Just Returned From Silver Whisper-FABULOUS!!

dafne

My husband and I were on Silver Wind ten years ago and had the trip of our lifetime.

I never thought it could be repeated again. But it was!

Another trip of a lifetime on Silversea!

We were on a 9 day cruise – June 6-15 to Greek Islands, Sicily and Italy.

Of course the ports were wonderful, but I am not going to review the ports since everyone chooses an itinerary based on their own preferences. My objective is to discuss our experience on Silversea.

From the moment we boarded the ship- The service was incredible!! Every staff person always greeted us and had a big smile on their faces.

Woke up very early every morning (we couldn’t wait to start our day on Silver Whisper) - and ordered cappuccino delivered to our rooms. Ten minutes later it would arrive and placed on our balcony with fine linens and china. 24 hour room service- you can order anything to eat or drink. Ordered drinks at 2:00 a.m. and same efficient and quick service.

Then we would go to La Terrazza for buffet breakfast when it opened. Huge wonderful assortment of breakfast items, juices, fresh omelet station, fresh fruit station with staff cutting the fruit. etc. – Glasses for juices were chilled.

The attention to this kind of detail was evident in everything they did on the ship.

Then you could have pancakes, waffles etc., prepared for you.

I am not a breakfast eater- so ordered Lamb Chops, with wild mushrooms and ice tea every morning. (Asked for fresh pineapple slice in my ice tea).

By the second day, the waiters knew me and would say – “Are you ready for your Lamb Chops and your Ice tea with fresh pineapple”.

10-15 minutes later the Lamb Chops arrived.

The point I am trying to get across is whatever special request you may want- the answer is always “YES”!

The waiters would carry your plates to your table from the buffet. All the waiters had wonderful attitudes and were there to please you in every way. You are made to feel very special!

We had a veranda suite which included a balcony. We loved having the balcony and used it all the time. The room is lovely, with plenty of closet space and more drawers than you can fill up- and we had 4 pieces of luggage. Personalized stationary with your name on it. Fresh flowers in your cabin. The bathrooms were fantastic! - double sinks, shower and tub with Bulgari amenities- soap, shampoo, conditioner etc.

Very comfortable bed with fine linens and duvet cover.

The stewardess was fantastic. Always smiling and calling us by our names. Good morning Mr. and Mrs.…... The stewardess’s- work in teams with 2 people taking care of your suite. The cabins are cleaned twice a day and the cleaning was immaculate.

They even lined up my makeup in a straight row!

We kept saying to ourselves, this service is UNBELIEVABLE!!!

We had to keep asking ourselves how anything can be so perfect like this.

We ate dinner every night in the main dining room and also ate once in the Italian Restaurant.

The food was excellent. Many choices and if you don’t see what you like on the menu- they will bring you what you request. One day I saw an appetizer from lunch that looked interesting and requested it for dinner. Nothing was ever a problem!

The dining room wait staff was so professional, great attitudes and impeccable service.

We were greeted by the waiter and wine steward the minute you sat down.

Every night it was like eating in a fine restaurant. Presentation of the food on the plates was always beautifully done. The beef dishes were extraordinary- beef melted in our mouths!

You will be pampered beyond belief!!

Most nights we would stay in the dining room for 3 hours talking to our fellow guests we were dining with at our table.

We enjoyed the formal nights as it made for a Glamorous Evening!

Chef David was accessible to all the guests. Coming out to the dining room, greeting everyone and making sure you were happy. One day my husband told the chef- he may prefer something different instead of a filet of fish. The chef said call me and let me know- he said “do you want a whole fish- I can make it anyway you want”.

Almost on every port before we were ready to sail- there would be a lovely small buffet set up by the pool area before dinner. Chef David was always walking around – getting to know all the guests.

One night we had a “Barbeque Dinner” on the pool deck. It was FANTASTIC! Forty desserts to choose from- I counted! The pool deck was set up with fabric covered chairs, linen tablecloths. Great entertainment and dancing to the wee hours. We were talking to a few couples and the Captain came by our table and talk to us for one hour! That is what made our cruise so special- all the staff treated you like family!

Every cruise they do an open Kitchen Galley Buffet Lunch. What a magnificent presentation!

So interesting to see how the kitchen functions.

See pictures of Kitchen Galley Lunch, Barbeque Dinner Buffet on Pool Deck and Breakfast Buffet:

http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/dafne478965

At the bars they use linen napkins- another attention to fine detail! All the bartenders made great drinks!

I like Pina Coladas and had it prepared in Hawaii with vanilla ice cream. I told the bartender and with in a few minutes they went down to the kitchen galley and got the ice cream. No request is denied!

When we disembarked at the ports they had cold bottled water to take ashore and on the way back waiting for the tenders to return to the ship –at the ports they had cold punch, water and chilled towels!

What makes Silversea cruises so special are the fellow passengers you meet.

We met wonderful, fascinating people from all over the world. Everyone was so friendly and wanted to socialize. We have made some lasting friendships that we will keep in touch with.

If you want wonderful service, great food, and a smaller ship than there is only one Cruise Line- SILVERSEA!

The advantage of the smaller ship is that it is easier to make friends since you run into the same people all the time and the staff members get to know you personally.

Ron our cruise director was so friendly, and eloquent making

announcements and always had a big smile when he greeted us.

The entertainment was classy, A Broadway singer, a famous pianist etc.

On the third day the Cruise Hotel Director delivered to all cabins a sheet

asking if there is anything that he can do to make your cruise more pleasant please let him know.

I wrote back on the sheet: “HOW CAN YOU IMPROVE PERFECTION” And I meant it. There is nothing that I would add or change.

Spoke to many fellow passengers the last day of the cruise and everyone had the same opinion saying it was FABULOUS!

If you like Four Seasons hotels than you will love Silversea!

In fact I think Silversea is a cut above Four Seasons Hotels if you compare everything.

Silversea is a CLASS ACT! You will not be disappointed. In fact it will probably be one of the highlights of your life!!

You will be blown away with the Perfection in everything they do to make your cruise a memorable experience.

Silversea is expensive, but worth every dollar you pay.

We loved an all inclusive cruise- never have to sign for anything. Everything is included.

We kept asking ourselves, how can a cruise line deliver such a perfect product down to every last detail.

We travel all over the world for our business and have stayed in the finest hotels- and the Cruise we just went on with Silversea in all around service, food, attention to detail, and staff is top on our list.

To be honest it was hard to go back to reality when the cruise ended as this cruise was a Fantasy come true!

Our experience on Silversea was beyond our wildest dreams!

How would we describe our cruise? MAGNIFICENT! AMAZING! PERFECT! FANTASTIC! INCREDIBLE!

AND FABULOUS!!

If you want the best service, great food, a wonderful cruise experience than Silversea is for you!

dafne, thanks for your great review and we are so happy that you had an outstanding cruise.

We took our first Silver Seas cruise last December on Whisper's sister ship, Silver Shadow, and our thoughts about our cruise were very very close to yours.

We will be on Whisper for our cruise of a life time in Dec. 2008 - such a long time away :o We were so happy to read your review because we have been reading some posts here which were quite critical of Whisper.

Dafne,

Could you please tell us a little bit about the ports you visited. Did you go to Taormina in Sicily because I'll be there on the Wind in August? If so, what tours did you take? Also what Greeks Isles did you visit? I'm sure the excursions must have been as wonderful as the rest of your cruise so I'd love the benefit of your experience. Thanks.

Jun 6 2007 Wednesday Piraeus/Athens, Greece 07:00 PM

Jun 7 2007 Thursday Patmos, Greece 01:00 PM 07:00 PM

Jun 8 2007 Friday Rhodes, Greece 08:00 AM 07:00 PM

Jun 9 2007 Saturday Santorini, Greece 08:00 AM 07:00 PM

Jun 10 2007 Sunday Cruising

Jun 11 2007 Monday Corfu, Greece 08:00 AM 11:00 PM

Jun 12 2007 Tuesday Cruising

Jun 13 2007 Wednesday Taormina, Italy 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

Jun 14 2007 Thursday Sorrento, Italy 08:00 AM 07:00 PM

Jun 15 2007 Friday Civitavecchia, Italy 07:00 AM

In Taromina - we just walked around the town- wonderful- with great shopping. On our past cruise we went to the Greek Theatre- so did not revisit it this time.

In Sorrento- Hired a private driver with another couple and for 8 hours went up the Amalfi Coast- Breathtaking!!! Views are magnificent. Walked around Positano and Revello. Ate lunch in great local restaurant in Revello.

In Santorini- took cable car up- and walked around the town and had lunch.

In Corfu- walked around the old town and then hired a taxi for 3 1/2 hours to go to western side of the island. Beautiful!!

In Rhodes- Took Cruise excursion to the Acroplis in Lindos. After tour walked around the old town for hours and had great lunch! Charming town.

In Patmos- Walked around the town- and walked around the waterfront.

We just cruised on the Wind for the first time and have booked another trip in October 2008 - similar to yours but from Rome to Athens. Reading your review, I can't wait to get back on Silversea and we are really looking forward to the ports. Our experience was a lot like yours - we just could not believe the service! I would put the number of months til we leave here, but it is a little disheartening......

:cool:

Michele

It's so good to hear a positive experience!!

We've been on the Cloud twice and both times the crew were utterly FANTASTIC!! When we left the ship there were a few tears.....

We'll be back....., but we're trying Seadream first!

:)

ps, like the idea of chops for breakfast!!!

I have no doubt about the breakfast situation

DD requested on the second morning or so a peach and banana smoothie..on the first morning it took a little while and then on each morning as she walked into breakfast she was asked..the usual...to which she replied yes...and it was promptly served...

And just for those who wonder about the OJ..yes it was fresh peach!

It is a very long time since we have seen a review as positive as this,concerning Silversea.

Chops for breakfast,Most odd.

I would suggest that you read my multi-part review of our cruise on Shadow last December.

Charlie --

Every morning first thing when I get up I turn on the computer and checking Cruise Critic is about #4 on my bookmarks list.

Evidently I missed your December review of SHADOW -- I was visiting family in Midwest and didn't catch up on all the posts.

Your response today mentioning your detailed review of your cruise was wonderful!

I have well over 250 days on Silversea ships -- will be on Whisper in September and I can hardly wait to get back on the water -- and your description -- Marilyn, Justin -- everything you mentioned -- has MADE my Saturday afternoon here in droughty southern California.

Thanks for such descriptive, objective writing.

When do you go again?

Would love to buy you and Nedra a drink next time in The Bar....;)

Thanks for the review. We will be sailing on the Whisper in March and so far had only read negative reviews and there have been many of those on this board. Not that we took any notice anyway - we still went ahead and booked and are very much looking forward to our cruise.

Jane;)

Dusababy, thank you for the kind words, and glad that you enjoyed the review.

In answer to your question, we are booked in a Silver Suite on Whisper, for a 16 night cruise embarking on 12/4/2008 in Singapore, and disembarking in Sydney. It is our "cruise of a lifetime".

CEchase,

Did you say you were booked in a silver suite?

Yes, it is 723. We had 724 on the Shadow and had no noise at all from the elevator, and our TA suggested 723. We actually were waitlisted on Shadow for a silver suite and got lucky. This time we booked almost two years in advance, and only 5 of the 13 were left! We are of the opinion that the silver suite is much better laid out and better than the grand suites.

Yes, it is 723. We had 724 on the Shadow and had no noise at all from the elevator, and our TA suggested 723. We actually were waitlisted on Shadow for a silver suite and got lucky. This time we booked almost two years in advance, and only 5 of the 13 were left! We are of the opinion that the silver suite is much better laid out and better than the grand suites.

We have booked a grand suite for our cruise next year. I am curious as to why you think the silver suite is better laid out than the grand suite. They both look very nice. Just interested in your opinion as this will be our first SS cruise.

Jane

Archived