Lisbon, Barcelona hotels

renny

What hotel does SilverSea use in Lisbon and in Barcelona? How was the experience? Was the included transportation worth the extra cost? I booked pre-cruise in Athens and the hotel rate was double the published cost but the airport pick-up was convenient. Thanks for the information!

Renny - Silversea's current Atlas shows the Lapa Palace in Lisbon and The Arts Hotel in Barcelona.

I'm certain both hotels would show over $400/night even on Expedia.

Lapa Palace is fabulous.

The Arts was the site of the Olympic Village at the port in Barcelona, built for 1992 Olympics (which put Barcelona on the tourist map in my book).

I understand it is rated 5 star -- I've read somewhat mixed reviews on TRIPADVISOR -- but opinions are just that.

You're right -- SS air/hotel packages are expensive but if the transfers and no hassle are important to you it's ALMOST worth it.

Last time I paid for it was in FLL -- a mistake. Could have done it for half the price or less myself.

Read it and weep: our first Silversea cruise that package was part of the cruise price - and we were in a Vista suite. We were met at the airport in Rome by SS rep and driven in a 4 door Lancia sedan to Cavalieri Hilton where we had the biggest marble bathroom in existence, in a room with a view of the Vatican !! Thought I had died and gone directly to heaven with the Vatican as my neighbor! Those were the good ole' days -- 1996.

Good luck!

In Barcelona I would recommend the Euro Star Grand Marina Hotel which is built on a pier. We stayed there before our Silversea cruise last year. The ship docked beside the hotel and we had a hotel bellman walk our luggage over for boarding. We have also stayed at the Hotel Arts, but it is twice the price of the Grand Marina and the two are very similar.

We stayed at the Hotel Arts for several days post-cruise last summer. While the hotel is absolutely beautiful, and the rooms are gorgeous, we found the service to be quite lacking. In addition, there were some issues with security which we found unacceptable. All in all, not a Ritz Carlton experience.

In Lisbon, we stayed at the Pestana Palace. We were upgraded to the Royal Suite and had a marvelous time. Gorgeous Hotel with gorgeous views!

Host Dan

When we went for our Mediterranean cruise aboard the Oceania Regatta in Spring, 2004, we stayed at the Hotel Colon for a few days. The location is wonderful, right at the centre of the tourist district, with lots of shops, restaurants and ATM machines. It faces a cathedral, and we saw the Easter procession that year. It is a local 4 star, and it charged only 160 euros per day at the time. The rooms are medium sized and clean, however, it may not meet the desires of the high end regular Silversea cruisers!

Another suggestion in Barcelona is the Majestic whcih is right in the heart of everything and had lovely rooms and great service. I am staying there for several nights before a Silversea cruise in August. In Lisbon, before the November Legend crossing I'm trying the Four Seasons. So far I have never had bad luck with a Four Seasons hotel. I do understand though that the Lapa Palace is beautiful. Whichever you choose I would definitely make my own reservations as you can save alot of money.

Lisbon - In April, we were at the Hotel Britania, an excellent choice for those who prefer smaller, boutique hotels (but a large, well-appointed room). Well-located, on a quiet street just a block of the Liberdade and Avenida metro stop. Rate included breakfast, served in a pleasant library. www.heritage.pt

In Barcelona I would recommend the Euro Star Grand Marina Hotel which is built on a pier. We stayed there before our Silversea cruise last year. The ship docked beside the hotel and we had a hotel bellman walk our luggage over for boarding. We have also stayed at the Hotel Arts, but it is twice the price of the Grand Marina and the two are very similar.

Sassy, we would like to hear more about the Grand Marina Hotel. We are staying there for two nights before embarking on Celebrity's Millie for a 14 night TA. The reviews that we read were quite good, we have a junior suite, and the price seemed to be very reasonable.

Archived