AA Cancelled Flight-What to DO?

lgt

We (6 of us) have been booked on an American flight out of Chicago on 10/31 (the day the ship leaves-Golden)to San Juan. We were supposed to leave Chicago around 6:30AM and arrive in SJ at 1PM. We figured that was plenty of leeway considering weather and delays. Now, AA has cancelled that flight and put us on another one that doesn't get in until 5:30PM. This is cutting it too close for comfort for me. I'm thinking of telling AA to put us on a flight the day before and change our fare to the lowest fare they have out there (around $60pp less) to make up some for the hotel we will have to get. We went in the same day because 1 of the couples has 5 kids and their sitter couldn't come until late Sat. night, but they think they can get Grandma for the night. Anyway, any suggestions ??? Do you think they will do this? What a pain in the a**. Not the way to start a trip. Always appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks

From what we learned with Chris' (CruisingIsLife) and his recent flight issues, if the flight time is changed that drastically you can get a full refund and make alternate arrangements. You aren't necessarily tied to AA in that case and might be able to find something better.

I agree with your own guess, tell them to fly you out the prior day, and try to negotiate a better rate. You probably won't get a better rate, but they should give you the same rate, at least. Getting a refund and flying on another carrier is an option, but make sure you can match or beat the fare before you ask for that refund!

I'm going on the Golden a week after and I've been told that as long as we can board the ship before 10:00 p.m. we will have no problems. 5:00 will definately give you enough time to get onto the ship, however it just might not give you enough time to site see in San Juan.

[b][color=black]There is NO reason not to fly our prior day.. first it is classic CC sage advice. Second it starts your vacation a day early. Third you get more time in San Juan. Forth the other time is WAY too close for longdistance travel.[/color][/b]
[b][color=black][/color][/b]
[b][color=black]This is a no brainer.. go out the day before.[/color][/b]

That is cutting it too close for my comfort. Even though it is a non-stop flight the aircraft has to arrive in time for your flight to take off on time. Weather in another part of the country could effect you if your aircraft is coming from there.

Go the day before it's not worth the stress worrying about it.

We always go the day before even though we live in Atlanta and FLL is only an 1.5 hour flight and there flights leaving every two hours throughout the day. I travel by air frequently and I've seen some pretty unpredictable things happen.

Scott

[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=Purple][SIZE=3]I always fly Northwest, because we have miles with them, so this is their policy! IF your itinerary has changed and does not fit your schedule, they will change you for free, ON THE SAME DAY ONLY! You cannot make changes to another day or another airport location without a fee. Even though they "offered" you the later flight, Northwest will bump passengers to get you on an earlier flight. This has happened to me about 4-5 times since I booked my tickets for Fort Lauderdale for next month on the Caribbean Princess. I booked the tickets a year out and they have changed me several times due to flight times and plane cancellations. NEVER a problem, however if I wanted to change the day or fly into another airport it was $75.00 a ticket. Call today and tell them you HAVE to fly out in the morning due to a cruise. My bet is they accommodate you without a fee or a problem! Good luck, keep us posted! Ü[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='spongerob']From what we learned with Chris' (CruisingIsLife) and his recent flight issues, if the flight time is changed that drastically you can get a full refund and make alternate arrangements. You aren't necessarily tied to AA in that case and might be able to find something better.[/QUOTE]

This is true....and yet another reason to come in town a day early. You've still got time to make it work

But rather than looking for the refund without penalty they WILL give you I'd be knocking on AA's door to rebook you on a flight sometime between 24 hours earlier and when your original flight was. I'd be telling them "Hey, I got a ship to catch" and let them figure it out to your satisfaction.

Odds are if there were any fare difference they'd eat it if you're nice on the phone. A similar situation happened to us on AA booked through Orbitz and they really bent over backwards to get us on a flight that worked with our schedule.

If all else fails you can take the refund but tell them this "it will be credited to your charge card (if you paid with one) within two billing cycles" line they dole out won't cut it.

(I might throw in as a side note that this IS a real good time to have paid with a debit card, they cant hand you that line as there are no traditional billing cycles associated with your checking account)

I'd also be armed with the available flights on other airlines BEFORE you call AA to get the matter resolved. You may find that the flight option they are offering you which might have seemed not all that great is in fact a pretty viable option compared to what else is out there.

Bottom line to me and knee-jerk reaction is that AA cancelled your flight and they need to get you on one that works for you.

You should not have to accept the 5:30 flight as you only option because it is clearly not

I just had this problem recently with our flight on USAir fr our Diamond cruise. When I spoke with the rep, she said we could change our itinerary to any day (earlier, later, same) without a fee as long as we didn't go to another airport. Call and talk to them and see. Tell them you were on a cruise and you WILL miss the ship if you get in at 5:30. The rep I spoke with was incredibly accomodating and tried to find me another flight with any member of the Star Alliance. Knowing we had a ship to catch was a non-negotiable and she was very helpful.

AA recently cancelled our 11am flight from Miami and put us on a later flight. Unfortuantly they did nothing with our flight from Atlanta to Miami. Not only are we getting to San Juan 4 hours later then we had planned, we get the joy of sitting in Miami for a 4 hour layover:mad:.........Luckily we are getting there a day early.

I guess I'm dating mysef when I say this, but I can remember when flying was FUN!

When an airline changes your flight, I believe they will accommodate you without charge. I'm sure you can request that your flights be changed to the day before and you shouldn't be charged any fee for changing flights.

Spirit Airlines had a schedule change that meant a 30 minute difference in our flight. It worked to my benefit. Our vacation plans changed and I had wanted to change that flight anyway. They told me I could make a change up to 30 days from the date of the original flight witout paying a fee. So I did. And they didn't charge me anything extra for the fare, even though the new fare was quite a bit more expensive.

[quote name='GummyBear']I guess I'm dating mysef when I say this, but I can remember when flying was FUN![/QUOTE]

Don't get me started :O

These days, the food on a 4.5 hour flight is a small cold sandwich with stale bread and a bag of chips. But the bigger problem is the sardine seating. I'm average sized and all that, but the seats on planes these days are too small for comfort. You gotta take turns with your neighbor on the armrest. Ok, I know the seat pitch hasn't changed in years, but before the middle seat was always empty. Now, planes fly full to the gills!

And for the final parting shot- before, when the plane pulled up the gate, they left the air on. Now, they kill the air asap. Nothing quite like the ambience of 150 hot and sweaty people standing elbow to elbow in the aisles waiting for the door to open.

I'm all for saving jet fuel, but can't they plug the jet into A/C power for air?!?!

The following is taken from the [url="http://www.aa.com/content/amrcorp/corporateInformation/facts/safety.jhtml"]aa.com[/url] website:

"In the event of a cancelled flight, American Airlines will accommodate passengers on the next flight with available seats or, in some circumstances, on another airline. If unable to reroute passengers, American Airlines may provide overnight accommodations, subject to availability."

[quote name='CruisingIsLife']I'd also be armed with the available flights on other airlines BEFORE you call AA to get the matter resolved. [/QUOTE]This is the best advice you have received thus far.

Bottom line is you will have to call AA. The reason for knowing the other airlines flights is that AA is under [u]contract[/u] to get you to/from where you need to go. This is not a delay and you have not been bumped. They have cancelled your flight.

They have 3 options:
>full refund with no fees, no questions asked (not always the best deal!)
>put you on an alternate AA flight 'that is to your satisfaction' (note: they won't refund you if the fare is lower but they also won't charge you anymore if the price has increased. Naturally, if you know you can get a lower fare, then take the refund and rebook on your own.
>rebook you on another airline - it doesn't matter the price you paid for your ticket, or if it was booked with points, they have to do this if you insist.
>you may also be able to get them to fly you in the day before (on AA) and have them pay for your hotel. You'll have to ask for this and sometimes the rep will have to put in the request. Doesn't hurt to ask, if your schedule allows.

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted with your efforts.

If you call AA and tell them that your new flight time will not work because you need to catch a cruise, they will change it without charge. AA has a flight that leaves ORD on 10/31 at 0600 connecting thru MIA and arriving in San Juan at 2:12PM. That flight will get you to the ship with plenty of time to spare.

Greg

Archived