Citiknits

1cruiselvr

Has anybody modified a citiknits outfit without damaging it? I need to sew one of the tops because the armpit holes are too big. Possibly taking the top seam up would do but I'm not a very experienced seamstress so I'm concerned that I'm going to ruin the citiknit material if I cut it. I could really use some advice from experienced sewers that have modified citiknits material. I LOVE the stretchiness of it but I'm scared to cut or sew it. HELP!

Have you purchased many Citiknits? QVC Outlet in Myrtle Beach had some when we were there in June and the fabric felt really "clingy" to me i.e. that it wouldn't hold up. Also her pants are long for me (5'7") and I don't think I'd want to alter them???

I love some of the pantsuits but just don't know anyone who has actually purchased any??? Do you love them as much as Rene and the hosts say you will?:confused:

I'm a big Denim & Co. gal myself since the lawfirm is business casual... those "denim" two-pocket pants are a dream -- and in every color but blue don't look like the taboo "jeans";)

I have only purchased a few items, liked some, didn't like others. it's hit or miss with me. The material is clingy and that's why I'm afraid of altering it. I think I'm going to stay away from citiknits in the future because they don't always fit me the way I'd like. This outfit is 3-pcs, jacket, sleeveless top and capri pants. The pants/top fit perfectly, but the arm holes are too big in the top. I thought I could alter it, but after examining the material more closely I realized it's a knit and it may not be easy to do.

Unlike a lot of the ladies here, I do not at all like Citiknits. I find the fabric to be clingy, I just don't like the drape of the fabric and it just reminds me too much of the fabrics used in the 70's, which weren't too attractive. I know they don't wrinkle and they pack well, but I just don't find either the designs or the fabric to be attractive.

Love Denim & Co. I have lots of their slacks and two piece outfits. Their slacks are a godsend.

I like citiknits--especially since I work with young children & I don't look wrinkled at the end of the day. I did take up several tops under the arm holes (including the one you mentioned.) I just seamed it by hand and didn't cut the material. I find that they run large overall and are especially large under the arms!

I don't find the material to be clingy once it is on. It also holds its shape well..and I spend a lot of time sitting cross-legged and crawling around on the floor!

I have bought three citiknits pieces. Sent one back. I bought a top which is not sleeveless and it fits great. I have bought a navu blue pantsuit and like it but the pants are lone. I can roll them once at the waist. I am going to wear some sort of Spanx type item on the bottom under the pants to feel better and more secure. They are very comfortable and my DH said they were flattering I am a size 16 and 5'4'.

I don't think I would want to alter because of the material and I don't know how to sew.LOL

Pat

There may be a way for you to e-mail this question to Rene from Citiknits. Go to the QVC web site. At the very least you could ask one of the hosts.

I like Citiknits, but don't have as many of their outfits as I do Denim & Co. My office is very casual so I'm pretty much O.K. in D&C stuff. I've got one Citiknits dress that is sleeveless, but I don't find the holes to be too open, so I can't help there. The other outfit I have is a reversible skirt and top that I bought a second top for. My DH loved the way it looked on me - said it was very flattering. I don't find them to be clingy, just kind of drapey.

I absolutely love Citiknits, in fact, I am wearing the black pant and vest today at work. It is very comfortable for plane travel, and does not wrinkle one bit.

As far as altering it, I sew, and the only thing that I would be careful of is the stitch count per inch, simply because the fabric is "stretchy." :eek:

• 1 month later...

Thank you to whoever mentioned buying citiknits on e bay. I have bought four different outfits at less than half price. It has been wonderful. Once you know your size it is easy. You get to check the price on QVC and hope for the best. I think I am done buying for now but will bring my purchases on my cruise in November. They will be so easy to pack.

I forgot the name of the person that mentioned on the cruise fashion thread but a great big thank you for the idea I never would have thought of it and I have never shopped on ebay before. I have had great luck and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Pat

That was me and no, I decided against it. When I pinned the modifications I realized that it still wasn't going to work to my satisfaction so I decided to sell the entire outfit on Ebay. I was really only in love with the capri pants anyway. Thanks for asking. Happy Sailing!

I much prefer the fit of Chico's Travelers knits over the Citiknits. I should admit, however, that I have only purchased a couple of the Citiknits TSV and had to send them back. It may be that these special deals are not the same quality/fit of the regular line.

Hi:)

Delta...I have worn both....Chico's and Citiknits...

The TSV on the Q are the same quality as the rest of the line.....

That is why there are so many choices.....different strokes for different folks;)

• 1 year later...
I have only purchased a few items, liked some, didn't like others. it's hit or miss with me. The material is clingy and that's why I'm afraid of altering it. I think I'm going to stay away from citiknits in the future because they don't always fit me the way I'd like. This outfit is 3-pcs, jacket, sleeveless top and capri pants. The pants/top fit perfectly, but the arm holes are too big in the top. I thought I could alter it, but after examining the material more closely I realized it's a knit and it may not be easy to do.

This is exactly the reason I do not buy 3 piece outfits, never do all 3 pieces fit.

Sleeveless tops are the worst, I can't stand the gaposis. The few tops that I loved enough to alter, I took equal amounts from the side seam and shoulder seam. If you just take in the side seam, the garment doesn't drape as well. Who in the world thinks that women have armpits down to there? Especially in a fabric that has stretch to it:confused:

I haven't tried Citiknits, so I can't compare, I just think the drape of fabric looks terrible on their models. I've watched the show a few times and it all looks so matronly to me. I do have a few pieces of Chicos, pants and skirts very basic stuff. I pair it with tops other than Chicos, plus a few Chicos jackets.

I have felt the fabric from discount stores in passing, there is a definite difference in the weight of the fabric and the sewing technique (yes, I turn garments inside out, I'm a former sewer!). You don't really save much money on clothing that falls apart or fades after a few washings. Buy the best quality you can afford, it's better to have fewer nicer pieces, you save money in the long run.

I found the same material at KHOL'S......they have brand

called "West End". Normally I don't do a lot of sleevless either

but I have to tell you...the armholes on this top are wonderful;) :D

If feels very well made to me.....it is a squared neckline and looks

very flattering on me (if I may say so:) )

And the arm holes...again, they are cut higher so none of your

undergarments will show (thankfully)!!!

Oh and the drape fits wonderfully too~If you have a Kohl's near you

I would check them out.

I purchased my first Citiknit top last week and I'll be returning it this weekend. It looked so cute on the models (bright rose pink . . . long on one side and short on the other) and I have a pair of black slacks from Lord & Taylor that looked like they might be the same material and thought it would make a nice outfit for travel. Wrong! For over $50.00 (with shipping), I thought the material just wasn't worth it (too think and flimsy). What bothered me the most was that the top was so wrinkled! My slacks could be rolled in a ball for weeks and look perfect when hung.

Hi Lois, Yes, I do have a Kohls close by, I don't go in there very often though. It's close to the Trader Joes, I drive right by there almost every week, I should pop in!

I like square necked tops, too. From what I've read about my body type in the past, I should wear "V" necks, but I'm never happy with the way I look, I prefer a square or scoop neck. You'll never catch me in a crew neck, I'd be all day trying to pull the dang thing away from my throat :rolleyes: . But, funny enough, I don't mind a turtleneck.

I purchased my first Citiknit top last week and I'll be returning it this weekend. It looked so cute on the models (bright rose pink . . . long on one side and short on the other) and I have a pair of black slacks from Lord & Taylor that looked like they might be the same material and thought it would make a nice outfit for travel. Wrong! For over $50.00 (with shipping), I thought the material just wasn't worth it (too think and flimsy). What bothered me the most was that the top was so wrinkled! My slacks could be rolled in a ball for weeks and look perfect when hung.

Tammy, I am sorry it was so wrinkled:eek: :(...that is one

of the things I love about this material...it never wrinkles

on me.

Well, there are other choices....Chicos carries this same thing..

acetate and spandex.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Hi Lois, Yes, I do have a Kohls close by, I don't go in there very often though. It's close to the Trader Joes, I drive right by there almost every week, I should pop in!

I like square necked tops, too. From what I've read about my body type in the past, I should wear "V" necks, but I'm never happy with the way I look, I prefer a square or scoop neck. You'll never catch me in a crew neck, I'd be all day trying to pull the dang thing away from my throat :rolleyes: . But, funny enough, I don't mind a turtleneck.

Kathy, I love v-necks!....seems to elongate the neck;)

nice for us short people:D but this square neckline is very

flattering too!

Many stores carry the same fabric used in Citiknits:

Kohls

JcPennys (Alfred Dunner has great choices)

Coldwater Creek (search on Travel knits)

Costco (our Costco has a road show of outfits going on right now till 10/1, brand is Amanda and they have racks of skirts, pants, blouses, jackets, shells .... dozens of colors). The only negative is that the tops are shorter than I normally would wear so am taking them back today.

When my husband and I renewed our wedding vows 5 years ago I had a floor length dress and jacket "made" using an ivory travel knit. It was great.

Travel knits/slinky material are great. I found them extremely comfortable and that they drape/hang nicely. I do lots of sewing, but with this fabric I normall take the pants in to have professionally hemmed. It just looks nicer than what I do.

We just got back from a 2 week vacation (1 week on the Dawn Princess) and I wore travel knits the whole time. Worked out great.

I wash them in cold water and hang to dry. Don't put them thru the dryer because of the spandex in them.

MilliesMom - Where did you have your renewal dress made? 11/25/06 we are having our marriage blessed in the morning, followed by a small reception at our home and then being driven to the port to leave on our Mexican Riviera cruise. Was going to wear the suit I was married in, but would love to surprise hubby. An ivory travel knit sounds like a great idea. The jacket would help also as SoCal Novembers can be very unpredictable.

MilliesMom - Where did you have your renewal dress made? 11/25/06 we are having our marriage blessed in the morning, followed by a small reception at our home and then being driven to the port to leave on our Mexican Riviera cruise. Was going to wear the suit I was married in, but would love to surprise hubby. An ivory travel knit sounds like a great idea. The jacket would help also as SoCal Novembers can be very unpredictable.

AT the time of my renewal (5 years ago) I was a plus size lady and bought a lot of my clothes from a store in Woodland Hills CA called The Big, The Bad, and the Beautiful. Marsha (the owner) worked with me on what I wanted. I took a dress she had in her store, had her make it long then took a long sleeve jacket. She does a great deal of her designs in the slinky (travel knit) material. She had it the dress and jacket made for me by her seamstress. I went to JoAnns Fabrics and purchased some beautiful ivory lace with pearl accents and irresdescent clear sequins. The seamstress added the lace around the neck of the jacket and down the front (one continuous piece) then added a pice to the neckline of the dress too.

Her website is: http://www.bigbadbeautiful.com/

e-mail: info@bigbadbeautiful.com

22563 Ventura Blvd

Woodland Hills, CA 91364

(928) 753-5887

Dress was similar to this style but in ivory with the lace/beading.

DCP02566-blackslinkyoutfit-Christa (2).JPG&w=72&h=160

I felt very elegant in it and the dress and jacket would of worked either in the long version or short version.

If you call the store, ask for Marcia (the owner). Many of her clothes can be made for the smaller woman to the super large woman. She is great about having things for almost everyone. I can recommend her store as I was a regular customer when we lived in CA. One time I wanted shorts made out of slinky material. She had never done them before in slinky, but agreed to do them for me. Later she made them for others too.

Hope this helps.

Archived