September - Sled Dog/musher Camp?

GreenValleyDogWalker

Hello -

We are booked on the Celebrity Summit repositioning cruise in Sept - ever since we booked this months ago - I've been thinking about the various shore excursions. The SLED DOG/MUSHER CAMP (ship shore excursion) out of Juneau really sounds wonderful - anyone taken it ? Any comments ? - Is it better to book privately ? - Do you really get to ride on the sled - pet the dogs ?

(The same one seems to be offered out of Skagway - but we want to take the White Pass train ride there)

THANKS for any comments, suggestions :)

Hello, we just returned from our Alaska cruisetour Thursday. We booked the Alaska Helicopter over 4 glaciers, landing on the glacier then doing the dog sledding. It was the BEST experiences I have ever had. I know the cost is there, but we figured we'll probably only go to Alaska and do this once, and we earned it.

The dog sledding was my favorite. You actually stand on the back sled and when he raises his hand to stop, you need to press on the break along with the driver, this helps he driver stop the sled. A passenger sits in the seat of your sled, while the driver is actually driving the front sled. The helicopter ride was about 35 minutes to the glacier and the actual dog sledding lasted about 45 - 50 minutes. You stop along the patch and exchange passengers (from driving to sitting etc). Very must loved it and would definately do it again in a heart beat.

Any questions, please just ask.

Hello, we just returned from our Alaska cruisetour Thursday. We booked the Alaska Helicopter over 4 glaciers, landing on the glacier then doing the dog sledding. It was the BEST experiences I have ever had. I know the cost is there, but we figured we'll probably only go to Alaska and do this once, and we earned it.

The dog sledding was my favorite. You actually stand on the back sled and when he raises his hand to stop, you need to press on the break along with the driver, this helps he driver stop the sled. A passenger sits in the seat of your sled, while the driver is actually driving the front sled. The helicopter ride was about 35 minutes to the glacier and the actual dog sledding lasted about 45 - 50 minutes. You stop along the patch and exchange passengers (from driving to sitting etc). Very must loved it and would definately do it again in a heart beat.

WHO DID YOU BOOK THE EXCURSION THROUGH ? - WE'VE BEEN ON HELICOPTER FLIGHTS IN ALASKA BEFORE - WAS REALLY LOOKING FOR JUST THE SLED DOG EXPERIENCE - BUT THIS SOUNDS REALLY NEAT !!

Be advised, that the last several years, this tour has closed in August. A couple years ago, really early- mid August.

Last year they were open later, but depending on your date- if after the first week, I would not count on this tour running. The dog camps will likely be closed.

Be advised, that the last several years, this tour has closed in August. A couple years ago, really early- mid August.

Last year they were open later, but depending on your date- if after the first week, I would not count on this tour running. The dog camps will likely be closed.

Why does the cruiselines have this excursion scheduled in Aug/Sept when its going to close down sometime in August? We have this excursion scheduled for our Sept cruise. Wondering if its going to be canceled or not.

Why does the cruiselines have this excursion scheduled in Aug/Sept when its going to close down sometime in August? We have this excursion scheduled for our Sept cruise. Wondering if its going to be canceled or not.

I did not say it was going to close in August. Only am stating it has in the past. Last year it ran into the first few days of Sept. For at least 3 years prior, all those years closed in August.

These camps close down when conditions dictate. If it's warm, they loose their pack with the continued daily use, which is required for sleds.

They aren't going to move the camp and go for as long as they can.

It's extremely unlikely that it will run - when the snow melts off the glacier they quit running because t's too hard on both the dogs and people to run on the bare ice. The trip is listed because they never know what that date is.

Murray

It's extremely unlikely that it will run - when the snow melts off the glacier they quit running because t's too hard on both the dogs and people to run on the bare ice. The trip is listed because they never know what that date is.

Murray

Thanks. Looks like I will look for another excursion or look for a back up just incase.

• 1 month later...

We booked our helicopter, dog sledding, glacier landing directly thru RCCL. I believe the helicopter company was ERA. Very nice folks and very knowledgeable.

I know when we landed on the glacier, the musher guide explained that we were standing on 18 ft of snow (then the ice is under that). I'm not sure how long they run the dog sledding, but I thought they indicated that they are there for about 3-4 months out of the year.

I would suggest you keep the excursion, but have a back up plan. We booked our excursion in Juneau - the earliest in the morning and the weather and temperature were both excellent. We were there June 4th, 2007.

Good luck in your plans and hope you get to experience it - it was SUPER.

Archived