Death in Family-- Leaving Saturday

Tennessee88

Tried asking this question to the priness reps.... confusing response so i thought i would ask here

My two daughters (22 and 18) myself and my mother are booked on a cruise on the CB leaving sunday July 8 - currently my mothers sister is in the hospital and not expected to live much longer- depending on when she passes- my mother will probably not go

We all have trip insurance but if my mother cancels will i be stuck with a single price room? or could i get my husband to go in her place? and if he gets to go in her place would his fare be what it is currently (or much more expensive) or what my mother paid?

Thanks for all yur help

First, my sympathies to the family. Yes, if your mother cancels you would pay the single rate. You can replace your mother with someone else, and yes, it would be at the prevailing rate. Also, the insurance doesn't transfer to the new passenger and is not refundable to your mother.

If you all have insurance, I would call your insurance company with this question. I would think that you WOULD NOT have to pay any additional fee. I would think the insurance would cover you as a single occupant in this situation.

yes,

As I understand it the person left single in the cabin would pay the single price if one has to cancel. :)

I would check this - if your mum left it til the last minute, ie sailing day, the cruise company still keep the money and the insurance company pays out - check the booking conditions of the cruise company and see what ratio of cancellation charges you are in now, oposed to Saturday - I would hazard a guess that you are in 100 per cent cancellation charges anyway - if its 75 per cent, of course the insurance company will want you to cancel and receive the 25 per cent back from the cruise company. SO I would definitely check with the cruise company first, then your mums insurance company.

Lynda

This just doesn't seem right to me. Changing the name on the cabin isn't that big a problem, so they charge you $50 or $100 to do the change.

My question is, if the cruise is paid for, and your mother cancels, she doesn't get her money back from the cruiseline, she would get her money back from the insurance company. So the cruiseline has been paid two fares for that cabin, even if she does cancel, why should the person left in the cabin now be penalized and charged again?

And it is possible to do. My friend and her husband were booked on a Princess cruise to Great Britain. He passed away. She wanted to take her daughter in place of her husband. At first Priness said no, but after much haggling and arguing, Princess finally relented and my friend and her daughter are on their cruise right now. Hopefully it will help them adjust to their loss. Sometimes you just have to persevere.

Hello, if your mother cancels, you will not have to pay the single rate because the cabin is already paid for the two of you. Your mother will be getting the money back from the insurance company so the cruise line really doesn't care if it's one or two people in there.

I agree with gabbymama (and mike who posted at the same time and said the same thing as me). The cruise is already paid for, there will be no additional charges from the cruiseline. They already have their money, whether mom goes or not. And since you have trip insurance, your mom will be reimbursed if she has to cancel. (assuming the plan covers death by a relative)

I believe that IF you are going to change the reservation to your husband's name, you'd need to do it 3 days out so that his name gets all the post 9/11 clearance.

My condolences to you and your family.

thanks everyone for the quick replies.... we talked to the TA and to princess again and figured out that we can do a change of name for 50$ as along as it is 24 hrs before sailing.... i also dont think it seems right for the person to be stuck paying for the single but apparently that is what they do.....so we shall see thanks again for your replies!

I would definitely check with my TA about this. It's my understanding that you can change the name of the 2nd passenger for a cost of $50. The cabin is paid for (the insurance co pays the passenger, not Princess) so there wouldn't be additional charges in that case but I believe you have to do this within 5 days of departure so check immediately. I believe this also applies if the 2nd person has to cancel or doesn't go: the cabin is paid for and the passenger is reimbursed by the insurance.

But absolutely, positively check with your TA.

We all posted at the same time.

Here's a hypothetical: what if your Mom doesn't cancel and just doesn't go at the last minute? The other person shouldn't be charged a single rate and your Mom would be reimbursed by the insurance.

First my sympathy for your family.

I think there is an important question you need to ask the insurance company, and it is indelicate, so I apologize but just want to point this out.

Will the insurance company pay if your mom cancels her voyage before her sister dies?? I have never read those insurance clauses before, but I would wonder if they will pay for a cancellation under the circumstances that her doctor doesn't give her long to live, or only if there is an avtal death in the family.

I apologize for the crass question, you certainly do not need to answer it here. I just bring it up so that you can make sure you understand your insurance companies answer.

If you all have insurance, I would call your insurance company with this question. I would think that you WOULD NOT have to pay any additional fee. I would think the insurance would cover you as a single occupant in this situation.

Wrong.................

I was booked for a April 28 2007 cruise on the Crown . My cousin and travel companion passed on March 27 2007 very suddenly at age 49. We all had Berkeley Care insurance through Princess. I was booked along with another cousin in a mini-suite....three of us. We were given the option to paid for my deceased cousin's fare or give up the mini-suite. There were seven of us going...so we just cancelled the cruise since it was suppose to be for my cousin's 50th birthday.

So I'm sure you can add your husband for a fee with Princess or you'll have to paid the single rate on that fare.

First my sympathy for your family.

I think there is an important question you need to ask the insurance company, and it is indelicate, so I apologize but just want to point this out.

Will the insurance company pay if your mom cancels her voyage before her sister dies?? I have never read those insurance clauses before, but I would wonder if they will pay for a cancellation under the circumstances that her doctor doesn't give her long to live, or only if there is an avtal death in the family.

I apologize for the crass question, you certainly do not need to answer it here. I just bring it up so that you can make sure you understand your insurance companies answer.

Actually...it's a very good question:)

Tried asking this question to the priness reps.... confusing response so i thought i would ask here

My two daughters (22 and 18) myself and my mother are booked on a cruise on the CB leaving sunday July 8 - currently my mothers sister is in the hospital and not expected to live much longer- depending on when she passes- my mother will probably not go

We all have trip insurance but if my mother cancels will i be stuck with a single price room? or could i get my husband to go in her place? and if he gets to go in her place would his fare be what it is currently (or much more expensive) or what my mother paid?

Thanks for all yur help

No practical help to offer, but that's a bummer on so many counts. Hope it all works out. Big loves from Scotland.

xxxxxx

This is not a question to throw out to all of us so-called "experts" on a bulletin board. It is a very technical question that depends on the date of cancellation, the type of accomodations booked, the type of insurance you have and a host of other factors. What happened to some other poster in some other circumstance doesn't mean much.

The person who is on your side in this is your TA. If she is a good one she will be working hard on this to get you accurate information. I don't quite understand why you are also talking to Princess yourself?? Your TA is the one paid and experienced in dealing with cruise line Customer Non-Service people. Let her earn her commission (and the extra good commission she got on your insurance) by doing the work and getting the correct answers.

Good luck!

Notwithstanding that makeup face agreed to the extortion from Princess, the information is inaccurate. A minisuite sells on two passengers, and the third person basically pays for port charges, taxes and the food, hence the drastically reduced fare. Also, if outside the thirty days, perhaps the final payment was not due, but I suspect someone from Princess gave inaccurate information. Whether the person just didn't know, or they needed the mini-suite for another person, but you cannot be forced from a mini-suite if two of the original passengers are still traveling.

As to the OP's dilemna, I suggest you need to look at the terms of the insurance contract, but I can't imagine that the terminal illness of a sister would not qualify for reimbursement. When we went to Alaska two years ago on the Sapphire, one member of our party had to cancel because of her father's terminal illness. The other person in her cabin paid no more, for the simple reason that the cabin was paid for in full. The insurance company reimbursed the costs to the friend who did not travel. Now if you substitute the husband, obviously no refund is due. But if the substitution is allowed, nothing more than the name change fee would be due. OP should stand firm on that.

Notwithstanding that makeup face agreed to the extortion from Princess, the information is inaccurate. A minisuite sells on two passengers, and the third person basically pays for port charges, taxes and the food, hence the drastically reduced fare. Also, if outside the thirty days, perhaps the final payment was not due, but I suspect someone from Princess gave inaccurate information. Whether the person just didn't know, or they needed the mini-suite for another person, but you cannot be forced from a mini-suite if two of the original passengers are still traveling.

As to the OP's dilemna, I suggest you need to look at the terms of the insurance contract, but I can't imagine that the terminal illness of a sister would not qualify for reimbursement. When we went to Alaska two years ago on the Sapphire, one member of our party had to cancel because of her father's terminal illness. The other person in her cabin paid no more, for the simple reason that the cabin was paid for in full. The insurance company reimbursed the costs to the friend who did not travel. Now if you substitute the husband, obviously no refund is due. But if the substitution is allowed, nothing more than the name change fee would be due. OP should stand firm on that.

Excuse me....hot......but did you go through the last three and 1/2 months with me... dealing with Berkeley Car and Princess.....because I don't know you....so what would you know what I was told....other then what I posted which was very little about my situation. I never said I was "forced" to give up my mini-suite!! The information you used in your attack is totally incorrect as far as my situation was concern. Post what you know......and not what you suspect!!

Excuse me....hot......but did you go through the last three and 1/2 months with me... dealing with Berkeley Car and Princess.....because I don't know you....so what would you know what I was told....other then what I posted which was very little about my situation. I never said I was "forced" to give up my mini-suite!! The information you used in your attack is totally incorrect as far as my situation was concern. Post what you know......and not what you suspect!!

What? Attack??

You jumped on here, strongly disagreeing with someone else, based on a single instance in your experience. Someone else responded to your post, in a much more friendly tone than you used when you said "WRONG!!" If you think that disagreeing with you constitutes an "attack" you won't last long in discussions here!

Now, I will repeat what I said before: Listening to advice from so-called "experts" based on their limited experience is not wise here. I think the OP needs professional advice from their TA, not off the cuff ideas from any of us. I think that applies to both of you. If you think I am "attacking" you both, you don't know what discussion is.:p

What? Attack??

You jumped on here, strongly disagreeing with someone else, based on a single instance in your experience. Someone else responded to your post, in a much more friendly tone than you used when you said "WRONG!!" If you think that disagreeing with you constitutes an "attack" you won't last long in discussions here!

Now, I will repeat what I said before: Listening to advice from so-called "experts" based on their limited experience is not wise here. I think the OP needs professional advice from their TA, not off the cuff ideas from any of us. I think that applies to both of you. If you think I am "attacking" you both, you don't know what discussion is.:p

Excuse me...Mike....since I have been on the board over six years...I won't be going anyway anytime soon......actually I didn't know you were also hotmike....and that is who I was responding to...however appreciate the key stokes.

Tennessee88, Did you purchase Princess insurance? If yes, you and your mother should both be covered by insurance. If another policy, you are covered if you cancel for a covered reason. In this case, your aunt's current hospitalization may not be a covered reason, if she has had the underlying illness as a pre-existing condition; although do note that the Princess policy usually only applies pre-existing conditions limits to the traveling persons--non-traveling family members are supposed to be exempt. If she passes prior to the cruise start date, then sadly that IS a covered reason under most policies; you and/or your mother could cancel and be covered by insurance. If only your mother cancels and you decide to continue, your single rate payment would be be re-imbursable under your own insurance.

Mike is correct in that your TA should be able to help you on this. If you booked directly with Princess, then you need to contact your insurance carrier and ask them to step you through your options.

When we went to Alaska two years ago on the Sapphire, one member of our party had to cancel because of her father's terminal illness. The other person in her cabin paid no more, for the simple reason that the cabin was paid for in full. The insurance company reimbursed the costs to the friend who did not travel. Now if you substitute the husband, obviously no refund is due. But if the substitution is allowed, nothing more than the name change fee would be due. OP should stand firm on that.

I agree with Hotmike98. I too have experience with this. Years ago, my roommate cancelled after final payment for medical reasons. She was reimbursed for her cruise fare. I went on the cruise, did not pay anymore money and had the cabin to myself. We had Princess insurance.

Archived