As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

It may also tell us how few passengers are finding that AYW dining is an issue about which to complain.

Ah, but when one of them finally does post, and they will, how many will seize upon the 1/18,000 as validation that AYW is a dismal failure?

If memory serves me, the AYW esperiement on the Oosterdam was about a month long.

Well, yes and no. The test that was actually AYWD might have been only a month long, but a lot of different tests were going on aboard the Oosterdam for more than a year and all that variation caused lots of confusion, as well as confusion among a lot of people as to what was actually going on. I'm glad that's over.

I had not considered before this very moment, that hearing back from only 5 posters, representing about 18,000 lower berths throughout the YTD Alaskan season (assuming half the passengers dined in AYW) , tells us how few HAL passengers are posting, on this board.

It may also be that very few of our numbers: (1) have cruised Alaska aboard the Noordam this year, and/or (2) had AYW rather than Traditional. While GmaPajama has chopped off the May, June, July, and August listings, September does still remain. During the entire month I could only find 3 CCers listed as cruising on the Noordam in September in Alaska ... out 17 doing Alaska and 31 doing something else (Europe, Asia, Panama Canal, etc). I was surprised at only 17 being listed as doing Alaska, while 31 are doing other things. That seems a bit strange in and of itself. One would think that there would be more people doing Alsska than doing other things ... but that's not the case (at least, not in the months of September).

Yes, we represent a small number of cruisers ... we've always known that ... but I think the figures indicate we're even thinner when it comes to Alaska ... and thinner still when it coms to just one ship in Alaska ... than we are in some other regions and at other times of the year.

He's just trying to impress by framing his response that way. :) Nothing new there ... he's done that before, and from what I'm told from people who've known him for a while on other boards, it's par for the course with him. As you have done -- and done well, might I add -- just read through the verbiage and don't allow it to snow or intimidate you.

I know, Greg;) ... there was just a hint of sarcasm in my post:) . And many thanks for seeing my logic!!!

As far as people reporting back from their cruises where the AYW/Traditional choice is in effect, I would expect any CCers who have been concerned about the AYW choice would give us all the benefit of their experience whether it be positive or negative.

So it's my guess that the lack of any comments about it is more due to the very limited number of CCers cruising since AYW went into effect.

I'm reasonably certain that we all are hoping that the availability of choice is a huge success. We're not looking for it to fail ... we're looking for it to succeed!!! I'm not sure why no one seems to get that. None of this is about failure.

We just want to be able to book a cruise, choose Traditional dining and get it ... nothing more. That's all this has ever been about.:)

Although I am confirmed for early traditional dining on my upcoming cruise, I did it because eating at 8pm is too late for us, and we want traditional dining with all the things that implies, like the same steward, same table, same table mates(even though we like a table for 2). I would much prefer eating around 7pm, but because no one has reported back about AYWD, I don't know if I can get the table for two I want, no hassle reservations, no standing in line, and the same steward every night. No one has even reported what it's like to make a reservation. Do you need to do that only once for the whole cruise or every day? I too wish some people who have experienced this, good or bad, would report in and let us know how it's going.

Although I am confirmed for early traditional dining on my upcoming cruise, I did it because eating at 8pm is too late for us, and we want traditional dining with all the things that implies, like the same steward, same table, same table mates(even though we like a table for 2). I would much prefer eating around 7pm, but because no one has reported back about AYWD, I don't know if I can get the table for two I want, no hassle reservations, no standing in line, and the same steward every night. No one has even reported what it's like to make a reservation. Do you need to do that only once for the whole cruise or every day? I too wish some people who have experienced this, good or bad, would report in and let us know how it's going.

MamaofAmi: Although the dining situation is not highly detailed, here's PurpleNorway's post regarding her Noordam cruise just a couple of weeks ago. If you scroll about halfway down, you will see her paragraph regarding her family's dining experience. It's not much info, but I think every little bit helps:) .

Karin

So it's my guess that the lack of any comments about it is more due to the very limited number of CCers cruising since AYW went into effect.

Exactly ... and, specifically, the limited number of CCers who have been on the ONE ship (the Noordam) where AYW has been put into effect (and the Oosterdam, of course, where it was tested and then withdrawn). Once it goes into effect aboard the Ryndam, and the rest of the ships of the fleet, over the next 8 months, we'll really start seeing reports ... from both sides.

I know that, if I were to be placed into AYW and had a good experience nevertheless, I would honestly give my impressions and experinece. I did that during one of the very first dining tests aboard the Oosterdam in 2006, and I would do that here too.

MamaofAmi: Although the dining situation is not highly detailed, here's PurpleNorway's post regarding her Noordam cruise just a couple of weeks ago. If you scroll about halfway down, you will see her paragraph regarding her family's dining experience. It's not much info, but I think every little bit helps:) .

Thank you so much for the link. Yes, I agree, every little bit helps.

I too wish some people who have experienced this, good or bad, would report in and let us know how it's going.

Carol, I had AYW in May. It was fine- no lines- no waits.

Sometimes we asked for a table for three. Other times, we wanted to be seated with others and they sat us with another family of three that had just been seated.

I think experiences will vary, over time as they do with fixed seating.

Carol, I had AYW in May. It was fine- no lines- no waits.

Sometimes we asked for a table for three. Other times, we wanted to be seated with others and they sat us with another family of three that had just been seated.

I think experiences will vary, over time as they do with fixed seating.

How would you gauge the level of service?

Thanks, Hammy. For this cruise, I think we'll leave it the way it is, and then reconsider for the next one. Choice is what this is really all about, and everyone getting what they want.

I am neutral on the topic and have no preference. I am however, one of the few frequent posters who tried it.

I generally enjoy getting to know people at a large table. My DH however, prefers my company.;) For this, I am grateful.

I'm sorry; maybe my brain hasn't clicked in yet but I have no idea what you're saying.
Nah, it's probably the manner in which I write technical reports -- I've been trained to word things so as not to offend.

I understand, of course, that from cruise to cruise the numbers wanting one or the other choice will vary. But even then, if the numbers are correct we should not read here over and over that passengers cannot get Traditional dining.
Sorry, but actually, because the numbers wanting one or the other choice varies from cruise to cruise, that should result in occasions when passenger cannot get their choice. That's basic queuing theory.

I think my implication is definitely logical. We are told by Bruce Muzz (who I'm confident knows what he's talking about given his association) that 65% of the people want some form of open dining.
The issue was that the implication didn't factor in variance which is inherent in all natural and social systems.

If that's the case, that is what they will choose when presented with 2 options. So on average there should be plenty of room for those who wish Traditional
That is correct. What you said before was not "on average" but rather you said, "absolutely"... there is a big difference between "on average" and "absolutely"!!!

and there's really no reason for waitlists when booking a year out.
Indeed there is a reason for waitlists long in advance -- two reasons really. One may be that many folks tend to book cruises early and for all we know it could be the "traditionalists" who book earliest. However, the more important reason may be that the cruise line may want to leave their options open -- that they plan to consider reacting to the waiting list at some point, perhaps to reconfigure the dining rooms one way or another either restoring some tables to traditional or taking more tables away from traditional.

Ah, but when one of them finally does post, and they will, how many will seize upon the 1/18,000 as validation that AYW is a dismal failure?
Yes, that's my especial concern -- taking anecdotal information out of context -- and this goes back to the poll in the other thread. It amazes me that people latch onto the least valid indicators and ignore the most valid indicator: The actions the cruise line takes based on the hard, valid numbers they have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherInFlorida viewpost.gif

I understand, of course, that from cruise to cruise the numbers wanting one or the other choice will vary. But even then, if the numbers are correct we should not read here over and over that passengers cannot get Traditional dining.

Bicker:

Sorry, but actually, because the numbers wanting one or the other choice varies from cruise to cruise, that should result in occasions when passenger cannot get their choice. That's basic queuing theory.

Bicker, you'll note I said "over and over". It should not be constant or all the time. I have not waited on queue in 25 years of cruising (either on board or when booking my dining preference) and I won't start now. It's that simple.

I really don't care what they do, how many choices they give us, but if I have to start standing on line either to get my personal choice of dining or to get dinner, I'm going to be miserable. I won't do it now in restaurants and I won't do it on a cruise.

If others want to do it, fine ... that has nothing to do with me:) .

It's always fun to beat these things to death when we really have no idea how it will play out. I still think we'll really know how it's going on average, for the most part, the majority of the time:) ..... after the next next year or so. Until then, we really won't know.

One experience last May or one experience or two recently in Alaska does not give us a true perspective.

The discussion is interesting, and sometimes challenging, but it's all hypothetical because it just hasn't been in play long enough for us to have even a clue about how successful it will be.

Bicker, you'll note I said "over and over". It should not be constant or all the time. I have not waited on queue in 25 years of cruising (either on board or when booking my dining preference) and I won't start now. It's that simple.

I understood your meaning, Heather, quite clearly. And, you are correct. As you said, given the circumstances described it should be a fairly unusual event that people can't receive Traditional dining "as they wish" it. True, extreme fluctuations in the passenger census will, on occasion, produce instances where such happens, but on average it should not be a recurring, frequent issue. Not if the Line is implementing the program as-promised and with sufficient flexibility to handle a certain degree of anticipated (i.e., and "normal") variation. I certainly hope this turns out to be the case ... and, frankly, I expect it to be so. At least, I'm willing to be hopeful in that expectation.

Me, too, Greg. Starting up anything new always brings problems at the outset that straighten out over time and I'm confident that's what will happen here.

I just hope that if we're wrong and HAL finds difficulty juggling the "choice" aspect that they won't make a change in favor or 100% AYW. I'm not so stupid to think that isn't a strong possibility.

Bicker, you'll note I said "over and over".
People rarely mention it when they don't have a problem.

if I have to start standing on line either to get my personal choice of dining or to get dinner, I'm going to be miserable. I won't do it now in restaurants and I won't do it on a cruise.
Since you drew the parallel, let's talk about restaurants. Here in Burlington, you do wait, sometimes quite a long time, for a table at a restaurant. You may not choose to do so, but I think the issue is that far more than enough people do choose to do so, that where restaurants can operate "that way" most efficiently they can do so profitably, and shall do so.

If others want to do it, fine ... that has nothing to do with me:) .
But it does; Because others are willing to do so, and reward the restaurants in sufficient numbers, that is going to govern (limit) what offerings are made available to you.

. Starting up anything new always brings problems at the outset that straighten out over time and I'm confident that's what will happen here.

I agree, Heather. Imagine the passenger outcry had there been an Internet and CC when HAL went from single to dual seating? Imagine what people said about the LIDO concept- perhaps the single greatest change, ever to the passenger onboard experience.

And as hot a potato as AYW is now, it pales in comparison to the introduction of the VISTA Class, the sur- charge restaurant concept and auto tipping. This too shall pass.