Aft 2A Deluxe Ocean View cabins on Mercury

Drew B

Thanks to this thread I just changed my 2A's on deck 9 to the 2A's aft on deck 8. Drew, from previous threads I know you have "shared" a cabin with us before, 7199 on Summit; if you're sailing on the Mercury soon, will you let me know how these aft deck 8's compare to the FV's on the M class?

I'm sailing in 8263 in September. Is that before your trip?

The room was configured as a FOV: a double bed pushed up against the wall in the front room, and a day bedstyle sofa/bed with a pull down bunk above. It used to have the 5th bed/back sofa,but now has that space open and a sliding door to the balcony.

The double bed was much improved with the dry dock and very comfortable. We kind of took turns in that bed, so I had the single bed that is a sofa during the day. It is not a sofa bed, but more like a day bed so the mattress is harder, like a sofa cushion. I requested an "egg crate" and it was fine after that addition. I never slept in the bunk bed so I'm not sure if it was very comfy, but the kids said it wasfine.

Hmmm. I will be deciding between sleeping in the sofa/day bed and the bunk bed. I wonder which is better? I think it would be more convenient to use the bunk, but we'll see...

We have cabin 1163 which is on the end on the Penthouse Deck. I sure hope people do not hang over the rail and peek into out balcony. I think that would be rude!

We are so excited about this cabin that we booked it again for a cruise we are taking in April. We have stayed in this cabin before but it was back in 2004 and I really loved the extra space. The bed against the wall did bother me a little bit, but it is only for a few days so I can live with it.

Lynn

Lynn: We have #1163 for our 9/14 sailing to Alaska. Do you sail before then? If so, let me know how it is. This will be our first aft cabin.

After seeing the pics of the Mercury aft baloncy cabins posted in this thread, I am really regretting booking this cabin. We have #1163 for our 9/14 sailing to Alaska. There are THREE people in our cabin and I can see we will definitely be cramped. I was also never told it was a double bed. My husband and I may as well plan on turning over in synchronized movements during the night. Also, if I'm reading these posts correctly, is there no longer a sofa bed for a third person? If not, why did Celebrity allow us to book this??

I thought the aft cabins would be more of a luxury after the refurbishments.

After seeing the pics of the Mercury aft baloncy cabins posted in this thread, I am really regretting booking this cabin. We have #1163 for our 9/14 sailing to Alaska. There are THREE people in our cabin and I can see we will definitely be cramped. I was also never told it was a double bed. My husband and I may as well plan on turning over in synchronized movements during the night. Also, if I'm reading these posts correctly, is there no longer a sofa bed for a third person? If not, why did Celebrity allow us to book this??

I thought the aft cabins would be more of a luxury after the refurbishments.

If you'd like to see a more accurate floorplan, look at the Galaxy section on the X website. Here is a url for the link to this cabin type: http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/ships/cabinclass/cabintype/home.do?br=C&cabinType=FO&cabincls=O&shipCode=GL

They have removed the back sofa to make room for the door out to the balcony...

If you've changed your mind, there are other non-aft 2A's available (9104 and 9078, according to X's website. They would probably let you switch for the same price...

Meanwhile, we've missed you on the roll call. You should check in.

I'm sailing in 8263 in September. Is that before your trip?

Drew, we're sailing in October, so will be watching for your pics or report. Suzanne, thanks for your input. I'm staying with the two cabins. The two bathrooms are the biggest incentive (the boys in our family are so high maintenance!)

If you'd like to see a more accurate floorplan, look at the Galaxy section on the X website. Here is a url for the link to this cabin type: http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/ships/cabinclass/cabintype/home.do?br=C&cabinType=FO&cabincls=O&shipCode=GL

They have removed the back sofa to make room for the door out to the balcony...

If you've changed your mind, there are other non-aft 2A's available (9104 and 9078, according to X's website. They would probably let you switch for the same price...

Meanwhile, we've missed you on the roll call. You should check in.

Since I'd like to try an aft cabin, we'll stay put. Like a previous poster pointed out, Celebrity should make sure the cabin layouts are more accurately represented on the website. It sure would help with planning.

I checked in on the roll call in May. (9/14/07 Mercury sailing)

Like a previous poster pointed out, Celebrity should make sure the cabin layouts are more accurately represented on the website. It sure would help with planning.

In this case, I'm pretty glad the website is misleading. If it had been accurate, I doubt I would have been able to book this kind of cabin at this rate. These are considered desirable layouts, and are coveted by families with 3 or 4 (or even 5). I think that if folks had known what they were, they would have sold out.

In this case, I'm pretty glad the website is misleading. If it had been accurate, I doubt I would have been able to book this kind of cabin at this rate. These are considered desirable layouts, and are coveted by families with 3 or 4 (or even 5). I think that if folks had known what they were, they would have sold out.

That is a good point, DrewB. I'll still enjoy it - after all I'm cruising in Alaska!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

I guess I'm fairly annoyed at Celebrity's inability to give definitive answers and the incorrect web site as 1161 does not sound suitable for two singles sharing. I couldnt see either me or my friend in what seems to be a very narrow hard day bed or as we are in our 50s, clambering up into a bunk! However as the cruise is sold out, I guess I'm stuck with it and will have to travel alone on this one if I am to travel in comfort.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

I guess I'm fairly annoyed at Celebrity's inability to give definitive answers and the incorrect web site as 1161 does not sound suitable for two singles sharing. I couldnt see either me or my friend in what seems to be a very narrow hard day bed or as we are in our 50s, clambering up into a bunk! However as the cruise is sold out, I guess I'm stuck with it and will have to travel alone on this one if I am to travel in comfort.

I have to agree. They should be a little more knowledgable and accurate.

LHARTWICK,

We are going in 2 weeks so I can answer any other questions you may have, but I think CruiseArizona posted a detail review of the cabin and she did state there is no pull out bed so I'm not sure how that will work for your father.

She also stated the day bed/couch was hard and she got a egg crate to make it softer to sleep.

These cabins have always been a very different set up and I think they work best for a couple or couple with 2 small kids. I do not think they work well for 2 singles or 3 adults traveling together. That is just my opinion and I have stayed in one back in 2004 long before the balcony was added and I loved the cabin , but it was just my husband and I.

Lynn

LHARTWICK,

We are going in 2 weeks so I can answer any other questions you may have, but I think CruiseArizona posted a detail review of the cabin and she did state there is no pull out bed so I'm not sure how that will work for your father.

She also stated the day bed/couch was hard and she got a egg crate to make it softer to sleep.

These cabins have always been a very different set up and I think they work best for a couple or couple with 2 small kids. I do not think they work well for 2 singles or 3 adults traveling together. That is just my opinion and I have stayed in one back in 2004 long before the balcony was added and I loved the cabin , but it was just my husband and I.

Lynn

Why in the world would Celebrity allow me to book this cabin if there's only sleeping arrangements for two people???

I posted the majority of this on another thread, but I thought I'd chime in here just in case anyone on this thread needs the information.

We were in 8259 in November, and again in the same cabin this time, only it had the addition of the bacony.

The Aft cabins were quite nice and a nice improvement for our group of 4 on since we last had the cabin in Nov.

There were reports that the rooms were made smaller by the addition of the door, but I can say with out any question that the size of the room actually increased by a definative 12 -18 inches in length. The back sofa is now gone and replaced with two small table chairs, but in addition to the extra space created by the removal of the sofa, the wall where the window used to be is now 12-18 inches further out in the room. The balconies are a nice size, a bit bigger than a 2A, but not covered in any way. They are not as windy as the 2a cabin that my MIL had ,because of the aft location. We had a nice time on the balcony as we were leaving the Hubbard Glacier. Really great pictures then,and later that night at Sunset.

The room was configured as a FOV: a double bed pushed up against the wall in the front room, and a day bedstyle sofa/bed with a pull down bunk above. It used to have the 5th bed/back sofa,but now has that space open and a sliding door to the balcony.

The double bed was much improved with the dry dock and very comfortable. We kind of took turns in that bed, so I had the single bed that is a sofa during the day. It is not a sofa bed, but more like a day bed so the mattress is harder, like a sofa cushion. I requested an "egg crate" and it was fine after that addition. I never slept in the bunk bed so I'm not sure if it was very comfy, but the kids said it wasfine.

QUOTE]

Since I'm getting conflicting answers from posters AND the Celebrity website is of no help, could you please tell me if the 2A cabin will or will NOT sleep 3 people? According to the layout it is supposed to have a sofabed, a double bed and an upper berth (bunk). Is this true or not? If not, we are in a lot of trouble since there are 3 people in our cabin. I'm hoping it has all 3 type beds. Since the main bed is a double, my DH could sleep there (since it's small), I could sleep in the bunk, and my dad could use the sofa bed. I don't understand why we were allowed to book it if it does not accomodate 3 people (adults). We have cabin #1163 reserved. Since you just returned from a 2A, I thought you could help. I am about to hit the panic button. According to the same type room on the Galaxy, it would work, but others are telling me it only sleeps 2 people.

LHARTWICK,

The cabin can sleep 4 people - 2 in the double bed, 1 in the top pull down bunk, and 1 on the day bed/couch and I do not think this pulls out. It is just a single size. If you are comfortable in a top bunk and your father below you on the day bed/couch then this cabin will work fine for you.

When we go in 2 weeks I will double check if the day bed pulls out, but Cruise Arizona did not state that in her review and I cannot remember from our cruise in 2004 and I do not think you will get a correct answer from Celebrity.

Lynn

LHARTWICK,

By the way we are also in cabin 1163 so I can take pictures and send to you when we return on July 22nd.

My opinion that it does not work well for 3 adults is because we are over 50 and would not sleep on a top bunk. It is just one of those thing you refuse to do as you get older.

I really loved the cabin and the extra size and am looking forward to seeing it again in 2 weeks with the new balcony. I have also booked it again for a cruise in April 2008.

Lynn

Celebrity has always felt that these cabins were for families...or 2-3 people. But not everyone is well suited to the bed arrangements.

It's not that Celebrity is trying to sell you a cabin that is wrong for you...it's they (customer service reps) are given certain criteria that meets the specifications of these types of cabins.

It's up to the individual to make a booking decision, as to what actually "fits" their needs and comfort.

Karyn

Celebrity has always felt that these cabins were for families...or 2-3 people. But not everyone is well suited to the bed arrangements.

It's not that Celebrity is trying to sell you a cabin that is wrong for you...it's they (customer service reps) are given certain criteria that meets the specifications of these types of cabins.

It's up to the individual to make a booking decision, as to what actually "fits" their needs and comfort.

Karyn

They market them as a room with a "sofa bed" - which I interpret to mean that the bed pulls out to make a bed. If it's a futon type bed, they should say so.

LHARTWICK,

By the way we are also in cabin 1163 so I can take pictures and send to you when we return on July 22nd.

My opinion that it does not work well for 3 adults is because we are over 50 and would not sleep on a top bunk. It is just one of those thing you refuse to do as you get older.

I really loved the cabin and the extra size and am looking forward to seeing it again in 2 weeks with the new balcony. I have also booked it again for a cruise in April 2008.

Lynn

Lynn: yes - please do send pics when you return. Although I'm afraid I'm stuck with this cabin regardless. I can get another 2A but it wouldn't be an aft. It just irks me that the cabins aren't portrayed more accurately on the web site. Thanks, Lynn!

They market them as a room with a "sofa bed" - which I interpret to mean that the bed pulls out to make a bed. If it's a futon type bed, they should say so.

I completely agree with you...Celebrity's Customer Service (or lack of it), leaves lots to be desire, and they really need to step-up their training, and keep their staff up to date with changes.

Karyn

If it's like the second sofa bed in the FV on Summit, it's not really futon-like. The top of the sofa FLIPS OVER to reveal an actual mattress. I didn't sleep on it, but it didn't look bad. I just don't remember what happened with the arms, so I'm not sure if it is suitable for somebody tall (or somebody like me who likes to have my toes hang over the end of the bed...).

Archived