Aft 2A Deluxe Ocean View cabins on Mercury

Drew B

Can anybody tell me about these cabins? Are the balconies new? Are they the same size as other veranda cabins? How about the balcony size? Obviously, they are not as desirable as the aft CC cabins on M-Class ships, but would these be considered desirable balcony cabins?

These are the old FV cabins. The just installed them a month or so ago. They are 220 sf and have a 7' deep balcony. The are very desirable due to the size of cabin and the size of baclony. The only negatives are, the full size bed cannot be split into 2 beds and the vibration of the ship when the thrusters are fired as the ship enters or leaves port. We had one without the balcony on the Galaxy in Feb, loved the space.

Yes the balconies are new and are bigger than other balconies in this class. I think the cabin is slightly larger too. You are right, they are not as desirable as the aft balconies on the M class ships. We switched to one for our upcoming cruise to Australia as soon as it became available. The only drawback I can see to this cabin is the double bed up against the wall on one side. There are numerous threads on this subject including the pictures we took of the balconies when Mercury was in Vancouver. These have been copied into a recent thread. Sorry I don't have time to look it up this morning.

That's so strange! On the X website when you go to book, it says that these cabins are 172 sq. ft., and the floor plan is just like the regular veranda cabins (as opposed to a 2-room scenario).

For that cabin to be $100 pp cheaper than CC is a great thing, right?

We had one of these cabins in April. Actually we were the first people to use the cabin after it's renovation. Yes, the cabin is a FV...now with a new balcony added. Even though the bed configuration is strange, we found that the extra space in the cabin wonderful. Lots of storage and closet space. The only drawback was (on Mercury) the vibration, when coming into a port. It really rattles your brain! But it doesn't last long...and only a minor inconvience, compared to so many positive aspects of this cabin. We were in cabin 8230.

Karyn

Karyn--Our TA is having a diffcult time getting any information on the updated Mercury Aft Cabins and the only information he could find (even on the TA websites) was that instead of the L-shaped sofa in the rear sitting room, that the sofa that was against the back wall has been moved to the opposite wall so the sofa's are across from each other. I was hoping that since you have already occuppied one of these cabins that you could tell us. We will be sailing in August and have one of the Aft Cabins. Thanks very much..

Mike

I have reserved one of these cabins for April 2008. I was told that when they added the balconies, they replaced what used to be a twin sofa unit under the bunk with a pull out double sofa unit under the bunk. So that there is now a double bed pushed up against the wall in the front of the room (before the room divider) and a single upper bunk with a double pull out sofa bed behind the room divider. Opposite the pull out/and upper bunk is a bank of drawers. Maybe Karyn can confirm for us.

The pictures from the outside that were posted a few days back showed an excellent picture of the balcony.

I have reserved one of these cabins for April 2008. I was told that when they added the balconies, they replaced what used to be a twin sofa unit under the bunk with a pull out double sofa unit under the bunk. So that there is now a double bed pushed up against the wall in the front of the room (before the room divider) and a single upper bunk with a double pull out sofa bed behind the room divider. Opposite the pull out/and upper bunk is a bank of drawers. Maybe Karyn can confirm for us.

The pictures from the outside that were posted a few days back showed an excellent picture of the balcony.

Actually, in the 2nd room...beyond the divider...is a stationary bed, with an upper bunk above. So no pull-out sofa. At least not in our cabin. The cabin itself appears very open and elongated, due to the newly added balcony.

Karyn

Karyn, Thanks for reply on the cabin. Our son has one more question for you. He wants to know if they changed the TV's to a LCD flat panel like they did on Century. Thanks

Mike and A.J.

No...still the same T.V's...at least when we were on. But we did notice that a crew from an outside communications company was all over the ship, running cable everywhere. Floors, overhead panels, walls, etc.

Karyn

Karyn,

You have been so great answering all our questions. Thank You very much!

I have one more: Do you know if the partitions between the balconies can be opened up. We have 3 cabins together for our cruise next month and it would be fun just to have one large aft balcony.

Thanks again and by the way we spelled our daughters name the same way you do. When she was in school the teachers would pronounce it incorrectly.

Lynn

Karyn,

You have been so great answering all our questions. Thank You very much!

I have one more: Do you know if the partitions between the balconies can be opened up. We have 3 cabins together for our cruise next month and it would be fun just to have one large aft balcony.

Thanks again and by the way we spelled our daughters name the same way you do. When she was in school the teachers would pronounce it incorrectly.

Lynn

Lynn, none of the balcony partitions open. Wouldn't it be nice if that was a feature? They probably did that for security purposes.

I've actually enjoyed having my name spelled a little different. People always remember it. I have a friend who always calls me, "Karyn with a Y". Not just Karyn. This has been going on for years!

Karyn

Do you think one of these cabins on the END would be more desirable, or would we be better off booking more towards the middle? On the M-Class, the corner ones are better, but on this ship, there seems to be a stairwell between the cabin and the side of the ship. I imagine that would prevent 270 degree views. Would there also be noise associated with that stairwell?

We chose not to have one of the end ones because we thought people in the public space could peek around the partition and it wouldn't be as private as the middle ones where only your next door neighbour could do that!

Do you think one of these cabins on the END would be more desirable, or would we be better off booking more towards the middle? On the M-Class, the corner ones are better, but on this ship, there seems to be a stairwell between the cabin and the side of the ship. I imagine that would prevent 270 degree views. Would there also be noise associated with that stairwell?

It depends on where the cabin is located. We had #8230...right in the middle, so we didn't hear a thing, but I do remember they had the stairway area closed, due to ongoing construction and painting.

Our views were still wonderful, and the additional space was nice.

Karyn

We have cabin 1163 which is on the end on the Penthouse Deck. I sure hope people do not hang over the rail and peek into out balcony. I think that would be rude!

We are so excited about this cabin that we booked it again for a cruise we are taking in April. We have stayed in this cabin before but it was back in 2004 and I really loved the extra space. The bed against the wall did bother me a little bit, but it is only for a few days so I can live with it.

Lynn

The bed against the wall did bother me a little bit, but it is only for a few days so I can live with it.

The bed against the wall is actually a GOOD thing for us. My sister and niece will take that bed, and the niece will not be able to fall out of bed that way. I'll sleep in the other room.

:rolleyes: I've just been reading with interest the information regarding the new 2A rear balcony cabins.

Friends we are travelling with have been allocated one of these cabins. They are both 6 foot tall and I read that the bed is near the wall....is that correct? That means one has to climb over the other to get out of bed because there isn't enough room on one side?

Would anyone who may have used one of these cabins in the past have any photos they could send? My husband has been searching the web all morning trying to find more information about these cabins. It's seems you Karyn are the worlds information on these staterooms on the Mercury, so far, and TEABAG you are the official photographer of the cabins, thanks so much for them. Celebrity needs to give you both a PR job!! Thanks and any more helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Jillybean :)

Jillybean...I don't know about being the "world's information", but I'll take a stab at this. We're both on the shorter side, and if I was 6 ft. or taller, I'd reconsider this cabin configuration. At the end of the bed, is a room divider (more like a wall), that would inhibit any extra "feet" length. Even though the cabin itself is spacious, your friends may want to reconsider this assignment due to the bed arrangement.

Hope this helps...

Karyn

HI Peg,

Here are a few pictures of cabin #1152 (my cabin) but right next store to yours. These pictures are from before balconies were added to them so the window and sofa you see along the back wall is now a slider out to the balcony with no sofa.

image.php?id=53179

image.php?id=53178

image.php?id=53177

As you can see the front bed in front of the screen is up against the wall. Not a problem for me because that will be just my bed but I think you were asking about it on another post.

Sharon

Archived