Please do NOT take food off the ship...

Cotton

cruise cruise cruise, If you add up the 2-3 dollars that would be the minimum amount spent getting snacks in port and multiply that times the number of cruise ship passengers in one year, you are talking about an amount worth fighting for. Millions of dollars. If I were a polititian there I would do exactly what they are doing, helping the people I was elected to help. I just think worrying about a PB&J and a banana discarded in a trash can not even closely to compares to the damage done by cruiseships to the water. That being said, I will continue to cruise. But these rules are like talking out of both sides of their mouth. "Come to the islands, pollute the water, damage the natural reefs, we can turn a blind eye to that but under no circumstance should you bring your own lunch!" Come on! Wouldn't that make a nice tourism commercial?

cruise cruise cruise, If you add up the 2-3 dollars that would be the minimum amount spent getting snacks in port and multiply that times the number of cruise ship passengers in one year, you are talking about an amount worth fighting for. Millions of dollars. If I were a polititian there I would do exactly what they are doing, helping the people I was elected to help. I just think worrying about a PB&J and a banana discarded in a trash can not even closely to compares to the damage done by cruiseships to the water. That being said, I will continue to cruise. But these rules are like talking out of both sides of their mouth. "Come to the islands, pollute the water, damage the natural reefs, we can turn a blind eye to that but under no circumstance should you bring your own lunch!" Come on! Wouldn't that make a nice tourism commercial?

You really have no clue, do you? :cool:

Where is your research?

OMG...these are entirely different matter we're discussing, and You have NO clue who you're talking to because I'm as freaking green as they come. I think they coined the term tree hugger for me so get off your soap box.

You are 100% right that I have done no research. To be honest I didn't think it was needed on my end because to me this is just plain common sense. SO, I emailed this question to National Invasive Species Information Center and they'll get back to me in 2 business days. Hopefully they'll explain why they made these 'silly' laws that you think are ridiculous purely because of the fact that we're polluting the world with cruise ship travel so why bother protecting the eco system of the countries we visit...it's just a waste? :rolleyes:

Oh and if you had bothered to look, there are a lot of agencies dedicated to this issue.

You really have no clue, do you? :cool:

You're right. ``Clueless in Mayrland.'' Could have been a great movie title but I guess that's over kill.

Not sure how or why this thread went from taking fruits, veggies and P&B sandwiches off a ship in port to tree hugging and environmental issues regarding waste discharge and thingies that can hang from a ship's hull when in port. But then some people can turn anything in to their own political statement when given a chance.:D

Dianne

The thing that irks me is that all the fruit, food and flowers are brought onto the ship (Mobile, New Orleans, Galveston) in the United States. Yet if you try to bring off the fruit basket in your cabin or the flowers you ordered onboard, you are not allowed to take them off the ship.

Dave

The thing that irks me is that all the fruit, food and flowers are brought onto the ship (Mobile, New Orleans, Galveston) in the United States. Yet if you try to bring off the fruit basket in your cabin or the flowers you ordered onboard, you are not allowed to take them off the ship.

Dave

Yeah, but fruit has no provenance. Pesky US Agriculture, they are just in it for the money you know. :rolleyes:

The only bull on this thread is in the blue box above.

Nothing you mentioned has anything to do with this thread.

Especially towel animals. :confused: :rolleyes:

Then tell me what it is about?

I thought it was about trying not to damage ecosystems.

I thought it was about trying to prevent diseases from destroying an island.

Lets see, I mentioned detergents in our seas, ballast water which carries a biological nightmare and Hull micro-organisms that attach themselves to the hulls of ships and are transported all around the globe.

What part of my reply is not part of trying to prevent damage to an eco system?:rolleyes:

Then tell me what it is about?

I thought it was about trying not to damage ecosystems.

I thought it was about trying to prevent diseases from destroying an island.

Lets see, I mentioned detergents in our seas, ballast water which carries a biological nightmare and Hull micro-organisms that attach themselves to the hulls of ships and are transported all around the globe.

What part of my reply is not part of trying to prevent damage to an eco system?:rolleyes:

None of those things can be carried off the ship by passengers.

Which is what this thread was suppose to be discussing.

As I said to Tia6368, if you want to take about those things, start a new thread.

None of those things can be carried off the ship by passengers.

Which is what this thread was suppose to be discussing.

As I said to Tia6368, if you want to take about those things, start a new thread.

Agree 100% and for all who posted who took this thread to another avenue, start your own thread about other issues.

I don't want this thread to go poof! because it went off topic. There's way too much valuable info on this thread from experienced cruisers and others who have done their research.

Dianne

Just as an added point. There are many states in the U.S.A. that don't let you even bring fruits, veggies, or plants from one U.S. state to another.

So true, we could not mail oranges from our tree in our backyard to my family in Tennesee. Many times the areas are under quarrantine. The county actually comes out and check the trees in your yard every year, and if it is found to have certain disease or pest, they can take it down.

So true' date=' we could not mail oranges from our tree in our backyard to my family in Tennesee. Many times the areas are under quarrantine. The county actually comes out and check the trees in your yard every year, and if it is found to have certain disease or pest, they can take it down.[/quote']

Understand where you are coming from. We have a very large ash tree in the front of our yard. Been there for at least 30 years and has been a great source of shade for our house over the eyars as well as a fine specimen for neighbors to talk about the beauty.

Never had to worry about the tree until last year when we discovered that individuals as well as companies bringng fire wood into the state have brought the dreaded Ash borrer worm to Ohio.

Now our tree will have to be inspected by state inspectors to ensure the little worm hasn't infected our tree. If it has, there's no remedy and the tree will have to be cut down, nothing we can do to save it and we did nothing to add to its demise.

But someone or some people who decided to ignore the state's rules about transporting ash tree fire wood into the state brought the little worm into Ohio.

I realize this isn't life threatening but it does anger those of us here in the state who have tried to protect our green space from other's ignorance or lack of respect.

Dianne

I noticed when ordering trees from the NADF, that certain ones were not allowed to be shipped to certain states. I asked why. They explained that in states like Washington where they have huge money invested in their apple tree crops, they can't afford to have people buying trees from outside the state that may have insects or diseases that will wipe out their crops.

These trees are basically seedlings when shipped...and just one could cause serious damage so it is illegal. To look at this little 'stick' you would hardly consider it so dangerous, but there you go. Like someone said, just because you can't see the danger, it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Whether or not cruising in itself is bad for the environment is not the point to this thread as started by Cotton (as has been mentioned several times) and I do agree that if you want to protest it you should start another thread....but consider the fact that this is a cruise board so you won't be met with any compassion.

But someone or some people who decided to ignore the state's rules about transporting ash tree fire wood into the state brought the little worm into Ohio.

Dianne

Dianne, we need to find this person and kick his freakin ass !!!

Cotton, what happened? was it a nightmare or did you see something in the news to spark this thread?

Fred

So who wants to start the new thread about environment and cruise ships?

Who wants to go through the flaming and who really knows what they are talking about?

Whoever steps up the bat will have several posters here ready to answer or question.

Let's take this thread back where it started...

-- and as I said before, thanks to those who have tried to educate others regarding the rules and laws regarding taking food items off cruise ships while in port.

Dianne

Myself I follow all the rules all the time it makes me feel so good with myself knowing that I am a law abiding citizen of the united states and all countries I visit.

I have even contacted them all in advance to learn there laws and statutes so I dont have any infractions there too.

Now if you believe this then your one of the most gullable people in the world.

Dianne, we need to find this person and kick his freakin ass !!!

Cotton, what happened? was it a nightmare or did you see something in the news to spark this thread?

Fred

Kicking ass is too late for us in Ohio now. It's here, it's real and thousands of beautiful old ash trees will be cut down thanks to ignorance of others or through the greedy fingers of those trying to make a buck no matter what the cost to others.

I don't consider myself a ``tree hugger.'' I can burn as many paper pages on my computer printer as the next one. But I do despise those who think laws and rules don't include them.

Dianne

Picture this if you will.

The Carnival Miracle is loaded with provisions in NYC. Those provisions are inspected by the the USDA and found to be fine BY US STANDARDS FOR THE US.

Off we sail, every ones is eating the provisions that were inspected by the USDA and all is well.

We land in Tortola, ahhh a beautiful island, lovely plants, tasty fruits and veggies grown there.

I decide for whatever reason to ignore the LAW that states I am not allowed to bring, flowers, fruits, vegetables, and meat to the island.

I exit the ship with a flower (from my basket in my stateroom) in my hair and a banana in my purse. I have also slipped a ham sandwich into my tote bag for my child who could never eat a local lunch.

Here I am on the beach, my flower has wilted so I throw it away, my banana is mushy so I throw it away, and my child only eats three bites of his ham sandwich cos it got sand on it and he throws it away.

I get back on the ship and sail off in happiness.

Three hours, days, weeks, months, however long it takes later, the microscopic organisms and or microscopic pest larvae in the flower and fruit skin, and ham sandwich have grown to the size where they can spread and infiltrate the local vegetation. The Island has no natural defense to these organisms because they are foreign to them just as the Japanese beetle was to the US a few years ago. Eventually the organisms grow to an extent that they overwhelm the local vegetation and poof no more beautiful Tortola.

The Native American and South American population was decimated by the settlers and conquistadors. First by disease. A simple virus or minor flu like bug that Europeans had developed antibodies against almost destroyed these peoples.

I know that the indigenous population thing is not the same but maybe you can draw a parallel.

IT IS AGAINST LOCAL LAW TO BRING CERTAIN ITEMS OFF THE CRUISE SHIP.

Kicking ass is too late for us in Ohio now. It's here, it's real and thousands of beautiful old ash trees will be cut down thanks to ignorance of others or through the greedy fingers of those trying to make a buck no matter what the cost to others.

I don't consider myself a ``tree hugger.'' I can burn as many paper pages on my computer printer as the next one. But I do despise those who think laws and rules don't include them.

Dianne

You talking about the Emerald Ash borer that we have here in Michigan? If they aren't cut down, the Emerald ash borer destroys the tree anyway. The borers jumped from tree to tree from Detroit and made their way here to Lansing. Bringing firewood just speeds the process.

Hey I got an idea, while we are at it, lets talk about the killer bees that spread from Brazil in the 50's up into the US.

Oh and should we be upset at the early sailors that planted the lime trees in Florida? They weren't native, and if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have key lime pie.

Dianne

Dianne, I don't consider myself a tree hugger also but I do love trees :) This type of info we do not get down here in San Diego, we hear more about the Mexican Fruit Flys and West Nile virus.

Im sure there is a pest control spray that can kill those worms like Diazinon, maybe if you spray the area with it, it can help keep the tree alive longer. Thats if you can find Diazinon as the EPA banned it back in 04.

Fred

Picture this if you will.

The Carnival Miracle is loaded with provisions in NYC. Those provisions are inspected by the the USDA and found to be fine BY US STANDARDS FOR THE US.

Off we sail, every ones is eating the provisions that were inspected by the USDA and all is well.

We land in Tortola, ahhh a beautiful island, lovely plants, tasty fruits and veggies grown there.

I decide for whatever reason to ignore the LAW that states I am not allowed to bring, flowers, fruits, vegetables, and meat to the island.

I exit the ship with a flower (from my basket in my stateroom) in my hair and a banana in my purse. I have also slipped a ham sandwich into my tote bag for my child who could never eat a local lunch.

Here I am on the beach, my flower has wilted so I throw it away, my banana is mushy so I throw it away, and my child only eats three bites of his ham sandwich cos it got sand on it and he throws it away.

I get back on the ship and sail off in happiness.

Three hours, days, weeks, months, however long it takes later, the microscopic organisms and or microscopic pest larvae in the flower and fruit skin, and ham sandwich have grown to the size where they can spread and infiltrate the local vegetation. The Island has no natural defense to these organisms because they are foreign to them just as the Japanese beetle was to the US a few years ago. Eventually the organisms grow to an extent that they overwhelm the local vegetation and poof no more beautiful Tortola.

The Native American and South American population was decimated by the settlers and conquistadors. First by disease. A simple virus or minor flu like bug that Europeans had developed antibodies against almost destroyed these peoples.

I know that the indigenous population thing is not the same but maybe you can draw a parallel.

IT IS AGAINST LOCAL LAW TO BRING CERTAIN ITEMS OFF THE CRUISE SHIP.

Why not just ban ham sandwiches? Problem solved.

Dianne, I don't consider myself a tree hugger also but I do love trees :) This type of info we do not get down here in San Diego, we hear more about the Mexican Fruit Flys and West Nile virus.

Im sure there is a pest control spray that can kill those worms like Diazinon, maybe if you spray the area with it, it can help keep the tree alive longer. Thats if you can find Diazinon as the EPA banned it back in 04.

Fred

Unfortunately, the ash borrer can not be controled by chemical spraying and the only control Dept. of Ag has found so far is to eliminate by burning the infected wood.

To my knowledge the worm was discovered in northern states about 3 to 4 years ago. There has been a ban on transporting wood infected with the worm for 2 to 3 years in hopes of controling it.

Ban was ignored and now the pest has made its way down as far as Central Ohio.

Dianne

Archived