Pictures of cruise Ships

karmac

Not sure how this will go, but we'll give it a try. I got the idea from another website that I regularly check out. Post any pic of any cruise ship. It can be one you love or one you don't like so much, one you've been on or one you'd like to go on.

I'll start with one of my favourites, the Saga Ruby

SY05aa.JPG

Karen

How do you do that? Every picture I post is thumbnail size. Great picture, it looks sensational.

I found that pic on another website of course & I just right clicked, clicked copy & then when on here, clicked edit then paste. I spent ages trying to do it yesterday when I posted another pic and ended up doing by accident.

Karen

Ok, seeing as my favourite ship has already been posted, here is probably my second favourite. The little known small liner Jason (Iason in the pics), now sailing as Ocean Odyssey. There is just something about this one that really appeals to me.

266204.jpg

266203.jpg

If you are looking for photos of a particular ship, dont forget ShipSpotting.com

ellinis-syd-78.jpg

This is RHMS Ellinis in Sydney around 1978. The "X" on the funnels is a greek "Chi" and stands for "Chandris" - she was part of the Chandris line.

This was the ship that my family migrated to Australia aboard in 1965. She carried many migrants to Australia in her time.

Built in 1932, she was originally named "Lurline" of the Matson line, and had distinguished during WW2 serving as a troop carrier, and was fortunate to have left Pearl Harbour in 1941 about 3 days prior to the Japanese attack.

Former Australian PM John Curtin sailed on her as part of a voyage to meet with President Roosevelt.

She was scrapped in the 1980's and parts of her were cannibalized for use on "Britanis" another Chandris ship.

She may not be as pretty as some of the more modern ships, but with a history of over 50 years she touched the lives of many people who, todoay, would probably never have had the chance to cruise.

The Centaur

Not so much a cruise ship as a luxury cargo passenger liner, the Centaur operated for many years between Fremantle and Singapore from around 1967.

As well as carrying upwards of 200 passengers in absolute comfort it also carried dry cargo, and when the seson was right, live cattle between Derby, Broome and Perth.

An interesting vessel.

My wife and I were fortunate to return from a 2 year army posting in Singapore on it in 1971.

We had a ball, and it gave us a taste for further cruising.

The Centaur operated on this route for many years before moving on to other areas of the world. It was finally sold to a Chinese shipping company and was supposedly operating out of Shanghai. Sadly it has not been heard of for many years.

centaur021hh3.jpg

cen1aa9.jpg

centaur01abz1.jpg

The Centaur

Not so much a cruise ship as a luxury cargo passenger liner,

Do you know of any ships that do this sort of thing these days? It used to be a fairly cheap way to go on a long cruise :)

Do you know of any ships that do this sort of thing these days? It used to be a fairly cheap way to go on a long cruise :)

Sadly I think they've all gone.

Been replaced by the floating "apartment blocks" which the Americans [who control the market] seem to demand. :mad:

It was finally sold to a Chinese shipping company and was supposedly operating out of Shanghai. Sadly it has not been heard of for many years.

It was sold in 1985 and became the Hai Long.

The only pics i could find are older ones from when she still was the centaur

http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/268647.jpg

4808.jpg

4809.jpg

It was sold in 1985 and became the Hai Long.

Thanks Star Man.

The poor old dear looks a bit sad in those photos.

It must have been when it was waiting to be sold as to my knowledge it never laid at anchor at any of the ports it visited under the Blue Funnel Flag. It was always dockside.

A pity to see such a lovely vessel end up like that. :mad:

Sorry for the thread hi-jack folks.

Thanks for the link Nellius - hey thats my sort of travel.:)

I may have to investigate a trip next year sometime.

Anyone interested???

I would be. although after reading THIS review on just freighter travel, I wouldnt mind trying that out too.

The poor old dear looks a bit sad in those photos.

It must have been when it was waiting to be sold

Yep, waiting to be sold in 1984

I found one. http://www.aranui.com/ there must be others.

I would be. although after reading THIS review on just freighter travel, I wouldnt mind trying that out too.

Had a look into these a few months ago from a different link. They were putting an ad in one of Sydney's Sunday papers. The Aranui is included on this site. Price on a 17 night cruise started at around $7000. While this is the only working ship on the site, there are some other interesting itineraries on small cruise ships as well.

http://www.ultimatecruising.com.au/

Cheers,

The Canberra has always appealed to me. Had some family members cruise on her when I was young, and used to have heaps of postcards and souvenirs from the ship. Also followed her progress closely when she was being used as support ship during the Falkland Islands conflict.

Hard to believe she has now been off the seas for 10 years.

Canberra_1961-03-Dixon.jpg

Cheers,

The Canberra has always appealed to me. Had some family members cruise on her when I was young, and used to have heaps of postcards and souvenirs from the ship. Also followed her progress closely when she was being used as support ship during the Falkland Islands conflict.

Hard to believe she has now been off the seas for 10 years.

Canberra_1961-03-Dixon.jpg

Cheers,

The Canberra has always been one of my favourite looking ships too. Would have loved to have sailed on her. I often check out her website, looking at what I missed out on:( . Wish they still built them like that.:mad:

Karen

Archived