Does my dream Alaska cruise exist? Advice please...

Kayla's Mom

Can anyone make some suggestions to me?
We want to take our 2nd cruise to Alaska in summer 2005. So far, info is scarce so far in advance. We sailed August 2002 on RCCI's Legend of the Seas northbound from Vancouver for 7 nights, stopping in Ketchican, Juneau, Sitka and Seward. We missed both Skagway and Hubbard Glacier because of weather. We loved RCCI, especially the kids club.

We would like to take my parents in 2005 and visit some of the same ports (Ketchikan and Juneau especially). We would sail RCCI again without hesitation, but we'd like to do a longer itinerary if possible. We would certainly consider sailing from Seattle or even San Francisco, but prefer one-way since we'd also like to do some post-cruise stuff on the Kenai Peninsula.

Our priorities are a great kids club, informal dining, and seeing more of Glacier Bay, Hubbard, etc. since we missed that last time.

Does such a cruise exist?

Legend of the Seas 8/02
NCL Star to Hawaii 04/04

I don't know if you have checked [url="http://www.travelocity.com"]www.travelocity.com[/url]or Royal Caribbean's website [url="http://www.rccl.com"]www.rccl.com[/url] but you should be able to get information for Alaska 2005 sailings. We were also searching for a 2005 Alaska cruise and only found information for RCCL and Carnival. We decided to book the Radiance for August 20, 2005. Our sailing itinerary is Vancouver-Inside Passage-Juneau-Skagway-Hubbard Glacier-Ketchikan-Inside Passage-Vancouver. Good luck with your search.

K-Mom,
I understand your dilemma. We are also looking for a second cruise to Alaska and prefer one way for the same reasons you do. We would also like to try Skagway instead of Sitka, but still like to see Glacier Bay again rather than Hubbard Glacier.

The problem with the SF round trips is that this is basically an inside passage with Victoria thrown in for the foreign port and more sea days to get there. Seattle is also the same to lessor degree. We live close to SF and it is tempting due to no airline costs, but we want more Alaska and calmer waters than going up the west coast. Good luck on your search. As they keep adding more ships and itineraries, you might find a better mix of what you like. Or you have to prioritize your wants and take the cruise that meets most of them.

Princess does one way Vancouver-Whittier with Glacier Bay and College Fjord. I believe HAL does the same type of itinerary to/from Seward with Glacier Bay. Lastly, NCL does Glacier Bay as well (I think).

There are a limited number of ships that are allowed to visit Glacier Bay - so you'll have to check Princess/HAL/NCL. I don't know anything about the smaller cruise lines or the luxury lines like Crystal, Radisson etc.
Hope this helps

Monarch 11/97
Elation 8/98
Mercury 8/00
Maasdam 7/02
Grand Princess 7/03
Island Princess 7/04

Thanks everyone. I'm with you JohnQ!

I'm planning to book RCCI Vision for August 5 one way northbound on August 5 just to make sure I get something, but then keep looking.
I got a very good price on cruisequick.com.

Thanks for the advice on the one-way princess. Does anyone have any recommedations pro or con on Princess' kids club? My daughter loves all the arts & crafts, games, etc. We were just on an NCL earlier this month and the kids club was a real disappointment.

Legend of the Seas 8/02
NCL Star to Hawaii 04/04

Not that I would recommend NCL to anybody... but they do have a couple interesting 10 and 11 day iteneraries out of Seattle next year on the Dream. The 11 day visits, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Seward, Sitka and Prince Rupert. While the 10 day goes to Sitka, Anchorage, Juneau, Ketchikan and Prince Rupert. They are however round trip itineraries and I couldn't find mention of what glacier they go to.

Next Cruise: 6/27/04 Sapphire Princess

Thanks for that c-cruise! I am weighing all the options -- we liked NCL but my 8 yr. old didn't.

jennb - if you are still reading....I just noticed you are a vet of the Grand Princess. Did you like that shup? I have been looking at it on another itinerary.

Legend of the Seas 8/02
NCL Star to Hawaii 04/04

Cruise Critic will be hosting a cruise to Alaska next year but we are waiting for Princess rates to come out to get some comparisons. In case you want to check back to see how the rate compares to what you have.

Host Caroline
<font SIZE="1">[B]One can [I]never[/I] have too many days at sea...[/B]</font> [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas
Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

I would give an edge to HAL over RCI due to the College Fjords sailing. It is always high on my one way sailing list and HAL goes to Seward- another must do for me always. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] HAL has kids programs that offer great Alaska activities and in the past had a ship naturalist link. Kids will adjust to most anything I believe. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Before booking with RCCL - double check if they will have a naturalist on board for the entire week. Our Radiance cruise did not and I missed out big time by not having this. They did have a park ranger the day we went to Hubbard Glacier but I loved having the natuarlist onboard all week on Princess.

Thanks Budegt Queen and Coral! (I'm totally with you on Seward, Budget Queen -- we are retiring to Cooper Landing!)

Quick questions, though. My daughter is really into games and arts& crafts, etc. I always had the impression the HAl program was great for older kids and teens with more athletic excursions, etc. Can someone who has had a kid in their program comment?

I wish their was a way (with two back to back weeks which I thought of but can't afford) to sail up from SF or Seattle to one of the round-trip ships and hop off at a port and then hop on a one-way ship up to Seward.... I know, heavy duty fantacizing going on here in Belfast!

Legend of the Seas 8/02
NCL Star to Hawaii 04/04

Kayla's Mom -

The Grand was a beautiful ship. We enjoyed Princess so much that we made an open booking on the ship and consequently are now going on the Island Princess to Alaska. We've tried a lot of different cruise lines and Princess seemed to "fit" us better. (Although I would give Celebrity an edge for food). We enjoyed the flexible personal choice dining with our daughter.

As for the kid's program, I don't have any direct experience since my daughter was 2 when we were on the Grand and not allowed to be in the kid's programs without a parent. It is my understanding that Princess does well for children 3 to 10 or so. I've read posts where some of the older kids are bored in the program. I can update this first hand after my July 24th cruise because my daughter will be 3 and able to participate in the program.

One of the pluses with Princess is that they have on board naturalists for the whole cruise. Also, park rangers come aboard for Glacier Bay. The rangers also give presentations in the kid's programs as well.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Monarch 11/97
Elation 8/98
Mercury 8/00
Maasdam 7/02
Grand Princess 7/03
Island Princess 7/04

Thanks JennB -- we are thinking now of the Island or Coral Princess if they are on similar Alaskan itineraries next summer. I will keep my eyes open for your review.

Have a wonderful trip.

Legend of the Seas 8/02
NCL Star to Hawaii 04/04

Archived