Catch a Ballgame

oahurose

Our group has tickets to a Yankee Game. We'll probably be staying at a hotel in East Manhatten after our cruise.

What is the best way to get to and from the game? Any problems we should be aware of?

Thanks....We can't wait to see the House That Ruth Built......

Our group has tickets to a Yankee Game. We'll probably be staying at a hotel in East Manhatten after our cruise.

What is the best way to get to and from the game? Any problems we should be aware of?

FROM THE YANKEES WEBSITE

The Yankee Stadium Subway stop is located right outside the Stadium at the corner of 161st St. and River Ave. The Stadium is conveniently reached by several subway lines and a trip from midtown Manhattan takes less than 25 minutes. The #4 train, as well as the B (weekdays only) and D trains make stops at 161st St./Yankee Stadium. Metro North train service to Connecticut and Westchester County is available at the 125th St. subway stop.

Subway map

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Great......How about coming back? Same #6? Will my buddy wearing a Red Sox hat be safe??????Just kidding, he won't wear it......

scratch the #6 train....i was typing too fast. it's the 4 train. and yes...teh same coming back.

wear whatever you wish. people wear redsox hats all the time. yankee fans aren't like that.

there are fans of all teams in NYC actually.

We have done this several times and will also be going to a Yankees Game in September prior to our cruise. Next year is the last year of the stadium before the new one is built so it's great that you are going there now.

Yes, take the subway. Just get the directions at the Hotel.

The area is better than it was. I would get to the stadium sixty to ninety minutes before the game. When you exit the subway station you will see Yankee stadium so head in that direction. And, when the game is over just leave with everyone else. You'll see that most of the folks on the subway are people coming back from the game.

And to the other poster, I would not recommend wearing a hat other than a Yankee hat. Over the years I have seen some who wear other teams hats into the stadium. Not a good move.

Keith

And to the other poster, I would not recommend wearing a hat other than a Yankee hat. Over the years I have seen some who wear other teams hats into the stadium. Not a good move.

Keith

i am sure we've all attended many sporting events in various cities. isn't the home team fans' response to a visiting fan the same? IMO...it's all about how drunk the fans are.

....oh wait...there are those Philly fans. they are just plain old mean. isn't that the only stadium with a jail cell in there?

wear what you want...just respect the crowd...just like us penn state fans.

i am sure we've all attended many sporting events in various cities. isn't the home team fans' response to a visiting fan the same? IMO...it's all about how drunk the fans are.

....oh wait...there are those Philly fans. they are just plain old mean. isn't that the only stadium with a jail cell in there?

wear what you want...just respect the crowd...just like us penn state fans.

Actually, the answer is no. In certain cities the fans are passionate about their teams. New York is one for baseball along with other teams such as Boston for the Red Sox, Chicago for the Cubs, San Francisco for the Giants and so forth. However, there are other baseball stadiums that you can wear what you want and you will not get comments, such as the Ballpark in Texas for the Rangers.

It varies by city and within a city by sport.

And, honestly it's no big deal. I was just trying to give some background on this based on having gone to Yankee stadium over the years. Everyone is pleased to do what they want. i always try to be helpful on Cruise Critic and that's all I was trying to do.

Keith

Actually, the answer is no. In certain cities the fans are passionate about their teams. New York is one for baseball along with other teams such as Boston for the Red Sox, Chicago for the Cubs, San Francisco for the Giants and so forth. However, there are other baseball stadiums that you can wear what you want and you will not get comments, such as the Ballpark in Texas for the Rangers.

It varies by city and within a city by sport.

And, honestly it's no big deal. I was just trying to give some background on this based on having gone to Yankee stadium over the years. Everyone is pleased to do what they want. i always try to be helpful on Cruise Critic and that's all I was trying to do.

Keith

fair enough. i agree with you. i just find it interesting how the NY area (and in this case, it's fans) are perceived.

then again...i'm one of those fans, whether home or visitor, that doesn't give a rat's backside about the other fans. i come to cheer my team on during the game...and then after...back to the tailgate. (obviously not in yankee or shea).

as this thread progressed i recall the episode in seinfeld there elaine work the O's cap to a yankee game...what a funny episode. and i guess there's the episode with david puddy (sp?) and him being a NJ devils fan...hahahhahaah.

PLAY BALL!

fair enough. i agree with you. i just find it interesting how the NY area (and in this case, it's fans) are perceived.

then again...i'm one of those fans, whether home or visitor, that doesn't give a rat's backside about the other fans. i come to cheer my team on during the game...and then after...back to the tailgate. (obviously not in yankee or shea).

as this thread progressed i recall the episode in seinfeld there elaine work the O's cap to a yankee game...what a funny episode. and i guess there's the episode with david puddy (sp?) and him being a NJ devils fan...hahahhahaah.

PLAY BALL!

I agree with you. I go to the game to enjoy the game and to root for the team. And I don't care about others rooting for the other team.

The Yankees have very passionate fans and sometimes in their passion they can take it out on the opposing fans. I remember going to a playoff game a few years ago at Yankee stadium and there were two guys wearing hats of the visiting team and I wasn't sure if they would make it out of the stadium alive. They were taking lots of verbal abuse throughout the game.

Oh well.

Keith

I know people who wear other team hats and shirts, etc... to Yankees or Mets games. The real issue is the Mets fans vs. the Yankees fans. We're nice to everyone else ;).

Go Mets! I bet I'll be attacked for that one :eek:.

I know people who wear other team hats and shirts, etc... to Yankees or Mets games. The real issue is the Mets fans vs. the Yankees fans. We're nice to everyone else ;).

Go Mets! I bet I'll be attacked for that one :eek:.

i think the current situation with the mets and yankees have both fan bases wishing that things were a little different.

can't say i'm a fan of either team. i root for all NY teams.

Great......How about coming back? Same #6? Will my buddy wearing a Red Sox hat be safe??????Just kidding, he won't wear it......

Take the train, don't even think about a cab, total nightmare and your buddy can wear whatever he wants.

It depends on how sensitive your friend is. I attend many games (does my screen name give me away???). Fans wearing other team shirts and hats will get some good-natured ribbing at the very least. I was at a game last Thursday afternoon and was sitting next to a life-long Red Sox fan (poor misguided woman). We had a great time teasing each other. In all seriousness, I told her I respect her dedication as a true fan. You root for the team you grew up with, I can understand that.

It really depends on who you are sitting near and I guess how drunk they are. If you are in "corporate seats" you probably won't have a problem. However I would never think of wearing a Sox hat around the bleacher creatures!!!!

From mid-town, the subway is really the way to go. Not sure where you are staying but there is a ferry called the Yankee Clipper that stops on the east side of Manhattan near the Water Club. From Manhattan, it's about a 45 minute ride up the East River to the Stadium. Short walk to the ballpark from where it docks. It leaves 45 minutes after the end of the game so you are limited if you want to leave early (heaven forbid) or stay late after the games. Stan's is a great place to go for a few beers after the game.

Try and get there early so you can see Monument Park. It closes about a half hour before game time. If you are a real baseball fan you will get chills seeing all the retired numbers.

Have a great time! It's a beautiful park and I can't imagine a new one. Same with Fenway, so much history!:)

It depends on how sensitive your friend is. I attend many games (does my screen name give me away???). Fans wearing other team shirts and hats will get some good-natured ribbing at the very least. I was at a game last Thursday afternoon and was sitting next to a life-long Red Sox fan (poor misguided woman). We had a great time teasing each other. In all seriousness, I told her I respect her dedication as a true fan. You root for the team you grew up with, I can understand that.

It really depends on who you are sitting near and I guess how drunk they are. If you are in "corporate seats" you probably won't have a problem. However I would never think of wearing a Sox hat around the bleacher creatures!!!!

The corp seats on the Mezzanine level are very tame and more room. The box seats on the first level tend to be more rowdy. I exchange for a world series 4 seats on the first level for two on the Mezzanine level. The people who were on the first level were soaked with beer by a rowdy fan. remember the way to nicely remind Boston is the same way that the Yankees do it with the Mets 26 world championships to 2 .....The security people won't let anyone wear a Boston sucks hat or tee shirt...its very civilized(more so than Boston)....

PS take the subway its a hoot and very safe and fast more so than a cab and the Ferry I haven't taken...

The corp seats on the Mezzanine level are very tame and more room. The box seats on the first level tend to be more rowdy. I exchange for a world series 4 seats on the first level for two on the Mezzanine level. The people who were on the first level were soaked with beer by a rowdy fan. remember the way to nicely remind Boston is the same way that the Yankees do it with the Mets 26 world championships to 2 .....The security people won't let anyone wear a Boston sucks hat or tee shirt...its very civilized(more so than Boston)....

PS take the subway its a hoot and very safe and fast more so than a cab and the Ferry I haven't taken...

i used to live in foxboro and would hit a red sox game when i had a chance. now this is not a reflection on the team...but there is soething about the red sox fan (at least the ones i saw) that boggle my mind.

i mean when the yankees lose....all the superfans are upset, angry...etc...but in a short time they get over it.

i've been to a couple games where the red sox lost and some of the fans are not just mad....they become irate and destructive in their own stadium. it's far more civilized in yankee/shea stadiums.

.........all bleacher crowds are rowdy in my opinion. i know...i've been one many a time.

Archived