Share your 2007 shopping experiences here

I'm not going on this cruise to spend all of my time shopping but certainly would like to make the best use of my time when I do. Therefore, I thought that I would start a thread that would bring all the current 2007 shopping experiences into one place.

Tell us what you bought and where you bought it. Share your best finds and your shopping disasters. Tell us your favorite souvenirs (postcards, shotglasses and magnets not included) and the stuff you wish you hadn't bought. Tell us where you shopped (streets, stores, markets, etc.) and which shops were better for you. If you bought something in one city but found it was better to buy a similar item in another city, say so.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not going on this cruise to spend all of my time shopping but certainly would like to make the best use of my time when I do. Therefore, I thought that I would start a thread that would bring all the current 2007 shopping experiences into one place.

Tell us what you bought and where you bought it. Share your best finds and your shopping disasters. Tell us your favorite souvenirs (postcards, shotglasses and magnets not included) and the stuff you wish you hadn't bought. Tell us where you shopped (streets, stores, markets, etc.) and which shops were better for you. If you bought something in one city but found it was better to buy a similar item in another city, say so.

Thanks in advance.

What a great idea. Let's hope these ideas come in thick and fast. We leave in 7.5 weeks... but who's counting.

Jennie

What a great idea. Let's hope these ideas come in thick and fast. We leave in 7.5 weeks... but who's counting.

Jennie

It is a good idea (we leave in 8 weeks). For example, I know good sweaters in Oslo are expensive, but someone suggested purchasing sweaters in Tallinn. I think they said people set up stands near a "sweater wall," but I can't recall, and would love details.

great post...

the best and most inexpensive Amber is in Klaipeda, Lithuania...wish I had bought more when I was there two years ago....the pieces are unique and so inexpensive compared to the ship...or elsewhere for that matter...

this time our ship doesn't go to Klaipede..so I will have to get something in

Talin..we are in Riga on a sunday...dont know if any stores will be open and the markets really just have the "usual" stuff....

but who's counting.

Jennie

I AM!! Two counters in my sig file and two on my desktop (one for flight time and the other for Sail Away!)

but someone suggested purchasing sweaters in Tallinn. I think they said people set up stands near a "sweater wall," but I can't recall, and would love details.

MacT -- The Tallinn Tourist info website has brochures in pdf format that you can download and print out: http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/fpage/travelplanning/brochures

The one called Tallinn City Break has a page on shopping (which includes the sweater market); all of them have great color photos. To save paper, I printed it out 2 pages per sheet, starting with page 2 so that the two-page photos would look right.

the best and most inexpensive Amber is in Klaipeda, Lithuania...wish I had bought more when I was there two years ago....the pieces are unique and so inexpensive compared to the ship...or elsewhere for that matter...

Economies can change from year to year. 2007 shoppers are you still finding this to be true??

We found things to me much more expensive in Tallin then in St. Petersburg. Also we bought an egg at Catherine's Palace that they said was $380 US. We bargined for $300 and got it and then found it at the port shop for like $180.

We found things to me much more expensive in Tallin then in St. Petersburg. Also we bought an egg at Catherine's Palace that they said was $380 US. We bargined for $300 and got it and then found it at the port shop for like $180.

Melly, the exact same egg?? That must have been so annoying/frustrating/angering! Take some solace in the fact that there will be a few less eggs sold at Catherine's Palace now that we know that they can be gotten for cheaper elsewhere.

I AM!! Two counters in my sig file and two on my desktop (one for flight time and the other for Sail Away!)

MacT -- The Tallinn Tourist info website has brochures in pdf format that you can download and print out: http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/fpage/travelplanning/brochures

The one called Tallinn City Break has a page on shopping (which includes the sweater market); all of them have great color photos. To save paper, I printed it out 2 pages per sheet, starting with page 2 so that the two-page photos would look right.

Economies can change from year to year. 2007 shoppers are you still finding this to be true??

Just popped in and having a quick check on CC. Will look again in earnest later tonight but 1 quick question. ..How do you get time counters onto your desktop please?

Jennie

How do you get time counters onto your desktop please?

Jennie

I use a program called Desktop Sidebar which I can customize with various modules, one of which is called "How Long Until." Here is the website with all the information: http://www.desktopsidebar.com/index.html. It is free and if I remember correctly fairly free of adware, spyware and other intrusive ad-ons (or if not, the stuff was fairly easy to get rid of with an anti-spyware program).

We've kind of gotten off topic with this, so I supoose that if we want to keep talking about it, we should do it privately. You can reach me at peregrina651dashrollcall at yahoodotes -- where I spelled out the symbol use the symbol and remove all the spaces.

Thanks for the reference. Somehow I missed this. It seems to have lots of good information.

Hello!

In St. Petersburg, I found a TERRIFIC street market (right behind and across the street from the beautiful Church on Spilt Blood (has several names...guide will know).

We were staying in a 5 star hotel and had already visited several of the palace gift shops and a tourist trap near the Russian Museum so I was fairly aware of "fair" vs. inflated prices by the time we found the market.

The quality of all of the items was equal or better to items being sold in major boutiques...exquisitely painted lacquer boxes, "Faberge" eggs, nesting dolls, jewelry of all kinds, good stocks of amber, knitted items, scarves and literally 100's of things that I'm not remembering. I think that we spent about 4 hours in that market and enjoyed talking to the vendors...who were not pushy at all...just very friendly. The prices were at least 1/3 to 1/2 the price of what we'd seen in stores.

If you love ballet, I also found that the gift shop of the Mariinsky had some lovely items with a ballet theme and the ballet theater in the Hermitage had some ornaments/ballerinas...bought on impulse and glad that I did.

Whatever you buy...Enjoy the entire process!

murphysmum;)

The wool market in Talinn is not far in from the walls of the city where you enter. It runs down a side street and has a lot of stalls. I can't remember pricing but did buy mitts and hat for my grandaughter, Also bought nice linen in a store nearby. My daughter bought some crystal in Talinn too. I didn't go to Lithuania so I don't know their pricing on amber, but I found the least expensive to be in Gdansk, also maybe the biggest choice of amber. Helsinki has lots of neat stores with modern looking items and utensils, quite different.

Helsinki has lots of neat stores with modern looking items and utensils, quite different.

Sounds good but can you give us some specific information such as names and addresses of where you shopped and what, if anything, you did buy in the store. Also, how did prices compare to what you would spend locally?

Hello!

In St. Petersburg, ... Church on Spilt Blood

The quality of all of the items was equal or better to items being sold in major boutiques...exquisitely painted lacquer boxes, "Faberge" eggs, nesting dolls, jewelry of all kinds, good stocks of amber, knitted items, scarves and literally 100's of things that I'm not remembering. I think that we spent about 4 hours in that market and enjoyed talking to the vendors...who were not pushy at all...just very friendly. The prices were at least 1/3 to 1/2 the price of what we'd seen in stores.

Murphy's Mum -- If you were there in 2007 (because we are trying to gather up to the minute information), would you tell us more about your shopping experience. In particular, what did you buy there? How much you spent on the item (if you are willing). Did you see it anywhere else? Did you find anything that you thought was over-priced? A simple list would most helpful.

This market is a popular stop for many of us but unfotunately we won't have 4 hours to spend. In fact, some of us will be lucky to get half an hour there. The more information that you can give us, the better we can spend our time (and our money) there.

But, remember, we are looking for information about 2007 shopping experiences. Markets change from year to year; what was a good price last year may not be this year.

Thanks.

Hi!

Sure, I'd be happy to be more specific about items purchased in the outdoor market by the Church on Spilt Blood...You asked what I bought, how much I paid, and where else had I seen the items.

I was primarily interested in the finely painted lacquer boxes, enamel/gold "Faberge" eggs (medium sized) and quality nesting dolls. However, I believe that they had everything that I had seen in any shop in St. Petersburg.

As far as price comparisons, I'll compare prices to those in the "tourist store" frequented by guides in the square across from the Russian Museum. We had been taken there the first day we were there and were put off by the prices and hard sell...but I got an idea of what I wanted.

So....I bought five high quality lacquered boxes, identical in quality of painting to those seen in the shop, but all at least 1/2 off. The most expensive purchase was $450 for a fairly large one that would have been $900+ in the shop. Four others were slightly less, but still 1/2 the price....I believe the least expensive was $75. (I also bought some lower quality boxes for "$10-$25 "along the way; you can really tell the difference in the quality of painting but they're still lovely.

I should be clear that I did NOT pay the first price that I was quoted. I live in California, visit Mexico frequently and I'm used to bargaining. I usually offered 1/3 of what they were asking...and settled on about 1/2 of what they were asking...unless the original price seemed fair. The merchants always seemed quite satisfied with what I paid so they're not really expecting to be paid store prices (lower overhead) but will try to ask the higher price the first time.

I purchased good quality medium to large sized enamel and gold eggs for $50 to $100. They were twice that in the tourist store and the hotel shop...same quality/exact same product.

I also purchased several nesting doll sets...depending on quality they were $20-$50....twice that elsewhere.

They had some beautiful hand painted wooden carvings, but I was running out of arms to carry things.

I also purchased some nice jewelry...some kind of ornate twisted silver colored metal with hand painted porcelain...very pretty and very inexpensive....all $8-15 and at that price I didn't try to bargain.

I hope this more specific information is helpful to you.

Happy shopping...

murphysmum;)

I hope this more specific information is helpful to you.

Happy shopping...

murphysmum;)

It is perfect. This is exactly the information that I am trying to gather in this thread: specifics -- the kind of information that we cannot get in the guidebooks--and from people who have shopped this year.

Church on Spilled Blood market is one of our planned stops and our only chance for real shopping. Now I know not to waste my time elsewhere and how to maximize the short amount of time that I will have.

Thank you so much for the information and for the helpful hints on bargaining.

Last questions: Did you bargain in dollars or rubles? Did you pay in dollars or rubles? And if you paid in rubles, would they have accepted dollars?

Hello again...

I'm glad that you thought the info was helpful! In answer to your question, we bargained/shopped with dollars. At times prices were quoted in rubles; a simple "dollars, please?" was clearly understood. However, most of the dealers we purchased from spoke fairly fluent English and we had some quite interesting conversations.

In my previous post, I mentioned the high prices at the "tourist shop" across from the Russian Museum...any guide knows where it is because they get commissions on whatever is sold. I think it's worth asking a guide to make a SHORT stop there and to spend 10 minutes looking at the merchandise. It's expensive, but prices are marked and it's the "gold standard" for quality. It will help to know the differences in quality when you get to the market....as the quality of painting on boxes, dolls, carving, etc. is quite different.

Having talked so much about quality, I can also tell you that you can find a lot of much less expensive, fun, beautifully painted but more primitive, items to purchase in the market....if you want some nice souveniers for very reasonable prices.

I think this idea of sharing shopping ideas is terrific and I like the specifics you've asked for. I travel a lot and I'm going to ask similar questions for places I'm not familiar with.

There are certain places where I purchase very little; however, St. Petersburg is one of my favorite shopping cities in the world so I purchase much more when I'm there.

This may be off-track, but I would NEVER miss the opportunity to go INSIDE the Church on Spilt Blood while in the market area. The outside is amazing; the inside is beyond belief.

I hope that you enjoy this beautiful city as much as I do.

murphysmum

Hello!

In St. Petersburg, I found a TERRIFIC street market (right behind and across the street from the beautiful Church on Spilt Blood (has several names...guide will know).

We were staying in a 5 star hotel and had already visited several of the palace gift shops and a tourist trap near the Russian Museum so I was fairly aware of "fair" vs. inflated prices by the time we found the market.

If you love ballet, I also found that the gift shop of the Mariinsky had some lovely items with a ballet theme and the ballet theater in the Hermitage had some ornaments/ballerinas...bought on impulse and glad that I did.

Whatever you buy...Enjoy the entire process!

murphysmum;)

How do you pay for things in this market? Do they accept Rubles? Can you get Rubbles or Dollars from ATMs near the market. I don't suppose they take credit cards?

Hello...

Yes, of course they accept rubles....It's a Russian market. It's just easier not to exchange money when dollars are so easily welcomed and accepted.

I'm sorry...I do not know the location of an ATM near the market. I'm sure someone can answer that. I'm not sure about use of credit cards; we didn't try and I didn't see anyone using them. It's MUCH harder to bargain when you're planning on paying with a credit card anywhere.

If you have time limitations at the market, I would simply go with the amount of cash you're planning on spending.

murphysmum;)

Hello...

Yes, of course they accept rubles....It's a Russian market. It's just easier not to exchange money when dollars are so easily welcomed and accepted.

I'm sorry...I do not know the location of an ATM near the market. I'm sure someone can answer that. I'm not sure about use of credit cards; we didn't try and I didn't see anyone using them. It's MUCH harder to bargain when you're planning on paying with a credit card anywhere.

If you have time limitations at the market, I would simply go with the amount of cash you're planning on spending.

murphysmum;)

Thanks for the info. murphysmum. I am not sure about you but we are reluctant to travel with the amount of cash necessary to do any meaningful shopping. We are used to either using credit cards or tapping the ATM machines. Apparently in the realm of the former communist world, cash is still king and ATM machines seem to be quite prevalent. ATM machines usually only dole out local currency and as long as this is acceptable to local merchants of all ilk, there should be no impediment to serious shopping.

Thanks again.

Archived