First Timer on Statendam - Good Choice?

GardenerGuy

Greetings,

We are taking our parents on a “Dream Vacation” to Alaska aboard the MS Statendam. While all of us have significant travel experience, none of us have ever before taken a cruise. Before booking I researched several cruise lines and from all I read it seamed as if HAL would best fit our needs. However, after reading some of the posts on this forum, I am now becoming very concerned about the Statendam.

This is really going to be a big event for all of us – probably the last long, far from home trip the parents will take, and we really want to spoil them. We will be in Deluxe Suites on the Navigation Deck. How concerned should I be? I am now envisioning mediocre food, horrendous plumbing and “Funny Smells” in every passageway!

Hi, I'll be on the Statendam July 15-22. When are you traveling?

I've been watching discussions about this ship with great interest, too. Here's where my thinking is after reading as much as I can find.

Regarding food, I'm not at all concerned. I haven't seen any consistent opinion on this issue. If anything, people seem really happy with the food. Some dishes here and there may have been duds, but most people report that they like the food overall. There are so many options and choices that I'm convinced it's easy to eat well on the ship. My main concern is eating too much! :o

Regarding plumbing and smells, not every recent passenger review has mentioned smells or plumbing problems, but the fact that several have indicates something of a pattern. I am a little bit concerned, but I think you need not be. This is because you are on one of the highest decks. Every mention I've seen of smells, spills, etc. has been on Main deck (2nd from the bottom). Even if there is a smell down there, (and that's a big maybe), you are unlikely to have a lot of exposure to it as you enjoy the amenities of the ship, since most things are at Promenade deck and above. I'm on A deck, below main deck. No one has mentioned problems on that deck, but this type of problem flows down, so I remain a little concerned...

In all liklihood, you will be fine. You will be so enthralled with the beauty of Alaska, it will overwhelm any small irritations.

We spent 34 days on the Statendam in March and April. Our cabin was on deck 4 (the lowest passenger deck). We had no problem with smells or plumbing. The only time I smelled something a little off was outside one of the public restrooms, and then only a couple times. The food was great although the vegies were a little too salty for me. There was a problem with one of the three airconditioning compressors as we were crossing the equator. It didn't bother us in our cabin, but some of the starboard cabins got a bit warm from some of the reports we heard. Once we got into cooler waters the problem went away. This was our second long cruise on the Statendam and we enjoyed both. The staff was really great! I wouldn't worry about problems. Such things occur on all ships but are isolated.

This is , I think, one of the down sides of this, or any message board. Here you have a fabulous trip planned for your family and you stumbled upon some less than wonderful reports and you are waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Last year, it was all about the Oosterdam and its never ending pod problems and virus outbreaks. And now she is once again the darling of the west coast.

Being the oldest ship in the fleet the Statendam may be more prone to some problems, especially plumbing problems. If they occur, they will be isolated. The Noordam, the youngest ship in HAL's fleet has also had some plumbing problems. It is a fact of cruising that gets a lot of attention for the obvious reasons.

Some people love the food on HAL and some do not. No one goes hungry and if you remember that all cruise food is banquet food, you will not be dissappointed.

Please try and put what you have read behind you and embrase your dream vacation and Alaska.

We'll be leaving on an Alaskan cruise July 1st. I've had some of these concerns, especially with the plumbing. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like if it occured in our cabin. Regardless, I'm ready for the trip of a life time. Months of planning, a week on the ship and a week exploring the interior. I'll let you know about the ship when we return.

You have made a Good Choice, as you will have on any Hal ship. We have been on four of them and have enjoyed every one. We were on the Statendam Nov-Dec to New Zealand and Aust. for 14 days. Everything was very good, the food, the service, the ship, the weather, a little rain, but they needed it. We have booked cabins on the main deck (inside) midship. You will really enjoy cruising with Hal I'm sure.

We were on the msSTATENDAM in January/2005 for a 30 day HAWAII/SOUTH PACIFIC cruise and then again in May/2006 for an 18 day trip from OSAKA, JAPAN to VANCOUVER, BC. She is a beautiful ship and we go on her again in a heartbeat. We especially love the PIANO BAR which is quiet and intimate.

Have a great time on her!

Greetings,

We are taking our parents on a “Dream Vacation” to Alaska aboard the MS Statendam. While all of us have significant travel experience, none of us have ever before taken a cruise. Before booking I researched several cruise lines and from all I read it seamed as if HAL would best fit our needs. However, after reading some of the posts on this forum, I am now becoming very concerned about the Statendam.

This is really going to be a big event for all of us – probably the last long, far from home trip the parents will take, and we really want to spoil them. We will be in Deluxe Suites on the Navigation Deck. How concerned should I be? I am now envisioning mediocre food, horrendous plumbing and “Funny Smells” in every passageway!

I think you've made a great choice. I was just on the Statendam 2 weeks ago with my parents and all my brothers, sisters, and their spouses to celebrate 4 anniversaries (2 on the ship and 2 the week before) so I definitely understand what you mean by a big family event. My parents and my sister and her husband were in Suites on the navigation deck and they were very nice. The rest of us were in outside cabins on the main deck. None of us had any issues with the cabins or plumbing, we all thought the food was great, the crew was probably the best I've ever had (and that's saying a lot!) and we were able to really enjoy spending the time with each other since we rarely get to do so. Have a great trip and enjoy the time with your parents!

I still can't beleive the mixed reviews the Statendam gets - I'd say its luck of the draw - we were on the ship late last year and had a dreadful time - I will never cruise with HAL or should that be HELL again due to the experience we had - good luck I hope you have a much better time than we did - we still feel ripped off to this day

We were on the Statendam on June 3. I think you will have a great time. I never smelled anything bad (our cabin was on the main deck). The food was good (be sure and order the chocolate souffle the 2nd night out). Service was probably the best I have had on a cruise. Captain Franz was a hoot. I just hope your weather is as good as ours was. Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

GardnerGuy,

I worried for months before our recent Statendam vacation and all for naught. She is a wonderful ship and her crew is extraordinary. I decided the day I boarded the ship that my cruise was going to be what I made it. Yes, there was some fraying carpet in places, but she was spic and span clean and the crew was always wiping her down. She does not suffer from neglect.

When I first saw her sitting in the harbor next to a brightly colored NCL ship, I have to admit, I was a bit jealous because she is not all glitzy and fun looking on the outside. But she is a classy dame on the inside.

If you go expecting 5 star dining, you will be disappointed. But with that said, the food was good and the choices were beyond belief. If you can't find something you like, you aren't looking. Some of my favorites were the Chicken Parm, turkey tenderloin and I loved the panini sandwiches in the Lido. I waited until the last morning to get an omelet and I'm glad I did. It was scrumptious and if I had gotten one on the first day, I would have fallen off the diet wagon much quicker than I did. Oh, and my husband loved every halibut and salmon dish.

We did have a slight sewer odor down the hall from our cabin on the verandah deck, but shortly after I noticed the smell, the crew was on top of it and within hours the smell disappeared. So if you notice an odor, report it.

Would I sail the Statendam again...you better believe it.

Hello from Washington State!

I've never cruised aboard the Statendam (but we'll be on her for 2 weeks at the end of July). I've been on the Veendam and Maasdam, Amsterdam. I love these smaller ships! I'm 47 years old, and I know HAL is geared toward the older generation, but I absolutely love these ships. We'll be on one of the mega ships next week (with Princess) and I have to say, I'm more excited about the HAL trip. Much more traditional, subdued (in a good way). Relaxing. My 81 year old mother, however, prefers all the action on the mega ships. Either way, you can't go wrong. When you read these boards, know that IF there was a problem, you can be sure it will be written about here. People seem more apt to complain than compliment. These are ships, and things are bound to go wrong. Some people get upset that the ship rocks in rough seas or vibrates when in gear - HELLO.... it's a ship! Enjoy this time with your parents. Sounds like you made a great choice.

Caroline

GardenerGuy

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We did back-to-back Alaskan cruises on the Statendam last year and enjoyed her. We had previously cruised on her. We were also in a Deluxe Suite. Never had any problems.

First cruise - you are going to be hooked!!

And you will love the Neptune Lounge !!

Enjoy!!

• 4 weeks later...

The Statendam was very nice. Older but kept up well. Plumbing is the problem. Actually, its people flushing things that shouldn't be flushed are the problem. When we boarded there was a definate smell in the halls near the Atrium on the Lower Promenade Deck, but not near our room. They need to find something to eliminate the smell once it is imbedded in wall to wall carpeting.

I enjoyed the food. They overcook steaks so be careful how you order it. I try to not order things I would routinely have at home and for the most part was not disappointed. My sister-in-laws do not care for seafood and the Alaskan cruise seemed to make this a feature. Servings are of a size which allow you to eat a multiple course meal and not feel that you're totally out of control. Maybe just a bit out of control.

What amazed us the most about this ship, it never seemed crowded. You could always find deck chairs, theatre seats, tables in a lounge or a seat by the pool (definately always room around the outdoor pool). I believe the ship was fully booked everything ran smoothly.

They do need to improve service in regard to special dietary needs. That was our biggest problem. Others in our party of 7 had problems with pre-booked shore excursions and errors in travel documents not matching ship records. We had one error with a bar bill which took two attempts to correct, but the change was made.

Entertainment-not so good, but worth seeing.

Go to a cocktail class with Randall. The more the merrier. The group makes it what it is but Randall is very entertaining. If he doesn't tell it, ask him about his flaming armpit story. LOL

All in all a good trip, but most likely won't be looking at HAL in the near future.

Enjoyed the Statendam and its crew, food, etc. very much in May.

I think any ship is likely to have at least one plumbing incident per trip, but they clean it up fast. They are very vigilant about cleanliness, so don't worry. You're much more likely to be bothered by the smell of chlorine bleach, as I was on the Volendam last week.

If they are still there, check out City Lights at the Ocean Bar. THE BEST entertainment I've ever had the pleasure to listen to on a cruise ship. A trio that plays the old standards.

We were on the Statendam last week (7/29/07 SB). Great Ship and crew. Captain Peter Bos was great. Took us routes many other ships don't take (At least that's what I heard from several people).

Did not notice any oders in hallways or have any plumbing problems (Main Deck (5) - inside cabin).

The Naturalist Ian Denten helped make the cruise one of the best vacations I have had in a number of years. I spent almost every sunrise out on the front deck with Ian and other wildlife watchers We wwre out there about 4 am most mornings). I spent 12 hours on deck in Glacier Bay.

Food was very good. We had salmon amost every meal. (As well as at 2 Salmon Bakes on shore excursions in Juneau and Skagway). We did a mixture of Rotterdam Dining Room and Lido. My only complaint was that the wine steward was very slow getting to our table to ask if we wanted wine. One night we had been served main sourse before he got there. We did not go to any of the shows so can't speak about entertainment.

I am just starting to go through the 960 pictures I took.

Tallcruiser2

We were on the Statendam last week (7/29/07 SB). Great Ship and crew. Captain Peter Bos was great. Took us routes many other ships don't take (At least that's what I heard from several people).

Did not notice any oders in hallways or have any plumbing problems (Main Deck (5) - inside cabin).

The Naturalist Ian Denten helped make the cruise one of the best vacations I have had in a number of years. I spent almost every sunrise out on the front deck with Ian and other wildlife watchers We wwre out there about 4 am most mornings). I spent 12 hours on deck in Glacier Bay.

Food was very good. We had salmon amost every meal. (As well as at 2 Salmon Bakes on shore excursions in Juneau and Skagway). We did a mixture of Rotterdam Dining Room and Lido. My only complaint was that the wine steward was very slow getting to our table to ask if we wanted wine. One night we had been served main sourse before he got there. We did not go to any of the shows so can't speak about entertainment.

I am just starting to go through the 960 pictures I took.

Tallcruiser2

Hi TallCruiser,

It sounds like we had nearly identical thoughts about the same cruise two weeks apart. My cruise style and priorities sound just like yours. I thought Captain Bos and Naturalist Ian Denton were fantastic. I spent tons of time on the bow, too.

Archived