No Need To Worry about late passports!!!

jasutrick

You no longer need to worry about passports arriving late for trips to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The U.S. State department today (6/8/07) waived passports for travel (flights) as long as you have: 1) State Department receipt showing they had applied for a passport before June 8th and 2) government issued identification such as a driver's license. This new rule is valid until the end of September. Great news for Cruise Travelers and Sun Seekers.

Here is the U.S. State Department News Release:

Joint Departments of State and Homeland Security Announcement: U.S. Citizens with Pending Passport Applications Allowed Temporary Travel Flexibility Within Western Hemisphere

FAQ's on travel The U.S. Departments of State and Homeland Security announced today that U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda who have applied for but not yet received passports can nevertheless temporarily enter and depart from the United States by air with a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application for a passport through September 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) was mandated by Congress in the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for citizens and legitimate international visitors. WHTI requirements for air travel took effect on January 23, 2007.

Adults who have applied for but not yet received a passport should present government-issued photo identification and an official proof of application from the U.S. Department of State. Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents or legal guardian will be permitted to travel with the child's proof of application. Travelers who have not applied for a passport should not expect to be accommodated. U.S. citizens with pending passport applications can obtain proof of application at: http://travel.state.gov.

This accommodation does not affect entry requirements to other countries. Americans traveling to a country that requires passports must still present those documents.

Since implementation, U.S. Customs and Border Protection has and will continue to exercise its current authorities in unique circumstances to allow individuals subject to the WHTI requirements into the United States based on other evidence of identity and citizenship.

As early as January 2008, the Departments will begin to implement WHTI at land and sea ports of entry. A Notice of Proposed Rulemaking outlining a phased implementation is expected to be published in the Federal Register within the next two weeks.

Travel document security remains a top priority for the U.S. Government. Both the 9/11 Commission and the U.S. Congress urged strengthening of travel documents to prevent entry of terrorists across our borders, reduce use of fraudulent documents, and speed up entry procedures.

2007/455

Released on June 8, 2007

progress.gif

Of course you will still need your Birth Certificate (Certified Copy - NO PHOTOCOPIES) and valid government issued photo I.D.

That's not what I heard. For new passports, people would have mailed their birth certificates in with the application and would not have them back. The announcement reads just the photo ID and proof of application.

We have always had passports, We do lots of last minute travels. Just ran across a great deal for a cruise tour in Russia. I have no passport because I was required to turn it back in. The relax state does not apply to this trip. So now we can't go. They have had mine for 4 months. When we first applied many years ago it took like 3 weeks max.

We sent my daughters application off the first of March and still don't have it. I read about the new rule but I really want her passport for a variety of reasons.

1) They told us 8 weeks when we sent it off.

2) We sent her original birth certificate with it like they told us to and she was born in a different state.

3) The way the government works, I fear having an emergency in Mexico and them not letting us fly back to U.S. (I know they say we can)

4) Plus we paid for it and sent it early:mad: just for this trip.

We never travel and this could be the last time for a long time.

I know it's just the government as usual but UUUGGGHHH!

There, I'll quit gripeing now! Sorry, had to vent.

Christy

At least they'll know you applied for your passport, and good for you! Just carry a copy of the application I would guess. I mean what other proof would you have? It's not like the state dept sends you a return receipt, unless you send the app certified mail/ return receipt, but that still would not necessarily be proof of pp app. So, what is proof? Really?? :p

DW and I got ours in April before our Sept 05 Honeymoon cruise (prior to the mad rush) and it took about 6 weeks.

DW got a duplicate (name change ya know! :) ) and it took seemingly no time at all; again, probably prior to the mad rush and just before our April 06 trip.

And from our news it sounds as if they are trying to get the same regulations for Canadian travelors.

Looks like we won't need to have guarantors anymore to renew or new photos I think I heard..but for now we still need passports.. US is good as it is now with the new rules until Sep 08 as long as they have proof of applying for a passport..

If you go to the U.S. State Department website and look where you check your passport status, you can get a receipt to print out if they have notice of your application.

This is only happening because of PROCRASTINATION we all know it... :rolleyes:

If you go to the U.S. State Department website and look where you check your passport status, you can get a receipt to print out if they have notice of your application.

It used to just say "check status" but now it says "check status and to print passport application proof."

If it can't find your application in the system, there is a note on the following page that says "If your information (last name, date of birth, and last four digits of your Social Security Number) matches more than one record in our database your record will not appear online." What are the odds of that? But I'm sure it can and will happen. Eeeek.

Well I just heard on the news that the airport will scan some code or punch in a code in there system and it will connect to the agency who issues Passports so that they will know you applied for a Passport.

Folks this has nothing to do with cruise travel. It only applies to flying out and back for travel to Mexico and Canada.

The cruise deadline for passports is still Jan 1 2008 although lawmakers are being very vocal about wanting it delayed, giving a vote of no confidence to DHS.

Growing up a military brat, I will never understand why under any circumstance anyone would want to leave thier home country with out a passport. Even before it was a requirement. It's difficult to have sympathy for those who have spent the money on a vacation, but chose not to do anything till last minute, especially traveling abroad.

:( It looks like Ben Franklin was right... we have given up essential liberties for temporary safety and are getting neither.

Hardly, passports have been required for longer than I have lived and I'm 66. Cruise travel and travel to our close neighbors in our hemisphere were the only exceptions. Now they, our close neighbors, to are requiring passports for us to enter or leave their countries, same as we are. Probably should have been this way for years.

Many of us on CC have advised all to get passports ASAP over the last 2 or 3 years. A few naysayers, as always, have poo-pooed that advice. I have said, "beat the rush," and, "the price will go up." Well the rush is on and the gummint is all but insisting that you pay the EXPEDITE fee if you expect to get a passport in even an unreasonable amount of time. Also COUNT on reading something like this soon. "Due to the new hires necessary to handle the massive demand, we have had to increase passport fees by 30%, 50%, 75%, 100%." [you pick it]

Don't hold my feet to the fire on this, but I think the price 3 years back was under $60. Someone know for sure?

Dan

Don't hold my feet to the fire on this, but I think the price 3 years back was under $60. Someone know for sure?

Dan

I paid for my passport in April 2004, $85. $30 to the post office to ship it and $55 for the actual passport. I was told my passport would take approx 4-6 weeks, but I received it in 2 and a half weeks. I remember being shocked :D.

Hardly, passports have been required for longer than I have lived and I'm 66. Cruise travel and travel to our close neighbors in our hemisphere were the only exceptions. Now they, our close neighbors, to are requiring passports for us to enter or leave their countries, same as we are. Probably should have been this way for years.

Many of us on CC have advised all to get passports ASAP over the last 2 or 3 years. A few naysayers, as always, have poo-pooed that advice. I have said, "beat the rush," and, "the price will go up." Well the rush is on and the gummint is all but insisting that you pay the EXPEDITE fee if you expect to get a passport in even an unreasonable amount of time. Also COUNT on reading something like this soon. "Due to the new hires necessary to handle the massive demand, we have had to increase passport fees by 30%, 50%, 75%, 100%." [you pick it]

Dan

It has been 60 or 65 for a long time, with another 60 for expedited service. Renewals are about half that much.

I am not against passports, I have had one since I was a baby particlarly due to dual citizenship. In fact, I will likely be getting a Greek passport as well for traveling through Europe. My issue is in reading the article, which I think was posted in another thread, that Homeland Security is against this "proof of application" procedure due to the potential for "terrorists and other undersirables" to gain entry into the US. Add that to the poor manner in which this is being handled in addition to what a joy it is to fly these days, and the price we pay for that temporary safety starts to interfere with the liberties we hold dear, primarily the liberty to travel... to come and go from this country as we please.

The idea of a passport to and from Canada is excessive also... I live an hour from the border and people on both sides are already lessening their travel across because they don't have passports, don't want to incur the expense and can't deal with the hassle already imposed with tightened security. Businesses are losing money due to the decrease in travel across the border. The irony is, Canadians have little desire to permanently immigrate to the US, legally or illegally.

Archived