Some new Passport rules suspended

dkjretired

Guess I'm a little grumpy today....just want to get out of work, so take this rant for what it is.;)

Certainly anyone on here has known that this was coming. So no excuses for us. Most people who travel frequently know/knew too. No excuses for them. Anyone who had something like a 40th wedding anniversary knew in PLENTY of time to get passports....in fact, I'd be surprised if the trip they're taking wasn't planned for over a year. (When you think about it, they've known about the potential for this trip for ..well 40 years!!!:D )

So that only leaves those who need to renew, and those need to fly abroad relatively unexpectedly. For them, I'm still having a hard time believing that, with all the media attention this item got in the daily newspapers of most major cities, there wasn't a few years' warning that most people should get their passports, or get them renewed ahead of time. WHATEVER!

No sympathy from me....I've had a passport for 41 of my 44 and 3/4 years, and, besides, I'm stuck at work, and I'd rather be stuck in a security line in...oh...Spain, say, waiting to get on a cruise ship!!!!!:cool:

Andrew

Andrew, I suspect that this may be the fault of government bureaucracy and not travelers applying too late. (Anyone remember "No Child Left Behind?" Another slogan without funding to fully implement.) Now we have a law requiring passports, but due to the processing backlog, we can't enforce it.

One would have thought that our government could have predicted and planned for the rush of US citizens applying for and renewing passports.

On the other hand, Andrew, I'm feeling kind of grumpy myself, so let's just consider this my rant for the day!;)

Susan

Don I saw this news tonight, so thanks. I think it keeps tourism up and accountability by tourists to do what needs to be done down. At some point they have to get firm.

Maybe a flyer in every mailbox kind of thing instead of leaving it to CNN.

Has anyone had a recent experience with renewal of passports? I submitted mine May 1 (6 1/2 months before travel plans) and was told 10 to 12 weeks, but I have heard so many horror stories... My passport was good until Jan. 20, 2008, but we are traveling mid-November to Europe and returning early December and need 6 months remaining after the date of return. I would really qppreaciate it if someone with a recent renewal experience would post and let me know how long the renewal process without expediting is actually taking.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Has anyone had a recent experience with renewal of passports? I submitted mine May 1 (6 1/2 months before travel plans) and was told 10 to 12 weeks, but I have heard so many horror stories... My passport was good until Jan. 20, 2008, but we are traveling mid-November to Europe and returning early December and need 6 months remaining after the date of return. I would really qppreaciate it if someone with a recent renewal experience would post and let me know how long the renewal process without expediting is actually taking.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

I’m in the same boat as you. I always use my passport because I’m a naturalized citizen and I don’t want have to take all the documents needed because I don’t want to lose them and just showing one piece of ID is far better than all the paper work I would need.

I sent my renewal off in February for an August cruise and still don’t have it back. What really gets me is that I have no passport on me right now!

We leave in 8 weeks so I hope the cruise lines will accept the receipt from the State Department along with on ID.

The U.S. Departments of State and Homeland Security announced June 8, 2007 that U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda who have applied for but not yet received passports can nevertheless temporarily enter and depart from the United States by air with a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application for a passport through September 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) was mandated by Congress in the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for citizens and legitimate international visitors. WHTI requirements for air travel took effect on January 23, 2007.

Adults who have applied for but not yet received a passport should present government-issued photo identification and an official proof of application from the U.S. Department of State. Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents or legal guardian will be permitted to travel with the child’s proof of application. Travelers who have not applied for a passport should not expect to be accommodated. U.S. citizens with pending passport applications can obtain proof of application at: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html .

The only people I feel sorry for are the ones who sent in for renewal and were told up to 12 weeks and still have not received theirs. I think the whole good for six months post travel is sort of a racket anyway as it turns a 10 year passport into a 9 year six months passport. If you have a return ticket, the country in question should permit entry and not require a six months validity.

I know the minute we get back from our Hawaii cruise I will be sending off DD's for renewal for whatever trip will be coming in 2009.

Kay, you wanted recent Passport experience without expediation....I sent my renewal in the 1st week of March and just received it back on May 31.

Good thing I wasn't in any hurry. It didn't expire until Nov. 2007, but I like to take it on cruises with me.

I wish everyone good luck and please don't wait until the last minute to apply! Deb

I think the whole good for six months post travel is sort of a racket anyway as it turns a 10 year passport into a 9 year six months passport. If you have a return ticket, the country in question should permit entry and not require a six months validity.

I agree with you whole-heartedly. It's even worse for us Canadians, as our passports are only valid for 5 years which means in effect we have to renew them every 4 1/2 years. Definitely a pain! :(

2 childrens new passports took 10 weeks..I applied Jan 16 they were returned april 3..We are travelling July 20 to Europe..

Guess I'm a little grumpy today....just want to get out of work, so take this rant for what it is.;)

Certainly anyone on here has known that this was coming. So no excuses for us. .....

No sympathy from me....I've had a passport for 41 of my 44 and 3/4 years, and, besides, I'm stuck at work, and I'd rather be stuck in a security line in...oh...Spain, say, waiting to get on a cruise ship!!!!!:cool:

Andrew

The reality is that passport renewals are also stuck in this mess, and that many, many travellers believed what the State Deparment kept posted on its website through a good part of February: Allow 6 weeks for a regular passport, and 2 weeks for an expedited passport. The truth was that even in January these times were not generally being met, and people who allowed generous limits of twelve weeks STILL found themselves without their passports. Were people supposed to apply a year in advance of their planned renewal?

The State Department flat out lied, the delays have been getting worse, not better, and they continue to understate the processing time. This isn't a problem with the American public, its a problem with bureaucrats who either can't tell the truth or don't want to know how bad the situation really is. Processing times vary widely from center to center, and reports of incorrect passports (wrong name, wrong picture, wrong date of birth, wrong place of birth) are much higher than ever before. The system is broken, and a short-term fix isn't going to solve this problem.

GWoodman:

Just my opinion--I would wait until mid 2009. You need to work around your planned cruises though in 2009. By 2009 I would hope this whole backlog would be figured out and things would be processed much quicker.

Keep alert to news on Passport applications when the year get closer for you. :cool: Deb

I paid for expedited renewal and had my renewed passport back within 10 days of sending it out. I sent the old one into the Philly office and the renewal came back to me from the NH office. I did so not because I procrastinated, but because I didn't want to be without it. As an agent, I never know when an opportunity for a cheapee trip may pop up suddenly.

People are procrastinators. I booked a client on a Russian rivercruise on May 15th. She is flying out on July 10th. She knew when she booked her cruise she had lost her passport, but she did not inform me of such until May 31st!

Not only does she have to pay the extra money for expedited service, she'll have to pay expedited service as well for her Russian visa. ARGH>>>>>>>>

I can't tell you how many people are just like my client above. I send passport applications out to clients who don't have them. I tell them where to get their pictures taken.. At final payment time.. they still haven't applied!!!!!!!!! So they have to ante up the extra money and use an expedited service.

Is a passport needed for a round trip cruise from San Diego to Hawaii with an hours stop over night in Mexico?

It will be in January 2008. Until then you only need a birth certificate with a raised seal and a state issued ID. Because you will be in Hawaii flying back to the States in the event of an emergency will not be an issue.

O.k., I'm not as grumpy today :) ...renewal folks have my sympathy, as does anyone who has the misfortune to lose theirs....:eek:

But, like Ocngypz, I've paid for expedited service when I had any doubt, and never had a problem.

I guess my "reaction" was because this has been talked about and delayed so many times that if I didn't have a passport back in 2005, I would have still applied when they mentioned it becoming an eventuality. Seems like some folks decided with the extension before enforcing the rules that they might as well procrastinate some more. :rolleyes:

Andrew

Actually there is not suspension to the rules here. The government is offering an olive branch to those who have applied for a passport with ample time according to the State Department’s website, and have not yet received it. Air travelers must present their receipt from the State Department and they make it clear that if you don’t have this you can’t travel to the designated countries.

Now if only the State Department would realize that people cruising have documents tied up with their passport applications. :rolleyes:

Archived