Crown Docking in San Juan - Nee Advice

Solara

We are on the Crown in October. How far is it to the airport by taxi from the dock and what would be the cost???? It's $15 per person for Princess transfers would that be better? Thanks

I don't know the distance, but for the convenience of using Princess I would. It's only 15. Just what I would do.

We took the Princess transfers to the airport in February. If I had to do it over again we would have taken a taxi.

The buses hired by Princess got us to the airport without a hitch, but it's a bit of a mob scene waiting in line, making sure they get your luggage on the bus, and then waiting to leave the port area. It was quite crowded with long lines.

For two people a taxi might be less expensive vs. the transfers and it would definitely be less hectic.

Either way you'll get to the airport...

Lew

I have never used Princess Transportation on arrival as we always come in a day early but have used them for departure out of FLL. It was worth it.

When we arrived in SJU last time we took a cab to our hotel. You queue up and the line can be long, although they do have a great dispatch system there. They do charge extra for each piece of luggage.

But for your purposes of getting right to the ship, I would go for Princess.:)

We sailed out of San Juan in Feb of this year and the cab fare was $25.00 including tip. It is easier to cab as there is sometimes a delay with the Princess (or other Cruiselines) in gathering enough people for a bus load. Have a nice cruise

Our travel agent, based on personal experience and feedback from his clients, recommended taking a taxi instead of booking the Princess transfers. He said not having to wait for the bus to fill up is more than worth it, and for two people it would be the same price or cheaper. So that's our plan when we go in October. :)

If it is just two of you, take a cab- they are plentiful at the airport. It's about a 15 minute ride and $20 - $25.

We took the transfers because we had a group of 8 people - we had to wait for the bus to fill up and then went. Those in cabs got picked up right away and delivered right to the area to drop off their luggage.

We were dropped off further away.

In SanJuan taxis are much more convenient and are regulated. As I recall the fare from the dock to the ship was around 25 dollars for 4 people and 9 or 10 bags. They do charge extra for each bag. When you have retrieved your bags, simply go outside and you will find a taxi kiosk, clearly marked. The attendant will ask your destination, and then give you a chit with the fare clearly stated. That is given to the driver when you pay your fare. It is a good system. The same is true when you return, there will be an attendant at the dock to tell you the fare to whatever destination you are going to.

Take the taxi by all means. As jak378 said they are regulated and orderly. Haven't done for a year or 2 and forget the exact price but I think about $25. I believe you're allowed 1 bag and they charge (I think) $.50 per additional bag.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I want to take a taxi but DH doesn't like not knowing what they cost. Since you know ahead of time should be fine with him.

I assume you mean that he wants to know 'up front' what the cost of the cab is ...so there are no "problems?". Am I right? When you get in the line for the cab, someone asks where you are going and how many bags you have. They then write you out a ticket. This is how you know how much it will be. It is very regulated. It is a set price from point A to point B, with a small charge for each bag. Take a cab, it's much faster and easier.

Janet

We watched lines of people waiting to get on the bus to get to the airport after our cruise in April. The cab for us was abaout $25 and we had 5 people. It's about 15 minutes. The cabs are well regulated and the system runs like clockwork. Much better than the Princess transfers.

My advice is to take a cab. They are plentiful, there's isn't a wait, and it's a lot more relaxing. That was our mode of transportation. Just be sure to ask the price prior to the ride, which is usually about $20. Enjoy the cruise!

Puerto Rico's Tourism Bureau is great. The usually have attendants at the taxi lines. You know before you get in the car what your fare will be. We only use Princess Transfers these days in foreign ports ... but PR is still USA (and it's a prize IMO).

Archived