Inside cabin questions?

janer51

We are taking the Aug 18 cruise to Alaska north bound on the Diamond Princess. I booked the cheapest room ,which is on the Plaza deck. I did not want to spend the money on a balcony, I would rather spend it on the excersions.Also I don't think we will be in our room that much.

I just made my final payment. And have my room assignment . Can any one tell me how this location is. I am 2 decks down from the other cabins. Would it be possible to upgrade at this point for a an inside cabin a little further up. Is there a disadvantage to being this far down. This is our first Cruise and I am hoping it goes well so my husband will want to go again. Thanks for any insight.

We were on the Diamond Princess in February on a cruise to Mexico and had an awesome room in a good location with a balcony. I have to honestly say we never spent much time in our cabin, as our days at sea (sailing south from Southern California and back) were COLD. And once we got into port, we were off the ship while in port and out of our room enjoying the ship most of the time.

That doesn't mean we wouldn't enjoy a balcony on a different itinerary - someplace like a cruise in the Caribbean, were we could sit outside during sail away and enjoy a drink. That's really the best cruise to enjoy a balcony. We always get a balcony when on a Caribbean cruise as we are scuba divers who take their own dive gear - having a balcony allows us to dry our equipment outside.

With that said, we are going to Alaska this summer (in July) on the Dawn Princess and we also opted to NOT get a cabin with a balcony - we'll have an outside cabin as I can't live without some natural light. I guess there are some who swear a balcony is a must in Alaska, but we sailied aboard the Star Princess a few years ago to Alaska in a balcony and never spent much time there - way too cold when the ship was sailing to enjoy it and the views of the glaciers were much better from the deck.

Now if I happened to get an upgrade and end up with a balcony - that I know is NOT going to happen as the ship is sailing full - (I too bought a guarantee) I'd happily take it. But for us anyway, that larger deluxe outside room will work out quite nicely.

You are going to be on one of my most favorite ships at sea......

You won't be disappointed......bring a night light (and an extention cord, there is never enough outlets in the room!) The night light will help to orient you in the morning and in the middle of the night!

It's a wonderful ship with a great crew and fabulous food! Your DH will love it!

Have fun!

I know the higher up you go on a ship, the more you pay. But the cabins on the lower decks tend to be a tad more stable and will cost you a lot less $$$ - it's not true that the better cabins are on the higher decks. Most inside rooms are identical.

The ones on the Diamond all seem to be the same - it's the location on the ship and what deck you are on that determines the cost. I will say that cabins at the very fron of the ship even on the lower decks experience a lot of up and down movement during rough seas. If you sail outside of the inside passage and into open ocean, you may feel some motion in the front you won't feel anywhere else on the ship.

Our cabin was all the way in the front and one day, on the way back to California we had 18 foot seas. While in the room, you could feel and hear a loud BOOM when the bow of the ship hit the water on the way down, but you didn't feel any movement midship ANYWHERE else!

My wife and I were in an inside room on the Plaza deck for an Alaskan cruise because it was a good deal(Cheap..end of season) It was very convenient to everything !

The weather was not conducive to being outside on a balcony...but that's the luck of the draw..it has been warm this summer !

Just remember that you are there for the scenery and the fun ..so enjoy !!

We are taking the Aug 18 cruise to Alaska north bound on the Diamond Princess. I booked the cheapest room ,which is on the Plaza deck. I did not want to spend the money on a balcony, I would rather spend it on the excersions.Also I don't think we will be in our room that much.

I just made my final payment. And have my room assignment . Can any one tell me how this location is. I am 2 decks down from the other cabins. Would it be possible to upgrade at this point for a an inside cabin a little further up. Is there a disadvantage to being this far down. This is our first Cruise and I am hoping it goes well so my husband will want to go again. Thanks for any insight.

You will love 'Diamond Princess' she is my favorite princess ship so far.......I was in an inside cabin,the layout is really good ,plenty of room for storing your clothes....you will love her to bits......Enjoy...Kruisey.:)

Inside cabin here, too. I'll be on the Dawn Princess. I think of all the money a balcony would cost, and just can't justify it. We're putting a son through college, etc. You will have a great time. Inside cabins are fine, and just a comfortable as any other.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is the size of inside cabins. On newer ships like the Diamond Princess, inside rooms for the most part are the same size as most other standard cabins on the ship regardless whether they have a window or not.

On smaller, older ships, like the Dawn Princess, the size of inside and outside cabins vary - some are very tight. I know 20-30 square feet is not a lot, but I have found it really does make a difference. I once shared a 125 square foot cabin with two friends - it made for very tight quarters to say the least. It would have been tight for two!

A balcony may not be a must have on an Alaska cruise, but a larger room will be more comfortable when you have to get ready for dinner and it may be worth paying a few $$ more! These same ships will usually offer larger inside cabins for only a few bucks more - often if you get a guarantee there's a good chance you'll get upgraded to one.

On the Diamond, though, you are looking at well designed cabins that regardless of deck level, are about the same size.

I think you're fine. Especially if you're in the middle of the ship.

I've got kind of extreme views. I think it's either port side balcony/suite (or aft if you prefer), or just go down to inside cabins. My personal opinion is ocean view is not worth the money.

And yes, I'd say excursions in Alaska are more important than having a balcony.

I think you're fine. Especially if you're in the middle of the ship.

I've got kind of extreme views. I think it's either port side balcony/suite (or aft if you prefer), or just go down to inside cabins. My personal opinion is ocean view is not worth the money.

And yes, I'd say excursions in Alaska are more important than having a balcony.

I had the same opinion as you until I saw the size of the inside cabins on the Dawn. By the time we booked our cruise on the Dawn Princess, there were only tiny insides left and large outside cabins for only a few $$ more - something like $50pp. To upgrade to a balcony would have been around $500pp more - not worth it for us.

We were on the Baja deck of the Golden Princess on our trip to Alaska. We booked the Run of the House inside and got moved higher. Actually I think you are better off on the lower decks because there is less movement and it is easier to get to doors for port exits. Even the restaurants are a little closer which may be an inspiration to take the stairs rather than the elevator.

Have a great trip,

We have been to Alaska twice and each was an inside. No problems. Going back this summer on the Dawn and taking the kids for the first time and we have 2 insides.

Only times with a balcony was Tahiti and once in the Caribbean out of 21 cruises so far.

Just Enjoy!

We always prefer an inside on an lower deck because there is less movement. When we would walk around the ship in rough seas, the higher up we went the sicker we got. We would go down to our cabin to settle our stomachs.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you all for your input. I am sorry that I took so long but I am just learning to navigate these boards. Hopefully i will have it figured out by the time i leave for Alaska.

I'm not on the Diamond, but I also booked an inside cabin, on the Coral - to Alaska in July. I'd rather not spend the money for a balcony or ocean view either.

Cindi....had to say...I love the dancing name!!!!

Blake: We booked an inside, first time on the Golden. Can you tell me about it (describe the cabin!)

What did you like about the Golden?

We're in Baja425.

Yes, I would like to know this info too.

We booked the Golden for Oct. 27th cruise. Booked an inside guarantee--Cat. M. So not sure where we will be when the cruise comes.

Has anyone receive an upgrade when booking an inside guarantee?

Are the odds better for an upgrade if the ship is totally booked or better if it is not totally full?

We were on Plaza deck (outside cabin) last year on the Sun in Alaska and really enjoyed it. As stated many times, great location - it's great on port intensive cruises to be on the same deck as the gangways - don't have to wait for elevators or trudge up multiple flights of stairs after exploring all day. We spent a lot of our deck time on prom which on that ship was only 2 flights up. Sorry I didn't bother to pull out the deck plans for the Diamond nor have I been on it, yet (LOL).

• 4 years later...

We booked a guarantee inside cat L cabin. Assumed it would be the lowest deck. Just checked website and been allocated to Lido deck cabin245 inside!

This is a good upgrade too me, although slightly concerned may feel to much rocking but otherwise happy with location for pool and horizon court!

Are we likely to get any further upgrade now room has been allocated?

Thanks

Blake: We booked an inside, first time on the Golden. Can you tell me about it (describe the cabin!)

What did you like about the Golden?

We're in Baja425.

Yes, I would like to know this info too.

We booked the Golden for Oct. 27th cruise. Booked an inside guarantee--Cat. M. So not sure where we will be when the cruise comes.

Has anyone receive an upgrade when booking an inside guarantee?

Are the odds better for an upgrade if the ship is totally booked or better if it is not totally full?

Here's a link to the Princess info on the Golden's cabins to view a cabin diagram and some with a virtual view:

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/np/staterooms/index.jsp

My husband and I have taken MANY inside cabins, WE enjoyed them. We were rarely in our room so it didn't matter much to us.

One thing you may want to do is to turn the cabin TV to the Bow chanel at night. It is BLACK when you are in the room and you can't always tell if it is 3 AM or 3 PM. So you may want a night light, Leave the bathroom light on or turn the TV to a live shot- then you can wake up with the dawn.

Have a super trip!! Alaska is awesome!

Archived