Maasdam/ S Class Suite Pics?

advocado

I just returned from Alaska on the Noodam. Terrific. We had an SA suite. Also terrific. We are cruising in January on the Maasdam (Panama Canal) and have booked an S suite. I can't find any pics of the suites on the S Class ships (other than HAL's). I note they are somewhat larger, but that appears to be entirely in the veranda which is 189 sq. ft vs. 132 on the Vista class. Anyone out there with who has a photo link? Thanks.

advocado

The S-suites are larger on the S-class (and R-class) ships than on the Vista's---not just the balcony, but the interior.

Now, I don't get to stay in the rarified air, but I have visited in the S-suites on the Ryndam and toured them on the Noordam. The suite on the Ryndam was lovely.

Ruth -- Thank you. For the last 25 years I have been working for all my kids (4). Now that they are gone and on the road to their own careers , I am beginning to enjoy the "rarified air" of doing for me. Frankly, it's a nice feeling. After the Panama Canal cruise, we're back on the Noordam for the Mediterranean in September. I am attempting to bring my estate to zero. Owe nothing. Have nothing. But a great ride.

advocado

Ruth -- Thank you. For the last 25 years I have been working for all my kids (4). Now that they are gone and on the road to their own careers , I am beginning to enjoy the "rarified air" of doing for me. Frankly, it's a nice feeling. After the Panama Canal cruise, we're back on the Noordam for the Mediterranean in September. I am attempting to bring my estate to zero. Owe nothing. Have nothing. But a great ride.

advocado

Go for it and enjoy. You've earned it.

The suite itself is larger. You also enter the dressing area/bathroom from the bedroom side and not from the entrance way of the cabin like on the Vista class ships. The dressing room is on one side and the bathroom on the other side - in other words - you don't walk through the dressing room to get to the bathroom. The glass doors on the 3 closets in the dressing room slide which means 2 people can't use them at the same time. There is a 4th closet just as you enter the cabin.

For the Caribbean and Panama Canal you will love the larger verandah - 2 lounge chairs with a small cocktail table, a large table and 4 chairs.

On "S" class ships, aside from having more space in both the cabin and the veranda, what we also love very much is having 12 drawers along the bureau under the window. On Noordam, there are a mere three drawers, an empty space presumably to be able to pull up a chair and use as a desk, then there is the next to useless cabinet.

Some genius decided we didn't want the drawers when (s)he designed the Vista Class ships and eliminated nine of them.

The "S" suites on Noordam are wonderful and we enjoy them but there are things about the other style "S" we enjoy more.

On the other hand, we like the veranda furniture on Vista ships far more and like the closets better as well. The other "S" have plenty of closet space but I like Vista's layout better.

It's also nice having the stall shower in addition to the tub/shower combination.

Thanks everyone for your info. I have been doing some digging and I note that while the Vista suites have dual sinks and cabinets in the bathroom (plus the separate shower and whirlpool tub), the S Class has a single sink/cabinet in the bathroom, and an individual sink in the dressing area and no separate shower. I also liked the outdoor furniture on the Vista and it appears that the verandah furniture is not as nice on the S Class. I only just stopped dreaming about the wonderful Alaska cruise on the Noordam and I am now shifting to the "...get ready for the Panama Canal" mode. Hmm... sounds like I'm hooked. It's a nice hook, though.

Wow -- we have been in SA on Zudierdam and Westerdam, and S on Maasdam and I really didn't notice any differences. I didn't actually count the drawers, though!! As far as the habitability and usefulness of the suite, they were essentially equal to us. And the Neptune Lounge was wonderful and the concierges outstanding.

Enjoy!

advocado

Hey I love advocados:D They grow really well down here.

I am with you, I think you have got the right attitude, can you perhaps hlep me to persuade the "Old boy" to come along on this wonderful ride :D

Cheers

Val

Hey I love advocados:D They grow really well down here.

I am with you, I think you have got the right attitude, can you perhaps hlep me to persuade the "Old boy" to come along on this wonderful ride :D

Cheers

Val

Well, for me, it wasn't all that tough. Remind the "Old boy" that the shadow following him is Father Time. Have him make a list of everything he's wanted to do but never did. If travel and new adventure are on the list then remind him -- I know it's trite -- that we only go around life's clock once. Once it's over, it's over. Happy trails.

We were in an SC cabin on the Noordam (this year) and an S cabin on the Maasdam back in 2004. The Maasdam suite was definitely bigger - but, I'm comparing an SC (not an SA) as you had. It had a sectional type sofa instead of straight sofa and 2 easy chairs instead of one. The SA on the Noordam was probably more like the S on the Maasdam. I remember more drawer space and very large veranda on the Maasdam, but I don't remember the room number. It was along the side of the ship; whereas, on the Noordam, we were on the aft corner. Veranda furniture on the Noordam was nicer - padded - but Maasdam may have updated their veranda furniture by now. I will try to post a couple of my pics from the Maasdam (2004) and hope that will help you. Have a great time on your next cruise. We are looking forward to our next one - we have 4 already booked in the next year and a half. I think we're becoming obsessive!

Maasdam-Scabin.jpg.19a7ba3a271693ed2d18228559e135f8.jpg

Maasdam-suite.jpg.44a082a5305cebe853ad3d3f1483a452.jpg

veranda-Maasdam-Scabin.jpg.779de67600f0f671c04fb7be9c260233.jpg

I also liked the outdoor furniture on the Vista and it appears that the verandah furniture is not as nice on the S Class.

On the Volendam this past Dec, some of the S suites had the new furniture, but not all. The pix posted above show the old style.

Thank you for the replies and photos. The S class cabin does look somewhat larger than the SA on the Vistas (though the bathroom must be somewat smaller) and the verandah definitely so. That's especially nice in warm weather cruising. This cruising thing does become infectitious, doesn't it?

The Vernada in the "S" class Suites is larger by a noticeable amount over the Vista verandas. The Vista veranda is plenty large and very comfortable, but without question the "S" class verandas are larger. They are double the size of the Category "A" and "B" cabins.

We like the furnitire on the Vista class verandas better than that of the "S" class.

Archived