I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

"Skinny Dip", by Carl Hiaasen is great! Hope they make a movie out of it....Starts off with her husband throwing her over board a cruise ship! very funny, fast paced book...

Another great book, but is a very serious book is " My sisters Keeper" by Jodi Picoult...A fast read when you start, I am sure this could be made into a great movie also..

Skiiergirl - A couple more good authors in the same vein are Jeffrey Deavers, Stuart Woods and John Sandford. All are excellent~!

Cattolica - Those titles sound like Diane Mott Davidson! If you haven't read her books, they are excellent too. Main character is a caterer who always gets involved in a murder. Lots of cooking and recipes too!

Yep, the Joanne Fluke books are similar to Diana Mott Davidson. The only difference is the main character runs a bakery......and there is a bit more humor in the story.....you sort of forget that it is a mystery. :-) I have read one of the Davidson books.

Many of my favorites (Crusie, Faye Kellerman, Patricia Cornwall, etc.) have been mentioned. For a good cry, I recommend "PS I love you" by C. Ahern. When I find a good chick lit author, I'll go on Amazon and see what other authors are recommended. Here I am on the last cruise reading a Marion Keyes book.

13098708_loungechairs.jpg.b207b266e5c5c6d6c2484846e5b6e7df.jpg

Absolutley its gotta be Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy complete edition by Douglas Adams. I read it every single time I go on vacation, and never tire of it. A big, thick, masterpiece novel of odd witty humor like no other - the perfect thing for a relaxing vacation! I honestly get very excited before vacations at the prospect of having the time to curl up read it cover to cover yet again (my old faithful hardcover copy has the sand & suntan oils of many, many, beaches within..). :) I first read it on Miami's South Beach, and laughed out loud at the first few pages, which is so unlike me (my friend actually lowered her sunglasses and sat bolt upright like somthing shocking/scary had happened)! :eek:

This post gave me an idea! I do believe that the next time I cruise, I'll go on the ship's Roll Call board and find out who everyone's favorite authors are, as I have hundreds and hundreds (probably thousands - including every Grisham, Cornwall, Patterson, etc.) of books of all genres that I have already read, and bring them along with me in my empty souvenier suitcase to give away or trade with others! It would be so nice to have others appreciate and love as I have some of these written works, instead of them gathering dust! :)

I loved Skinny Dip too!

thanks everyone for your great ideas. I have started a list of books to purchase to take. I have actually already bought some of them. I have to take 14 books for dh (1 per day) since he is such a fast reader. Thanks again for all of the idea....keep them coming.

"Skinny Dip", by Carl Hiaasen is great! Hope they make a movie out of it....Starts off with her husband throwing her over board a cruise ship! very funny, fast paced book...

Another great book, but is a very serious book is " My sisters Keeper" by Jodi Picoult...A fast read when you start, I am sure this could be made into a great movie also..

I borrowed My Sister's Keeper from the library and liked it so much that I went on line to Chapter's and bought it. I'm waiting now for another of her books.

I do use the ship's library all the time. Saves weight in luggage. especially like the leave one/take one paper back exchange so I can have a new book for the plane.

Many of my favorites (Crusie' date=' Faye Kellerman, Patricia Cornwall, etc.) have been mentioned. For a good cry, I recommend "PS I love you" by C. Ahern. When I find a good chick lit author, I'll go on Amazon and see what other authors are recommended. Here I am on the last cruise reading a Marion Keyes book.[/quote']

Like Cruisin' Chick, I also check out Amazon to find other related authors. For vacation, I like contemporary novels from female authors that make me laugh out LOUD! Marion Keyes is one of my favorite authors, too.

I just finished a fabulous book, "Three Wishes" by Liane Moriarity. Based in Australia, this is a great, hysterically funny book about three triplets (female) in their 30s. This is Moriarity's first book and I can't wait for more.

Hi, SeaBrz,

I'm reading The Other Side of the Story Now. Very, very good!!! What other Keyes books have you read? Any particular order you would recommend them (best first)?

I'm trying to find the best of best romantic comedy, romance, and comedy books!!! I'd really, really appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,

Lynn

I just finished Jimmy Buffett's A Salty Piece of Land it was a great cruise read. I wish I had taken it with me on our last cruise, but since I had never read anything of his, I wasn't it sure if I would enjoy it. It takes place in the Caribbean and many of the islands we've cruise to are mentioned.

Also, Harlan Coban books are great reads.

What other Keyes books have you read? Any particular order you would recommend them (best first)?

Hi Lynn -- The other Keyes books I've read: "Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married", "Last Chance Saloon", "Angels" and "Sushi For Beginners". I didn't read these in any particular order so can't provide a strategy. Thanks for the recommendation for "The Other Side of The Story" though!

Also, thanks JM, for the recommendation for "A Salty Piece of Land"! I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm a Florida native and have never read a Buffet book. I promised myself I would start as soon as I got through all of the Carl Hiassen books, but haven't accomplished that yet either :D I am pushing "Salty Piece" to the front of the line and will take it on my April 8 cruise.

So two more books to add to my Must Read list! Thanks much!

Here are a couple of books that deal with cruise ships. The first is "Ocean of Dreams" by Patrica Hagan. This book is about a marketing exective that falls in love with an cruise ship Officer. The second book is "Ports of Call" by Sally Fairchild. This book is about a woman who takes over her late husbands cruise ship line.

Have you read any Lorna Landvik. Here books are wonderful. They include: Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons; Patty Janes House of Curl and Tall Pines Polka. They are funny and heartwarming and great pool reading. Also try Fanny Flag - Welcome to the World Baby Girl is one of my favorites. Also in a totally different direction are any of the Archie McNally books by Lawrence Sanders. They center around Archie (a Yale Law drop out) who helps his fathers law firm with discreet inquiries of the rich in Palm Beach. He is a real character. Happy reading.

For any Southerners, or Southerner wanna-be's, some light, funny reads are books by Jill Conner Browne - Sweet Potato Queen's Book of Love, God Save the Sweet Potato Queens, etc. I have laughed till I cried reading some of the passages. (I am a southern girl). While I agree with many of the previous suggestions, just throwing out something else.

Hi, Debbie,

I've been wondering about the Sweet Potato books. One question: Would I only appreciate them if I'm a true southern girl? I know that sounds silly, but I'm serious. I live in Florida, but I grew up in New York. Does that qualify anywhere?

Thanks,

Lynn

Lynn,

Even if you can't relate to some of the truths in the Sweet Potato books, I'm sure you'll be laughing hysterically in disbelief so, yes, I think you'll enjoy them. Maybe you'd want to just get them at the library rather than purchasing them just to be on the safe side. I hope you enjoy.

Thank you, Debbie!

I think I'm going to check out Costco today. I thought I saw them there ...

I'm always on the hunt for good books. I'd appreciate any other recommendations, too.

Lynn

To Patpcozy

I know your thread was written months ago but I too am a Stephanie Plum fan. Did you know that Janet Evanovitch just finished her 11th Plum book? There are already 93 reserves at the library! You are right, they are wonderful books to take on a cruise. Lulu going on Atkin's diet was what made me laugh out loud. I also read Jennifer Cruise so it seems we have to same taste in books. I read all of the books in the Full House series by Evanovitch. Funny but not Stephanie Plum. If anyone is looking for a delightful easy read on a cruise you can be sure these books will keep you coming back. They're hard to put down and easy to pick up. Bring more than one!!

Rhapsody of the Seas

July 3, 2005

I'm also a huge fan of both Janet Evanovich (of Stephanie Plum fame) and Sophie Kinsella (Shopoholic, etc.). I used to love really deep, serious books but find that with 3 children, my level of concentration has somewhat deteriorated so now I just read a lot of what I call fluff...and I LOVE it.

Another series that is VERY easy to read amongst the distractions on a cruise are by Anne Brashares...The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. There are now 3 out.

Dare I say that my 12 yo DD was reading them and out of curiosity of what exactly was the type of book she was into now (ok I was screening!) I started reading the first one and was really surprised that I enjoyed it. It brought me back (way back :)) to my teenage years. The first movie is coming out in June.

There is another "cruise" book that I read years ago written by Carol Higgins Clark (daughter of women suspense writer Mary Higgins Clark). It was a light mystery which takes place on a cruise ship. It's called Decked.

Sandy