend of 'points go to the red team', 'let's hear it for the blue team", etc. we never did find out which team won. I found the whole thing somewhat distracting. Is this done on every Carnival ship now? How long has it been going on?

They have been doing it way too long !!! They should stop it immediately. It is tiresome and a beating to continually hear them talking about red, blue, white team this and that. The teams don't mean cr ap. No one actually wins anything. Just gives the CD and ACD something to yell at every event. " What team are you on ? " - who really cares ? Is there a prize involved ? I think the points are made up when they yell them out anyway.

too long :p It's time they dump it. It's annoying as far as I am concerned.

I don't play along. If I win something and they ask for a color, I say blue because that's the color I like best. I have no idea what color team I'm supposed to be on...lol :eek:

too long :p It's time they dump it. It's annoying as far as I am concerned.

I don't play along. If I win something and they ask for a color, I say blue because that's the color I like best. I have no idea what color team I'm supposed to be on...lol :eek:

I agree. I always tell People I'm on the lavender team (A mix of red, white and blue) and I hope we win.

Going on my first Carnival cruise next month.............red & blue teams, dancing waiters??? This is all sounding a little scary to me:eek: Is there a purpose behind all this? Just going on a quick 5 day summer cruise for a much needed R&R!! Maybe I should stay on my balcony:p

Love the dancing and singing but it interfers with the dining. You may be waiting on your desert and then the singing starts so you are waiting even longer. This is silly. No table should have to wait to be served due to a performance. Yes red white and blue needs to go away before I board in October.

I could do without the red vs. blue thing, which has been going on since at least the year 2000 or earlier. I remember them doing it on the Celebration and we cruised on her in 2000. Anyway, I actually enjoy the singing/dancing waiters. Yes, it's corny, I don't disagree. But I find it fun to watch them and even more fun when someone from my table (or my whole table) gets picked to get up and dance with them.

Yes, it's cheesey, I know, but I can't help myself and I actually enjoy it. Probably for the same reason I can't stop watching CSI: Miami. The cheese-factor is high, but I can't pull myself away!!! :p :) :D

I actually don't mind the singing and dancing, but I wish they would cut it down to only 2 or 3 nights on a 7-day cruise. Every night gets to be too much. But, it's only a few minutes and I just go along with it ~ I even join in on Conga-line night! ;)

We actually like the team color competitions and YES you do find out who won! The night before we disembarked they announced it in the phantom lounge giving each color team with the amount of points won and the winning team. This was on the miracle about 2 weeks ago. The crowd went crazy and seemed to really enjoy it! You have to actually take part in activities to see the fun in it. It was even in the CAPERS that it was going to be announced AND the cruise director announced that the winning team would be announced and where and when during the day as well.

It's all part of the fun and there's nothing wrong with that!

the red, white blue stuff /singing of the waiters is usually done right before or during desserts.

What sucks is when the waiter is running behind and we have to wait til the singing is done before we get coffett/dessert menus.

If you can do without dessert you can by pass all this.

I also enjoy the singing at dinner. It is short, but fun. If you have to wait a minute while they perform before getting desert, it gives my dinner

a minute to settle before I add to it.

The Red and Blue was announced at dinner the first night - so you know what team you are on. We did not participate - but cheered on our color. It just adds fun for those who like to get involved in that type of activity and doesn't really interfere with much. So fun can be had by all!!:p

I sorta noticed the red, white blue team stuff...I heard it mentioned a time or two, but it didn't detract from my cruise at all.....I just didn't pay any attention to it.

I like the singing and dancing in the dining room and am happy to dance around and then have dessert. :)

They need to lose the teams and also the singing and dancing waiters. We get all spiffed up for dinner and then they treat us like we're at Chucky Cheese! One of the few things I dislike on Carnival.

Those are the kinds of things that would be a big factor in my decision to book a cruise with them; it sounds dreadful, and I would definitely avoid a line that did those things.

On my recent Liberty cruise I purchased $20 worth of the "scratch off" tickets during a daytime bingo session. They said 50 points will be rewarded to your team.

When the person asked me what team I was on, I asked how they were tracking it. She said that she tells the color to the guy at the bingo machine and he was writing it down, and that they have a big board "upstairs" with all the results (I was never able to find said board).

After bingo, I asked the guy at the machine to see his paper. As i suspected it only had some squiggles in no apparent order. He gave me one of those "Fun Ship" medals that you wear around your neck, and asked me not to mention it to anyone else.

It is my belief that the whole "teams" and "points" system is nothing but a farce that was started with good intentions and should be eliminated.

So, the red and blue team scores are a con.

I don't care, but hey, there are a lot of things that I don't care about but continually hear about...like Nascar, football, golf, the weather in California, Nicole Richie's eating disorder, American Idol, wrestling...some people are into it and the rest of us can just tune it out.

It's really not worth worrying about.

Archived