Gym hours on Voyager/Freedom class ships

DH likes to work out at 5 a.m. What can I say. Are there 24-hour gyms on RCI ships?

No, they are not open 24 hours. They do open early, but not THAT early. I guess the word "early" can have different meanings to different people! lol

I can't remember the exact time they open. Maybe someone with a recent Compass could give you a definite answer. I'm thinking maybe 6 or 7 a.m.?

I just looked it up in my Freedom of the Seas compasses and the hours are 6:30 am to 10:00 pm.

Just got off Freedom this past Sunday and my Compass has the hours every day from 6:00-10:00 except on day 2 (the 1st sea day). It closed at 9:00 p.m. for some reason that day. - Kath.

What is the min. age for the gym?

I have never seen a 'minimum age' listed for the gym. But I'm sure they would not let kids go in by themselves since the weight machines can be very dangerous. Cardio ones too for that matter.

I am also an early gym person - get up every day and at the gym by 5 am. Some ships are 6, some are 6:30. But I have found that even if I get to the gym before official opening times, most times the door are not locked and I can go in. For example, when we were on the pre-inaugural for Liberty, the house said 6:30. I got down there about 6:10 and walked right in. Just had to open the doors.

So he should be able to get there pretty early.

karena1:

Thanks for the info. On another unnamed line my DH went 15 minutes early to the gym to find the doors locked and a crew member working out. The doors were then opened exactly on time. I can understand their philosophy but they lost our business.

The minimum age for using the gym is 16. DS is regularly annoyed at that - he is 15 now and does like to work out.

Thank you. My DDs won't be happy either. They are only 12, but they are members of our local gym and they would be with me.

Kath-B:

Thank you for the further update!! I appreciate your checking on that for me. I hope you had a great cruise.

No prob scopwest! Any reason to keep re-living that fantastic cruise! We had an amazing time! Hey, we were traveling with my brother and family also from Scottsdale (they live up by Troon north/ off Dynamite). They had a great time too. We all can't wait to go again!

The gym was great...but unfortunately with all of the those port days and rushing to get ready, I only used it twice..and ran the track (in high winds) once. That was hilarious. When my husband and I came around the starboard bow I came to a complete stop it seems, running in place. Then you'd get a tail wind when you got down around the other side. I could only make it around 5 times. It was exhausting, but fun!

Still in PCD....Kathleen

The gym was great...but unfortunately with all of the those port days and rushing to get ready, I only used it twice..and ran the track (in high winds) once. That was hilarious. When my husband and I came around the starboard bow I came to a complete stop it seems, running in place. Then you'd get a tail wind when you got down around the other side. I could only make it around 5 times. It was exhausting, but fun!

Isn't that hilarious when there's high winds on deck??? :p When we were on Enchantment, on a certain area on the track the wind was soooo strong, literally like someone was pushing you backwards! It was a lot of fun, and also a great workout!

Hey Christie...

That high wind jogging day was fun (kind of like one of those endless pools you can work out in. Swim in place, ha,ha), but the night before (on departure day) was actually a little scarry for me but fun for us first time cruisers. We were out on the starboard side up on deck 11, 12 or 13 (pretty high up) and we have the funniest pictures ever of us moms with our long blonde hair standing completely up in the air and all crazy and the kids shirts blowing up and almost off of them. My daughter's really long hair way up in the air. I will always treasure those pictures because of the looks on our faces and all of the laughter and the crazy crazy hair. Right after we took the pictures they closed the deck so you couldn't go outside where we were. We were such geeks with it being our first cruise and never experiencing something like that. (I dont know how to drop a photo into one of these posts or I'd show you the shot). -Kathleen

Hey Christie...

That high wind jogging day was fun (kind of like one of those endless pools you can work out in. Swim in place, ha,ha), but the night before (on departure day) was actually a little scarry for me but fun for us first time cruisers. We were out on the starboard side up on deck 11, 12 or 13 (pretty high up) and we have the funniest pictures ever of us moms with our long blonde hair standing completely up in the air and all crazy and the kids shirts blowing up and almost off of them. My daughter's really long hair way up in the air. I will always treasure those pictures because of the looks on our faces and all of the laughter and the crazy crazy hair. Right after we took the pictures they closed the deck so you couldn't go outside where we were. We were such geeks with it being our first cruise and never experiencing something like that. (I dont know how to drop a photo into one of these posts or I'd show you the shot). -Kathleen

LOL that sounds hilarious, Kathleen!!! I would LOVE to see those pics!!! Do you have someone in your house that is technically inclined to be able to post them on here?? :D

I see that the my thumbnail photos worked, yea!!....do you know how to drop in larger photos like I've seen from other posters? I I know this is off subject for this thread, but anyone knows? Thanks!!

Kath-B:

Great shots. And I know where your brother and family are re the Troon area, we're on McCormick Ranch. How fabulous to have your first cruise on Freedom!

When I clicked on your photos they popped up in a larger size for me, unlike most tiny thumbnail photos.

Thanks Scope!

Yea...first cruise on Freedom...where do I go from here, lol? I think we're going to try to go again on her or Liberty next year either March or June '08 and Mariner in Los Angeles in '09. No one in our family wants to go any smaller, so I guess it's big ship's for us. So much to do, not enough time to do it all, was my ONLY complaint. tough life, huh, lol.

Thanks Christie! I love those pics too. It was such a fluke that we took them at all. We didn't take any other night-time out on deck photos the rest of the trip. We were gathering the kids from the Living Room and made them come out on deck with us to feel the wind almost blow us over! aaah...good times!! Talk to you again soon! -Kathleen

Archived