Packing for PG 7/11/07: What you wish you brougt

Zitdoc

Starting to pack for our trip next week. Finally got our passports and travel docs. Besides the usual casual wear, camera, appropriate shoes, etc. are there any must not forget that previous cruisers would recommend? Always interested in suggestions. Man, I can not begin to say how excited we are.

Starting to pack for our trip next week. Finally got our passports and travel docs. Besides the usual casual wear, camera, appropriate shoes, etc. are there any must not forget that previous cruisers would recommend? Always interested in suggestions. Man, I can not begin to say how excited we are.

Hmmm. I hope Jim B. chimes in as he has a very nice packing list.

We always bring a night light so you know where you are going in the dark without having to leave the bathroom light on. Insect repellent; I did get bitten on days on land when I didn't have it. Sunscreen since the sun is very strong; DH pre-tanned and he did not get burned at all. Water shoes, the shore and water can be rocky or have sharp coral pieces, or sea urchins. Bring more than one pair if you love the water or they may not have time to dry.

Next time I am bringing a pair of water shorts; I wore my regular shorts going to the beach/snorkeling and got them icky with suncreen and sand. If I had had the water shorts I would have rinsed them out and hung them to dry.

If you are lazing on the motu you may want to bring a very cheap, very light, dollar store blow up mattress. We had them but didn't use them because we were in the water, eating, and walking around while on the motu.

Have fun!

Caroline

A travel alarm clock. I know it sounds horrible on your vacation, but it's handy for early AM tours or excursions.

Also, if you have a pre cruise hotel stay, pack those clothes on top or in a carry-on. That way you don't have to paw through and mess up your cruise clothes.

Have a great time and do report back.

You guys rock. As a dermatologist, I have to warn you about "pretanning" since it still places you at risk for skin cancer, photoaging, etc. Sun block is already in the bag. Great idea about the float. Do you think this is something we could pick up in Papeete so I do not have to place it in my luggage or is this something to pack away. I have heard many suggestions about that. I would have never thought about a travel alarm clock. Great idea since we have early excursions planned. Does the PG have some sort of wake up call? I am suprised they do not include travel clocks.

They may have alarm clocks, but I'm "new clock" challenged. I spent many a night in hundreds of hotels during my working years. I decided it was easier to take my own than figure out how all the new ones worked.

In fact as I remember it, there are no alarm clocks in the staterooms.

I have never bothered with the floats mostly for reasons related to the sun. If I'm in the water, I stay in it, and keep on my t-shirt (and sunscreen, natch.) Lying on a floating device just exposes you even more to the sun.

Reef shoes. Don't forget them.

Binoculars, if you have small ones. I have never packed them, but always wish I had.

Sounds like the start of a great list. I will email Jim as well when I get home to get his packing list. I appreciate it. Got the reef shoes, sunblock, scopalamine, claritin D, clothes, fins/mask/snorkle/shorty (gotta bring my own), camera with multiple cards, passports... oh my I need a bigger suitcase!!!!! Thanks for the help.

Got Jim's list, and it is good. I have only a few other items to mention. First, I'd add that the hat you should bring (men and women) should be one of those ugly, wide brimmed, "roll up" types with a tie-on chin strap. Then, you really need some insect repellant with the highest "Deet" concentration as possible. In Polynesia, there is an outbreak of mosquitos about every three weeks. You may be lucky and miss out on them, but you may not, and really need this stuff. As a personal matter, I also like to take a casual sports jacket. Usually wear it with jeans for the flights over. Men don't ever HAVE TO wear a jacket on the PG, but some of us want to sometimes at dinner. Besides, it gives me more pockets to carry stuff on the flights. I wouldn't bother with the alarm clock. As I said before, wake-up service is good on the PG.

We were on the PG for two weeks at the same time as Wendy & David. A few other suggestions in addition to the good ones already mentioned:

If you have time in Papeete before boarding, go to the Marche and buy one of the beautiful floral arrangements for your cabin. For $30 or so, you can have a splendid decoration of exotic flowers for your cabin .

If you have a lot of electronics (camera chargers, etc.), bring a plug strip with you. There are only a few plugs in the cabin. Also, if you use anything like a WaterPik in the bathroom, bring a 12 ft. extension cord so that you can plug it in within the cabin and use it in the bathroom.

Cheers, Fred

Dr Zit, take your travel alarm clock. I recognize a type A when I see the pixels. I, too, am one. I have learned the hard way not to trust wake-up calls. Being a type A, I would awaken at 6AM waiting to see if the phone would ring for my 7AM wake-up...no way to spend your vacation.

a rash vest for snorkelling so you don't burn your back.

a matter of personal preference - the shampoo etc provided by PG is Aveda but its rosemary and mint scented, not everyones favourite.

unless you are an avid reader, leave the books at home. PG has a small library you can borrow from, and you'll be so busy you won't really have time to read. there's a daily puzzle (usually a crossword) and sudoku puzzles too from reception.

the shop has suntan lotions etc if you should run out or want to buy on board to save space and weight.

bring alot LESS than you think you need. its very casual on board and laundry is very cheap (around $3 for a shirt), quick and good. we were on the 14 day cruise recently and had just one smallish bag (less than 20kg) for the 2 of us for all our clothes (the other was full of dive gear) and we were fine.

have fun!

Roz

• 3 months later...

We did the ruins tour on Moorea and were able to score some local insect juice. The others on our tour had US/Can recognized Off etc and they got devoured. The local stuff is designed for their bugs and we didn't have any bites. I highly recommend using some pre-cruise time to get local bug off (can't remember the name of it) in Papeete.

Enjoy!

Mike

PG 2001, 2004

I wish that I had brought more light gauze dresses.....I had 2 and wished that I had packed more....or broomstick skirts and t-shirts to match.

I had bought a cheap folding chinese fan ....I wished that I had brought more as all the ladies wanted 1. Great ice breaker. 99cents at the dollar store.

The local bug juice is Monoi oil insect repellant. You can buy it in the Marche about 50' into the Marche from the main entrance on the ground level.

Looking at the loose pearls that i bought on the Motu Mahana on Taha'a I wished that I had bought more...the lady that sets up a table and sets loose pearls had the best deal 7-8 mm $10 us 8-10mm 15us etc etc. A few tiny marks on the pearls but good enough to have rings made at home.

Buy the carved shell necklaces on the Motu ...nicer than anywhere else in FP

I wished that I would have bought more eau de cologne/perfume Reva de Tahiti at the Marche on the ground floor near the soap stalls. It is the same boxed stuff sold at the marche for 1500 cfp (17US or so) as in the Duty Free magazine on the ATN flight seat back pouch selling for 40USD

I wished I had bought more Tiare flower scented soaps for my friends.

on the electronic front, I heartily second the power strip idea -- just not enough outlets, especially for chargers. Remember, if you take a iPod and a BlackBerry (sorry, non-recovering Type A with a tri-band GSM -- they gave it to me because they expect to reach me anywhere!), you can charge both off the same charger if you take the USB - miniUSB cord.

Also, on the iPod front -- if you take a cord with a mini plug to two RCA plugs, you can play your iPod through the TV speakers.

And the floating mattresses are a wonderful thing to have on the motu day.

Is bringing a power strip a good solution for 2 women sharing a suite - blow dryers, curling irons, etc. :rolleyes:

It's more then a good solution......it's a necessity!

I wish I packed less clothes......it really is more casual then other Regent cruises.

We also took a small outdoor thermometer and left it on our balcony. It was nice to be able to read the temperatures daily. We took floats and gave them to people that were staying on for a back to back so we didn't have to carry them back in our suitcases. I heard those people then gave them to somebody else so maybe they are still making the rounds on the PG. Also attached a cord to the float so it was easy to hang onto in the water. They are impossible to use though when the current is strong or you will float away.

Pat

Thanks, Pat. I've added it to my packing list. I also appreciate knowing about the more casual attire for Regent. I have a tendency to pack way too many clothes that never get worn and just take up room in the suitcase :).

I'll keep the casual atmosphere more in mind when packing this year. I'll probably still bring along one long gown but plan to keep it simpler this cruise.

Archived