Solstice news... (3 threads merged)

Senga

Hi Andy thanks for the post. Well the clock is ticking I bet we will be down to the wire on this one.

joeinsb

I agree with you these deck plans have to be known & are somewhere. It would not surprise me that X reps don't have them yet.

Tick Tock!

Ya know what, Andy (my wife has dubbed you Captain Andy after the captain in the musical "Showboat" :) ), the way X and some other lines hand out information is abysmal. I read in the local paper that the City of Downey, CA already has a model of its Rose Parade float for 2008! So they already know the theme of the parade, and how the float will look.

Cruise lines know the minute the contract is signed, how their ship will look. When you read on CC, about how the cabins are built, etc, don't tell me that the bosses don't have deck plans! And for an X customer representative to say that their team is "working on it" is ridiculous. It sounds like something out of Dilbert (maybe X's office is is Elbonia).

Suffice to say, I am annoyed!

Hi Joe !

Thanks for the "Captain Andy" comment. It surely made me laugh. A word of advice... I wouldnt try to associate me with a Broadway Musical.... because if you ever heard me sing, you would run... and fast :). Please say thanks to your Wife for me.

Regarding your comments about deckplans.... there is NO question that Celebrity has them down pat by now, but due to competitive reasons, it seems that ALL Cruise lines want to wait until the very last minute to release information about their Newbuilds.... especially when it is the first of its Class. This is the reason why Celebrity is so tight-lipped about Solstice.

While I have totally respected Celebrity's decision in the past, the time has come to tell us more about Solstice. I hope that Celebrity will give us a dedicated website to Solstice, similar to what they did with Century when she was revitalized. At the very least, we would like to see some deck plans, so we can plan our future Solstice Cruises.

How about it Celebrity ? We have all waited long enough. Please tell us more about Solstice !

It seems Celebrity 'missed the boat' on this one too:

"The company will reveal later this year the first compelling feature that will make the 122,000 ton ship, which launches in October 2008, truly unique in the industry."

If they were refering to their new AquaClass category of veranda accommodations, they've already been beaten by Carnival! I've been booked for a month already in a Spa suite on Carnival's (also still under construction) Splendor for December 13, 2008.......... the day BEFORE the Solstice maiden voyage! But, better yet, the Splendor has a Thalasotherapy Pool in the Spa for Spa Stateroom guests. I didn't see a T-Pool listed for Solstice!?!:confused:

No doubt I'll make a booking on Solstice, but I sure wish Celebrity could get their act together a little quicker. :(

Andy -- do you happen to remember what the URL was for the Century dedicated site? We could try a variation on that to see if anything is live yet, and just not announce.

I'm so obsessive, I've been taking the URL for the individual ship pages, and trying variations. The pages all have the same URL with just a different 2 letter code at the end, such as SM for Summit. I've tried SS, SO, SL, ST, SI, SC, and SE...and nothing comes up.

Celebrity is going to get a VERY nasty email from my boss soon, if they don't post some deck plans. I'm spending too much time, checking for them and trying to hunt them down. :D

Nancy,

I don't want to hijack this thread, so will try to answer short and sweet. Besides, I'm sure these same benefits will apply to Solstice AquaClass staterooms, only under different names. Well, maybe except for the T-Pool. We can only hope for a T-Pool on Solstice.

"Guests in these staterooms (Spa Staterooms and Spa Suites) will have private access to the spa and be provided with exclusive spa amenities. Guests will also have unlimited access to the Thalassotherapy pool, the Thermal suites, and more."

4 of the 40 Spa Staterooms are suites, hence are Spa Suites. I'm guessing Solstice will also have 'AquaClass Suites'. If not, Carnival will have outdone them on that too.

searching for itineraries to book feature is down on the X website. Wonder if this means they are updating the site for Solstice.

Hi Darren, I had the same problem, no itineraries are coming up

at all:rolleyes:

I would never book a new ship within 6 months of its launch. Especially given Celebrity's history.

When I spoke with a Celebrity TA she said, aside from Journey, Celebrity has only ever had 1 cancelled cruise on a newly built. Please share your knowledge. Thanks.

When I spoke with a Celebrity TA she said, aside from Journey, Celebrity has only ever had 1 cancelled cruise on a newly built. Please share your knowledge. Thanks.

Millennium was late. Her inaugural was cancelled 6 days prior to sailing.

Let's see the dismal introduction of Azamara for one.

The Mille problems as Babette mentioned.

And honestly, just watching many lines and its issues with innaugurals, we would rather wait for six months for the ship to get its act together before taking a cruise. Even Disney had to delay its innaugural.

Of course, we cruise on Infinity after a chance in hotel director and CD and the whole ship seemed to be out of sync. You just never know.

It seems Celebrity 'missed the boat' on this one too:

"The company will reveal later this year the first compelling feature that will make the 122,000 ton ship, which launches in October 2008, truly unique in the industry."

If they were refering to their new AquaClass category of veranda accommodations, they've already been beaten by Carnival! I've been booked for a month already in a Spa suite on Carnival's (also still under construction) Splendor for December 13, 2008.......... the day BEFORE the Solstice maiden voyage! But, better yet, the Splendor has a Thalasotherapy Pool in the Spa for Spa Stateroom guests. I didn't see a T-Pool listed for Solstice!?!:confused:

No doubt I'll make a booking on Solstice, but I sure wish Celebrity could get their act together a little quicker. :(

Wasnt Costa the first line to offer ''Samsara Suites'' with direct access to the spa???

Looks like some mighty fine rooms! Now, I just have to pick a date! :)

Wasnt Costa the first line to offer ''Samsara Suites'' with direct access to the spa???
So, if you discount that Costa is part of Carnival, that would make Celebrity the 3rd line to do this? ;)

Hmmmm, maybe the Blu restaurant is the 'truly unique' feature?Scratch-Head.gif

Cheked it out this morning, looks like a great ship!!! As always RCI does not dissapoint with their ship design - the best in the industry in my opinion. The only thing I don't like is all the hype which doesn't add up when the information is finally revealed.

One example of this over-hyping is the claim that the rooms would be more spacious than current ones. The comments and news clips with these claims over time made it seem like there would be a noticable difference in stateroom size compared to current ones.

Unless they are keeping the true size of these cabins a secret on this website X has their Solstice Concierge Class (CC) stateroom comming in at 192 Sq. Ft with a 53 Sq. Ft. varandah. If you compare that with the CC Class on the more spacious (based on the PSR rating system) Millennium Class its only 1 more Square foot!!! Millenium has their CC CLass at 191 Sq. Ft. Yes, the varandahs on Solstice are bigger but thats not A/C living space.

Just look at a standard floor tile and thats about 1-Square Foot, not a big deal if you ask me. This doesn't detract from the fact its a nice ship based on what they have published so far, but I just wish they wouldn't make such a big deal when its not warranted. The inside cabins are bigger for the record, but I'm comparing apples with apples. IE: What you get for the money on the more expensive categories.

Two other things I wish X would have done on Solstice:

1) Kept the panoramic ocean view glass elevators.

2)Made the ship look a little more distinct for the "X" brand. Other than the Glass "X" on the bump and the 2 stacks which are very subtle, it looks like a revised version of the "Brilliance Class".

Still, A beautiful ship so far and can't wait to book it!

Archived