Recomendation Private Transfer

We used Woodford Chauffeurs for our June 16th sailing - they were excellent!! We shared the transfer with another couple that we found through CC, and we were picked up at our respective hotels....very good service!

CJcruzer

we were at the Hilton London Olympia - out of the way, but I got in through Priceline and the price was right.....we had only 2 days pre-cruise in London, and one day was a full day touring, first day we went to Harrod's and the V&A Museum and then crashed in the room til dinner!!!

Next time I would probably stay more in Covent Garden/theatre district = more hapenning there, especially if you are staying on in London...

CJcruzer

We stayed at the Waldorf Hilton in the Covent Gardens/ theatre district. It was a nice hotel and convenient to much of what you'd do in London. The hotel is a bit pricy, however, we used hilton honors points, so we didn't care about the price.:D

I booked the Hilton London Tower Bridge Hotel just south of the Thames. Walking distance to London Bridge, London Tower, and several other places. Booked 2 nights for about $500. (Pricey).

Now I'm gonna go check out those London to Dover transfers. Then I have to book my flights. I'm thinkiing Virgin Air - best prices so far about $1600 for two from Los Angeles.

I'm part of a group on the 7/25/08 sailing of Carnival's new ship, Splendor. As part of my planning, I got some quotes from Red Hat Travel (www.redhattravel.co.uk) for various transfers. I had seen postive comments from other Cruise Critic members regarding Red Hat Travel. Since we haven't finalized our plans yet, I got various quotes, as shown below.

1. Transfer for 8 people with luggage for a cruise from either Heathrow or Gatwick airport to a central London hotel? Heathrow would be around 80 pounds,

Gatwick would be around 100 pounds.

2. Transfer for 8 people with luggage for a cruise from a central London hotel to the cruise terminal in Dover? This would be around 170 pounds.

3. Transfer for 8 people with luggage for a cruise from the cruise terminal in Dover to either Heathrow or Gatwick airport? This would be around 170 pounds to

Gatwick and 190 pounds to Heathrow.

4. Transfer for 8 people with luggage for a cruise from the cruise terminal in Dover to a central London hotel? This would be the same as 2 above.

We have a vehicle that can accommodate all 8 people but we would have to use a trailer for all of the luggage - I suspect you will have a lot!

The above covers all costs.

I hope this info helps.

John

We're sailing on Constellation on Sept. 1st, staying at the Marriott County Hall pre-cruise. Great reviews here and on TripAdvisor. Others are staying at The Rubens at the Palace - also great reviews.

Barb

John - have you booked a hotel yet and where are you staying? Thanks for all the info.

Suzys,

Haven't booked a hotel, yet. Still waiting to see how many couples we have going on the cruise. We started out with six booked, but one had to cancel. Now, we may have three other couples that are interested. In addition, need to decide whether to do a pre-cruise or post-cruise stay in London. In 2005, when we did the Liberty Med cruise, we did a 3-day pre-cruise stay in Rome and one day post-cruise. This time, I think it would be better to do a few days post-cruise and just fly in the day before the cruise. My wife and I are really looking forward to seeing London again. Our last visit was our honeymoon in the fall of 1967.

John

John - that's what we might do a post-stay in London this time, the past two cruises were from Citavecchia and we stayed in Rome a day before and it seemed so much easier to get to, now going out of Dover seems so far from London. I have no idea where to stay.

Barb - do you know how far it would be to get to Dover to the cruise terminal?

I don't know the mileage but think anywhere one stays in London is going to be around 2 hours to the pier. We're getting picked up at 9:00 am, picking up another 2 couples at a different hotel, and then heading to Dover. They said we should arrive there around 11:30.

Woodford charges 145 pounds for the van plus another 30 pounds for a trailer to haul our luggage.

John - that's what we might do a post-stay in London this time, the past two cruises were from Citavecchia and we stayed in Rome a day before and it seemed so much easier to get to, now going out of Dover seems so far from London. I have no idea where to stay.

Suzys,

You're right about it being so much easier to get to the cruise terminal from Rome. In 2005, I arranged for a bus to pick 16 of us up at the hotel to take us to the cruise terminal and then to also pick us up at the cruise terminal and take us back to several different hotels in Rome. The cost was so good--the equivalent of about $24 per person each way compared to the $65 Carnival wanted for the transfer each way. The transfers will definitely be more to get to and from Dover, even arranging them through a private party instead of using Carnival's. I'm guessing that Carnival will probably be charging in the $80 range, if not more.

From what I've seen, it looks like the cruise terminal in Dover is about 80 miles from Gatwick and about lthe same distance from central London. I'm guessing that it'll be about a 2 hour drive to either place. Let me know if you find a good hotel in London. My e-mail is jhuntgolf@earthlink.net. Thanks.

John

Archived