Help

amazing

When we first heard of Azamara, we were extremely happy. Especially after a few negative Celebrity experiences and seeing this product going down and down more every cruise, we were longing for something else and better. So we thought Azamara will be the solution.

Longing for any info we could get, we check CC regularly to check on new reports, reviews and experiences. But it seems that they’ll get more negative day after day. True……Azamara needs time since it’s a new cruise line BUT……..if food at breakfast is poor, service not good, Butlers are room stewards with a tux, entertainment is lacking, etc than the basics are simply not good.

Sure…..they can have a problem with refrigerators or deck chairs. But things as service and food quality should be spotless as from day 1 but surely after somewhat sailings.

More or less we put some hope on the Q & A with Mr. Hanrahan, but unfortunately this came out as a promotion talk instead with no criticism or in-depth to it at all.

So were in great doubt………cancel our upcoming Quest cruise (we’ll be on her 4th sailing only) or give it a change with the risk to have another RCCL downgraded experience ? (as jiminphilly clearly mentioned: “They are the result of paying more attention to the bottom line and less attention to delivering quality and a superior guest experience.”)

One thing’s clear…….were getting more insecure on Azamara with every day going by. :confused: :confused:

After having read Sheila's enthusiastic and very detailed review of Journey, split out over multiple posts in this thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=565842

... I greatly look forward to cruising on Journey and Quest. Journey seems to be in fine shape now and I am sure Quest will have significantly less start-up problems.

The only reason why some people might want to consider cancelling is if they booked with the wrong expectations. Expectations on a kids program, on the smoking policy, on 'big ship entertainment', and so on.

Having cruised Tahitian Princess (identical to Journey and Quest, also former R-class) I know from experience how wonderful these ships are, and how different the atmosphere on a smaller ship is. (And yes, that includes a lot less entertainment and a lot less activities.) The combination of these great ships, wonderful itineraries and the Celebrity service is exactly what I am looking for in a cruise. But fortunately, tastes differ, and not everybody is like me... that's why there are other cruise lines as well :D

Floris

Floris,

What you said is so true..small ships have their own excellence to offer but it is not a big ship experience..I also have been on Oceania many times and love the small ship feel..but the entertainment is definitely not the same and probably wont be..

Have a great time..I know I am looking forward to our 9/1 Journey experience!!

Jan

We don't smoke, we don't have kids and we're not looking for broadway style shows.

We have sailed on Silversea, Seabourn, Regent, so size doesn't matter to us.

What matters to us however is fine dining, perfect and flexible service, personal touches and a memorable experience that matches to the amount of money paid for the journey.

The majority of the reviews and comments here do not really match with Sheila's comments and besides that they do not even match on what is promissed by Azamara's website.

I'm not saying that I won't like Azamara (why would be book it in the first ?) but that I'm getting more and more afraid whether it has been a good choice to opt for Azamara, based on the reviews comming out right now.:confused:

When we first heard of Azamara, we were extremely happy. Especially after a few negative Celebrity experiences and seeing this product going down and down more every cruise, we were longing for something else and better. So we thought Azamara will be the solution.

Longing for any info we could get, we check CC regularly to check on new reports, reviews and experiences. But it seems that they’ll get more negative day after day. True……Azamara needs time since it’s a new cruise line BUT……..if food at breakfast is poor, service not good, Butlers are room stewards with a tux, entertainment is lacking, etc than the basics are simply not good.

Sure…..they can have a problem with refrigerators or deck chairs. But things as service and food quality should be spotless as from day 1 but surely after somewhat sailings.

More or less we put some hope on the Q & A with Mr. Hanrahan, but unfortunately this came out as a promotion talk instead with no criticism or in-depth to it at all.

So were in great doubt………cancel our upcoming Quest cruise (we’ll be on her 4th sailing only) or give it a change with the risk to have another RCCL downgraded experience ? (as jiminphilly clearly mentioned: “They are the result of paying more attention to the bottom line and less attention to delivering quality and a superior guest experience.”)

One thing’s clear…….were getting more insecure on Azamara with every day going by. :confused: :confused:

Hi Amazing !

Being that most every post of yours has been negative, and it seems as if you are going to be unhappy with this Cruise, I would suggest you look elsewhere. It looks like you have already made up your mind. As you can still get your deposit back, I think you should look for other options.

One thing I always mention to posters here, is that you should not take every post as gospel. Sure, there have been many negative comments, but there have been some excellent comments as well. Me ? I would never take someone's comments on here as a reason to go or not go on a ship, but that's just me. I make up my own mind. I feel the odds are excellent that Quest will have a much better debut than Journey, but only time will tell.

Whatever you choose, I wish you all the best. Good luck !

I agree with Floris's opinions. I booked Quest for the many features that he describes, and I like the itinerary that we chose. Based on the reports now coming in on Journey, I am still comfortable with my decision.

I think that if my doubts and concerns were as great as some that you are having, I would probably be looking at alternative cruises - a vacation is supposed to be fun...as is the anticipation of it. Good luck with your decision. :)

We don't smoke, we don't have kids and we're not looking for broadway style shows.

We have sailed on Silversea, Seabourn, Regent, so size doesn't matter to us.

What matters to us however is fine dining, perfect and flexible service, personal touches and a memorable experience that matches to the amount of money paid for the journey.

Just from you posts here and your previous cruise experiences I would think AZA is not the the line for you.

Just from you posts here and your previous cruise experiences I would think AZA is not the the line for you.

Does this mean you confirm to not be certain on Azamara as well ? Since you think that my previous experiences will not match up to those with Azamara !

;)

Does this mean you confirm to not be certain on Azamara as well ? Since you think that my previous experiences will not match up to those with Azamara !

;)

If you are use to Silverseas, Regent etc... it doesn't sound like you would be happy with AZA

Just my personal observation based on your posts.

I have been wrong before;)

We were considering AZA but for now it seems like a step down from Oceania that we are use to.

I would go with your gut feeling.

If you are use to Silverseas, Regent etc... it doesn't sound like you would be happy with AZA

Just my personal observation based on your posts.

I have been wrong before;)

We were considering AZA but for now it seems like a step down from Oceania that we are use to.

I would go with your gut feeling.

I mentioned Silversea and Regent to "prove" it will not be my first small ship cruise as Floris suggested. However I realize that Azamara is not Silversea (the prices are also not Silversea ;) ) and don't expect the same level as the top market.

I'll keep a close watch on these boards for the upcoming months. But untill today we're in a canceling mood and opt for Oceania instead. But who knows we might change our minds.

One addendum for those who cited my comments - if you read the entire report, you know that it was not 'everything's coming up roses'. I aimed for a balanced report with the caveat that on the 4th cruise of a cruiseline that began with very serious issues, made even worse by the weather on the first cruise, I did not expect perfection. Not only did I point out the areas still needed serious attention but I noted that I had written a 3 page letter to the powers that be delineating all of them. Just want to be sure that, while we had a lovely cruise, my report was never intended as an apologia for Azamara.

Well that’s exactly what my interpretation was on your review ! And that’s precisely how I read other reviews. It’s not that each and everyone thinks that Azamara is the worst cruise experience ever. But it is clear that it is far from perfect.

Enough reasons for me to honestly doubt whether to take an Azamara cruise or not.

It’s only easy for others to criticize me because they think my posts are negative. I’m trying to be honest on my feelings and feel very sorry if that hurts anyone. But in my opinion this is because many of them are blind towards any comments regarding their so much beloved RCCL.

Spengle......THANKS for your honest review. I hope many Azamara guests will take the same time as you did and adress their honest comments and reviews to Mr. Hanrahan as well. Hopefully this results in upgrading Azamara.....since I think that's what people as you and I are after..

We're with you, Amazing. Taking the wait and see mode with regard to Journey. Food should have been taken care of by now!!!

That's what I mean. The same goes for the service and simple things as bringing an ice tea when being out on deck or full breakfast for every stateroom (although I booked a suite and speak for others on this). When you claim to be deluxe, this are basics and not specials !

Again....all understanding for refigerators or deck chairs. That simply belongs to maiden voyages. But after a few cruises you should deliver what you promise namely a DELUXE cruise expierence. Untill now I feel that current guests are not seen a passengers but used as test people instead !:o

You stated that you want "perfect service" -- which is probably not an expectation that will be met during the first few sailings on Quest.

I expect very good service at a minimum, with nearly every staff member striving to do their best and meet the highest standard (and I expect management to weed out anyone who isn't making that effort and succeeding after a reasonable learning curve). I expect to encounter some perfect service, and some that still has kinks left to work out.

I agree that Azamara will have to deliver an extremely high and consistent level of service in every respect to deliver on its promise .... I'm just not sure that it is at all realistic to expect "perfect service" on the first few sailings.

If stumbles, glitches and flaws are going to cause you to be unable to enjoy your vacation, you might be better off booking with an established line that has had time to smooth out every bump in service on a well-worn itinerary with no surprises ... at least for now .... and consider trying Azamara later on, when they've gotten a few more sailings under their belt.

I do think they are trying - a recent reviewer mentioned that they continue to bring aboard more experienced management to help work through problems, and they are clearly trying to respond to customer input (with mid-week comment cards and the laudable goal of addressing those negative comments DURING that same cruise if at all possible).

I'm just not sure what you need to have a great vacation and what they will in all likelihood be able to deliver - at the beginning - are a good match.

Hi Amazing !

Being that most every post of yours has been negative, and it seems as if you are going to be unhappy with this Cruise, I would suggest you look elsewhere. It looks like you have already made up your mind. As you can still get your deposit back, I think you should look for other options.

One thing I always mention to posters here, is that you should not take every post as gospel. Sure, there have been many negative comments, but there have been some excellent comments as well. Me ? I would never take someone's comments on here as a reason to go or not go on a ship, but that's just me. I make up my own mind. I feel the odds are excellent that Quest will have a much better debut than Journey, but only time will tell.

So what is that we are supposed to expect from Azamara?

They publish a set of criteria that they say they are going to provide on each and every cruise. Somebody here questions the fact that they are not coming close to providing what they said they would now and in the forseable future and he is told perhaps he should pick a different cruise line.

It is just this sort of mindset that gives no incentive for the cruise line to improve things. We have now gotten over the start-up jitters for Azamara and it seems they are only lacking new deck chairs and refrigerators to complete their renovation. As far as any of the reviews go I have yet to see anyone come back and say "wow what a huge difference from what I am used to on Celebrity". Mostly what I have heard is nice looking ship, tiny rooms, horrible bathrooms, lousy breakfast, and lunch and dinner about the same as Celebrity. Even the most glowing review states that they would not consider this a deluxe experience.

So what are we all supposed to do if we want a deluxe experience? By the tone of some of the posts here we should all be looking at a different cruise line because apparently some of us would like to receive what was advertised and none of you believe Azamara is going to deliver.

Frankly Amazing, I think you should look elsewhere. This is a new cruise line that is trying to find a nitche for itself. That's not going to happen overnight and whether it is successful or not remains to be seen. If you have these kinds of doubts, cancel and book something that you won't/don't have to worry about. Life is too short for that:)

We have a cruise booked on Quest, but its not until next March so everything should have settled down -- including the service, food, etc. There is nothing that can be done about "small cabins and horrible bathrooms" as that is the way the ship is built.

I'm giving Quest a try because I have never been on a small ship, or experienced open seating, or experience the "casual" dress, or lots of other things the small ship experience has. I'm willing to try something new and if it is at least as good as Celebrity, and I would expect it to be a notch above what Celebrity has to offer, that's fine. I think I'm either going to really like this experience or not -- no middle ground. But only time will tell;)

It’s only easy for others to criticize me because they think my posts are negative. I’m trying to be honest on my feelings and feel very sorry if that hurts anyone. But in my opinion this is because many of them are blind towards any comments regarding their so much beloved RCCL.

Hi Amazing...

Sorry to see you didnt agree with my comments. As I said earlier, I find it very odd that you keep coming on here, looking for every opportunity to rip the ship and Azamara's management, THEN, you ask for our help. Do you TRULY want our help ? If you had actually been on the ship, I would understand your comments. However, as you have not been on the ship, why the constant complaining ? Why only accept the negative comments, when there have been many favorable comments as well ? Apparantly, your mind is made up, and there is nothing wrong with that.

As it appears you can get your deposit back with no penalty, why not cancel if you are so nervous about your upcoming Cruise ? Why stress over it like this ? If I felt the way you do, I would have asked for my deposit back a long time ago. There are many other wonderful options out there, that might make you happy. Again, I truly hope you find what you seek. Good luck !

So what is that we are supposed to expect from Azamara?

They publish a set of criteria that they say they are going to provide on each and every cruise. Somebody here questions the fact that they are not coming close to providing what they said they would now and in the forseable future and he is told perhaps he should pick a different cruise line.

It is just this sort of mindset that gives no incentive for the cruise line to improve things. We have now gotten over the start-up jitters for Azamara and it seems they are only lacking new deck chairs and refrigerators to complete their renovation. As far as any of the reviews go I have yet to see anyone come back and say "wow what a huge difference from what I am used to on Celebrity". Mostly what I have heard is nice looking ship, tiny rooms, horrible bathrooms, lousy breakfast, and lunch and dinner about the same as Celebrity. Even the most glowing review states that they would not consider this a deluxe experience.

So what are we all supposed to do if we want a deluxe experience? By the tone of some of the posts here we should all be looking at a different cruise line because apparently some of us would like to receive what was advertised and none of you believe Azamara is going to deliver.

Hi Dale !

First off, nobody said Azamara cant deliver for the forseeable future. That's your comment/opinion, and not the consensus.

What else would you like me to tell the poster ? Go and enjoy your Cruise ? I wouldnt do that. They arent happy, and their mind is made up. Why struggle with this decision ? It's not as if you are making a life and death decision here. It's a Vacation !

If you arent happy, and you do not feel as if you will ever be happy with your decision, are miserable about it months BEFORE your Cruise.... AND you can get your full deposit back... WHY on Earth would anyone go on and on like this ? It makes no sense.

If anyone does not like what's being said about a particular Cruiseline ? The answer is simple.... Take your business elsewhere. I know that's what I would do ! But, as I said before, I would never let someone else's opinion sway me one way or the other. What's great for one person may be awful to someone else.

One last thing.... If you are going to expect perfection on any Vacation, it's simply NOT going to happen.

Hi Amazing...

Sorry to see you didnt agree with my comments. As I said earlier, I find it very odd that you keep coming on here, looking for every opportunity to rip the ship and Azamara's management, THEN, you ask for our help. Do you TRULY want our help ? If you had actually been on the ship, I would understand your comments.

And amen to that too, Andy!

Phil

Hi Dale !

First off, nobody said Azamara cant deliver for the forseeable future. That's your comment/opinion, and not the consensus.

What else would you like me to tell the poster ? Go and enjoy your Cruise ? I wouldnt do that. They arent happy, and their mind is made up. Why struggle with this decision ? It's not as if you are making a life and death decision here. It's a Vacation !

If you arent happy, and you do not feel as if you will ever be happy with your decision, are miserable about it months BEFORE your Cruise.... AND you can get your full deposit back... WHY on Earth would anyone go on and on like this ? It makes no sense.

If anyone does not like what's being said about a particular Cruiseline ? The answer is simple.... Take your business elsewhere. I know that's what I would do ! But, as I said before, I would never let someone else's opinion sway me one way or the other. What's great for one person may be awful to someone else.

One last thing.... If you are going to expect perfection on any Vacation, it's simply NOT going to happen.

At least it shows that you have never had a perfect experience whatsoever. Sorry to learn that, but I did.

Amen from my side as well Andy :p

Well said Andy. I think a few of us following this thread are wondering the same thing about the OP ... perhaps he will provide an answer to your question.

Well said Andy. I think a few of us following this thread are wondering the same thing about the OP ... perhaps he will provide an answer to your question.

Why does someone not have the right to question whether he made a right decission to book a cruise when more and more negatvie reviews about this cruiseline come out ? Didn't I start my thread by saying that we were extremely happy when learning about the introduction of Azamara ? Didn't I mention that the many negative reviews coming out do make me question the decission.

Perhaps it's a good idea for those following this thread and "wondering" to first read the thread very well and try to understand the deeper meaning of it before giving your comments !

Do you really think that my final decission "to cruise or not to cruise" with Azamara depends on this post ?

Or do you think that this post perhaps could have a total different meaning ?;) (and no.....it's not ment to just be negative !!!!!!)

I am curious as to how long you think it is necessary to give Azamara to fix something as simple as a bad breakfast buffet.

I'm also curious as to who forms the consensus here. The returning passengers are all consistent with their words that it was nothing special. Many posters on this and other threads have been hesitant to embrace Azamara due to their lack of performance as a deluxe line. And then you have a few people who are willing to defend Celebrity/Azamara no matter what the issue. Their names pop up in threads all across this board and the Celebrity board whenever a negative view is raised. I hardly call those few loyal fans a consensus with regard to the future potential performance of Azamara.

I think if you read between the lines from the interview with Mr. Dan that you can get a pretty good idea in what direction they are headed.

Archived