Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Peter, Thank you so much for sharing the link to your review. It was interesting to read, and I confess I paid much more attention to the SD parts. Must get ready to go get my SD in training for a weekend visit. We have football games to go to, a fair and maybe a college tail-gait party. Might pass on the tail-gate part. Better go check and see if I have bandana's in all the appropriate team colors for my visits.

Peter, thanks for the link to your review. I'm going on that same cruise in early October (but on NCL Jewel)...but was interested specifically in the sections about the towns you visited, as that is the same itinerary we'll be on.

You're quite right -- Quebec really is not very accessible. I'm in a wheelchair, and it's a huge challenge..but worth the effort! A lovely city. We spent a week there, and knowing what a challenge it would be to get around in a wheelchair, booked a hotel at the top of a hill, rolled our way down each day, then caught a cab back up! :)

Thanks for the review!

Peter, Susan, Cameron and Werin: WOW! WOW! WOW! What a fabulous journey you took us all on!!!! I loved it! And, the visual aids were superb!!!!!!

I want to do Quebec so badly but am very tentative because of the access problems......Also, CCI is now training the new pups to use escalators....It will make shopping and traveling so much easier!!!! I want to teach Brenny (we're going to a work-shop at CCI, in October, I think I'll bring up the escalator thing) and get some insights!

Why didn't you have HAL put Werin's Potty Box on your veranda? Just curious!

I so dislike when other passengers use the potty box as a giant ash tray or a trash disposal! I finally made signs that say....."DOGS POTTY BOX- PLEASE DO NOT DISGARD REFUGE" and I bring them with me when I cruise-just in case the box is placed in a public area!!! I must say 98% of the public are so, so wonderful about Service Dogs and their being in public places.....the other 2% can be troublesome, to say the least! I have had problems with taxi cabs and some touring buses.....Traveling with an SD is becoming easier and easier.....it takes time!!! And, education of the masses!

Peter, thanks so much for sharing your adventures with Werin......I love reading them!

Don't even think about not going. Disney is the best place to take a service dog, as all the staff is extremely well trained, knows what to do, and helps out through everything. It is a dream. We have been and it was one of our most enjoyable trips! (aside from cruising that is).

We all just got back from our Boston to Montreal trip with Werin and Cameron. Here are the pics.

Set One: http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=48998&l=27c21&id=648466808

Set Two: http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=49079&l=813d4&id=648466808

Set Three: http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=49084&l=03314&id=648466808

Here is the cruise review with all the details: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=834900

The only thing that's making us a little nervous is on one of our CCI

training outings,we went to a small amusement park. Orson got a

little nervous when there was alot of noise. We are planning on taking

him to a few local places where there will be crowds and noise. We'll

see how he handles it. If I had to guess right now, I'd say we will most

likely be going. We will take it nice and slow in the parks. We will go in

and out of the parks until he feels more comfortable.

Awwww! I feel the same way about those parks..:o ....I'm sure with your gentle and loving guidance he'll start feeling safer and safer!

Let us know how it goes!

Brenda is very fearful of the passageways between buildings that are open.....and stairs that don't have closesures.

On Princess, and on the Celebrity Summit; the stairs in the main foyer are all open and she has a difficult time going up and down them......we do it over and over again but I can tell she doesn't like it!!!! She won't refuse walking on the passageway but she insists on walking against the wall (if there is one) and will not walk against openings or glass windows that are above the first floor! She move to the other side of me....I move her back and just keep walking!!!!

They're just like people....somethings make them fearful and some don't......it doesn't really hamper her work....I just insist that she go with the flow!!! ;)

Roz:

I found one of carts in fingerhut for $29.99! It didn't say how many pounds it holds, but looks just like the one from Brynlane. Still thinking about it. Looks like the way to travel.

Reno is beside himself. We had to have all the grout in our tiles areas removed. For some reason, it was all chipping out. Needless to say, Reno doesn't have any tile area to lay on right now. He looks and sounds so miserable. I even got a small fan and plugged it in for him! That works for awhile. The things we do for our furbabies! :)

Good shopper! I love my cart and wouldn't be without it for going to all means of transportation. We even use it when boarding planes. The TSA lets my DH push it through and I put all of our stuff and Brenda's stuff in it to walk to the door of the plane....then, they put a "tag" on it and we don't see it again until we deplane!

It really holds a lot and my DH will use it, while he won't use a walker!!!!! (It looks more like a shopping cart but serves the purpose of helping with balance, etc.)

Reno, I'm coming over right now to pick you up....it's so cool in L.A. today, it feels like winter is already here. I'm sure that will change....it's the "give it 10 minutes, it's bound to change, thing", I swear we're getting more like Texas every year! Our humidity gets worse every year!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone! Talk to you next week! :)

Hello everyone. Thanks for all your comments about your trip. We loved it so much, that we booked it again for next year. Quebec access or lack thereof will not get us down.

SScruisers - Thanks, and Cameron and Werin are very handsome together

Sunshine - We have Werin with her Philadelphia Flyers bandana when we head to games. Everyone loves her.

Uppitycats - I agree on Quebec being worth the effort. In fact, my point was that it was a good thing that I was mobile as I could scope out the route. In fact, from the hotel (Marriott) to the train station I found a way that was level the whole way on the main street, and a straight shot into the station. Just took some extra walking around to find it. The Queen Elizabeth is also a good spot if coming by train, since it has an elevator right to the lobby from the train station.

Roz -Because Cam is mobile and we want to get walks in for Werin, we kept it in a separate spot. The location was perfect. We took our walks on the promenade, then one deck down with non-public stairs at the stern of the ship was her box. It was a crew deck with an opening to the outside on the stern, which was perfect, because, we would take an empty plastic water bottle and let her off leash to play around catching the water bottle. It is a long day's work on a cruise ship, and it was great having the separate space to bounce around in, without having to worry about other passengers seeing her "be a dog".

Disneykid's Dad - WDW is great for service dogs and there are so many places to hang out and take a break out of the way of everyone else. There shouldn't be a lot of people there at this time of year and sometimes getting outside the park can be more trouble than it is worth.

You may have already found these sites, but there are several that have great tips for having a service dog at Disney.

http://allears.net/pl/service.htm

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disabvisual.htm#pooch

Another thing you can do to give a "day off" is board in the kennel during the day http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/wdwguide/3_Tripplan/planning_ahead/pets.htm

Just make sure you have your bordetella up to date before you go and bring your paperwork.

Service animals in the Disney parks, normally enter through the disability entrance. Also, you can do "switch offs" similar to families with small children. The idea is that for some rides you may want to go on, your service dog can't go. So one in the party stays with the service dog, while the rest of the family goes on, then you "switch off" without having to wait again. Cameron adored this as he got to ride things twice, while we were switching off. Susan would go with him first for example on fastpass, then they would come out, and Susan would stay with Werin, while I went with Cameron through the disability line or fastpass line. Just ask any of the staff and they are READY to help! The Guide for individuals with Disabilities has all the details. Pick one up before you head into the park at Customer Service.

Service dogs are allowed to relieve themselves in the park (bring your bags and cleaning items), but it can be tricky with gates around grass areas. We have always asked and found great spots with some help that are out of the way in every park. Sometimes there are "cast areas" that are the best choice -- just ask.

Due to the black pavement at many of the parks, we carry paw wax with us for her protection, and move towards cement pavers all the time.

I know you will have a great time! If you have any other questions, just let me know. (dvdfreakmc@yahoo.com)

SScruisers - Thanks, and Cameron and Werin are very handsome together

her off leash to play around catching the water bottle

I am so embarassed :oreferring to Werin as handsome! She is beautiful and Cameron is handsome! I shouldn't have assumed.

Reno's favorite toy when he was younger was the empty gallon water bottles. He would smash it down, put one paw on it and slide it across the garage floor, like a scooter. We finally had to get stronger, sturdier plastic bottles because he would sit and power chew them! That's a great idea for a quick, easy toy. You have them with you anyway.

Nancy

I am so embarassed :oreferring to Werin as handsome! She is beautiful and Cameron is handsome! I shouldn't have assumed.

Reno's favorite toy when he was younger was the empty gallon water bottles. He would smash it down, put one paw on it and slide it across the garage floor, like a scooter. We finally had to get stronger, sturdier plastic bottles because he would sit and power chew them! That's a great idea for a quick, easy toy. You have them with you anyway.

Nancy

No worries at all, Nancy. Werin is a really unusual name (Her litter were the "W's" obviously. Not exactly a clear indication) Werin loves making noise, but pulls the stuffing out of squeaky toys and tries to eat the squeaker, so we have found empty water bottles to be much cheaper, just as noisy and our bit to recycle (ha, ha).

Yes, understandable. Reno had a stuffed lion when we brought him home. He was 6 weeks old. The lion had bright orange hair on top and we named it Dennis Rodman. He loved that toy and was good with it for a long time. Then something clicked and now if you give him a stuffed toy, he promptly sits down and power chews if to death. The squeaker toys were never a good thing. He did the same as Werin. I have only found Kong toys to withstand his teeth. I also buy him the package bones, about 6-8 inches long. I use to get them at the butcher counter, but they only have the small round ones anymore. I boil the bone in chicken broth for him. He goes nuts until its cool enough for him to chew on. But, now every time I boil eggs, he thinks its a bone for him!

No worries at all, Nancy. Werin is a really unusual name (Her litter were the "W's" obviously. Not exactly a clear indication) Werin loves making noise, but pulls the stuffing out of squeaky toys and tries to eat the squeaker, so we have found empty water bottles to be much cheaper, just as noisy and our bit to recycle (ha, ha).

So funny what they make their toys out of! Kind of like toddlers at Christmas, happier with the paper and boxes than the gifts. I've noticed that the lab mixes I bring home really seem to like harder toys, and the golden's the soft ones. Both dogs usually have a soft mouth, so I wonder what makes the difference?

I love trying to figure out what litter a dog is from based on their name. I think many service dog training groups do this. I'll confess I don't know much about skate boards, so the skateboard litter really threw me off, but I had the Harry Potter litter down as soon as I met Phoenix and Granger.

Question for you experienced amusement park attendees. Has anyone ever toured Six Flags with their service dog? We live near a Six Flags, and it might be a good training day as well as some fun for us.

We haven't done Six Flags, but have done Hersheypark a number of times. it was fine as well, but not as good as Disney.

Going to an amusement park is great practice for distractions, and practicing your "please don't pet the dog" speech as many come to ask questions.

Yeah for Buddy. A German Shepherd, SD, that lives in Phoenix, AZ with his dad who has seizures. The seizures are from a head injury in a military training accident. Buddy is trained to call 911 when dad has a seizure. This is the 3rd time he has called and saved his dad! :DEar scratches and hugs to Buddy.

Nancy

Yeah for Buddy. A German Shepherd, SD, that lives in Phoenix, AZ with his dad who has seizures. The seizures are from a head injury in a military training accident. Buddy is trained to call 911 when dad has a seizure. This is the 3rd time he has called and saved his dad! :DEar scratches and hugs to Buddy.

Nancy

How great is that. What a miracle Buddy is!

Nancy

This is what my SD who is a 10 pound Japanese Chin does. She can also detect my husband's drop in blood sugar. I have MS and she detects the problems that I have with that also. She is not only my cuddle bug but also my life saver:p

This is what my SD who is a 10 pound Japanese Chin does. She can also detect my husband's drop in blood sugar. I have MS and she detects the problems that I have with that also. She is not only my cuddle bug but also my life saver:p

She is absolutely amazing, I'm in AWE of her and how do they train her to know all of this?????? Lucky you and lucky her! Nancie:cool:

I am simply amazed at the intuition these guys have! I know when I'm upset Reno will come over and sit in front of me and just stare. Like, Mom, what can I do? Those ginormous brown eyes get me everytime and I forget what I was upset about!

Kudos to all our furbabies. They have more insite than most humans! :D

Many of the dogs I work with will go on to be placed as a seizure response dog. They can be trained to respond when their person has a seizure including speed dialing to 911. For some the dogs will go get medications, for some the dog can lie ontop of the person to keep safe during a seizure, for some it will be to go get the caretaker(ie mom or dad), etc

The exciting thing is that many of these dogs develop the ability to detect the seizure prior to onset. They can then be an early warning system. Perhaps warning that person to sit down, lie down, etc.

I love the story of Buddy, because it shows off the value of the service dog. Many people still think they are only for the blind.

I thought "Werin" was a boy too! I should know better...CCI does name their puppies, in each litter, with the alphabet......One of Brenda's sister was Beulah!!!!! How funny!!! I get enough "giggles" from people when they ask her name and I tell them "Brenda", especially the girls who are named Brenda!!!! I rarely call her by her name, anyway!!!! She's used to it and it works for us!!!!!

CCI gave us a patch for Brenda's vest that says, very boldly: "PLEASE DO NOT-PET I'M WORKING!" I can't tell you how many people say; "I'm sorry, I just now read the patch!" That's after they've already reached for her and started petting!!!!!

I understand their AWE of these dogs. And, I too, would have a very hard time not touching them!

We live near the train accident that happened, last week. There were several "Search Dogs" that were called to action. And, watching them was, again, an awe inspiring event.

I just ADORE the working dog and, of course, the "fur babies" that stay at home and take care of their "people", with their devotion and love!!!!! :)

Many of the dogs I work with will go on to be placed as a seizure response dog. They can be trained to respond when their person has a seizure including speed dialing to 911. For some the dogs will go get medications, for some the dog can lie ontop of the person to keep safe during a seizure, for some it will be to go get the caretaker(ie mom or dad), etc

The exciting thing is that many of these dogs develop the ability to detect the seizure prior to onset. They can then be an early warning system. Perhaps warning that person to sit down, lie down, etc.

I love the story of Buddy, because it shows off the value of the service dog. Many people still think they are only for the blind.

I for one certainly did! I have learned so much reading this board and have fallen in love with all these magnificent animals! How do you teach them all these things, seizures, blood sugar drop, calling 911 etc.? It's juost amazing! Nancie

Nancie;

I just wish I could get the grandson to do half the things the furbabies do! Now that would be amazing. I know my furbaby has a routine and habit, so I guess training would work the same way. Of course mine would look at me like I was crazy if I tried to have him dial the phone.

The other Nancy

One of my friends has a dog that has been trained to physically place his body on top of hers to keep her from "thrashing", she has a seizure disorder and has been known to hurt herself, severly!

To watch her dog lean against her (forcing her against a wall) and then holding her there until she "slithers" to the floor; then placing his body on hers,(with his head facing her face and his eyes staring into hers) until she's strong enough to command him to "release"; he then gets off of her and lies beside her.......it's such a sight. She's on medication, now and doesn't seize as much as she used to but in the beginning it was at least 3 times a day.

Her dog watches her like a hawk and lies beside her, while she sleeps. When she wakes, he wakes! Such devotion!

The training process took three people and 3 days and the dog had the training down pat!

He's a cross between a Lab and a Retreiver....he's huge and looks like a Great Dane with a giant head!!!!! Such a hero!