IS it REAL!??

sgorich

The beach at the base of the falls is where they filmed one of the James Bond Movies...Can't remember the name of it, but it was the one where Ursla Andress came out of the water in the white bikini that was pretty revealing...

Yea, I know, its a guy thing....

The falls are real and its fun to do...I would advise wearing some sorta water shoe though...A rocky bottom and it might be a bit much for tender feet...You also have a guide that goes with you to makes sure you climb safely...And yes, he is waiting for a tip at the top....:cool:

I am pretty sure it is real but believe me it is much more then MODERATE activity. the day we were there it was said a woman had broke her arm the day before. It is VERY slippery.

the falls ARE beautiful but I wished I had just came to look at them and not climb them.

BEWARE though, every jamaicain you meet has their hands out for money. Even though the cruiseline charged us $75 for the tour it was at least another $30 a person in tips-not the usual $5 or so you tip on tours.

I am pretty sure it is real but believe me it is much more then MODERATE activity. the day we were there it was said a woman had broke her arm the day before. It is VERY slippery.

the falls ARE beautiful but I wished I had just came to look at them and not climb them.

BEWARE though, every jamaicain you meet has their hands out for money. Even though the cruiseline charged us $75 for the tour it was at least another $30 a person in tips-not the usual $5 or so you tip on tours.

I agree about just looking and not climbing. The water was very cold since it is all in the shade. Many people slipped on the rocks. No one was hurt seriously but hitting your knee against a rock still hurts. Not that I am in great physical shape but it was tough. I was actually sweating half way through. I think there is a spot were you can get out and quit if you want. I wouldn't do it again but I have heard other people say they loved it.

I climbed the falls a number of years ago. I did not find it too difficult. As stated, it is slippery, so wear good shoes. As I recall there is a walking path along the side of the falls for those who don't want to climb the falls.

I've gone to the Falls many years ago, but on a land vacation, not a cruise. I found the area absolutely breathtaking! Yep, the rocks can be very slippery, but with caution you can do it.

One of my DDs, then a teen, twisted her ankle pretty badly, and we had to make a hospital visit; kinda put a damper on vacation. Just be careful!:rolleyes:

The beach at the base of the falls is where they filmed one of the James Bond Movies...Can't remember the name of it, but it was the one where Ursla Andress came out of the water in the white bikini that was pretty revealing...

Yea, I know, its a guy thing....

The falls are real and its fun to do...I would advise wearing some sorta water shoe though...A rocky bottom and it might be a bit much for tender feet...You also have a guide that goes with you to makes sure you climb safely...And yes, he is waiting for a tip at the top....:cool:

That was the first Bond movie, Dr. No. The factory that is still there in Jamaica was also featured in that movie. I know it has nothing to do with this string but for some reason I keep remembering Ursala.

My daughter and I climbed the falls in '89. I absolutely loved it. I had bought rubber water shoes to wear, and you wear a bathing suit, but my daughter had on thongs, so she couldn't do it. She walked the trail alongside the falls. They stop for you to have pictures under the falls, in the falls, etc. I didn't tip anybody except the guide of our tour. I believe the James Bond movie was Dr. No and they are natural falls. There was a market set up at the top of the falls in the parking lot when we went, but that was a number of years ago, so not sure what it's like there now. We thoroughly enjoyed our outing there. My daughter was 18 so she had her hair braided with beads at the market area.

But Jamaica is a very poor country, so as momofmeg stated, they all do have their hands out. Even if they don't do anything for you, they are there asking for handouts. Some even approached us for dates, marriage, they wanted to come back to the States with us. I wouldn't venture there again without my husband. We went on one excursion to a plantation, where there were small children from the small town school that did a couple of local songs, they had little pieces of paper with their names and addresses on it, handing them to the tourists and asking for shoes, clothing, etc to be sent to them. Our tour guide told us, if we could afford to vacation there, we were thought of as wealthy. Their annual income is $2000 per year. I'm sure there are some that make more than that, but that was their average annual income. So be aware and stay in the group.

I climbed the falls in March with my parents and boyfriend. It was so much fun and I would definately do it again and recommend it. It was slippery, and we quickly veered away from our group chain and just did it ourselves...

We did a rum runner boat to the falls. I was worried about it when I saw it because my wife had just rehabbed out of ACL surgery but she did just fine. It's a little intimidating but when I saw the age of some doing it, I knew I could. A gotta have is sandals, water shoes or the like with straps on the back. I rented a pair on the rum runner and they were a piece of garbage but still worked. I would also advise something that may protect your toes a bit because I kept stubbing my toes on the rocks. Our excursion then boated around the bay, serving rum and dancing - it was a kick.

There are few things I would do again but this is one I would in a heartbeat. Good thing when we were there, we took little cash with us as the rum runner was paid for and we were in our swim suits. We did tip our guide up the falls but ignored the panhandlers, trinkets and the like.

Go for it.

We did the climb up the falls 18 months ago, myself DH and DS (14) and we all really enjoyed every minute. It is cold at the bottom but as you climb, which is quite a long way, you soon warm up. Your guide will carry your camera's for you and, stops to take pictures of you, with your camera at various points. They also film your ascent so you can purchase it on DVD or video and they send it back to the ship for you, it is a really good keepsake. It is one trip I would do again, no question.

On a more serious note, an elderly lady on our climb, only managed to go up 2 or 3 stones and had to give up, it is quite strenuous, especially as you are fighting against the current, which is why they tell you to hold hands in a chain, so you can help each other up.

Also as some have said the market on the way out is,.... a bit of a gauntlet. one trader got hold of my son (I know he was 14 but he was small and only looked about 10)and I ended up parting with $25 for a useless piece of wood just to get away. I know it's a very poor country but it is very intimidating.

Yes, it is a 'real' waterfall, but some of the stones are bags of cement that have hardened to help give us tourists places to step up. These do look like rocks, though. It was a neat experience on our first cruise. If you go to Jamaica, it is on the to-do list!

There have been so many reports of crime in Jamaica, we don't get off the ship in either Montego Bay or Ocho Rios. We don't like either of those ports. Nothing we want to do there badly enough to be exposed to their high crime.

There have been so many reports of crime in Jamaica, we don't get off the ship in either Montego Bay or Ocho Rios. We don't like either of those ports. Nothing we want to do there badly enough to be exposed to their high crime.

Well, in that case, what do you do in Miami or Galveston or New Orleans or any port here in the States? How do you stay away from the high crime in all of those port areas?

Out of curiousity, have you actually, ever been off the ship in Ocho Rios? If you don't get off the ship, how do you know if you don't like those ports? Or, are you over-reacting to things you have read? I've been to Ocho Rios twice in the last 3 years and will certainly get off the ship when I ever go back again.

Has anyone been to Dunn's River Falls ?

I want to climb the waterfall, but only if it is real and not a man-made FAKE waterfall!!

Please help!

Thanks

Oh yeah, the waterfall is quite real. And very pretty. For those people brave enough to get off their ship, I highly recommend this trip. Quite worthwhile.

Brad

Well, in that case, what do you do in Miami or Galveston or New Orleans or any port here in the States? How do you stay away from the high crime in all of those port areas?

Out of curiousity, have you actually, ever been off the ship in Ocho Rios? If you don't get off the ship, how do you know if you don't like those ports? Or, are you over-reacting to things you have read? I've been to Ocho Rios twice in the last 3 years and will certainly get off the ship when I ever go back again.

I did get off ship and I hated it, yes the falls were pretty but nothing compared to Niagara or even Talloah falls in GA when they are running. though much smaller then the falls in Jamaica, the Emerald Pool in Dominica were very pretty and although that island is also very poor no agresseive salespeople trying to force you to buy things you do not want-if I ever go back to Jamaica I WILL stay on ship.

Thanks everyone for tweaking my memory about "aqua socks" I have a pair that I pack in due course for every cruise. But we are taking my parents on a cruise to the western caribbean and they have never stopped in Jamaica so we are doing Dunn's River falls. We will need to take my parents out before the cruise to buy them aqua socks.

Is it really necessary to hold hands going up the falls? It seems safer to have your hands free for balance. If I am holding someones hand and they slip, won't they pull me with them? I would just feel better going up with my hands free.

I love Dunn's River Falls. I've climbed it several times and have always enjoyed it.

You do need to hold hands, but it's not a burden. Really.

Most of the waterfall has always been as you see it, but there are some added rocks and some netting to prevent erosion, which is what people think are fake rocks and make the waterfall fake. Geology says that a landmass will try to be equal with those around it, which is a bad definition of Isostatic. In other words, it's gonna erode till there are no more waterfalls there. Think the Grand Canyon. That's why they have to prevent erosion.

All the foot traffic, over the years, has speeded up the process and something had to be done to curb it. Hence, a few imported rocks and some netting.

Dunns Falls does exist. Climbing the Falls is not something that I would recommend. Many have sprained or broken appendages in their attempts to reach the top. Nice way to end a perfect vacation. Take pictures and leave it at that...

Rod

Dunns Falls does exist. Climbing the Falls is not something that I would recommend. Many have sprained or broken appendages in their attempts to reach the top. Nice way to end a perfect vacation. Take pictures and leave it at that...

Rod

Can you name your source on that? I've climbed the falls many time and always wear shoes. I've not reas anything that suggets it's dangerous.

My sister and I climbed in December and had a great time. I was glad we were in a chain because the guy in front of me pulled me up a couple of times along the way. The family behind my sister kept letting go of their kids to take pictures and our guide yelled at them. It was very busy that day because all the schools were out (Boxing Day) and there were tons of local kids climbing.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it really necessary to hold hands going up the falls? It seems safer to have your hands free for balance. If I am holding someones hand and they slip, won't they pull me with them? I would just feel better going up with my hands free.

I agree. I felt like holding hands was a bad idea since you have nothing to break your fall and if the person you are holding hands with falls you're going down with them.

Archived