Please do NOT take food off the ship...

Cotton

Your not missing a thing. In fact, a large part of the food consumed on the islands is imported anyway.

But, its costs money to hire customs people who could tell the difference between harmless and detrimental food items. So its cheaper just to say "no food". And it also helps the economy when you must buy everything on the island.

What surprises me is the number of people said (based on info from this thread only) "Oh, I didn't know that my ham sandwich will end all life on the islands! I'll never do that again."

It's not just cheaper to say ``no'' to most food items taken off a ship in port. It's also easier.

Can you imagine reading a sign in each port that states, ``No apples, grapes, figs, peaches, oranges, fresh beans, tomatoes or any other fresh fruit or vegetable item bearing seeds and no fresh bananas or any similar fruit or vegetable are allowed past this point. Ham, P&B, chicken, sausage or other sandwiches may be allowed if not made with bread containing potential weevils or manufactured in a process that may not destroy potential weevils or other insects through manufacturing process. Items allowed are: ........''

Talk about red tape, this is one of those items. It just makes more sense to say ``no fresh food items allowed beyond this point.''

As cruisers, we already know how expensive port charges are at the ports of call. Think what they would be if we end up having a custom's agent inspect every beach bag, purse or other item we take off and on a ship because some don't understand that no un-prepackaged food means none.

Frankly, one, a hundred or a thousand ham sandwiches or any other type of sandwiches will probably not hurt the eco system of any port of call unless the bread on board is infected with weevils or other tiny critters.

Do I call the Custom police at a port when I see people taking sandwiches or fruit off a ship at a port? No. Do I do it? No. I still feel as a visitor to those countries I respect their laws just as I expect visitors from other countries to respect our laws as well.

Dianne

Halo, That just saddens me. I had sooo hoped you would find me endearing. I just knew with your winning charm we'd be friends.

saddens me too but I'll get over it.

whaddayaknow? Over it already!

. I still feel as a visitor to those countries I respect their laws just as I expect visitors from other countries to respect our laws as well.

Dianne

The key word is respect.

As cruisers, we already know how expensive port charges are at the ports of call. Think what they would be if we end up having a custom's agent inspect every beach bag, purse or other item we take off and on a ship because some don't understand that no un-prepackaged food means none.

You gotta INSPECT what you EXPECT!

Bottom line... fruits CAN AND HAVE caused MAJOR trouble in THIS country. Not sure why anything else needs to be said... I think some people just like to be ugly :rolleyes: It is much easier to ban everything than to pick and choose...

Hundreds and hundreds of stories out there, these are merely a few. This is a REAL issue. We certainly don't want people bringing fruit or veggies into OUR country, we certainly have no right to do it to other countries.

http://www.49abcnews.com/news/2006/may/26/peach_fruit_fly_plaguing_farmers_california/

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/science/20030219-9999_mz1c19bugman.html

http://www.freshplaza.com/2005/12apr/1_cl_fines.htm

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/13/WIG7KF71V71.DTL

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/1773181.stm

Bottom line... fruits CAN AND HAVE caused MAJOR trouble in THIS country. Not sure why anything else needs to be said... I think some people just like to be ugly :rolleyes: It is much easier to ban everything than to pick and choose...

Hundreds and hundreds of stories out there, these are merely a few. This is a REAL issue. We certainly don't want people bringing fruit or veggies into OUR country, we certainly have no right to do it to other countries.

GC, it's useless. Sometimes it's like banging your head againts the wall.

Because the tree worm issue was originally used as an example of what the rest of us were really talking about.

The off loading of ballast water containing micro organisms as a result of a ship pulling into a port seems to have more inline with the original posting than tree worms in the middle of the US.

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I've never been asked to carry ballast water off the ship. Go figure.

Wow, lots of sarcasm and mean spirited posts today on the boards. Is it a full moon that is making many of us a little cranky today? Or maybe the heat and humidity wilting our good spirits? Maybe we should start happy hour early today.

Hey, I resemble that remark. Well, I did this morning anyway. ;)

Where are the stay on topic people for the above post?

Just a guess, but I'd imagine that people are just getting sick and tired of having you try and change the discussion.

Just guessing again, but I'd say most people that have posted really don't think this is the thread to be discussing ballast water, micro organisms on the hull and the like, and thus have decided to ignore you.

Like I'm going to do now.

Not to highjack this thread again, but really can we get any farther off topic, but "lunch" was good. ;)

Mike, I'm happy you enjoyed your time with your DD. :)

now, I gotta go hug some trees :p

GC, it's useless. Sometimes it's like banging your head againts the wall.

LOL, I'm starting to figure that out...

but you know what, I was probably a not so happy, and had a "not so endearing" personality before I took my first cruise... so there is still a glimmer of hope for some ;):D

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I've never been asked to carry ballast water off the ship. Go figure.

Hey, I resemble that remark. Well, I did this morning anyway. ;)

Just a guess, but I'd imagine that people are just getting sick and tired of having you try and change the discussion.

Just guessing again, but I'd say most people that have posted really don't think this is the thread to be discussing ballast water, micro organisms on the hull and the like, and thus have decided to ignore you.

Like I'm going to do now.

cancelled.

I thought someone mentioned Happy Hour, anyone have any leftover smuggled alcohol?

I do wonder if there are any prohibited beverages that you are not permitted to take ashore.

Me thinks the hosts need to do an IP check. :(

I know this is off topic, but I just read in our paper this morning that the Sarasota police made a trek out into International waters and dumped a load of stuff that was no longer going to be kept. The paper stated they threw over 100 knives, brass knuckles and 150 guns into the water!!!!:eek: :eek: I just can't imagine!!!:confused:

Ok I am going to write because this is something I feel strongly about. People say what does it matter if I take off a banana or PB&J sandwich. Well what if everyone who got off the ship did that. I will take the bananna for instance. We went to Rotan Honderas and the main ag crop in honderas is the bananna now not in Rotan but they do have there own bananas not let say a fruit fly is on the banana that you brought from the ship and it gets into the land. If the country does not have the pesticides for that fruit fly then a whole crop could be destroyed and that would be their living and export, oh and we would not get the banana for us. It is not about money. I did not eat in port because I thought Why we have food on ship already paid for. Also the opposite applies here. Lets say you brought back an orange from the Island and it mixed with a florida orange here we would have a whole different crop and the orange juice market would suffer. So it is not about money it is about the well being of exports and imports. Mass production has to go though the same thing when exporting and importing food. They get inspected at the customs place. Ok that is all I have to say on the matter. Except that I had to throw out an orange that I had in Navada before going to California.

Picture this if you will.

The Carnival Miracle is loaded with provisions in NYC. Those provisions are inspected by the the USDA and found to be fine BY US STANDARDS FOR THE US.

Off we sail, every ones is eating the provisions that were inspected by the USDA and all is well.

We land in Tortola, ahhh a beautiful island, lovely plants, tasty fruits and veggies grown there.

I decide for whatever reason to ignore the LAW that states I am not allowed to bring, flowers, fruits, vegetables, and meat to the island.

I exit the ship with a flower (from my basket in my stateroom) in my hair and a banana in my purse. I have also slipped a ham sandwich into my tote bag for my child who could never eat a local lunch.

Here I am on the beach, my flower has wilted so I throw it away, my banana is mushy so I throw it away, and my child only eats three bites of his ham sandwich cos it got sand on it and he throws it away.

I get back on the ship and sail off in happiness.

Three hours, days, weeks, months, however long it takes later, the microscopic organisms and or microscopic pest larvae in the flower and fruit skin, and ham sandwich have grown to the size where they can spread and infiltrate the local vegetation. The Island has no natural defense to these organisms because they are foreign to them just as the Japanese beetle was to the US a few years ago. Eventually the organisms grow to an extent that they overwhelm the local vegetation and poof no more beautiful Tortola.

The Native American and South American population was decimated by the settlers and conquistadors. First by disease. A simple virus or minor flu like bug that Europeans had developed antibodies against almost destroyed these peoples.

I know that the indigenous population thing is not the same but maybe you can draw a parallel.

IT IS AGAINST LOCAL LAW TO BRING CERTAIN ITEMS OFF THE CRUISE SHIP.

A flawed example as Tortola is a BVI and there are NO restrictions on bringing food onto that island except for beef at the moment due to mad cow.

The problem with the generalzations in this thread is it will give people the idea that you can't take food off the ship in ANY port and that is not the case. Do what the cruiseline recommends, not what other here tell you.

Many islands have no restricitons...ST. Thomas is a USVI and has no restrictions.

Customs - Importation of Food

Yacht owners, charter guests, and visitors may bring food into the British Virgin Islands. For the time being, however, because of the worldwide threat of Hoof and Mouth and Mad Cow Disease, a law is in effect which bans the importation of any meat products unless an application is submitted to the Department of Agriculture for approval. Approved permits cost $25.00. For more information, please call the Department of Agriculture at 284- 495-2532.

Good quality, fresh foods are available in the British Virgin Islands from several grocery stores and provisioners on a year-round basis. BVI import duties charged on food products range between 5% and 15% of the invoice value.

Archived