As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

I cannot believe that a discussion can go on so long about something that has not yet started and may not even affect those on traditional dining. I am sure that HAL are going into the new programme to try and suit the needs of all passengers, why not just wait and see what happens when it is fully operational.

I couldn't agree with more "mancunian". It not make any sense. Wait till it has happened and then make your comments on it. It may be the greatest thing to ever happen to dining experience on a Hal ship. The main thing I am concerned about is that I will get dinner some way or time and of course thing is to meet and enjoy the company of my dinnermates.

I agree completely with boards and mancunian. However, the very fact that people are still reading this thread and posting suggests it's still worthy of discussion and conjecture.

It's human nature to worry about change. No one here believes they know the outcome, but it's a message board. It's a place to express opinion.

As is so often written here on the board, no one is forced to read a thread. We can leave at any time, but no one poster can say when it's time to end no matter how hard we try.

It will end when it ends:) .

And I agree with YOU, Heather.

Heather I just noticed your little hanging cheerleader :eek:

(Please tell me it isn't supposed to be you???) :eek: Or maybe all the cheerleaders? It's a little startling. :D

It looks like ( gulp) me, but I'm still here.

Actually, I think it hysterical. Nice job, Heather.

You're the first to mention it!!!!!:D Actually, the hanging cheerleader is all in good fun and sort of my way of laughing at myself.

It was sent to me by a very good friend here on the CC boards. He suggested I could use it as my avatar, but I would miss my little Molly. So I put in my signature just for a laugh.

I really love her!!!! It's definitely not all the cheerleaders because I applaud and support anyone who cheers for what they love. It is actually me. It shouldn't upset anyone because it's a joke on me. Some people will get it, some won't, but nothing about it is serious:D .

You're the first to mention it!!!!!:D Actually, the hanging cheerleader is all in good fun and sort of my way of laughing at myself.

It was sent to me by a very good friend here on the CC boards. He suggested I could use it as my avatar, but I would miss my little Molly. So I put in my signature just for a laugh.

I really love her!!!! It's definitely not all the cheerleaders because I applaud and support anyone who cheers for what they love. It is actually me. It shouldn't upset anyone because it's a joke on me. Some people will get it, some won't, but nothing about it is serious:D .

I think I do get it, Heather. ;) It's another reason I admire you, for your sense of humor! (besides how you stand up for others, your tact, etc. etc.)! :)

I'm glad this has become a 'sticky' ......it can be ignored!

We're definitely against AYW dining. However, HAL and other lines will do what's best for the 'bottom line'.:(

With all the hassles of air travel these days, we're winding down on cruising anyway so will limit ourselves to ships/lines still offering and confirming 'traditional dining' .

I couldn't agree with more "mancunian". It not make any sense. Wait till it has happened and then make your comments on it. It may be the greatest thing to ever happen to dining experience on a Hal ship. The main thing I am concerned about is that I will get dinner some way or time and of course thing is to meet and enjoy the company of my dinnermates.

And for those of us that prefer to skip the tablemate experience, and dine just the two of us, (perfect tablemates every time!) at a time we choose, it is a welcome change.....

Judy

Just noticed and love the dead cheerleader!:D

Good one Heather.

Mark....

Ditto !!

ROTFLMAO !!!! :D This is the funniest thing I have seen on this board in a long time.

Thank you!!!! It can be read so many ways it seems some are offended, but I can't imagine why. It's all in good fun and there's certainly no harm intended.

As I said, I can't take the credit. It was sent to me by a friend and I have no idea who actually created it.:)

Thank you!!!! It can be read so many ways it seems some are offended, but I can't imagine why. It's all in good fun and there's certainly no harm intended.

Heather, you have an excellent sense of humor! Thank you for the great chuckle!

The emoticon even has Xs over the eyes, like in the old comic books!!!

Why is it so difficult for some to believe that there are people that have had GOOD experiences with Freestyle? (Read Stakeout's message again -- I think you misread it the first time.)

bic, doncha think if people in this forum wanted freestyle dining they would already have chosen to sail with NCL instead of HAL?

I am aware that many people love NCL, but I have no first hand experience nor do you, so why would you feel the need to opine on this matter with that reference?:confused:

jc

bic, doncha think if people in this forum wanted freestyle dining they would already have chosen to sail with NCL instead of HAL?

I am aware that many people love NCL, but I have no first hand experience nor do you, so why would you feel the need to opine on this matter with that reference?:confused:

jc

I have first hand experience with NCL and their freestyle and I loved the open dining, but hated everything else about the cruise. The food and service was not to HAL or Celebrity standards. What HAL is doing is not the same as NCL’s “Freestyle” cruising. Freestyle also covers the dress code and other traditional cruise attributes. The open dining was great but the over weight women in spandex or jeans at the dining table at night kind of ruined the atmosphere of the dinner. HAL’s new open dining option (AYWD) now gives us the choice of not having to settle for a lower quality cruise line like NCL and hopefully no more spandex at dinner.

We can have the option for either Traditional seating or open dining and I am looking forward to my AYWD option on the Volendam in November. I have heard that Celebrity will have a similar open dining option by the time of our cruise on the Century next September.

Nah, it's probably the manner in which I write technical reports -- I've been trained to word things so as not to offend.

Are you sure that this is actually working?:D History doesn't really seem to be on your side on this one.:D

jc<---- just trying to help.

Are you sure that this is actually working?:D History doesn't really seem to be on your side on this one.:D

jc<---- just trying to help.

jc, almost lost my Diet Coke!!!:D Not kidding ... I had just taken a small sip and then saw your post. I'm still giggling.

BTW, regarding your response to Bicker regarding this post:

.........Read Stakeout's message again -- I think you misread it the first time.)

If I remember correctly, this poster often asks us to read posts again, suggesting that we had trouble grasping the meaning the first time. This is insulting. Most of us understand posts the first time out ... it's not rocket science here.:)

Most of us understand posts the first time out ... it's not rocket science here.:)
Figure that I'm giving people the benefit of doubt. The alternative to lack of understanding is unforgivable intolerance, some of which I've seen here has been pretty sickening. :(

Unforgiveable intolerance. I guess, I didn't know anything was unforgiveable???:confused: I have seen much more of repeating the same thing over and over again as if people were much too slow to understand it the first 25 times it was stated. Not to mention an unforgiveable attention to minute detail on other's posts. I am still trying to figure out which dog in this fight is yours.

Want my opinion? O well here goes anyway. I think it will be a major mistake to seat people with strangers every night. It will get tiresome and painful and not to just solo cruisers. If they do that then I, personally, would only eat at a table for my party only. Others cruise to socialize and for them, again in my opinion, they will miss out on the chance to make lifetime friendships that frequently occur when you get to know someone for a week or more while on a cruise. I know it has happened to us. If it becomes like lunch, where you are seated with a different batch of strangers everyday I will be eating in the Lido or specialty restaurant and I bet many experienced cruisers will do the same.

jc

............... I think it will be a major mistake to seat people with strangers every night. It will get tiresome and painful and not to just solo cruisers............. Others cruise to socialize and for them, again in my opinion, they will miss out on the chance to make lifetime friendships that frequently occur when you get to know someone for a week or more while on a cruise. I know it has happened to us...............jc

jc, exactly. And I speak, as you do, from experience. Many people who are so intensely adverse to the very idea of Traditional dining have never tried it. It's unique to cruising and that bothers some people. People by nature resist what they don't understand.

It's like saying you hate lobster, or brussel sprouts, or beets ... yet refuse to taste it.

Some come by their opinion honestly because they've had one or two bad experiences and I understand that. But in 25 years we've never had a table we didn't like. Maybe we're just fun, intelligent, interesting, and easy going people:D .

It could be that! I'll bet that's it:) .

[quote name=HeatherInFlorida;

Many people who are so intensely adverse to the very idea of Traditional dining have never tried it. It's unique to cruising and that bothers some people. People by nature resist what they don't understand.

It's like saying you hate lobster' date=' or brussel sprouts, or beets ... yet refuse to taste it.

.[/quote]

I agree...However it applies equally to those who have never experienced Freestyle, Anytime, AYWD, etc...In over 40 years of cruising I have done both, though the majority has been traditional...In my opinion each has it's good and bad points...When I first started cruising I accepted Traditional bcause that was all that was offered on most cruiselines...We now have choices which we never had before...I now prefer Anytime...Others prefer Traditional.