Please do NOT take food off the ship...

Cotton

If the food has been inspected, tagged and the country allows it, I see no problems with bringing the food off of the ship.

:rolleyes: You see it that way but people that know what they're talking about DON'T...which is why there are laws regarding this.

By the way, boll weevils eat cotton.

I don't know what was in that peanut butter sandwich, but it was not a boll weevil.

(and where is that dude that said I lied about working in agricultural inspection?)

You know the hiking term, "pack it in, pack it out"?

Just be glad that you don't have to pack certain nasty substances back out with you...if you know what I mean.

OK wheat weevil then.

:rolleyes: You see it that way but people that know what they're talking about DON'T...which is why there are laws regarding this.

Did you read my statement? If the food has been inspected and tagged, and the country allows it, then I see no problem with taking food off the ship.

In Europe there were no problems with taking food off the ship. I saw several people on the shore excursions that had bananas, and muffins with them.

By the way, just because someone posts on a message board with a blanket statement of "Don't take food off the ship" doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.

If there are laws against it, then by all means, don't take food off the ship. If the port allows it, then take food off the ship.

On a side note, I'd like to know how and why Carnival got American soft drinks, and yogurt on the Freedom, when it has been in Europe the whole time. They load their food in Barcelona, and Civitavecchia, and yet the yogurt came from New York. American Dairy products being brought into the European union, kind of amazes me.

Just as an added point. There are many states in the U.S.A. that don't let you even bring fruits, veggies, or plants from one U.S. state to another.

I don't know about the laws in regard to this but I do know that right here where I live, a plant not indigenious to the area has started to grow in our marshes (I'm sure they know how it got here, I don't know that myself) but it is affecting the entire ecosystem in the marsh because this plant (which is beautiful by the way) grows very tall, which shades all the low growing plants from the sun, causing them to die off, which is in then causing fish and wildlife to die off because of a lack of food.

When I saw this stuff growing, I had no idea it was basicaly 'poison' to our environment, I just thought it was gorgeous. A lot of time and effort and tons of money are going into keeping this stuff under control so the marshes aren't fatally affected. So I am pretty sure that there must be some regulations as to certain vegetation not being allowed from one state to the next.

This is serious stuff here...people need to stop with the attitude that the cruise ships or cruise ports don't want you taking food off because they lose money. There is more to it and you should do the research on it before coming up with uninformed comments like that.

I think it's suppose to be rules and LOTS.

That is the reason we don't allow fruits and vegetables to be brought back into the US, we need that economy boost. :cool:

I edited my spelling errors, no that is not why we do it however it has a lot to do with the reasons why they do it. how do you think the cruiselines keep the fruit flies from exiting the lido deck and relocating to the islands? Like I said in a prev post, I don't personally remove food from the ship BUT I do think it is ok to use common logic here.:rolleyes:

I don't know about the laws in regard to this but I do know that right here where I live, a plant not indigenious to the area has started to grow in our marshes (I'm sure they know how it got here, I don't know that myself) but it is affecting the entire ecosystem in the marsh because this plant (which is beautiful by the way) grows very tall, which shades all the low growing plants from the sun, causing them to die off, which is in then causing fish and wildlife to die off because of a lack of food.

When I saw this stuff growing, I had no idea it was basicaly 'poison' to our environment, I just thought it was gorgeous. A lot of time and effort and tons of money are going into keeping this stuff under control so the marshes aren't fatally affected. So I am pretty sure that there must be some regulations as to certain vegetation not being allowed from one state to the next.

Sounds like Purple Loosestrife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_loosestrife

The part that's missing on this thread is that these islands usually don't have a NATURAL defense to something you may think is harmless here in the States or where you live.

But you bring that same thing onto an island that has no defense, it can reek havok.

All because someone wanted to feed Jr. a P &B sandwich that had a bole weevil in the bread. Or a fruit fly on a juicy peach.

BTW, it's amazing how some people think they can actually see bacteria.

Well said, MrPete, and a big thank thanks to you, Cotton, and all other posters who have tried to add true facts to this thread.

Bottom line, as I see it, is that the islands and countries we visit have laws and rules, rules and laws they have adopted for good reason. We, as cruise travelers, are visitors of their lands, and as such should respect and honor their laws and rules.

If we as cruise ship passengers decide to ignore their rules and laws, we could all find ourselves on a ship without a port of call in the future. I personally could not blame an island or country for refusing a cruise ship docking because passengers have continuously broken their laws.

And for any parent who feels they have to pack a peanut butter & jelly sandwich for their child to eat in port, I feel sorry for your child. That child has just left a ship where they had every child's dream of food from P&B sandwiches to ice cream, pizza and pasta. If that child can't last for 4 - 6 hours without another heavy dose of sugar and carbs, then that kid's going to have a heavy load to carry through life.

Dianne

Did you read my statement? If the food has been inspected and tagged, and the country allows it, then I see no problem with taking food off the ship.

Sorry, misunderstood your post...probably because the issue here isn't about the places that allow food off the ship, it's about the islands/countries that don't and the passengers that don't understand the reason for this so they ignore the laws.

There's no issue with taking food off in Europe if places in Europe allow it.

If in fact it was NOT about the money and all about the environment, they would put an end to cruise ships visiting their islands period. If they wanna "Go Green" as they say, then the pollution these ships put in the water can't be good and all these tourist trampling the reefs, if their were no tourists riding these taxis then imagine the decrease in fumes from cars, without tourists they could cut way back on items imported to the islands thus further decreasing pollution, there would be no tendering boats to pollute the water, BUT oh yes, they do like it green. Green $$$

If in fact it was NOT about the money and all about the environment, they would put an end to cruise ships visiting their islands period. If they wanna "Go Green" as they say, then the pollution these ships put in the water can't be good and all these tourist trampling the reefs, if their were no tourists riding these taxis then imagine the decrease in fumes from cars, without tourists they could cut way back on items imported to the islands thus further decreasing pollution, there would be no tendering boats to pollute the water, BUT oh yes, they do like it green. Green $$$

Like I said, before you come up with your version of the truth, you may want to do a little research on this subject.

But Halo, why don't they stop these ships from polluting their waters and save their environment?

Why are you trying to turn this thread into something that it's not? :confused:

The law in most countries is that food, be it fruit, vegetables or meat products, is not allowed to be brought in from outside. Period.

And we're not talking about large companies importing goods for consumer consumption. Those items have all their own laws and regulations.

These specific laws are in place to protect localized ecosystems and not the environment as a whole. That is an entirely different issue. If you want to discuss that, start another thread. :cool:

But Halo, why don't they stop these ships from polluting their waters and save their environment?

Tia, it's a matter of balance. These islands need tourism to survive.

I know that cruise ships cause pollution; I'm not denying that but just because this is so does not mean that these islands do not allow fruit off the ship because they want to make a buck.

These specific laws are in place to protect localized ecosystems and not the environment as a whole. That is an entirely different issue.

exactly

This was said because it was said that the food decision was based on the environment and not about money, my point was that if it were not about money there are ways these islands could preserve their environment as well as reduce the damage to some of their historical sites by simply saying no to cruise ships. That way they would not have to constant worry about cruise passengers smuggling in a PB&J or worrying about pesky passengers planting

nuissance plants in their gardens when they aren't looking. The environment is a very good politically correct target when the real goal is money. I love cruising as much as the next person but to say cruise ships are good for the environment is simply untrue.

This was said because it was said that the food decision was based on the environment and not about money, my point was that if it were not about money there are ways these islands could preserve their environment as well as reduce the damage to some of their historical sites by simply saying no to cruise ships. That way they would not have to constant worry about cruise passengers smuggling in a PB&J or worrying about pesky passengers planting

nuissance plants in their gardens when they aren't looking. The environment is a very good politically correct target when the real goal is money. I love cruising as much as the next person but to say cruise ships are good for the environment is simply untrue.

You are SO not getting it.

Local ECO SYSTEM.....let your fingers do the walking in some Google and look into this and see for yourself how this works.

PLEASE

No one said the environment, everyone, including yourself until this post, has been talking about ecosystems. And no one said anything that remotely resembled "cruise ships are good for the environment". :rolleyes:

The fact is that these laws are in place to try and help protect countries from having their vegetation destroyed by non-indigenous organisms.

If these laws were enacted to increase a country's economy, then no one would be allowed to bring anything off the ship, prepackaged or not.

Like I said, before you come up with your version of the truth, you may want to do a little research on this subject.

Where is your research?

Most of this thread is a load of bull with everyone kissing each others butt about how great it is and wanting it to be a sticky.

When it mentioned it was about money, which I also agree with,the postings all started to attack the poster. The statement that less people means less impact is 100% true,how can it not be?

The argument of a balance,is about money.They need the money.No one cares about it and like I stated in a prior posting, where is the outcry to do away with towel animals?Does the waste water from them being discharged into the ocean harm it? Its either yes or no.Go ahead and justify it.:rolleyes:

This is a classic case of trying to justify things in your own mind.As long as its OK with you,who cares about the environment.

The food we take off is not going to harm anything. A fruit tree or a slab of beef,yes.How many people buy wood carvings?Did you get them tested prior to bringing them onto the ship?

A bigger issue here which all the experts here seemed to have missed and or ignored is the ship itself is the worst thing on the environment.Besides the waste water and massive fuel burning so you all can have this vacation the biggest issue, even larger than the fuel,waste water,and infecting a whole country with a P&B sandwich is Ballast water and hull organisms.

Do they scrub the hull before every port? Do they sanitize the ballast tanks?

Heres a simple article as a little proof from a few years ago.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html/20041004T230000-0500_67114_OBS_BALLAST_WATER_FROM_CARGO_SHIPS_A_BIG_THREAT.asp

Are you all going to stop cruising now? We need this as a sticky now.:rolleyes:

These 2 issues are connected and hopefully we can agree to disagree. my comments were not made to stir things up. These rules do not even apply to me, I have no medical or personal need to carry my lunch around with me or any memebers of my party. As long as I can still buy bottled water all is good. The places that have these rules will not have any bearing on my having a good time and enjoying cruising.

Where is your research?

Most of this thread is a load of bull with everyone kissing each others butt about how great it is and wanting it to be a sticky.

When it mentioned it was about money, which I also agree with,the postings all started to attack the poster. The statement that less people means less impact is 100% true,how can it not be?

The argument of a balance,is about money.They need the money.No one cares about it and like I stated in a prior posting, where is the outcry to do away with towel animals?Does the waste water from them being discharged into the ocean harm it? Its either yes or no.Go ahead and justify it.:rolleyes:

This is a classic case of trying to justify things in your own mind.As long as its OK with you,who cares about the environment.

The food we take off is not going to harm anything. A fruit tree or a slab of beef,yes.How many people buy wood carvings?Did you get them tested prior to bringing them onto the ship?

A bigger issue here which all the experts here seemed to have missed and or ignored is the ship itself is the worst thing on the environment.Besides the waste water and massive fuel burning so you all can have this vacation the biggest issue, even larger than the fuel,waste water,and infecting a whole country with a P&B sandwich is Ballast water and hull organisms.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html/20041004T230000-0500_67114_OBS_BALLAST_WATER_FROM_CARGO_SHIPS_A_BIG_THREAT.asp

I guess we can tell the USDA to stop writing all those silly regulations then.

Time to tear down the agriculture inspection stations at San Juan and Hawian airports.

Agronomists apparently have no idea what they are talking about. :rolleyes:

Where is your research?

The only bull on this thread is in the blue box above.

Nothing you mentioned has anything to do with this thread.

Especially towel animals. :confused: :rolleyes:

Archived