Share your 2007 shopping experiences here

Hi, sorry that I can't be more specific about Helsinki, I called my daughter and she doesn't remember any names of stores either. I know that we were on the Star Princess and the ship had a shuttle to town, and the drop off point was at a large department store. I think it is the major department store there. The utensil type store was on the main street leading up to the department store from the waterfront. There was a market on the waterfront, and it was very good. They had lots of stalls with Finnish handicrafts plus fur hats and knitted items. They also had a lot of silver jewellery, some of it handmade. I can't remember the pricing on the silver, but i bought some so it must have been an OK price. If I sound too vague it is because I was there two years ago. Now I write down notes of places of interest to remind myself, but I didn't do that back then.Sorry I can't be of more help.pj

I would also like to know this, as well as the price for a scarf or knitted ski cap.

We were there in early May, the wall where the sweaters are is really neat, most of the prices are the same we walked the whole way then went back to the first vendor and bought a really nice knitted hat for $20. I thought the prices were very good for the quality.

Vicki

Hi, sorry that I can't be more specific about Helsinki, I called my daughter and she doesn't remember any names of stores either. I know that we were on the Star Princess and the ship had a shuttle to town, and the drop off point was at a large department store. I think it is the major department store there. The utensil type store was on the main street leading up to the department store from the waterfront. There was a market on the waterfront, and it was very good. They had lots of stalls with Finnish handicrafts plus fur hats and knitted items. They also had a lot of silver jewellery, some of it handmade. I can't remember the pricing on the silver, but i bought some so it must have been an OK price. If I sound too vague it is because I was there two years ago. Now I write down notes of places of interest to remind myself, but I didn't do that back then.Sorry I can't be of more help.pj

Stockman Department Store is the name of it. Biggest and best one in town. They have internet access downstairs in the Deli. Free for 15 minutes with purchase. Hubby had a 2 eruo cup of coffee. They gave us a sign in number for the computer. They had 4, so we didn't have to wait very long. They go off when your 15 minutes is up.

The market at the waterfront was very nice also.

Vicki

Vick

Stockman Department Store is the name of it. Biggest and best one in town.

The market at the waterfront was very nice also.

What should we be looking for in Stockman's? Are there any items that we should be buying in Stockman's rather than in a market?

The market at the waterfront: where is it located? Is it near one of the cruise terminals? What kind of things did you see in the market and did you buy anything there? Will vendors accept dollars or only euros?

I bought a hand knit sweater ...at the market...it was one of a kind not the mass produced type...the woman was knitting them as the grandaughter was selling them...I paid 30$....felt guilty that it was so reasonable...it is the warmest sweater...the oversize type that can be worn with a belt...lovely..just lovely....

hope to see that woman again when I go back in august...

I know that when we tour a tour in Helsinki that took us to the Rock Church, they also stopped in a main square ( perhaps someone else will know where I am talking about by name) There was another large church there and most of the bus tours seemed to stop at this square. Anyhow, the guide pointed the way down the side street to the waterfront market. We spent a short while there, then returned later at the end of our tour for more time. It was a really nice market, lots of local produce as well as carved wood items, and as I said previously, lots of silver jewellery- very well made and reasonable. I really wish I wasn't so vague, but I think there is only one market and it seems to attract tourists so I am sure someone on these boards will know more about it , and probably the excursion desk on the ship will know how to give you directions.We walked back from the market to Stockton's where we caught the shuttle bus back to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you just back from your Baltic Sea cruise???

I'm still looking to hear from those just returning from the 2007 cruises about where you shopped and what you bought. What is hot this year and what is not? What is your best find, your favorite souvenir and where did you find it. What about amber, nesting dolls, lacquer boxes, sweater and textiles? What did you find and where did you find it.

Thanks.

Well i am hoping to get some Alvo Aaltar glassware in Stockmanns

Some unusual foodstuffs is my aim from the market - but I will check out Stockmann foodhall (does it have one). One of my colleagues (who is an expert shopper) said she and her sisters in law spent all afternoon there, highspot of Helsinki.

We were on the June 30th sailing of RCI's JOS. Haven't really had time to process everything but we did a lot of shopping and would be glad to answer questions.

In the market in Helsinki we purchased the wood trivets that smell amazing (they are a trademark of Finland...I think made of juniper wood?), as well as a little viking with reindeer hair. The market has pretty good prices on handmade things. Stockmann's was just a large department store to me..think Harrods in London or Pei de Wei (sp?) in Berlin or even Macy's in NY.

Stockmann's was just a large department store to me..think Harrods in London or Pei de Wei (sp?) in Berlin or even Macy's in NY.

I happened to talk to my colleague about Stockmann's today. Apparently it was pouring down with rain the day they were there (2 years ago) and so Stockmann's was the highlight of her day.

Another colleague whose Mother was in Helsinki today on the Jewel (RCI is marketed heavily in Gibraltar :) ) said there were some lovely markets there.

We were in Helsinki in May, 2007 and walked to the Stockmann Dept. store to purchase food items for gifts that's made in Finland.

About 3 years ago, we flew on Finn Air. I remembered the various Fazer brand of chocolate candies they served us. I saw the Fazer brand at the Stockman Dept. store, Deli - floor. The clerk told me that the Fazer brand is the most popular Finnish brand of candy.

Finn Air also had us stay at a hotel at the marina. At their buffet breakfast, one of the items they had was the Kantolan Kaurakeksi oatmeal cookies made in Finland. I emailed the hotel as to where I can purchase the cookies. I was told at the Stockmann Dept. Store. While there, I purchased these cookies since we enjoyed it from the previous trip and for gifts. These are also on the Deli floor. It was 1.85 euro for 300 g.

• 2 weeks later...

July, 2007 cruisers --

Let's hear about your shopping experiences. What did you find and where did you find it? Tell us what this year's hot items are!

Where did you find amber? crystal? Who had the best prices on souvenirs in Russia? Any places we should avoid?

Things change from year to year. Tell us what is going on THIS SUMMER.

Looking forward to you replies. Thanks.

We just returned from the Baltic Cruise. I bought a few stacking dolls in St Petersburg, mostly the inexpensive to bring for gifts (both large and small). Purchased a nice set which depicted various scenes and was signed (5 dolls). We were on a private tour with Den Rus and stopped at a shop which served candy and volka. Also puchased several "doll" magnets and a few small laquer boxes at the open-flea market across from the Church of Spilled Blood. Found many good buys here and made my purchases quickly. Our tour guide was very watchful as she indicated pick pockets were abundant in this area. Also, found good buys at the folk loric show theatre we went to in the evening. This was through the Ship's tour and there were good buys on laquer boxes, scarfs and small trinkets during intermission. Also, the Ship had a Russian Bazzar and had several reasonably priced stacking dolls and miscellaneous items.

I purchased amber in Gdansk and Tallin. Also, found a "supermarket" type store at the end of the street in Gdansk. This was where the locals shopped. They had many linens, doilies, scarves etc for $3 each and up. The embroidered bread basket cloths were nice. Purchased water colors of the local area here too.

Shopped at the open air flea market in Helsinki. Found many hand carved wooden pieces (moose, bear, old men). Also, found the wooden trivets here. Also purchased a water color painted by a local artist of the Helsinki harbor.

Purchased trolls in Sweden and Norway (for good luck). Norway is very expensive. Hope this helps.

Daughter found that some of the clothes shops in Copenhagen were really cool. She has been in H and M in most countries in Europe now, and thought that Copenhagen was the best.

I found good pastries in Denmark ...hmm I expected that.

The quality of russian dolls varied considerably. The cheap ones were cheap, make gifts for kids rather than souvenirs.

We bought some lovely eggs in the Hermitage. They were much better than in the ship bazaar which had mainly tourist junk.

I did my best shopping in Finland. The market by the harbour was great. I bought my father some sheepskin insoles for his boots for only 10 euro. There were also great hats and winter gloves.

In Stockmanns I bought some glass Alvar Aalto - and an ice cube trayin the crazy shape design he made. I hope my sister loved it, because I rather wish I had not given it to her - or had bought one for me too :)

I did not find anything in Tallinn to tempt me. Maybe I was not looking in the right place.

I did my best shopping in Finland. The market by the harbour was great. I bought my father some sheepskin insoles for his boots for only 10 euro. There were also great hats and winter gloves.

'Mum -- Thank you for all the tips! I've taken notes.

Unfortunately, we are in Helsinki on Sunday and the market is only partially open. I'm kind of disappointed about that, but Stockman's will be open and we will stop in their a bit just to check it out--and read e-mail.

Archived