Gunne Sax

momofmeg

You gals remember those?

I loved those and wore them alot 25-30 years ago.

I am sure many of you remember how small my daughter is and how hard it is for us to find clothing for her. We discovered vintage Gunne Sax (On Ebay) in a size 3 which is a double zero by today's sizing. She has found a couple of cute skirts, gowns that actually FIT!

She loves the gunne sax look as it is "in" again so many of the bohemian skirts, dresses, are around now. she just wishes she could find things small enough for her in something else-as she does not always want to wear that look-now she is looking at other vintage things on ebay for small sizes.

OMG!! Boy do I remember those! They were all the rage when I was in HS - late 70's. For my sr. prom, I had a Gunne Sax dress that had a white background and little tiny gingery-brown colored flowers on it. Loved it. My bf (now dh) had checked on tuxes - you young'uns remember that back in the day the tux had to match the dress!! They had one that was exactly the same gingery-brown color as the flowers in the dress, so he ordered it. When he came to pick me up, I almost refused to go out the door with him. For some reason, he didn't get the tux he ordered.........he got a white, QUILTED polyester number with black velvet lapels and trim. :eek: He was very tall and skinny at the time, so of course the pants were too short. And what kind of shoes and socks do you wear with this stylish getup, anyway?? I think he had on rented black patent shoes and white athletic socks! It was such a disaster - we went to the prom with him totally looking like a ****. :p

I am sure many of you remember how small my daughter is and how hard it is for us to find clothing for her. We discovered vintage Gunne Sax (On Ebay) in a size 3 which is a double zero by today's sizing.

My goodness, I used to wear size 3 in HS and college. That's now a double zero??

I had no idea size ranges had crept up quite so much. Now I don't feel as good about my current dress size....:o

I have been to the Gunne Sax outlet many times, but it's been so long since I've been there I'm wondering if it's still there! It was a really old brick building in China Basin in San Francisco, and I thought it was the neatest place in the world. They had floors and floors of dresses, trims, fabrics, and all kinds of wonderful things. I think they morphed into Jessica and Scott McClintock, I wonder if they outlet is still there? I'll have to pay a visit! Gadds, I can't believe a 3 is a double zero I used to wear a 1 in high school. Do you know how to sew? Sewing simple gowns is not very difficult, but with a tiny size it might be worth it to learn how just so that she can have great clothing/gowns like everyone else. I remember being very thin and short in high school, and it was really discouraging to try and find clothing as a result I HATED shopping because I could never find anything unless I shopped in little girls which is not fun when you're 16. Thankfully I hit a growth spurt at 21, and made it to a whopping 5'.

My sister had a hand-me-down Gunne Sax dress (tea length) she wore for her Sixth Grade Graduation (1984??). I barely remember the magazine pics for the gowns. Then prom gowns were in the midst of changing from the "sweet" styles to the "saucy" that are now out!

I thought Gunne Sax morphed into Jessica McClintock or vice versa?

Jessica McClintock designs under her own name now.

Gunne Sax by Jessica which later became Gunne Sax by Jessica McClintock and you are right she now just uses her name-but the designs although they have changed over the years still have a similiar look. I loved the victorian looking ones. My daughter loves the renasiance area ones. They all seem to have a look of "times gone by".

The 70's ones say Gunne sax by Jessica which you are probally too young to remember since I have around 15 years on you. the 80's ones said Gunne sax by Jessica McClintock.

I also always liked her son's stuff, Scott mcClintock.

I have been to the Gunne Sax outlet many times, but it's been so long since I've been there I'm wondering if it's still there! It was a really old brick building in China Basin in San Francisco, and I thought it was the neatest place in the world. They had floors and floors of dresses, trims, fabrics, and all kinds of wonderful things. I think they morphed into Jessica and Scott McClintock, I wonder if they outlet is still there? I'll have to pay a visit! Gadds, I can't believe a 3 is a double zero I used to wear a 1 in high school. Do you know how to sew? Sewing simple gowns is not very difficult, but with a tiny size it might be worth it to learn how just so that she can have great clothing/gowns like everyone else. I remember being very thin and short in high school, and it was really discouraging to try and find clothing as a result I HATED shopping because I could never find anything unless I shopped in little girls which is not fun when you're 16. Thankfully I hit a growth spurt at 21, and made it to a whopping 5'.

I never had the patience for sewing but I have tried to tell my daughter she should learn since everything almost she buys has to be altered and that is not cheap either. She's a grown woman-so I figure it is on her to learn now.

Back in the early 80's I wore a size 5 but in Gunne Sax I usually bought a size 7 as they ran small-so even though sizing has gone up-not that much. I had a 24 inch waist back then.

What my daughter loves about the Gunne Sax size 3 vintage is the waist is 22 inches like hers- so it fits perfectly.

I had a baby blue with cream lace Gunne Sax dress that I wore to my high school grad in '79, and I also wore it to my mother's wedding that summer.

My friend Lori went to the grad with me (my then boyfriend didn't graduate, hers was who knows where) and she had the exact same dress but in pale yellow. We both wore Candies mules with 4" heels. There was a store downtown that sold Gunne Sacks dresses and they kept a register so that no two girls would wear the same dress to their grad dance.

I think my dress was a 7, which I thought was absolutely huge at that point in my life. What I would do to fit into that dress today!

Thanks for the memories!

4.gif

I had a baby blue with cream lace Gunne Sax dress that I wore to my high school grad in '79,

Oh my gosh!!! I think I had the same dress! It was kinda tiered for the skirt and it had a sash tie in the back. I HAD to have that dress for my Jr. High graduation party!

I had a baby blue with cream lace Gunne Sax dress that I wore to my high school grad in '79' date=' and I also wore it to my mother's wedding that summer.

My friend Lori went to the grad with me (my then boyfriend didn't graduate, hers was who knows where) and she had the exact same dress but in pale yellow. We both wore Candies mules with 4" heels. There was a store downtown that sold Gunne Sacks dresses and they kept a register so that no two girls would wear the same dress to their grad dance.

I think my dress was a 7, which I thought was absolutely huge at that point in my life. What I would do to fit into that dress today!

Thanks for the memories!

[img']http://bestsmileys.com/friendly/4.gif[/img]

that sounds like the dress I wore to my friend's wedding in May 1980. I also wore it again in 1982 to another friend's wedding-and then I married myself, had a baby and gained weight. I planned to save the dress anyway (and wish I did for the prices some of those are going for) but somehow I found it stained,something had been spilled on it in the closet,not sure what hubby had done, (but I am sure it was him,) so I threw it away. The stains looked very old when I found it and I knew they would never come out.

Oh my, I have a dress hanging in my closet. I wore it in 1974 when I was my cousin's maid of honor. It's a blue print on white cotton voile. The bodice laced up. Long poufy sleeves and tiered skirt to a ruffle on the hem.

A size 5.. and my mother had to take it in! Hmm... I was 19 and had a 22 inch waist. LOL.. those days are loooooooooonnnnnnngggggg gone.

My cousin's wedding dress was Gunne Sax, too. Ivory muslin, with matching cotton lace, tight bodice, long sleeves ending with split bells at the elbows. I wonder if she still has it??

You gals remember those?

I loved those and wore them alot 25-30 years ago.

I am sure many of you remember how small my daughter is and how hard it is for us to find clothing for her. We discovered vintage Gunne Sax (On Ebay) in a size 3 which is a double zero by today's sizing. She has found a couple of cute skirts, gowns that actually FIT!

She loves the gunne sax look as it is "in" again so many of the bohemian skirts, dresses, are around now. she just wishes she could find things small enough for her in something else-as she does not always want to wear that look-now she is looking at other vintage things on ebay for small sizes.

Oh, did I LOVE those things in high school/college! I was a child of the 80s.

Oh my, I have a dress hanging in my closet. I wore it in 1974 when I was my cousin's maid of honor. It's a blue print on white cotton voile. The bodice laced up. Long poufy sleeves and tiered skirt to a ruffle on the hem.

A size 5.. and my mother had to take it in! Hmm... I was 19 and had a 22 inch waist. LOL.. those days are loooooooooonnnnnnngggggg gone.

My cousin's wedding dress was Gunne Sax, too. Ivory muslin, with matching cotton lace, tight bodice, long sleeves ending with split bells at the elbows. I wonder if she still has it??

That sounds like the one Meg bought! Just think if you were still that size you would be buying double zeros! BTW hers says size 5 but the waist is 22 inches! are you sure you did not ebay it? Meg could have bought yours!

BTW-I have a photo of me in my dress somewhere. My sister took it of me for my hubby who was then my boyfriend because he was out of town the wkend of my friend's wedding. I wanted him to see me in that dress. it must have worked too because we were engaged not long after that! If I can find it I will post it!

Also I NOW remember what happened to my dress. It was not hubby but Meg! Apparently she had got into my closet with her bottle and sprayed milk all over it- and since that was the spare room closet it was a long time I guess before I discovered it and when I tried to clean it it was as if bleach had been dumped over it.

My goodness, I used to wear size 3 in HS and college. That's now a double zero??

I had no idea size ranges had crept up quite so much. Now I don't feel as good about my current dress size....:o

Did you see "The Devil Wears Prada"? The Anne Hathaway character is lectured by someone at the fashion magazine for being so pudgy, and she protests that she's only a size six. He replies, "Zero is a new Two. Two is now a Four. Size six is a fourteen."

Did you see "The Devil Wears Prada"? The Anne Hathaway character is lectured by someone at the fashion magazine for being so pudgy, and she protests that she's only a size six. He replies, "Zero is a new Two. Two is now a Four. Size six is a fourteen."

I think that was a gross exageration, but the sizes most definitely have changed. I am a six by most standards today....but I have some size 10 items, from 20 years ago....that fits just fine!!

well I loved Gunne Sax and I still love victorian stuff-I will still wear clothing like that as long as it is not too girlish looking. hey even my home is decorated very victorian looking.

Meg loves going to the Renasiance festival every year and she loves the Shakespeare Tavern in Atlanta also, etc.- so she loves more of the renaissance look gowns/dresses. She bought that one dress to wear to dinner to this restuarant in Atlanta called Medieval Times. I imagine too she will wear it to next year's festival.

I bought her a skirt that looks very much like what is in style now- bohemian looking and it is a vintage 3 so it fits. The blouse she wears with it is new.

I was going to, but I've sold clothes on ebay before and gotten burned a few times, it's just not worth it.

Well the prices most of that stuff (gunne sax) is going for is more then what they cost originally.

Well the prices most of that stuff (gunne sax) is going for is more then what they cost originally.

Oh I'm sure.

But like I said I've had nutsos buying clothes from me off ebay and just don't want the hassle. The last fun one was a woman who bought a pair of USED girls jeans from me then decided she had to return them--three months later for an assortment of bogus reasons. I'm sure she had her kid in them for that time and she outgrew them.:rolleyes:

I can just imagine what someone like that would make of a 20 year old dress. "Wait a minute, you mean someone already WORE this????!!1eleventy!" :rolleyes:

Archived