Pictures of cruise Ships

karmac

The Canberra has always appealed to me. Had some family members cruise on her when I was young, and used to have heaps of postcards and souvenirs from the ship. Also followed her progress closely when she was being used as support ship during the Falkland Islands conflict.

Hard to believe she has now been off the seas for 10 years.

Canberra_1961-03-Dixon.jpg

Cheers,

Yeah, the Canberra was a beautiful vessel.

We passed her in the middle of Sydney Harbour back in 1972 as we were setting out on a cruise in the old Himalaya.

Much blasting of horns etc. :)

And as for the Himalaya - another of the classic old P&O beautiful "white ships" and a joy to sail on.

In those days almost every table had one of the ships officers presiding at Dinner.

These were pre-terrorist days, and you virtually had the run of the ship. At that time I was a proffessional Radio Operator and spent a lot of time with the "Sparker" in his Radio Room. ;)

himalaya3194904dixonjc8.jpg

Good to see P&O has gone back to their classic "White Ships" with the advent of Pacific Dawn.

Now they look like P&O ships again - and not like part of a travelling circus.:D

The Centaur

Not so much a cruise ship as a luxury cargo passenger liner ....

Do you know of any ships that do this sort of thing these days? It used to be a fairly cheap way to go on a long cruise :)

Don't know if these are up to par and not sure of the "luxury" tag, but found some more links to some freighter cruises

http://www.freightertravel.com.au/destinations

http://www.freightercruises.com/

http://www.juddspittler.com/freighterbum/links.htm

http://www.freighter-travel.com/travel-itineraries.html

http://www.travltips.com/freighterdirectory.html

http://members.aol.com/CruiseAZ/freighters.htm

http://www.freighterworld.com/index.html

Cheers,

Thanks for this. This whole topic is fascinating. I've emailed Host Walt to see if he thinks it might be worthwhile to create a new message board specifically relating to freighter travel. It would be really helpful to get some more perspectives on this. He suggested TravlTips.com as well.

Thanks for this. This whole topic is fascinating. I've emailed Host Walt to see if he thinks it might be worthwhile to create a new message board specifically relating to freighter travel. It would be really helpful to get some more perspectives on this. He suggested TravlTips.com as well.

These are interesting, but are in our "not yet" list. Some of the trips look great, but we have a bit (read lot) of the mainstream stuff to do.

Plenty of room on CC for a freighter board in the special interest cruising area. Laura posted a review of a Yangtze River cruise on the hompage yesterday

Plenty of variety out there for anyone that wants a break from the mainstream.

Neil,

What software do you use for your deckcam vids? Not sure if I have the patience to do many of these, but these captures from the past months or so would look great in motion! Might also look to use our idle broadband data and get a capture for the 12 nights we are onboard.

Cheers,

Geoff

Neil,

What software do you use for your deckcam vids? Not sure if I have the patience to do many of these, but these captures from the past months or so would look great in motion! Might also look to use our idle broadband data and get a capture for the 12 nights we are onboard.

Cheers,

Geoff

Geoff

I use Camtasia to record an area of my screen, and leave it running overnight. I set it to timelapse mode recording 2 frames per minute, and playing back at 2 frames per second. The web page auto-refreshes every 30 seconds, so you don't use up much bandwidth or disk space, but over 12 days it you'd definately get over a GB of data.

I then either edit it with Camtasia if I don't have to touch it up much, or use Windows Movie Maker if there lots of splits and transitions. The video feed gets corrupted sometimes and you get spurious frames from weeks ago thrown into the mix, which have to be manually edited out.

I try to aim for an output of about 2 to 3mb per minute of video. Any more and it takes too long to play on Youtube, any less and it starts to look crappy.

The two most important things are knowing what to cut out, and what sort of music to use as a backing.

Please give it a go - it would be nice to have a few of us doing the recording.

Neil

P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Sam...have cruised on this beautiful ship.. nice thought about PO .... but not a snowflake in hell chance....lol... look on the bright side if Saga keep her in their fleet you only have 32 years and you're eligible to cruisel on her....lol.....cheers

Absolutely stunning scenery.:eek: So similar to Alaska. Give me scenery like this any day over a tropical island.:)

G'day. Is this somewhere in Scandinavia?Look like real "hills"in the background,and I thought the hike up the "mount"on Dravuni island was tough going!! PS.How good was Barry Hall last night after a spell on the bench??!! Go swans!!!!Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies up front.

Has been a tough couple of days with the Sun & the Star in the news.

Just be glad the following ship did not wash up on the shores of Nobbys.

Can imagine Aaron Kearney on ABC radio discussing this now.

page13_blog_entry281_1.png

Cheers

Apologies up front.

Has been a tough couple of days with the Sun & the Star in the news.

Just be glad the following ship did not wash up on the shores of Nobbys.

Can imagine Aaron Kearney on ABC radio discussing this now.

page13_blog_entry281_1.png

Cheers

I think I know who that ship was named after....

Archived