Please do NOT take food off the ship...

Cotton

Well, I'm going to freely admit that I made and packed a PB sandwich for my 6 yr. old to take off the ship in CZM, because that was the only thing I could count on her

eating except fresh fruit which I would NOT trust in MX. We took the ziplock and crusts back to the ship, so I really don't think we endangered the ecosystem. It's an important point that it's against the law, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd take the risk.

For me, missing a meal is a good thing, so I take only a drink off the ship. I can save money by not eating in port rather than by packing a picnic. If you don't have a special medical need, a little hunger is good for you now and then. It reminds us how too much of the world's population feels on a daily basis.

Let's face it... some "laws" are overkill... intended to protect people and things from the ignorant masses - though granted, it is not for us to decide which laws "apply" to us.

Then again... we are humans, complete with faults and foibles...:o

Tom

Have a hearty breakfast before taking off for the day, Chances are you wont be starving, we eat so much on the cruise, we are seldom actually so hungary that we cant wait for a chance to get something or wait til we return to the ship. Who wants to cart around a warm sandwich all day anyway? I do understand those that have medical problems and need to have a snack, again, pre-packaged approved snacks could be taken I would think. Just MHO!

If a roast beef sandwich harbors enough bacteria or whatever to be dangerous to an island's ecosystem, I'm pretty sure I don't want to be eating it myself.

Your system may be able to handle the bacteria commonly found in some foods but if an ecosystem is exposed to the bacteria it may have harmful effects.

Many foods are by nature loaded on made using bacteria. Yogurt and cheese are prime examples. As some have said they are weary of eating local cuisine or drinking the water. Same difference, your system is not used to it and teirs is not used to ours.

Cotton has a very good point and I would recommend that the hosts make this thread a sticky somewhere.

Cotton, you are so right about that. I just returned from my wonderful cruise and we went to a couple of local places and enjoyed them very much. I love eating the local food when I travel. Afterall, the whole point is to sample the local culture. :D We ate at a lovely cafe called Cafe Bohemio in Old San Juan and another great place called Gladys Cafe in St. Thomas. I highly recommend both places.

Well, I'm going to freely admit that I made and packed a PB sandwich for my 6 yr. old to take off the ship in CZM, because that was the only thing I could count on her

eating except fresh fruit which I would NOT trust in MX. We took the ziplock and crusts back to the ship, so I really don't think we endangered the ecosystem. It's an important point that it's against the law, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd take the risk.

For me, missing a meal is a good thing, so I take only a drink off the ship. I can save money by not eating in port rather than by packing a picnic. If you don't have a special medical need, a little hunger is good for you now and then. It reminds us how too much of the world's population feels on a daily basis.

So you'd break the law again? :rolleyes:

Thanks Cotton!

Ok, just to clarify, I knew you were not allowed to take fruit or meat/cheeses of the ship. This makes sense on for several reasons, 1) it is the law and so not much room for discussion on that one, 2) who wants to tote a nasty warm meat sandwich, especially during the summer heat, talk about germs and bacteria 3) I live in CA and the fruit fly destroyed a great many crops. So in summary leave your fruit, meat, cheese on board.

However, is it also against the law to take pre-packaged snacks w/ you? For example, granola bars crackers, trail mix. I at times get low blood sugar if I don't eat (headaches, shakey, clammy) so I always have a snack available, especially if I am somewhere new and I don't know my way around. My DD seems to be taking after me and she wants a snack at times. So is bringing a few snacks against the law? If so it looks like the granola bars going into the bra.:eek: :D :p

I appreciate your reading this, and I hope it helps some who weren't aware of the problem understand the seriousness of the situation.

Why is it the same who condemed another poster in a thread a few weeks back who wanted to have towel animals eliminated due to the extra dumping into our seas was stoned to death.And a thread about a few snacks taken on shore is being exalted?

I truley detect a clique going on or am I wrong?

Why is it the same who condemed another poster in a thread a few weeks back who wanted to have towel animals eliminated due to the extra dumping into our seas was stoned to death.And a thread about a few snacks taken on shore is being exalted?

I truley detect a clique going on or am I wrong?

Nah, I plan on taking my pre-packaged snacks just as I always do, I never carry warm meat/cheese w/ me so that is not a problem. However, keep the towel animals and buy some carbon credits from good ol Al if your worried.:D

Thanks, everyone, for the education. When you really think about it, folks, there is no need to take any food off the ship. Just fill your belly before you leave! Most guided excursions include a stop for a snack, and all the ports of call have food stands/ drinks just waiting to serve you.;)

I was one of those who talked about bringing a sandwich off the ship. I truly did not know you couldn't until I came here. However, this weekend I went to an Ethiopian restaurant. My nose was running and tears were streaming. If I can eat that food, Mexico is going to be a breeze. I'm even pretty sure I could drink the water and be just fine LOL! (I won't, but I bet I could)

I always cut mine up when I get them, but I don't usually drink cokes so I don't get them.

Now this was funny.

I remember years ago I was caught throwing one of those 6 pack rings away. And then this over the top lady came out of no where yelling at me, telling me how a bird could get caught in one of them, blah, blah, blah. And to break each of the 6 rings. I thought she was a bit strange, and Oh so angry.

Imagine my laugh when I walked into the room where my DD was watching Happy Feet, and I see this fat penguin with this odd thing around his neck.

I wondered if it was one of the many I threw away over the years before I switched to 12 packs.

I need an education here. I take an apple or a banana off the ship, eat it during an excursion onshore, and discard the peel in a trash can. Or even if some of the fruit dropped on the ground....what harm is done? I am not being sarcastic, I really am ignorant of this issue. The thought of taking food off the ship never ocurred to me. But I don't understand what the issue is. Thanks.:confused: :)

The part that's missing on this thread is that these islands usually don't have a NATURAL defense to something you may think is harmless here in the States or where you live.

But you bring that same thing onto an island that has no defense, it can reek havok.

All because someone wanted to feed Jr. a P &B sandwich that had a bole weevil in the bread. Or a fruit fly on a juicy peach.

BTW, it's amazing how some people think they can actually see bacteria.

I usually pack some small pre-packaged snacks like cheese crackers, fruit snacks and peanut butter crackers with me to take along on shore excursions just in case. Only things that heat won't affect. I also take a few individually packaged hand wipes to clean hands thoroughly before eating anything after being on shore excursions as there are usually no places to wash your hands.

We took one that was 7 hours long with a lunch provided that was a pack of dry crackers, a banana and a small muffin with a coke. I was glad to have had my peanut butter crackers and fruit snacks in my fanny pack as DD and I don't eat bananas and the muffin didn't taste that good. Especially if you have kids it is good to have a small something with you to give them.

I think that everyone and everything leaving the ship when it docks should go though a UV sterilizer...

Also - there should be a BUBBLE around the ship so that the FRUIT FLIES on the bananas (on lido deck) don't fly off the ship and onto land...:D

Just having some fun with this ... ;)

Tom

I think that everyone and everything leaving the ship when it docks should go though a UV sterilizer...

Also - there should be a BUBBLE around the ship so that the FRUIT FLIES on the bananas (on lido deck) don't fly off the ship and onto land...:D

Just having some fun with this ... ;)

Tom

Instigator! :p

But I still don't understand how my packing and eating a ham sandwich could possibly cause "massive" damage to the island's ecosystem. Am I missing something?

I believe that is Cotton's point. Unless you have a PHD in microbiology (which 99% of us don't) then we don't understand what the harm can be.

That is why there are rules and regulations. Even in the very poorest ports that don't have the government structure to have all the regs they need to protect themselves, it is up to us (visitors to their ports) to do everything we can to respect their future.

I don't understand how a car engine runs either...but it doesn't stop me from driving...as long as I obey the rules of the road.

So let's not ignore laws just because we don't understand them!

Good post Cotton!

I think you have to use common sense here. I don't bring snacks because the one thing about cruising is you rarely feel hungry! However I don't think those that bring a pre-packaged snack with them are gonna cause a collapse of the eco-system. The fruit served on deck does not come with "trained" fruit flies. I am sure if they are present when we pull into port they too are going to tour the place and maybe not even return before we leave port! I also think that besides the eco-system argument the other reason to keep food from being brought in is so that passengers BUY food in port. Buying food in ports also comes with its own set of risks. I don't want my cruise ruined by getting sick from something I ate off the ship. Just think, if each pax spends 2 or 3 dollars on snacks in port that is a huge boom to their economy. I personally just eat before my excursion and again after returning to the ship. Carrying food around all day alone would deter me from bringing my lunch with me. I just don't get the whole fruit fly argument when the ship serves fruit right by the pool out in the open.

Just as an added point. There are many states in the U.S.A. that don't let you even bring fruits, veggies, or plants from one U.S. state to another.

Many states? If that is the case, how do I get oranges and bananas here in Michigan?

Ever look to see where your fruits and vegetables come from at the supermarket? Most of them come from out of the country. Only difference is that they pass US inspection.

If the food has been inspected, tagged and the country allows it, I see no problems with bringing the food off of the ship.

All because someone wanted to feed Jr. a P &B sandwich that had a bole weevil in the bread.

By the way, boll weevils eat cotton.

I don't know what was in that peanut butter sandwich, but it was not a boll weevil.

(and where is that dude that said I lied about working in agricultural inspection?)

You know the hiking term, "pack it in, pack it out"?

Just be glad that you don't have to pack certain nasty substances back out with you...if you know what I mean.

Archived