As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

Folks;

Since this will be my first Holland America cruise and being a big water drinker, can you let me know if they provide fresh water each day along with the ice bucket? And if yes, is it good tasting water? I know Princess does not, but Celebrity does. If not, I will bring bottle water.

Thanks

Choosing to work for a cruise line or any other company should not mean that you are treated in a rude and obnoxious manner. Yet time and time again I have seen the manner in which some passengers express their requests and it is most assuredly not in a "nice way".

"Vacation of a lifetime" is a marketing phrase ... nothing more.

Do you pay for service? Of course. But there are now generally over 2000 people on a ship at one time. So there will be times that your every need cannot be met. When someone has a specific need such as the one described, it really is better to confirm in advance that they can and will be accommodated.

Hi Heather,

I agree, many passengers are rude, and no one deserves to be treated with disrespect.

If we only booked when we had it confirmed in advanced - HAL would never see our business again.

My objections are to that fake, useless, and horrible marketing phrase 'Vacation of a lifetime'. To me, it's about a as genuine as the 'inch of gold' they sell in the gift shops.

My struggle with the AYW dining is not that HAL is trying thier best to accommodate everyone wishes, it's the fact that it's being marketed as if they are taking care of everyone wishes. The truth is that you cannot, there will be people who are not getting what they wished/wanted.

As Judge Judy says "Madame, don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining"!!!

Folks;

Since this will be my first Holland America cruise and being a big water drinker, can you let me know if they provide fresh water each day along with the ice bucket? And if yes, is it good tasting water? I know Princess does not, but Celebrity does. If not, I will bring bottle water.

Thanks

I'm not sure why you posted this question in this thread, but I'll try to answer it anyway. HAL does not provide free bottled water in the cabins. It's there, but if you drink it you have to pay for it.

Everything I have read says that the ship's tap water is clean, pure, and safe to drink. I drink a lot of water too - filtered at home, bottled when my home water isn't available - and HAL's tap water tasted fine to me. You're welcome to bring bottled water, but IMHO, it's totally unnecessary. And disposing of the bottles is becoming a big environmental problem. If you're really that concerned, maybe bring a Brita filter pitcher instead, and one refillable bottle to carry around with you? Less weight and bulk for you to carry, plus less waste, less plastic, better for the environment.

Re: Water ..... My Steward always filled my ice bucket every morning and every night. It melted through the day and combined with tap I found it fine.

Hi Heather,

..............My objections are to that fake, useless, and horrible marketing phrase 'Vacation of a lifetime'. To me, it's about a as genuine as the 'inch of gold' they sell in the gift shops.

Can't disagree!!!:) Ya gotta love that 'inch of gold', mais non? Made the mistake ONCE of buying 7 inches of that stuff. It was black practically before I got home;) .

As to marketing phrases and gimmicks, I ignore them the same way I ignore most advertising. It's all nonsense and nothing is what they say it is. If it were, I'd look like Heather Locklear right now. I don't;) .

As to marketing phrases and gimmicks, I ignore them the same way I ignore most advertising. It's all nonsense and nothing is what they say it is.

Well ... ah ... I have, indeed, had "the vacation of a lifetime" aboard HAL cruises. Several, in fact! :) South America/Antarctica ranks up there as one of the most amazing vacations I've ever had. So have my Hawaii cruises and my cruise through the Panama Canal in 2004.

But, I agree ... it's overused.

Greg, sorry if it looked like I was suggesting it COULDN'T be the vacation of a lifetime. I've had several of those, too:) (both on HAL and other lines) ... sometimes each one better than the last just when you thought it couldn't happen.

I only meant to say there's certainly no guarantee just because the advertising suggests that it's going to be. Also, some folks demand a bit more than others to make it the vacation of a lifetime;) .

Me ... I'm easy. As I always say, put me on a boat and push me out to sea:D

Well ... ah ... I have, indeed, had "the vacation of a lifetime" aboard HAL cruises. Several, in fact! :) South America/Antarctica ranks up there as one of the most amazing vacations I've ever had. So have my Hawaii cruises and my cruise through the Panama Canal in 2004.

But, I agree ... it's overused.

Greg I love seeing your pictures and I have found some in Ruth's Happy Wanderer Thread, but do you have a link to the Jan 2008 South America/Antarctica trip. Please don't tell me I'm blind and missing totally!

Thanks,

Dianne

Just two observations after reading the posts on this thread:

1) This will be our fourth HAL cruise. We did three in consecutive years (W. Caribbean, E. Caribbean, Mexican Riviera), follow by an NCL cruise to Alaska last year. While the "Freestyle Cruising" was interesting and offered some variety of cuisines, we found we missed the consistency of having the same table (and wait staff) each night. Also, having to make same-day reservations for the more popular dining venues was a real pain-in-the-you-know-what. We were really looking forward to experiencing HAL's "traditional dining" again this year - and now it looks like we might not. We're not even sure that we're "waitlisted" at this point - we still need to work that one out. I can say, though, that we're not thrilled...!

2) I don't understand why HAL decided to "waitlist" passengers wanting fixed dining. If the demand is there, why not assign tables to as many as request them, and then use the remaining tables for those requesting AYWD? Apparently the ships without two-level dining rooms are able to accommodate a mixture in the same space. The goal should be to provide what passengers actually want, not force-fit them into some preconceived allocation of space.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get an early seating table assignment before the cruise or on the day of departure. We like to eat early, catch the late show, play some Trivia, then head to bed. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Just two observations after reading the posts on this thread:

1) This will be our fourth HAL cruise. We did three in consecutive years (W. Caribbean, E. Caribbean, Mexican Riviera), follow by an NCL cruise to Alaska last year. While the "Freestyle Cruising" was interesting and offered some variety of cuisines, we found we missed the consistency of having the same table (and wait staff) each night. Also, having to make same-day reservations for the more popular dining venues was a real pain-in-the-you-know-what. We were really looking forward to experiencing HAL's "traditional dining" again this year - and now it looks like we might not. We're not even sure that we're "waitlisted" at this point - we still need to work that one out. I can say, though, that we're not thrilled...!

2) I don't understand why HAL decided to "waitlist" passengers wanting fixed dining. If the demand is there, why not assign tables to as many as request them, and then use the remaining tables for those requesting AYWD? Apparently the ships without two-level dining rooms are able to accommodate a mixture in the same space. The goal should be to provide what passengers actually want, not force-fit them into some preconceived allocation of space.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get an early seating table assignment before the cruise or on the day of departure. We like to eat early, catch the late show, play some Trivia, then head to bed. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I agree. We just booked the Veendam and are now "confirmed" for open seating -- had to call to make sure we were still waitlisted for late seating. "For a table of six?" the customer service agent said. I replied, "I don't care how big the table is as long as I know it's the same table at the same time each night. If I wanted Freestyle dining, I'd cruise Norwegian."

Argggh.

I agree with the above 2 posts. I suggest that you consider having your travel agent inform HAL that the traditional dinning is required to secure your reservation. If not, which to another carrier as I did. Suggest Celebrity, very nice.

Apparently HAL does not pay attention to passengers complaints about this subject. Good luck.

I booked the Westerdam a couple of weeks ago (July 27th sailing) and they said we will have AYWD and waitlisting is not an option. We prefer traditional seating.

We did open seating on the Journey this past May and we able to request the same table, at the same time, each night -- problem solved.

If I visit the maitre 'd when I first board the ship; can they set up a fixed time, with a fixed wait staff in the AYWD dining area? We will request a table for two.

We did Princess once with the open seating and it was not a good situation. People are coming and going the whole time and during the first formal night they sat ten mid-school age kids next to our table. There were no adults in their group and you can imagine how that played out. :rolleyes: That was our last Princess cruise.

Celebrity is looking better and better, however, I've heard they are going to offer some type of open seating on their new Solstice Class ships. I just hope it is in a completely different dining area!!

It will be interesting to see if this whole experiment turns out to be a huge mistake?? To me, the number one tradition in cruising is the dining experience. I'm very open to new ideas, and there are plently of options out there for people wishing this type on dining option, I just think it is a mistake for HAL. Time will tell.

Kel

We did open seating on the Journey this past May and we able to request the same table, at the same time, each night -- problem solved.

If I visit the maitre 'd when I first board the ship; can they set up a fixed time, with a fixed wait staff in the AYWD dining area? We will request a table for two.

Kel

We were wait listed for the 2nd seating and spoke with the DM as soon as we boarded, at first he didn't want to change us from AYW, but then we used the magic words CRUISE CRITIC. Voila, no sooner had we mentioned this then a table for 2 at the late seating appeared available and we were assigned.

On my recent Oosterdam cruise, there were tons of empty tables and seats at the 8 pm seating. Don't know if they were empty, or the folks got re-assigned to AYW or they opted for the Lido or Pinnacle.

Roz

We were wait listed for the 2nd seating and spoke with the DM as soon as we boarded, at first he didn't want to change us from AYW, but then we used the magic words CRUISE CRITIC. Voila, no sooner had we mentioned this then a table for 2 at the late seating appeared available and we were assigned.

How does one use these magic words? Just murmur "Cruise Critic" into the DMs ear? Do you have to say that you will be posting a review on Cruise Critic? Flash your cruise critic lapel pin?

Of course, the bottom line is that obviously there was a table available or you couldn't have had it. Like with the old joke ("If the King showed up, would you find him a table for two?" "But of course, sir." "Well, I just heard that the King isn't coming, so give me his table."), SOMEONE gets these tables. Who exactly was he saving it for?

How does one use these magic words? Just murmur "Cruise Critic" into the DMs ear? Do you have to say that you will be posting a review on Cruise Critic? Flash your cruise critic lapel pin?

Of course, the bottom line is that obviously there was a table available or you couldn't have had it. Like with the old joke ("If the King showed up, would you find him a table for two?" "But of course, sir." "Well, I just heard that the King isn't coming, so give me his table."), SOMEONE gets these tables. Who exactly was he saving it for?

On the oosterdam we saw there was several tables open at the late seating. When we requested we be moved, the DM and his assist both said "Stay with AYW and you'll have more flexibility". That wasn't a concern for us.

When we mentioned the stories we'd hear on this board and wanted traditional, poof!!! there's a table for 2 late seating...

When we requested we be moved, the DM and his assist both said "Stay with AYW and you'll have more flexibility".

And we're supposed to believe that no one is being "guided" or "pushed", or "coerced", or "forced" into open sitting. :rolleyes:

....... and the beat goes on. None of this surprises me. I really think I should get work as a soothsayer:) . One of the benefits of growing older is that you begin to know when you are being led down the garden path. If they make the other path unattractive enough, they figure sooner or later you'll choose the path they've chosen for you.

There are some, though, who won't bite. There are some who will say (as someone suggested) .... "sorry, not being confirmed for Traditional Dining is a deal breaker" and move to another cruise line.

That would be me. And it makes me sad because I've yet to find another line who offers ships like Prinsendam, Maasdam, Veendam, etc., in a similar price range. I'll keep watching to see how it all plays out, but so far I'm not impressed.

....... and the beat goes on. None of this surprises me. I really think I should get work as a soothsayer:) . One of the benefits of growing older is that you begin to know when you are being led down the garden path. If they make the other path unattractive enough, they figure sooner or later you'll choose the path they've chosen for you.

There are some, though, who won't bite. There are some who will say (as someone suggested) .... "sorry, not being confirmed for Traditional Dining is a deal breaker" and move to another cruise line.

That would be me. And it makes me sad because I've yet to find another line who offers ships like Prinsendam, Maasdam, Veendam, etc., in a similar price range. I'll keep watching to see how it all plays out, but so far I'm not impressed.

I'm with you on this Heather. Not getting traditional is a deal breaker for me as well. I like Princess quite a bit and have been going with them more and more.

Without reading all 1300+ posts on this thread, I thought they I would add my comment.

We thought that we would try HAL after sailing on several other lines. I was amazed that when our group of 6 booked 11 months ahead, that we were "waitlisted" for early dining. A major enjoyment for us has been interacting with the waitor and assistan waitor.

We have primarily sailed on Princess. I find it amzing that on Princess, and now on HAL, their is always a "waitlist" for traditional dining, but never a waitlist for open seating. If open seating was that popular, you would think there would be a wailist for it and everyone else would be stuck in traditional.

I also find it amzing that the mass market cruislines always take a "one size fits all approach. One might think that if HAL had stuck with traditional dining that Princess cruisers would could not secure traditional seating might be tempted to book HAL.

When we have booked Princess in the past, we refused the booking if we could not be confirmed in traditional seating. Due to scheduling, we will stick with this HAL cruise. However, I would never book a future HAL cruise if I could not be confirmed in traditional seating at the time of booking.

On a Princess cruise in 2006, their was a foul up and while 6 of our group of 9 were secheduled for traditional, the other three were in "anytime." We worked it out with the Matre Di, for a 6:00 PM reservation in one of the "anytime" dining rooms at the same table with the same waitstaff. While the dinners were enjoyable, there was a constant interuption as people from the surrounding tables came and went. It is my understanding that this option is not available on HAL. It is my understanding that is we get stuck in open seating, that we must call and make a reservation each night and that it wouold only be luck that we had the same waitstaff twice.

I agree. We just booked the Veendam and are now "confirmed" for open seating -- had to call to make sure we were still waitlisted for late seating. "For a table of six?" the customer service agent said. I replied, "I don't care how big the table is as long as I know it's the same table at the same time each night. If I wanted Freestyle dining, I'd cruise Norwegian."

Argggh.

Now that I've had THREE different conversations with Holland America -- this time, over my disappearing Mariner number in my online profile -- I take every opportunity to tell them what a BAD idea this is. Since when was planning for dinner such a bad thing for people?

The last agent said, sympathetically -- oh, but you're 38th in line for Traditional Late -- you won't have any problems getting in.

From her mouth to God's ears. Now we can only hope the couple who's considering going with us can do the same seating, or we'll have to go AWOL (or whatever it is) anyway! That would serve me right, wouldn't it?

:o

Wow! This thread is still strong after .....what is it a year?

After cruising with Cunard for the past three years we were thinking of returing to HAL for either the Canada/New England run or an Alaska cruise in possibly 2009. Those two iteniaries have yet to be done and we would prefer HAL over many of the other lines that do those runs as HAL was the line that got us interested in cruising in the first place and I consider it good value for your money.

However.........as a person who doesn't want to fight constantly for a seat each night for dinner the AYWD scares me somewhat and reading these posts on how its perceived to be not working (or working for some) just makes the matter worse. Is the waitlisting and the whole process really that bad?

I know the Pinnacle Grill is an alternative but who can eat the same food over and over again and at an extra cost. Also, we are more of the dining room types and thus not big on Lido dining.

My question now is what happens when someone requests traditional dining, is waitlisted and then finds out that there are too many and they cannot get it and are "forced" to do AYWD? Seems unfair to those who pay all this money and reserve a long time in advance only to not get what they paid for. Does this happen often or are we just hearing more scare tactics over unusual circumstances rather than the norm? Just curious as its something I will need to research further.

David

David,

I had traditional dining on my recent cruise, but was very interested in how AYW was going. I went out of my way to talk to passengers in AYW to get their impressions. Honestly, I was surprised to hear the positive responses I got. At least on the cruise I was on (Oosterdam March 8-15), passengers did not, to use your words, have to "constantly fight" each night for a table. It seems like the process developed its own rythm.

My traditonal dining mates left a lot to be desired (worst table I've had), and at times I wistfully wished I had chosen AYW so that I could dine alone without being subjected to biting remarks and insults. I considered just opting for the Lido.

Roz

Everyone has to keep in mind, CruiseCritic is a very, very small percentage of cruises.

Also, people are much more likely to go out of their way to criticize than praise something - hence you'll get MANY more "AYWD is the worst invention ever" than "AYWD works well and is a nice option."

And, AYWD is no different than the Pinnacle, where you still have to make a reservation for each day if you wished to dine there each evening.

David,

I had traditional dining on my recent cruise, but was very interested in how AYW was going. I went out of my way to talk to passengers in AYW to get their impressions. Honestly, I was surprised to hear the positive responses I got. At least on the cruise I was on (Oosterdam March 8-15), passengers did not, to use your words, have to "constantly fight" each night for a table. It seems like the process developed its own rythm.

My traditonal dining mates left a lot to be desired (worst table I've had), and at times I wistfully wished I had chosen AYW so that I could dine alone without being subjected to biting remarks and insults. I considered just opting for the Lido.

Roz

Just wondering if you could have switched from traditional to anytime once on board. When I was on the Ryndam we received letters saying that we could make a one time switch from traditional to anytime. Is that option still available?