I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

Well, just reporting in.... I've decided on The Lovely Bones for my cruise. Anybody read it?

Yes, decent book, not my favorite, but worth reading. I found it to be a little on the strange side.

Enjoy your cruise!!

I just wanted to thank everyone who recommended the "Stephanie Plum" series by Janet Evanovich. I am almost thru the 2nd one & I just started the series on Monday. They are perfect for me - humorous, adventuresome, & a bit of crime mystery! Thanks for the suggestions!!

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, The World According to Garp by John Irving, The Red Tent (can't remember the author right now), anything by Jean Auel (she wrote Clan of the Cave Bear), anything by Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), if you are cruising out of New Orleans...read some Anne Rice, anything by Amy Tan (Joy Luck Club), 1984 by Orwell, Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, The Stand by Stephen King (my fave of his books), Harry Potter series (seriously), anything by Neil Gaiman, Diary of a Geisha (I think that's the right title..it was a bestseller), The Color Purple by Alice Walker..... and that's just off the top of my head.. LOL!

If you like heartwarming triumph over adversity true stories.... you must read Torey Hayden. She's a special education teacher and is AMAZING.

Haven't read it yet.. but it seemed natural... 1000 Places to See Before You Die

Some of my favorites: Three Junes, The Secret Life of Bees, Memoirs of a Geisha, The Pleasure of My Company (light, great fun!), The Horse Whisperer, The Joy Luck Club, A Yellow Raft on Blue Water, Cane River, Are You Somebody? I could go on and on! So many books, so little time...enjoy your trip.;)

Caribbean Girl, thanks for reminding me of some of my favorite books: A Yellow Raft on Blue Waters and Memories of a Geisha. Did you realize that Memories of a Geisha was written by a man?! Great book!

I'm now reading a fun book called "Monkey Business" by Sarah Mlynowski. Fun, light reading.

I have a very good friend who owns a book store. Whenever I need something to read, I just stop by and she fills-up a shopping bag for me. She's the one responsible for getting me hooked on the "Stephanie Plum" books. She knows what I like but also knows what her customers say about books they've read and will inlcude those books. It's great, if I don't like it, I just put it back in the bag and pick another one.

I've been making a list of recommended books from this posting to get them for our up-coming cruise - May 21th. Unfortunately, I've either read them or I get them and read them before our cruise. But keep giving recommendations. Even if I don't have them for the cruise, I've got more titles and authors to be on the look-out for. Thanks everyone.

i love cornwell (and her book on jack the ripper is excellent!) and patterson, but for a cruise, you need 'lite' reading; go for crusie and evanovich!! love the entire stef plum series (start w/ '1 for the money"); bring several; you will find yourself laughing out loud in the middle of the night!!! just read 'bet me'; flawless!! easy to read, great for deckside, soooo funny!!

btw...we are trying to figure who can play 'ranger' in the movie version; i'm thinking maybe the rock. any ideas.....? ;)

:D I've enjoyed so many of the books mentioned on this thread, now let me add two more amazing authors (I'm kind of amazed no one has mentioned either of them yet!): Susan Elizabeth Phillips - hilarious, fall-on-the-floor-laughing, fabulously written romances (I read so fast that I usually get my books from the library, but I buy hers the minute they come out because I know I will want to read them again and again.) Also, LaVyrle Spencer - the only other author that inspired me to buy every book she has ever published. Her books are based on a central romance, but they are the kind of books where every character, even the most minor one, is so sensitively drawn that you feel sure you know them, and you hate for her books to end because you don't want leave the world into which she has drawn you. The settings vary widely and they are all terrific, but it might be nice to start with "Morning Glory"... Enjoy! (Oh man, I envy all of you getting to read these for the first time!)

i love cornwell (and her book on jack the ripper is excellent!) and patterson, but for a cruise, you need 'lite' reading; go for crusie and evanovich!! love the entire stef plum series (start w/ '1 for the money"); bring several; you will find yourself laughing out loud in the middle of the night!!! just read 'bet me'; flawless!! easy to read, great for deckside, soooo funny!!

btw...we are trying to figure who can play 'ranger' in the movie version; i'm thinking maybe the rock. any ideas.....? ;)

I WAS THINKING "THE ROCK" TOO!

who for Moelli? Somebody Italian looking, don't you think?

Grandma would definitely be the little old lady from "golden girls"

The Kite Runner and the Secret Life of Bees are two books I've recently read and enjoyed. Wicked (the book that the musical is based on) was also a decent book. If you're into more classic books, some of my favorites are A Brave New World, The Great Gatsby, Ethan Frome, anything by Toni Morrison, and I really like Maacbeth (if you're into Shakespeare). Some guilty pleasure beach books that I like: Anything by V.C Andrews, The Beach House is a good murder mystery, Walking After Midnight and Summer Sisters.

Thanks to all who recommended Jennifer Crusie!

I read Welcome to Temptation aboard the Caribbean Princess last week and couldn't wait (OK, maybe I am exaggerating there) to get home to buy more. I picked up Bet Me (really liked this one), Fast Women (reading right now) and Tell Me Lies (on the To Be Read pile.) I guess you could say I am a fan now. :)

-Janine

Hi Lynn,

I really liked them both. I think Welcome to Temptation was my favorite though. They were both easy reads. I believe in an earlier post you said that was what you like so either one would be great for your cruise.

-Janine

Hi, Janine,

Thanks so much! I just packed Bet Me, but I also have Welcome to Temptation. Hmmm .............. I think I'll pull that off my shelf, too.

It's funny how I feel that I just HAVE to have a really good book to take on a cruise.

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

I know what you mean. Usually I take three books with me. I brought five this time and only finished one, Welcome. We had a bunch of family on this cruise so I didn't read as much as I normally do. I wanted to suggest bringing both because I liked them both so much. :)

-Janine

I lied in my previous post. I also read Dead Run by PJ Tracy. Another excellent book as are the other two PJ Tracy books, Monkeewrench and Live Bait. Definitely recommend these, but they are murder mysteries.

Hi, Janine,

That's a good enough testimonial for me. Will do! Thank you again.

I always love book recommendations. We need a book discussion/recommendation board. That would be FUN.

Lynn