Addendum to latest Maasdam review

Gustavas

I forgot to mention another annoying aspect of the voyage which really bugged us. You're welcome to read my review. HAL's past with making passenger's ill is notorious. It was almost always a HAL ship in the news. A crew member told me that since Carnival bought them, they insisted on HAL using these new hand sanitizers. They are EVERYWHERE !!!! Tacky as ever. Purrell as a matter of fact, which is overkill. Now, I am a firm believer in hot water, anti-bacterial soap and all the rest, especially in public places like cruise ships. It also amazes me how many people still don't wash their hands before eating and then lick their fingers.

I'm no stranger to sterile hands before eating and firmly believe it it but HAL, well, has gone off the deep end on the Maasdam with the hand sanitizers and pushing passengers to use them. Here we are, freshly showered and dressed to the nines for formal night, (AND CLEAN HANDS TOO) and all these waiters and stewards standing at the entrance to the Rotterdam Dining Room holding full sized dispensers of Purrell.

That's not all, they walk quickly over to everone entering the dining room and force a couple of squirts into their hands. They're militant about it, rude about it and almost insistant. It's horrible and tacky and goes with the rest of my Maasdam review.

I'm astonished at your lack of realism. Unfortunately in today's world, because of all the viruses which seem to abound, we look forward to the sanitizers which are now on ALL ships, not just HAL.

I can wash my hands, and always do, thouroughly. You say you do but how can I be sure? If you don't I'd much rather the sanitizer be there to if not eliminate, but to minimize the problem. So many don't wash!

I can monitor myself but I can't control what you do, regardless of what you claim.

I'm sorry to say that I am appalled by the number of men I see leaving the restrooms who do not wash their hands. Especially disgusting are those who leave the stalls in the men's room and still don't wash.

Purell, sanitizers, ????? Give me more.

Hello.

first of all I hate that your trip on the Maasdam didn't meet your cruising needs. I had a wonderful time on the ship and would sail her again. I know that there are postings of not so wonderful cruises and they do happen.

As for the hand sanitizers, I know from my cruises and from others who sail on the major cruiselines, that all now have the purell on the ships. Yes, I wash my hands and keep a small purell in my purse, but it's no big deal to get a small amount on your hands on something that will take only a second or two. While you might wash your hands, I know you seen people that don't and why would you want their germs because of their lack of manners?

Thank you all for the healthy opinion exchanges and your reviews on my review. I want to make a few things clear which are getting out of hand.

THE PURRELL HAND SANITIZERS:

Firstly, I am NOT OPPOSED to them or their presence. It is not what is done but how it is done. I equate luxury ocean travel and the formal dining experience with gourmet fare and classic styles. In this setting,

an era of oppulence, civility and grandeur is relived, or at least as close as possible in this age, however, the way things are done and the presentation of those things (LARGE PURRELL DISPENSERS HELD BY FORMALLY DRESSED HEAD WAITERS ETC..) is abhorrent to the mood.

For the record, once again, I FIRMLY BELIEVE IN THE HAND SANITIZERS, and loathes the pigs that refuse to wash their hands after using the toilets, (Men and women) but the way it is handled in a formal setting needs severe improvement. Imagine a formal state dinner at Buckingham Palace where Ambassadors, Premiers and Heads of State were entering being rushed upon by the militant Bali Police and squirted.

It is HOW it is handled by the ship and crew that bugs me. They are masters at interior decoration, why not master that aspect of modern neccessity also ? My perceptions of how things should be are probably best left to legend and old movies.

CALLING ME A SNOB:

One poster refers to me as a snob. Not the first time I've been paid this compliment. Really...If one is willing to pay and indeed pays a premium for the best and expecting excellent service, fine food and presentation on a ship that constantly uses the phrases "Known by discriminating travelers" "Signature of Excellence" (A joke) and "Classic Cruise experience" and hails its' 130 year legendary history as a hallmark of luxury....

......and then NOT getting anything remotely close to that makes me a snob, then I am guilty as charged. Resting on laurels is what they are doing with the marketing. Now, the Rotterdam of 1958, which my father sailed, was what today's Maasdam could only dream of being. THAT was the era of excellence.

PREMIUM MARKET VERSES MASS MARKET:

As far as I know, Holland America is mass market

Celebrity is NOT mass market, but Premium Market although their parent company RCCL is mass market.

MIDWESTERNERS AND RETIREES:

A statement of fact; as this represented the majority of the passengers on board 6/16/07 - 6/23/07. The majority seemed impressed with the food, service and cruise overall. I have NOTHING against retirees or people from the midwest.

ONBOARD BILLING:

Remember the mini-bottles filled with water that I reported and nothing was done until the last night ? (See first review) Well guess what ? Apparently HAL has billed my bank $33.00 higher than the final invoice under the door for those bottles, none of which I consumed. Amazing.

Call HAL billing dept ? For this push one, for that push two and here we go trying to resolve this. I will.

DINING:

Maasdam absolutely did not serve one inspiring meal. There is simply no comparison to Master Chef Michele Roux's cuisine in look, taste or presentaton. The French master Chef Roux and his sons operate an establishment in London which is outstanding and world renoun. For sauces, texture, flavor and presentation, there is no comparison. Dish for dish, Celebrity's food is clearly, clearly superior.

SERVICE:

This, like other aspects of cruising, is relative. Many are pleased to have a clean room and a hot meal. Some expect infinitely more. I am one of those people.

Thanks

Gustav

Gustavas, thanks for taking the time and effort to write a well-ballanced, albeit somewhat negative, review! Always nice to hear a different perspective:) (BTW, if you have extra time on your hands, may I indulge you to read the Maasdam as as Wonderful as Ever!!!! thread for an entire different perspective of that same ole' boat and cruise line)

Just a tiny comment on the Indonesian stormtroopers forcing everyone to use purell hand sanitizer upon entering the dining room and summoning the Spanish Inquisition with the comfy pillow and the washboard for those that don't comply!

Next time you're in the head,..... the public head, not you're own......., take a quick scientific survey and count how many nice folks "use the facilities" and then make a quick exit stage right without washing their hands. It will be an eye-opener and will justify the use of any hand sanitizer. See you on Maasdam!;)

Well said Copper!

I suspect the OP just loves to hear himself talk; has much time to 'fine tune' his writing and chose to post on one of THE most popular boards. He is probably overjoyed with the responses.

I hate to be seated at his table!:eek:

We haven't yet been exposed to the Purell squirt on entering the dining room - good idea tho! - no matter how 'clean' you are when exiting your accommodation, you've touched many surfaces before reaching your table.

Wonder what he would consider a suitable dispenser? Waterford Crystal perhaps?

Love that 'SPAM' picture!!!!!!:D

Sounds to me like the cat peed in somebody's cornflakes this morning . . .

On a positive note, I don't think we'll have to worry about encountering the OP on any of our future cruises with HAL!!! :rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

PREMIUM MARKET VERSES MASS MARKET:

As far as I know, Holland America is mass market

Celebrity is NOT mass market, but Premium Market although their parent company RCCL is mass market.

Thanks

Gustav

Gustav may be very familiar with ships, but is not a source when it comes to terminology of cruiseline rankings as is universally used by travel agencies. I just did a quick survey of ten travel agencies, and ten out of ten listed Celebrity and Holland America as both being in the "Premium" category. Some included Disney and Princess. Some included the Upper-Premium Azamara and Oceania. The term "mass-market" was not used by any of the agencies (Contemporary seemed to be the adjective used for Carnival, NCL, and RCCL).

I forgot to mention another annoying aspect of the voyage which really bugged us. You're welcome to read my review. HAL's past with making passenger's ill is notorious. It was almost always a HAL ship in the news. A crew member told me that since Carnival bought them, they insisted on HAL using these new hand sanitizers. They are EVERYWHERE !!!! Tacky as ever. Purrell as a matter of fact, which is overkill. Now, I am a firm believer in hot water, anti-bacterial soap and all the rest, especially in public places like cruise ships. It also amazes me how many people still don't wash their hands before eating and then lick their fingers.

I'm no stranger to sterile hands before eating and firmly believe it it but HAL, well, has gone off the deep end on the Maasdam with the hand sanitizers and pushing passengers to use them. Here we are, freshly showered and dressed to the nines for formal night, (AND CLEAN HANDS TOO) and all these waiters and stewards standing at the entrance to the Rotterdam Dining Room holding full sized dispensers of Purrell.

That's not all, they walk quickly over to everone entering the dining room and force a couple of squirts into their hands. They're militant about it, rude about it and almost insistant. It's horrible and tacky and goes with the rest of my Maasdam review.

and the problem is?

Having sailed on MAASDAM where Ive shook the monkey in the men's room only to watch u walk out without washing, Im glad.

What's worse: wife has witnessed it in women's room.

I guess some moms are better than others.

Like we say in NJ: You got a problem with that?

Gustav may be very familiar with ships, but is not a source when it comes to terminology of cruiseline rankings as is universally used by travel agencies. I just did a quick survey of ten travel agencies, and ten out of ten listed Celebrity and Holland America as both being in the "Premium" category. Some included Disney and Princess. Some included the Upper-Premium Azamara and Oceania. The term "mass-market" was not used by any of the agencies (Contemporary seemed to be the adjective used for Carnival, NCL, and RCCL).

Not to go off topic....

HAL is indeed a mass marketed cruise line, minimally in the hyper- competitive Caribbean, Mexico and Alaska markets. They market these sails to the masses. They go toe-to toe on price and often under cut the competition to fill their cabins with any demographic able to pay for it.

Then HAL morphs into a premium cruise line on longer sails, voyages. It is the cruise line with Two Heads. :)

Not to go off topic....

HAL is indeed a mass marketed cruise line, minimally in the hyper- competitive Caribbean, Mexico and Alaska markets. They market these sails to the masses. They go toe-to toe on price and often under cut the competition to fill their cabins with any demographic able to pay for it.

Then HAL morphs into a premium cruise line on longer sails, voyages. It is the cruise line with Two Heads. :)

That's putting too fine a point on the distinction. My post referred to the terminology used by cruise agencies, and is accurate.

We have been on 2 recent Celebrity Cruises, Century April 06 and just got

back from the Mercury Alaska, June 07.

My husband and I both commented that we missed HAL. On Mercury the library was tiny, no comfortable chairs, no magazines except what other people left, (Enjoy my New Yorker, you that are on the ship now).

No toiletries provided, just dispensers on the wall for lotion and shampoo, no thank you.

As for the European wait staff, we spoke at length with one of the few Europeans left, he was from Bosnia and trying to get on Crystal but he won't get on at first as a waiter.

He says the tips from Celebrity passengers are horrible. A lot of people won't show up the last night to avoid tipping.

The wait staff was 95% Indonesian but very nice and professional.

No intimate cooking demos, which are replayed on the televison systems by the way.

The televison was horrible, only CNN, no BBC or Fox, movies not replayed on television if you missed them in the theatre. No flat screen, no DVD Player.

They had the same exact episodes of Arrested Development, Family Guy, Frasier etc, on the cruise in April of 06 that were on in June of 07 (as noted by my 14 year old son.)

We are sailing on the Maasdam for 17 days on 7/7/07, and when we got off the Mercury we said boy did we miss HAL.

Questions:

1. How was the Century in April 2006

No toiletries provided, just dispensers on the wall for lotion and shampoo, no thank you.

2. What catagory and cabin class did you sail on Mercury and Century

95% Indonesian ? This is very unusual, are you talking dining room staff, stewards or mechanical crews ?

We are sailing on the Maasdam for 17 days on 7/7/07

...17 days on Maasdam all the way to the Netherlands. God bless you.

Bon Voyage. Before boarding in Boston, may I suggest "Legal Seafoods" on Long Wharf, waterfront. The freshest and most glorious shellfish on the planet. I sincerely hope you enjoy your cruise.

I think happy cruzer has the OP pegged and there really isn't any reason to continue addressing this thread.

As a Midwesterner who washes in the Loo, and a Retiree, I could not agree more.

I am responding to Gustavas questions, I do think he would be disappointed on the Mercury, it was not as nice as the Century.

We book an inside cabin, whenever we sail. We have been married 3 and one half years and have been on 9 cruises, including the one next Saturday, which is the 3rd that is two weeks or over. Some people do it other ways but we prefer to take more cruises rather than upgrade the room.

The Maasdam is our third cruise this year.

Yes the wait staff was Indonesian as was the cabin staff and the mechanical people. In my conversation with the waiter, that has changed over the past few years. The Europeans can not afford to work on the ship because of the tipping.

Been to Legal Sea Foods and it is fabulous, they ship also.

Leaving for Boston tomorrow for a few days with a friend before the cruise.

Spending a lot of time on the message boards, we live in Phoenix and it is 114 here today, can't wait to get to Greenland.

Questions:

1. How was the Century in April 2006

2. What catagory and cabin class did you sail on Mercury and Century

95% Indonesian ? This is very unusual, are you talking dining room staff, stewards or mechanical crews ?

We are sailing on the Maasdam for 17 days on 7/7/07

...17 days on Maasdam all the way to the Netherlands. God bless you.

Bon Voyage. Before boarding in Boston, may I suggest "Legal Seafoods" on Long Wharf, waterfront. The freshest and most glorious shellfish on the planet. I sincerely hope you enjoy your cruise.

It just goes to show you how opinions differ. We think Legal Seafoods is just OK and actually had a bad meal with my sister at the one in Cambridge. They do have good clam chowder..but the place is ho hum.

It just goes to show you how opinions differ. We think Legal Seafoods is just OK and actually had a bad meal with my sister at the one in Cambridge. They do have good clam chowder..but the place is ho hum.

You're absolutely right about opinions. As far as the OP's review goes, I always wonder about the motive of someone who totally trashes a cruise line. Especially when no one asked for the review in the first place.

I went on a cruise that was not what I was used to but I didn't feel a need to go blast the cruise line. Hey, I was basking in the Sun. in Feb.:p

BTW, don't care for Legal Seafoods either and I'm going to differ with you, have had better clam chowder.;)

Archived