newbie question

My family and I will be traveling 7/7/07 on LOS and this will be our first cruise ever! We are so excited, but I have a few questions.

1. Is there a movie theater on board?

2. Can a child under the age of 7 possibly get away with nice shorts and a polo or button down shirt, no sneakers on the casual nights?

Thanks!

My family and I will be traveling 7/7/07 on LOS and this will be our first cruise ever! We are so excited, but I have a few questions.

2. Can a child under the age of 7 possibly get away with nice shorts and a polo or button down shirt, no sneakers on the casual nights?

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards! I don't know about the movie theater though I suspect there probably is one.

Shorts are NOT allowed at dinner in the dining room, no matter the age. I would suggest either docker type pants or the zip offs. The polo shirt is fine.

Babes in arms can get away with anything --shorts, etc... children of walking ages should dress according to the "guidelines". That being said, they will NOT turn your child away for shorts on casual nights.

Thanks!

My son (15) usually wears his golf attire on Casual nights minus the hat. His attire is usually made up of nice khaki shorts, and a nice golf shirt. On Formal nights he wears Black Pants, and button down shirt, and a tie (sometimes he wears a sport coat)

Got this off the website also

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?s.gifA: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women (this was not followed on my last cruise at all, saw some kids in jeans and a t-shirt)con_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women(I dont remember how close this one was followed)con_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women(followed pretty closely, I noticed not so many suits this past cruise)

Just of LOS two weeks ago:

I did see something about movies in the Cruise Compass (daily newsletter you will find on your bed each evening) - you can also order movies (some free some charge) onto your cabin television (all flat panels!).

Dress code seems to be totally up in the air. The recommended dress is slacks and shirt with collar for males on casual nights, however, each night we saw men with shorts and sandals on striding into the dining room on casual nights, and saw men in wrinkled shirts, cargo pants and sneakers going in on formal nights. The only dress code we saw enforced was requiring shoes and covered swim suits in the Windjammer (buffet restaurant).

Enjoy you cruise!

On the Brilliance EVERYONE wearing shorts in the dining room was turned away. It was so refreshing to see it enforced.

Last year on the Explorer not only did they turn away shorts but jeans also.

On the Brilliance EVERYONE wearing shorts in the dining room was turned away. It was so refreshing to see it enforced.

Interesting! And I agree, good to see it enforced. Doesn't take but a moment to return to the cabin to change, or choose another venue for dinner.

We've been taking our grandson on cruises since he was 3 (now 9), we always take the late dinner seating and feed him ahead of time (there's always somewhere to get food, if nothing else there's 24 hour a day free room service) then we take him to the Adventure Ocean club during our dinner in the dining room. He LOVES going there and is upset that he actually has to eat in the dining room on the first night cause AO is not open. We used to pick him up at 9:30 and bring him back to the dining room for dessert, until he found out about the 'late night party zone' for $5.00/hour, now we're lucky if he let's us pick him up by midnite.... For the first night there is no problem with him wearing shorts since a few people haven't gotten their luggage yet, the dress code is very relaxed that night.

This only works with late dinner seating, AO closes for a few hours during early dinner. Have a great cruise!!

Janet

We saw the signs in front of the dining room on LOS but it was not enforced based on my observation. The staff also had contact with everyone coming into the dining room because they were handing each of us antibacterial wipes as we entered, so enforcement would have been easy.

We've been taking our grandson on cruises since he was 3 (now 9), we always take the late dinner seating and feed him ahead of time (there's always somewhere to get food, if nothing else there's 24 hour a day free room service) then we take him to the Adventure Ocean club during our dinner in the dining room. He LOVES going there and is upset that he actually has to eat in the dining room on the first night cause AO is not open. We used to pick him up at 9:30 and bring him back to the dining room for dessert, until he found out about the 'late night party zone' for $5.00/hour, now we're lucky if he let's us pick him up by midnite.... For the first night there is no problem with him wearing shorts since a few people haven't gotten their luggage yet, the dress code is very relaxed that night.

This only works with late dinner seating, AO closes for a few hours during early dinner. Have a great cruise!!

Janet

Oh yes my brother would do this all the time. He would come to the dining room with us, gobble down his dinner and beg to go back up. So my mom, dad or I ended up walking him up there. It might have been a better idea to go to the buffet with him before hand. Then when we sailed with my two cousins the three of them did the same thing all over again.

My brother was quite shy too, but he would always go everynight, so I'm pretty sure if you sign up, you might see your 6 year old wanting to go too :)

Archived