New to Silversea!

eleang

Hello Silversea cruisers, Husband and I are new to Silversea, the cruise line was highly recommended by some of the passengers during a Seaborn cruise we took last year, we just booked a last minute cabin for a sail Copenhagen to Stockholm departing next week and have a few questions:

- Transfer from the airport to the ship, is it easy just to get a taxi to the Cruise terminal or better to have arrangement with Silversea ???

- We had assigned cabin 705, our TA says is a midship cabin, but I see it in the very front, has any one experienced lots of movement being this far front in the ship???

- Any shore excursions recommendations ???

I appreciate any comments. Thank you.

- Transfer from the airport to the ship, is it easy just to get a taxi to the Cruise terminal or better to have arrangement with Silversea ??? Taxi's are plentiful and will be able to find the ship easily. They will be cheaper than the ship's transfer. English is widely spoken. The ship docks a stone's throw from the Little Mermaid.

- We had assigned cabin 705, our TA says is a midship cabin, but I see it in the very front, has any one experienced lots of movement being this far front in the ship??? 705 is hardly a midship location, but the seas you are traveling should not be very rough...I wouldn't be concerned.

- Any shore excursions recommendations ??? Be sure to walk around the Old Town in Tallinn. It's beautiful and was much more than we expected. Not sure you'll need the guided excursion for that, but the Walking Tour is probably worthwhile for the commentary.

In Russia, unless you have a visa you will have to stick to the ship's tours. Don't miss Peterhof and the Imperial Residences tours. The Romanov's knew how to live! We also enjoyed the Hermitage where we had a tour and concert after it closed to the public. Didn't see that offered.

Peter&Kathy, Thank you so much for your reply, it was a lot of help, husband and I were just cking and trying to decide on the shore excursions, your post came very helpful. We were defenitely decided on the Musical Evening Event at the Hermitage (is listed this time ) but overwelmed trying to pick a tour that include some of the great architecture and history. We are following your advice and going with the Peterhof and the Imperial Residence tours. We are counting the days to this wonderful trip.

At St. Petersburg, are passengers without the special visa restricted to the ship if they're not on a Silverseas tour? Is it possible to get off and just walk around town on your own? It seems like a rather extended visit (almost 3 days).

On the Baltic cruise we're booked on, the Helsinki visit is only 5 hours. Any recommendations for what not to miss there?

Unless you have a Russian visa or have tours booked with a company like Red October or Denrus (highly recommended) you will not be able to leave the ship without doing a ship's excursion. If you plan to walk around on your own, you should get a visa. I have been to St. Peterburg twice. The first time (on Silver Cloud in 1994) I got a visa and did do some meandering on my own, but basically stuck to the ship's excursions. The second time I had two days of tours booked through Red October and did not need the visa (saving the cost.) They were terrific and I was able to design a tour according to my needs and wants. Pricewise it comes out to less, imo, than if you want to see all the same things with the ship.

I agree. Booking things yourself, at your pace, and not having to do shopping stops and lines for potty breaks, is actually the same $$ amt. or frequently less than the ship excursions. Independent travelers do need visas. I was just in touch with Red October and they get it for you and include it in the cost, as I understood him.

When booking the tours through Silversea, do most passengers wait till they board, or do they book in advance? Are the tours usually (or ever) sold out? Are the tours exclusive Silversea tours, or are they inclusive of passengers from other ships that happen to be in port? Does anyone know what sort of cancellation fees apply (it's kind of nebulous on the SS site)?

Does the boat have a full set of activities going while in port in St. Petersburg (for those of us who wish to loll away an afternoon)?

Thanks--

Q: When booking the tours through Silversea, do most passengers wait till they board, or do they book in advance?

A: Don't have any data, but on board booking seems to be the majority for most tours.

Q: Are the tours usually (or ever) sold out?

A: Silver Collection Events and tours which state "limited number of participants" do sell out. To be safe, book them on-line starting 60 days before sailing date. Print out your reservation and bring with you to be safe!

Q: Are the tours exclusive Silversea tours, or are they inclusive of passengers from other ships that happen to be in port?

A: The shore excursions are "exclusive" SS tours, i.e you have your own bus and tour guide for SS passengers only. Now, at the "attraction", like the Hermitage, you will encounter dozens of other tour groups... The Silver Collection Tours (like see the Tower of London at night when closed for the public) are SS only events and you usually don't run into other tour groups.

Q: Does anyone know what sort of cancellation fees apply (it's kind of nebulous on the SS site)?

A: Not 100% sure, but as far I recall, you do not get a refund for shore excursions if you cancel AFTER the on-board booking period for the excursion has closed.

Q: Does the boat have a full set of activities going while in port in St. Petersburg (for those of us who wish to loll away an afternoon)?

A: They usually keep some activities going, but they will be fewer than say on a Day at Sea, when they lay on extra events to keep everyone busy.

We were on the South China Sea cruise in April on the Cloud and I was so glad we had booked over the internet with Silversea a trip in Brunei. We were taken to the Sultan's Golf Club and the Sultan's Polo Club which were spectacular to say the least. The trip was full, so people wanting to book whilst on board were unable to come. This trip was an experience of a lifetime, unforgettable to say the least. I am sure we saw more 24 carat gold than in any world vault. Had I not booked this trip over the internet we would have missed out. I leave it to your own judgement -if it is a trip you really want to do and see, there may be no other way than to book it through Silversea. This trip was not available any other way - believe me - I spent days trying to do this trip by our own means but no tour company had the exclusive rights. The passengers who couldn't come were extremely sorry they hadn't jumped in early. I suppose my mesage is a BE WARNED. Don't let it happen to you.

I would recommend that you really research the ports a lot and know for sure where you want to go FIT or with an outside operator and where you want SS tours. If you want SS, sign up online at the 60 days. They do fill up sometimes. Sometimes those that book on the ship are waitlisted or don't get in, or they add a tour and then it doesn't fill up, so some of those people don't get to go. Of course, you lose some flexibility if you meet people that are doing something else or if you are really tired and want to stay in or if you are just enjoying the ship. That is why I am saying to figure out which ones you really want to do.

On the cancellation penalty question raised by Castlewood, generally tours can be cancelled without penalty until late afternoon the day prior to the tour. There are exceptions for certain tours (generally involving air flights), but the time will be posted in the daily newsletter. We once cancelled late due to injury, and were pleasantly suprised to get a refund...but I wouldn't count on this.

Hello Silversea cruisers, Husband and I are new to Silversea, the cruise line was highly recommended by some of the passengers during a Seaborn cruise we took last year, we just booked a last minute cabin for a sail Copenhagen to Stockholm departing next week and have a few questions:

- Transfer from the airport to the ship, is it easy just to get a taxi to the Cruise terminal or better to have arrangement with Silversea ???

- We had assigned cabin 705, our TA says is a midship cabin, but I see it in the very front, has any one experienced lots of movement being this far front in the ship???

- Any shore excursions recommendations ???

I appreciate any comments. Thank you.

Copenhagen should not be difficult to get a taxi, but I always prefer to go online and book a car & driver to pick us up, less chance for error. Otherwise, if you feel uncomfortable or the schedule is tight, take the transfer from SS if they have it

As far as #705, it is really close to the bow of the ship. If the seas are calm, no problem. If the seas are rough, expect lots of movement.

Sorry, I don't know about the shore excursions.

Have a great trip!!!

Archived